General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

6 minutes ago, SirRob said:

That's it I am blocking everyone on this forum so that I can only see my own posts

Block THIS

....................../´¯/)

....................,/¯../

.................../..../

............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸

........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\

........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')

.........\.................'...../

..........''...\.......... _.·´

............\..............(

..............\.............\...

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Of course I don't find out about really interesting books until AFTER Christmas :U

https://www.amazon.com/Being-Dog-Following-World-Smell/dp/1476795991/

Pfff, who needs a book about stupid old dogs when you can learn all about the genius of birds?

41nh5b-RJwL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Genius-Birds-Jennifer-Ackerman/dp/1594205213

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

Of course I don't find out about really interesting books until AFTER Christmas :U

https://www.amazon.com/Being-Dog-Following-World-Smell/dp/1476795991/

1 hour ago, Osrik said:

Pfff, who needs a book about stupid old dogs when you can learn all about the genius of birds?

https://www.amazon.com/Genius-Birds-Jennifer-Ackerman/dp/1594205213

Pfff, who needs books that are obvious Illuminati propaganda when you can buy a hat that filters all of the Illuminati mind control rays for you.

electro-deflecto-aluminum-tin-foil-hat.j

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I497JAM/ref=?tag=natdee-20

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kosha said:

Pfff, who needs books that are obvious Illuminati propaganda when you can buy a hat that filters all of the Illuminati mind control rays for you.

electro-deflecto-aluminum-tin-foil-hat.j

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I497JAM/ref=?tag=natdee-20

Wow, Amazon really does have everything! Also, that "real raccoon hat with tail" in the Customers Also Viewed section is horrifying ._.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

At some point I really want to start drawing extremely disturbing creatures. I have a few ideas that pull from various things I've seen in my time. It should be fun.

I had dreams as a kid about really messed up creatures created by a combination of radiation and viruses. It was even worse because I had hallucinations right after I woke up from nightmares in the middle of the night and sometimes before I went to bed. They've gone away since but I've used to it to create some ghost stories I'd tell to my troop I grew up in and am an assistant scoutmaster in. 

1 hour ago, U-235 said:

I had dreams as a kid about really messed up creatures created by a combination of radiation and viruses. It was even worse because I had hallucinations right after I woke up from nightmares in the middle of the night and sometimes before I went to bed. They've gone away since but I've used to it to create some ghost stories I'd tell to my troop I grew up in and am an assistant scoutmaster in. 

Typically when I have bad nightmares of creatures, their form is so inexplicable I can't even recall them when I wake up. :c
But the stuff I want to make is your typical ugly boss monster type stuff.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tsuujou said:

Typically when I have bad nightmares of creatures, their form is so inexplicable I can't even recall them when I wake up. :c

That'd be pretty cool actually. I'd want to do that with the kind of stuff from my dreams if I didn't suck ass at drawing so much.

3 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

At some point I really want to start drawing extremely disturbing creatures. I have a few ideas that pull from various things I've seen in my time. It should be fun.

Out of curiosity, will you be drawing SCPs?

1 hour ago, Tsuujou said:

Suggestion: I had the same problem until I started writing down odd dreams I had on my computer. What I do is that as soon as I wake up, I go over the events of the dream in my head and not think of anything else and write them down as soon as I get to something nearby to write it down on.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

Oh dear

I just got invited to two different New Year's parties

And the groups of people who invited me aren't too fond of each other so I don't know what to say or how to explain anything to anyone

Go with the one with more folks you like, or the one you think you'll have more fun with. Just apologize to the other party and say you'll hang out some other time.

If they hold a grudge just for going to that party, they're probably not worth the time trying to keep in with anyhow. Being judged by the company you keep in this case is rather petty, after all.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

Oh dear

I just got invited to two different New Year's parties

And the groups of people who invited me aren't too fond of each other so I don't know what to say or how to explain anything to anyone

Or go to neither and be an introvert :D

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Go with the one with more folks you like, or the one you think you'll have more fun with. Just apologize to the other party and say you'll hang out some other time.

If they hold a grudge just for going to that party, they're probably not worth the time trying to keep in with anyhow. Being judged by the company you keep in this case is rather petty, after all.

