Rogue One

Tsuujou

• 1 month later...

Eh, not really too interested in it, I already don't like the main character (seems like a generic rebellious teenager based on the awful dialog in the trailers), and I wasn't really a fan of Abrams' directing and writing of Episode 7, so I doubt I will like this one much more...

1 hour ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

I'm a SW fiend, I'll see it. Not sure about the new lead character and the lack of bothan spies disturbs me.

I'm hype for it. Aside from the retreading done in Episode 7, that was my favorite movie last year (I can't believe that movie's a year old now. Feels like I saw it last month, my GOD 2016 breezed by). 

3 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

I'm hype for it. Aside from the retreading done in Episode 7, that was my favorite movie last year (I can't believe that movie's a year old now. Feels like I saw it last month, my GOD 2016 breezed by). 

I hated Rey (not only for ruining my 'sona's name :V) because she was so fucking Mary Sue. Ever bigger a Mary Sue than where the term comes from. Poor writing, left way too much to coincidence. Fucking hell people trained for decades to learn how to manipulate the force and study to become technicians but no, Rey knew everything always and learned things she had no idea existed faster than people who trained for their entire lives and.... I could go on forever. Rey sucks. Gotta drive that "independent womyn who need no man" theme too hard eh Disney?

Fuck Poe Dameron too for being inhumanely good.

Kylo Ren though, neat new villain. Moral issues and raw, rookie style to him as a sith apprentice.

Colonel Hux was cool too, had the balls to defy a sith and treat Kylo like a kid he is.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

I hated Rey (not only for ruining my 'sona's name :V) because she was so fucking Mary Sue. Ever bigger a Mary Sue than where the term comes from. Poor writing, left way too much to coincidence. Fucking hell people trained for decades to learn how to manipulate the force and study to become technicians but no, Rey knew everything always and learned things she had no idea existed faster than people who trained for their entire lives and.... I could go on forever. Rey sucks. Gotta drive that "independent womyn who need no man" theme too hard eh Disney?

Fuck Poe Dameron too for being inhumanely good.

Kylo Ren though, neat new villain. Moral issues and raw, rookie style to him as a sith apprentice.

Colonel Hux was cool too, had the balls to defy a sith and treat Kylo like a kid he is.

This pretty well summarizes how I felt about Episode 7 too; it seemed like a fan-fiction rewrite of A New Hope, where everything had to be bigger and flashier (ex: Starkiller Base: It's just like the Death Star, except now IT'S A PLANET that can SHOOT ACROSS THE GALAXY!) and many of the main characters are over-the-top Mary Sues.

I feel like it could have been a lot better if Abrams had decided to tread new ground with the story and not relied so heavily on a trope character for the main hero, but I expect with the popularity of 7 we will continue to see the same from subsequent movies (I only hope that 8 isn't just a rehash of 5).

Just now, Osrik said:

This pretty well summarizes how I felt about Episode 7 too; it seemed like a fan-fiction rewrite of A New Hope, where everything had to be bigger and flashier (ex: Starkiller Base: It's just like the Death Star, except now IT'S A PLANET that can SHOOT ACROSS THE GALAXY!) and many of the main characters are over-the-top Mary Sues.

I feel like it could have been a lot better if Abrams had decided to tread new ground with the story and not relied so heavily on a trope character for the main hero, but I expect with the popularity of 7 we will continue to see the same from subsequent movies (I only hope that 8 isn't just a rehash of 5).

I mean we had a huge fucking PLANET that shot a SOLAR SYSTEM with a single shot introduced and destroyed in the same movie. Let's not forget the beam magically just fucking split for no reason to land a perfect hit on them all. Could've just left that base as an end-goal for the new trilogy but no, this was way too fast.

What do we have for the next one? A galaxy that fucks galaxies? by sucking out the black hole energy from a nearby star cluster? There's only a point where anything makes sense anymore and gets too over the top. Episode VII already was too over the top for my taste.

Some credits where credit is due though, I liked the grittier take on the universe, even if it was overshadowd by the ridiculousness.

2 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

You can go hump a cactus, my guy.
You smelly dog. You piece of ass. NO ONE TAKES WIKI LEAKS SERIOUSLY!!! NO ONE!!!

Well, the first ones would be tolerable, I mean, if the storm troopers didn't look absolutely retarded.

