Transgender People

Eggdodger

Same with sexualities, as long as its not all their personality is about they're cool people, like i have nothing against it but i wouldnt be ok if i was dating a girl who turned out used to have a dick.

Shitstorm in 3, 2, 1...

This is actually very reasonable. If that's not for you it's not for you. As long as you handle the break up like an adult I don't see what the problem is. 

Same with sexualities, as long as its not all their personality is about they're cool people, like i have nothing against it but i wouldnt be ok if i was dating a girl who turned out used to have a dick.

Shitstorm in 3, 2, 1...

Coming from a pansexual perspective, I have difficulty understanding how genitals can be a deal-breaker for relationship. Though again, pansexual perspective, so that concept's always been lost on me.

The idea of saying dating someone trans is somehow a deal-breaking for genital reasons is a grey area for me. I understand the reasoning, but it doesn't much make sense to me and there's a lot of other factors that play into it. From what I know, it's a grey area with a lot of transfolk and there's mixed opinions about it.

Coming from a pansexual perspective, I have difficulty understanding how genitals can be a deal-breaker for relationship. Though again, pansexual perspective, so that concept's always been lost on me.

The idea of saying dating someone trans is somehow a deal-breaking for genital reasons is a grey area for me. I understand the reasoning, but it doesn't much make sense to me and there's a lot of other factors that play into it. From what I know, it's a grey area with a lot of transfolk and there's mixed opinions about it.

Same here., but people have a certain attraction to genitals when it comes to sex I guess. Some people who'd prefer 'gina over dick and vice versa.

If I were dating a girl who told me that she is transgender, I wouldn't have a problem  with it but that's just me. 

Edited by Zeke

I would imagine a common reason would be someone wanting to have biological children, which is understandable.

Personally I don't care about whether or not someone would date trans people. I'm not in the position to dictate who someone can and cannot be attracted to. I mean it's like calling someone racist for not being sexually attracted to black people, like I'm not the tranny boner police here.

• Like 3

Shitstorm in 3, 2, 1...

I'm the same way. Makes me feel bad because I'm sure many would accuse me of being transphobic or something.

Understandable. I don't really know why it's a deal-breaker either, in fact it may not be if I truly love the person. Sucks being lied to though.

I would imagine a common reason would be someone wanting to have biological children, which is understandable.

Personally I don't care about whether or not someone would date trans people. I'm not in the position to dictate who someone can and cannot be attracted to. I mean it's like calling someone racist for not being sexually attracted to black people, like I'm not the tranny boner police here.

The biological children thing always seems to be one of the bigger grey areas I see. Though personally, I think adoption is always a good option.

I suppose the only way I can describe the "I don't like this person because they used to have X genitals" is that it just seems like a weird stance. It's kinda like saying "I don't like people with moles" and then finding out your partner had a mole removed when they were younger, so you dump them because "well, I don't think I could date someone who's had a mole", and despite the fact that you're totally into them, that factor, that's no longer a factor, is a deal-breaker.

I dunno, the whole concept has always been lost to me.

• Like 2

I never really understood this either, but then I realized I wasn't nearly as straight as I thought I was.
So the concept of surprise genitals never even seemed like a factor to me.

• Like 2

I never really understood this either, but then I realized I wasn't nearly as straight as I thought I was.
So the concept of surprise genitals never even seemed like a factor to me.

My favorite thing that happens in this fandom is the realization that almost everyone is less straight than they originally thought lol.

• Like 1

Well thats the thing, with a heterosexual perspective you're attracted to one original sex, not one sex that has been turned into another i guess.

Well thats the thing, with a heterosexual perspective you're attracted to one original sex, not one sex that has been turned into another i guess.

I think part of the problem with that is the idea of gender validation, which is a big issue in the community. Wording it like that makes it sound like transpeople aren't really that gender or are less so that gender, which is where I believe most transpeople have the problem with this. Like if you think about it, a heterosexual turning down someone that's trans simply for being trans is kinda saying "hey, I can't date you because, while I accept you're female, you're not really female enough for me to date". I think this is why it's such a big grey area.

I'm probably not the best person to try and figure out why someone wouldn't be into trans-people, I'm pretty flexible when it comes to dating.  I can kinda see if you're a hardcore hetero/homo type how you wouldn't want someone with genitals you aren't attracted too. But if someone is post-op and you can't even tell the difference then I'd have to wonder if it was some kind of social/cultural thing influencing your perspective. But well human attraction is funny and some people really are just hard wired to go for one biological sex.