Well.. it should be fine. The first group's one might be cancelled anyway, so I told the second group I'll have to play it by ear.
All is good. Well, it would be if one did actually drop out
Else, I'll burn that bridge when I come to it

6 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Or go to neither and be an introvert :D

Ah, but look at me
I'm doing the popular
At least, I'm trying

-A haiku by DD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

The US is about to expel 35 Russian diplomats, because the CIA and FBI now both agree that the Russian administration was behind hacking in the run up to the 2016 US election.

“I think that computers have complicated lives very greatly. The whole age of the computer has made it where nobody knows exactly what’s going on,” Trump said. “We have speed, we have a lot of other things, but I’m not sure we have the kind of security we need.”
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/12/trump-nobody-knows-whats-going-on-because-of-computers.html?mid=full-rss-di

Spoken like a true Luddite baby boomer who thinks computers are some magical devices that use magic and sorcery to operate. It amuses me to see people who don't "get" computers.

It was funny listening to a trump supporting conservative am talk show guy (don't know who, he was filling in for Savage) who played that clip, saying "Well you got obama who dispels diplomats and enacts sanctions, and you have trump who says that, and says we should get on with our lives. Which one should we do? I think we should get on with our lives. I agree that computers are complex and how do we know it was the russians who hacked, anyway? It could have been anyone."

Listening to old white men get confused on how computers work amuses me greatly.

On 12/27/2016 at 8:03 PM, Saxon said:

Yes, it's a Natural Sciences degree.

Looks more like bio-mechanics.

14 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

Looks more like bio-mechanics.

I guess the difference is that I am not seeking to answer questions about the kinematics of wings. I am looking to answer questions about the qualitative relationship of different groups of birds to one another and what the evolutionary narrative they may imply is

Other people I know are doing straight-up bio-mechanics though- they sort of blend into one another.

54 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

A coworker brought skittles in today! :D I really need to remember to bring in a snack for the group sometime.

Another coworker took their share and sorted them so they could eat them one color-group at a time.

What do you expect from working in the computer career branch?

You're always gonna get the really smart but kinda quirky people.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

“I think that computers have complicated lives very greatly. The whole age of the computer has made it where nobody knows exactly what’s going on,” Trump said. “We have speed, we have a lot of other things, but I’m not sure we have the kind of security we need.”
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/12/trump-nobody-knows-whats-going-on-because-of-computers.html?mid=full-rss-di

Spoken like a true Luddite baby boomer who thinks computers are some magical devices that use magic and sorcery to operate. It amuses me to see people who don't "get" computers.

Take a look at a massive code base (like some virtual reality) and you'll probably realize just how complicated shit gets with computers. It's a lot to take in even for the people dedicated to them.

However, I kind of agree with him, but I think he should've specifically said the internet. It's hard to tell what the fuck is going on when it's relatively easy to hide who you are, or even the machine you're connecting from.

28 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

Amazing how discouraging going through another artist's body of work can be...

Makes you feel like they have all the answers and you have none of them.

Take a look at a massive code base (like some virtual reality) and you'll probably realize just how complicated shit gets with computers. It's a lot to take in even for the people dedicated to them.

However, I kind of agree with him, but I think he should've specifically said the internet. It's hard to tell what the fuck is going on when it's relatively easy to hide who you are, or even the machine you're connecting from.

Politicians don't need to understand all complicated fields; that's what their advisors and intelligence services are for.

Regrettably many politicians ignore their advisors and substitute complex reality with a simple and stupid narrative easy enough for them to wrap their head around.

• Like 1

Just now, Saxon said:

Makes you feel like they have all the answers and you have none of them.

Basically.
This one guy draws, does pixel art, animates, makes his own games, and I believe his own music. All professionally. Uploads tons in a day.
Then I just look at my stuff where I can't even draw properly and have no other skills. Sad too because you have to be a jack of all trades these days. :c 

• Like 1

Just now, Tsuujou said:

Basically.
This one guy draws, does pixel art, animates, makes his own games, and I believe his own music. All professionally. Uploads tons in a day.
Then I just look at my stuff where I can't even draw properly and have no other skills. Sad too because you have to be a jack of all trades these days. :c 

You can draw properly.

1 hour ago, Tsuujou said:

I mean, I'm ok. But I struggle too much.

Pretty much anyone who is good at a thing struggles with it. I'm great at cooking but I find it to be very stressful to do

Another thing is that everyone who is good at a thing starts out shit. I bet when you first started drawing you probably sucked ass at it. That's fine, not everyone can be prodigies. You just have to keep learning.

• Vae pinned this topic