Then you got the prequels that even Star Wars fans hate.

Then you've got whatever shit Mickey Mouse is squeezing out his asshole now. Something about a corporate cash grab and a Mary Sue...

Go watch something from the Alien Aliens franchise aside from Alien: Resurrection. You can watch Sigourney Weaver pretend to run around a space station in her panties while a penis-mouth monster tries to tap that flat ass.

Also, WikiHow will forgive you for your slander if you apologize.

4 minutes ago, Hux said:

Well, the first ones would be tolerable, I mean, if the storm troopers didn't look absolutely retarded.

Then you've got whatever shit Mickey Mouse is squeezing out his asshole now. Something about a corporate cash grab and a Mary Sue...

Go watch something from the Alien Aliens franchise aside from Alien: Resurrection. You can watch Sigourney Weaver pretend to run around a space station in her panties while a penis-mouth monster tries to tap that flat ass.

Alien is gud, yes. :u

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hux said:

I think Alien: Resurrection was better than Ayylien 3. Man that prison shit was stupid.

The only retarded thing about stormtroopers is that they can't aim at all

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

I think Alien: Resurrection was better than Ayylien 3. Man that prison shit was stupid.

The only retarded thing about stormtroopers is that they can't aim at all

Well, they both sucked, but Alien 3 at least had an interesting atmosphere. Resurrection was just a straight up train wreck.

Also, storm troopers have the stupidest armor. Space Marines would slaughter their asses and look better doing it.

28 minutes ago, Hux said:

Well, they both sucked, but Alien 3 at least had an interesting atmosphere. Resurrection was just a straight up train wreck.

Also, storm troopers have the stupidest armor. Space Marines would slaughter their asses and look better doing it.

Well if we start comparing soldiers to the most ridiculous war universe.... Yes Stormies would be utterly fucked.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2016 at 0:02 AM, Zerig said:

i don't understand this movie tbh

everyone knows Kyle Katarn stole the first Death Star plans...

Ahhh, and to think I just started playing Dark Forces. Thanks.

So, I saw the new movie the Thursday it came out... probably one of the first public screenings in the nation.

I generally liked it, felt that it was better than Force Awakens, almost as good as the originals, felt like a good SW movie in it's own right. Had some issues with it though. Don't want to say shit lest I spoil it.

Is this going to be a spoil-free thread, or are we going to spoil this to death here?

Nothing like Dark Forces. 0/10. :V

I got back from seeing it and I liked it. Spoilers:

It was a pretty good Star Wars film. Finally we can say there is a good Star Wars prequel. I liked the various throwbacks to Episode IV to really tie together the canon. The second half was probably the best part of the movie because it turned more into a war movie, just like the name "Star Wars" implies. I was also surprised that Darth Vader wasn't just a fanservice cameo; He actually had a reason to be in the movie since he was orchestrating the whole Death Star thing. The final scene where Princess Leia is handed the Death Star plans was kind of sad due to recent events but unintentionally made it more powerful.

My biggest qualm with the movie is that the main characters were pretty uninteresting. They both seemed like stock Lawful Good and Chaotic Good characters, respectively. I also cannot remember any of the character names, which is a really bad for a Star Wars movie which relies on loads and loads of characters. Another problem I had with the film is that the Death Star seems to work way too goddamn slow. In Episode IV, Alderaan is wiped out immediately but in this movie it's gradual which leads to a complete bullshit save from the main characters getting off an exploding planet. I'm also conflicted about the ending. Some characters were incredibly interesting and would be interesting to see in other movies. However, it illustrates that the battle was, overall, a failure but lead to the Alliance's victory.

Overall: B-

• Like 1

I'm not too dump to make a spoiler embed here, I'm just too lazy, so

SPOILERS FOLLOWING!

Lovely movie really. Episode 7 was total crap, since it was literally just A New Hope. People liked it because it was new, not because it was good.

Don't believe me?

But anyways, this one was amazing. A well plotted out story, great characters and an unconventional way of storytelling. Visuals and Audio great as always expected from ILM, and this time the content was great too. Could've gone without 3D though, just made the entire movie dark as fuck, but a minor problem.