I used to think I only swung one way and I will say I'm not the biggest fan of dicks but if I love a person enough I don't mind that they have one and I'll love their body no less for it. Ultimately it's going to be the person as a whole that I feel attracted to, whether they're male, female or non-binary.

Edited by Red Lion

I woulda probably rejected the idea of being with a trans person years ago (well...the years I even properly knew what transgender people were) because it didn't seem like they'd be an au naturele person physically, but like...I don't really care anymore; having to act on proper norms isn't natural and sucks anyways. I now kinda realize sex/gender is more fluid than that and can be attractive different ways. It really just depends what person.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

Do you ever get that feeling that ppl can be so SJW they overshoot themselves and end up looking like a dumbie from 1950? 

Thats how I feel when I read about pansexuals "not understanding" in this thread. Not everyone is the same orientation lol. Some ppl are like "does not compute" and it's kinda weird. :D Aren't most furries lgbt? Why wouldn't they know about orientations...has no one taught you? 

• Like 2

The more I think about the lines between genders, and between sexualities, the blurrier it all gets overall, and the more I start to think sex is kind of icky.

I might be an asexual =\ which is weird because I always thought my sex drive was abnormally high, but I really don't see my life being lessened if I never had sex again. In fact... That's kind of a relieving thought >.> Sex has a lot of complex feelings attached to it that are really stressful to deal with (or to treat casually as some people do), and I honestly get little out of it overall.

I'm more of a "snuggle" person, that much is for sure.

Edited by Eggdodger

Do you ever get that feeling that ppl can be so SJW they overshoot themselves and end up looking like a dumbie from 1950? 

Thats how I feel when I read about pansexuals "not understanding" in this thread. Not everyone is the same orientation lol. Some ppl are like "does not compute" and it's kinda weird. :D Aren't most furries lgbt? Why wouldn't they know about orientations...has no one taught you? 

It is honestly very amusing how little empathy and self-awareness most lgbt people have when it comes to sexual normativity.

They spend their whole lives lamenting that the world is mostly heterosexuals who don't understand them and mistreat them and then they join some kind of lgbt community and you get to see how little they learned from the experience as they make venomous comments about straight people, heterosexuality, and even queer people who happen to be in a heterosexual relationship.

Experience has shown me that dating anyone who is politically lgbt is a bad idea.

• Like 3

It is honestly very amusing how little empathy and self-awareness most lgbt people have when it comes to sexual normativity.
They spend their whole lives lamenting that the world is mostly heterosexuals who don't understand them and mistreat them and then they join some kind of lgbt community and you get to see how little they learned from the experience as they make venomous comments about straight people, heterosexuality, and even queer people who happen to be in a heterosexual relationship.

Experience has shown me that dating anyone who is politically lgbt is a bad idea.

Dating anyone political in general, you'll find they're typically very caustic to people who don't agree with their ideals. This goes for gay, straight, bi, pan, tree.

It's a gladiator arena, but your weapons are blatant hatred, passive-aggressiveness or victimization.

You win by being an audience member.

• Like 1

Transgirl here as well just started hrt last week. And I can say it sure as hell difficult to deal with the military at times. HOWEVER it does depend what job you are, I decided to be a dumbass and choose a job that was finally opening up to women...the fuckin infantry. Definitely have a difficulty making friends to talk to.

Edited by YuukiSkywolf

Really, I think that most of the world is lgbt. (Bisexual to be exact) but they get bogged down in a lot of gender role bs that makes them try to fit in a certain mold. 

A lot of the problems lgbt carry with them is the bullshit of heterosexism. Macho shit, religious shit, a fear of being themselves. 

The only lgbt person I met who really despised straight (and cis) ppl was Brace. And she's not well. 

Whats politically LGBT btw? 

• Like 2

Transgirl here as well just started hrt last week. And I can say it sure as hell difficult to deal with the military at times. HOWEVER it does depend what job you are, I decided to be a dumbass and choose a job that was finally opening up to women...the fuckin infantry. Definitely have a difficulty making friends to talk to.

why would you choose infantry >:

you poor soul

Really, I think that most of the world is lgbt. (Bisexual to be exact) but they get bogged down in a lot of gender role bs that makes them try to fit in a certain mold. 

A lot of the problems lgbt carry with them is the bullshit of heterosexism. Macho shit, religious shit, a fear of being themselves. 

The only lgbt person I met who really despised straight (and cis) ppl was Brace. And she's not well. 

Whats politically LGBT btw? 

You could probably classify most people as bisexual on a technicality but what purpose would that have if in practice they are only interested in sexually divergent situations in the realm of fantasy? I know plenty of guys who have had homosexual fantasies and aren't conflicted about it but have no interest in dating or having sex with men in the real world. And some recent experiments suggest that most nominally heterosexual women are bisexual to some degree, as erotic depictions of both men and women stimulated the same regions of the brain, which wasn't true for heterosexual men, homosexual men, or lesbian women.

A lot of the stuff you call heterosexism sans the religious guilt is stuff I see more prominently in lgbt circles than mainstream heterosexual culture. Gay men are seemingly obsessed with following cargo cult trends of masculinity and femininity and seem to often mistake "being themselves" for being a paper-doll cutout of some kind of fashion chic. There is division in the community among masculine men, feminine men, young men, old men, hairy men, fat men, the list goes on. Dating as a gay man if you aren't young and physically attractive is the primary cause for a lot of typically female neurosis among gay men like eating disorders, poor body image, and obsession with aesthetics and idealized beauty. Homosexual men in my experience are much more judgmental of other men over more superficial characteristics. My friendships with heterosexual men are not predicated on sexual attraction and don't always have the same underlying sexual tension. On the whole I find it easier to find common ground with heterosexual men and I don't have to constantly second guess whether or not my friendship is founded on platonic interests or if the other person is merely using the friendship as a pretext to have sex with me.

I won't speak for lesbians because I'm understandably not experienced with the lesbian community.

I dunno that Brace despised straight people as much as cis people, but since there's a lot of overlap between those two categories I guess it doesn't matter much. She was notoriously homophobic in my interactions with her; using 'faggot' with the same connotations as a baptist minister and frequently made declarations that if she was ever going to kill someone it would be a gay man.

I refer to politically lgbt people as people who immerse themselves in lgbt activism either online or offline. They tend to have a hair trigger (lol) for being offended at off-color remarks and as a rule seem incapable of interfacing with the world beyond identity politics. I have neither the patience nor the desire to entertain these obsessions so I will avoid these people if at all possible.

• Like 7

that was kinda the problem i had as bisexual being until i knew that its okay to like both genders in that certain way. i just felt ...forced to be hetero you could say because, in the eyes off the other people i thought it was wrong in some way through that said bogging down into my gender role. and this made me fear it could get embarrasing if i would tell somebody and stuff like that.

good thing that my family is overall very accepting. made it easier when i finally brought up the courage telling them i am bi... and a fur... i think i even told them bout both in the same talk but i dont know for sure anymore because i was so excited...

• Like 1

There's a difference between not understanding and not respecting something. They are not codependent mental processes.

I don't get why my friends need religion. I don't get how they feel a higher power is or should be dictating what they do with their lives.
But that does not mean I can't respect it, and leave them to whatever makes them happy.

"I don't get it." =/= "I disagree."

Edited by Vae

that was kinda the problem i had as bisexual being until i knew that its okay to like both genders in that certain way. i just felt ...forced to be hetero you could say because, in the eyes off the other people i thought it was wrong in some way through that said bogging down into my gender role. and this made me fear it could get embarrasing if i would tell somebody and stuff like that.

good thing that my family is overall very accepting. made it easier when i finally brought up the courage telling them i am bi... and a fur... i think i even told them bout both in the same talk but i dont know for sure anymore because i was so excited...

it's nice to hear stories like this. My fiance's family is very accepting of the lgbt thing too. It makes life less stressful. 

@zara: oh do you get along with hetero dudes more? I'm the exact opposite lol. I tend to gravitate towards lbgt or women because hetero dudes in my area are very macho obsessed and homophobic xD. (And I ain't the John Wayne type if you catch my drift) I think men in general are just visual and tend to be more sexual than women. And gay men's problems really do surface from the fate of masculinity. Society often tries to make them women and not just in the physical way Iran does. ;3 

I've heard it's especially true in black culture. (Whose men typically feel de-masculinised historically.) and that's why homophobia is such a problem in it. It always comes down to a deep seated fear of the feminine. 

Its fascinating in a weird way. Why is being feminine such a evil thing? The world may never know. 

Edited by Butters

There's a difference between not understanding and not respecting something. They are not codependent mental processes.
I don't get why my friends need religion. I don't get how they feel a higher power is or should be dictating what they do with their lives.
But that does not mean I can't respect it, and leave them to whatever makes them happy.

"I don't get it." =/= "I disagree."