Need to see it again to be sure, but it has good chances to get in my personal Top 3 movies of all times list

Saw the Rogue One yesterday

I feel like the movie is worth watching for star wars fans who need to know a little bit more about the universe, in this case, the Rogue One patched the plot hole

SPOILERS AHEAD

On 12/28/2016 at 6:57 AM, Kosha said:

SPOILERS

Hide contents

of previous star wars episodes, which was the rebels getting their hands on the schematics of the death star, revealing its weak point, which unsurprisingly, was created intentionally out of spite to sabotage the empire. 

I feel like the character development just didn't work. They were tossed straight into action, given too little time and too many characters to introduce who all competed for attention of whom most ended up dying anyway during the course of the movie. What was pleasant however is that for once, the "protagonist" (just barely), Jyn, wasn't Force sensitive and did not survive to end credits. In fact, most rebels didn't survive yet the battles in which they fought were considered victorious. That must have left quite a dent in their ranks. 

The ending however, was spectacular, especially if you want to see Darth Vader and was the final nail in the coffin to confirm at which point of star wars timeline the Rogue One took place

Overall, the whole movie felt quite dark, barely any humor in it, action packed, especially towards the end and storm troopers still have their legendary, meme status aim. As such the plot is simple but necessary for the sake of being necessary to the integrity of star wars story and universe. It felt like a war movie moreso than drama, which the classic movies are more like. 

Go see it if you've seen the classic movies: Episodes 4-6

Also, there was something weird about CGI effects. It felt... rustic and antiquated 

Edited by Snagged Cub
I don't know how to create spoilers so I just stole Kosha's spoiler instead :p
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Let's not forget that the Star Wars Franchise also made this all but forgotten gem, which all fans should be forced to watch! (Two of them, actually):

It's like George Lucas didn't learn a thing from the Holiday Special and decided to try again. And people wonder why the Prequels ended up so bad....

"Incredible special effects from ILM" um, was those special effects done by the interns?

Some initial thoughts about Rogue One

In Return of the Jedi during the space battle of Endor, there's all these capital ships, the star destroyers and rebel cruisers and frigates, and oddly enough some blockade runners and freight transports like they had on Hoth, though I'm not sure what kind of weapons those small craft would have. But the large capital ships didn't seem to do much shooting at each other. Part of this is because they spent a lot of the fight apart, they didn't start to mingle until after the Death Star started blowing the rebel fleet up. And after reviewing the battle, there is one scene I saw where a rebel frigate is side-by-side with a star destroyer and they do seem to be shooting at each other.

Move to the Rogue One battle in space, where you have a whole bunch of rebel capital ships, and two Star Destroyers. And the capital ships seem to do nothing. So, why are they there in the first place? I'll give Episode 3 credit for having the ships actually shoot at each other. And then, when they're about to leave with the plans, Darth Vader shows up with ONE STAR DESTROYER and takes out the rest of the fleet. What kind of fucking Star Destroyer is that to be able to wipe the map of multiple ships?

And another thing that bugs me is that Vader watches Leia's ship leave with the plans, which makes it harder for her to say "I'm on a diplomatic mission" in A New Hope. Herp.

• 2 months later...
On 04/01/2017 at 1:20 AM, Crazy Lee said:

t's like George Lucas didn't learn a thing from the Holiday Special and decided to try again.

It's worse than that. George Lucas didn't have anything to do with the Holiday Special other than licensing it. 'Ewok Adventure' was George Lucas looking at the Holiday Special and thinking 'Right, that was embarrassing! I can do better than that! Time for some damage control!'

Oh how wrong you were, mr Lucas.

But to be honest the Star Wars franchise was three great movies that splurged a massive amount of ancillary material. There's bound to be a lot of crap in the sheer quantity of stuff based upon it, especially given the number of different production companies involved. It is rather sad, though, that there are fan films more watchable than something Lucas himself took direct control over.

It's odd...I saw the three first movies, but lost interest after that. Not sure why. Maybe the whole force thing started to seem hokey, and the whole light side and dark side aspect, and even as I rejected ideas like good and evil, and Heaven and Hell, I started to rebel against such dichotomies at a young age. I think I was 10 when the first one came out, but a few years later, was already entering that rebellious, angsty phase...that I have really left, come to think of it!

I do wanna see the Holiday special, so I can see Bea Arthur of Golden Girls fame as a barmaid get to do a musical number...that sounds amusing!

• Like 1