Of course, there are some people who say "I can't understand how..." in a tone of voice that indicates that they really mean, "Anyone who feels or thinks this way is defective, weird, evil, and/or immoral."

But, otherwise, you're right that you can totally not understand or relate to how someone thinks or feels, and still be able to respect their right to feel or think that way.

• Like 1

Full disclosure: Most of my IRL friends are straight cis white males, which according to some groups would make them "unaccepting" of me. I'm definitely the "odd one out", you could say, in our group. Doesn't change our interactions a bit. I feel like people, believe it or not, should be regarded on a case-by-case basis.

Edited by Eggdodger
  • Like 1

Full disclosure: Most of my IRL friends are straight cis white males, which according to some groups would make them "unaccepting" of me. I'm definitely the "odd one out", you could say, in our group. Doesn't change our interactions a bit. I feel like people, believe it or not, should be regarded on a case-by-case basis.

I would give you a like but I'm out of them :(

I think I was a little misunderstood, I wasn't "overshooting being SJW". My confusion mostly stemmed from the idea of gender validation and the point being made was that a post-op transwoman would somehow be less desirable because of what genitals she previously had as opposed to what she currently has now. It's treating them differently based on the fact that they're trans. I mean you could approach it from a "what if I want to have kids" point-of-view, but does that mean they would dump a cis woman if they found out they were infertile?

I wouldn't imply I don't understand someone's sexuality and speak negatively of it. My confusion was from a gender-based point.

How do you guys feel about gender trender TRANSTRENDERS 

I'm not sure what this means. I've heard this term a couple times, but I have no idea what it actually means.

How do you guys feel about gender trender TRANSTRENDERS 

Yes, let's isolate kids for being curious about their gender, without having enough holes punched out on their transcard already.
I'm sorry, you can't get a sub with that. Get out of my store.

• Like 1

Yes, let's isolate kids for being curious about their gender, without having enough holes punched out on their transcard already.I'm sorry, you can't get a sub with that. Get out of my store.

I think "being curious about your gender" and thinking potato is gender are too different things. Such things should not be treated as fashion accessories by children

I think "being curious about your gender" and thinking potato is gender are too different things. Such things should not be treated as fashion accessories by children

I can agree with that. I do think people need to stop treating genders like kintypes and user titles, because it's dumb.

I've seen the term thrown more at "YOU'RE NOT OPPRESSED ENOUGH TO BE IN THE BLT CLUB. YOU DIDN'T FEEL LIKE THAT GENDER WHEN YOU PLOPPED OUT THE VAGINA. YOU'RE FAKING." though.
Which is what I was referring to.

Edited by Vae
  • Like 1

Feelinglike I could be dubbed a "transtrender" is why I'd been reluctant for about 6 months to a year before that to consider myself trans because I didnt want to invalidate trans people or pretend to be something I may not be to follow some dumb online fad...but putting some thought into it made me feel the idea felt right for me, besides the fact that I'd be one of many prevalent in online communities that allow expression a certain way...

I really think "transtrender" would only count if you even think otherkkinism is a real gender identity. I feel like some kids start taking he/she/it pronouns that mean nothing in their expression and sounds more like a fancy label but..not my place or my problem to say what they can/cant do.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

I can agree with that. I do think people need to stop treating genders like kintypes and user titles, because it's dumb.
I've seen the term thrown more at "YOU'RE NOT OPPRESSED ENOUGH TO BE IN THE BLT CLUB. YOU DIDN'T FEEL LIKE THAT GENDER WHEN YOU PLOPPED OUT THE VAGINA. YOU'RE FAKING." though.
Which is what I was referring to.

Yeah, I agree. I think people get a lot of flak for trying to figure out their gender and people need to promote figuring out gender identity as something that's healthy to explore and not just a list of rigid qualifications. Like I've seen people who are unsure tell people, and they suddenly go all out and tell them off like "oh you don't really want to be X gender, you just want to be that gender for Y reason, you can't do that unless you meet these qualifications = _______" and I think it's just ridiculous. Like christ, trying to figure out myself and how I felt about my gender has been a mess of a few years, and having someone tell you that "you can't actually be that, you're just being ridiculous" really messes with you when you thought you had started figuring yourself out. I had come out to my online friends at one point, and I had that happen, and it was bad enough to send me right back into the closet about it.

Edited by Kaizy
  • Like 1

Yeah, I agree. I think people get a lot of flak for trying to figure out their gender and people need to promote figuring out gender identity as something that's healthy to explore and not just a list of rigid qualifications. Like I've seen people who are unsure tell people, and they suddenly go all out and tell them off like "oh you don't really want to be X gender, you just want to be that gender for Y reason, you can't do that unless you meet these qualifications = _______" and I think it's just ridiculous. Like christ, trying to figure out myself and how I felt about my gender has been a mess of a few years, and having someone tell you that "you can't actually be that, you're just being ridiculous" really messes with you when you thought you had started figuring yourself out. I had come out to my online friends at one point, and I had that happen, and it was bad enough to send me right back into the closet about it.

I've seen this a lot with ftm people. They'll often get shit for being "gender traitors". It is both confusing and disgusting. 

I've seen this a lot with ftm people. They'll often get shit for being "gender traitors". It is both confusing and disgusting. 

Yeah it's pretty bad. People should just let people figure themselves out and be comfortable about their gender. But obviously that's like "perfect world" scenario and probably not possible in a lot of places. :T

Basically, I still dont know what the "qualifications" are...I just know that this is and was what always felt right, and Id want to push in a certain direction and change things to fit more because its comfortable, discover what is important to me instead of being shot down.

Like an example of "Y" would be escaping gender roles, Ive considered thatas a reason even before I heard "You cant be X, just because Y"...thing is though I still feel a strong pull despite the fact that I dont 'need' to be trans to justify my actions, maybe its more that my actions are the way they are because I feel X, and Y is the result...

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

To some, I'd even qualify under this term for not being dead-set on being one thing or the other, even though I've been in question about my gender since I was 17. I remember when quite a few people on a forum thought I was male because of a photo I took back then, and it just felt comfortable to me.
But I didn't try to express it IRL because I was worried about how my parents or anyone else would react. I'd already been dealing with enough shit people had been slinging at me, and I didn't want to add that to the list.

Worse yet, when the accusation comes from the fact that you spend a lot of time around trans people, therefore want to be trans just to "fit in."
Sometimes, being around other people who have these experiences is the only thing that actually normalizes this experience to you, and makes you feel safe enough to indulge it to see where that path leads.

Maybe it's something you'll stick with. Maybe it's not. But hey, there's nothing wrong with either of those things. You're not a faker for wanting to switch, and you're not a trans traitor for realizing that maybe
that identity wasn't what you wanted in the end.
Personalities are fluid. We're constantly adapting and changing as we grow as people.
And people really need to stop treating self-exploration as some kind of clique bullshit.

• Like 2

Yeah, yeah. Some of you are trans and that's cool and all. But you can't step to this beastly ass bus, fam.

tumblr_nxxpxv3ygr1ujdahho1_540.jpg

That motherfucker is SUPERtrans. Know what else was SUPER? Nintendo, Contra, Pochaco, Saiyans, and Man.

I'll never be at supertrans level. :[

Yeah, yeah. Some of you are trans and that's cool and all. But you can't step to this beastly ass bus, fam.

tumblr_nxxpxv3ygr1ujdahho1_540.jpg

That motherfucker is SUPERtrans. Know what else was SUPER? Nintendo, Contra, Pochaco, Saiyans, and Man.

more like supertranstrender

bus isn't a gender

• Like 3

I'd add "politically racial" and "politically sexed" to that list, too.

It's fine and I'd say, even laudatory to care about social justice issues and political advocacy, involvement, and activism.

But, there's a point at which people let their politics subsume their identity as a whole, and can't think or talk about themselves, others, or the world without gettin' all sociopolitical about it.

If you cant talk about yourself or others WITHOUT using words like "hegemony," "privilege," "oppression," "micro-aggression," or "intersectionality," you may need to step back and take a break from your Sociology 101 reading. Ditto if you can no longer talk about someone else just being a dick or an idiot in the general human sense, but instead can only conceptualize social gaffes or conflicts in terms of privilege, oppression, or bigotry.

(MRAs/Meninists and "But why don't we have White Studies and White History Month?" people are basically caught singing the same song, only with different lyrics.)

For some, this is a phase or a growing pain, and for others, it can become more of a permanent style.

Edited by Troj
  • Like 3

I've always liked the following straightforward test. If talking to someone with whom you largely agree with about X leads you to start sympathizing with Pat Robertson, then that person is ``politically X'' or whatever term you want to use.

Unfortunately there's no standard terminology that isn't already associated with other things in one way or another. Social Justice Warrior and its relatives tend be frowned upon by a lot of left-leaning people, so those aren't audience independent.