Put a limit on signature image's height?

Mayonnaise

At the very least can we 'ignore' certain people's signatures like permanently? I'm not gonna name names or anything but some I've seen are unbelievably obnoxious.

You can already do this. There should be an 'x' to the right of a signature. Click it and it'll give you the option to block a user's signature or all of them if you want.

I agree with OP. Some sigs are getting kind of ridiculous in size and signatures that are too big put emphasis on themselves rather than on post content, distracting readers. Ignoring signatures of certain people is possible, but some people might like seeing someone's signature whenever they change it and just may dislike certain ones, especially really big ones.

I think it would be cool if signatures that are too big were automatically resized. I mean, I thought my signature was pushing it in size as it is, so...

Sigs don't bother me either way. I can't see em lol I'm on my phone so it don't show the sigs at all - yay me :3 

Your signature tho

Edited by Battlechili

if only I could see it on my phone! It's not fair. Everyone else gets to see the glory that it's Gem-Wolf. Hmmmm, sadly I don't think it's big enough. 

It was obnoxiously large.
I just adblocked it until we get a better option.

Am I the only one that globally hides signatures, not only here but also everywhere else? Maybe if signature just meant a single line of text they wouldn't be so bad, but most of the time they are visually distracting occupiers of vertical space. I think signatures would be far nicer if they were a click-to-expand type item that lurked next to the "Go to top" button until you actually wanted to see them.

It was obnoxiously large.I just adblocked it until we get a better option.

hahah fair enough, tho you just ruined my surprise. I was just gonna say only this "for my dear" but you beat me to it. I have made a new sig just for you and others who hate the large ones :-) its now small and decent. 

I agree with OP. Some sigs are getting kind of ridiculous in size and signatures that are too big put emphasis on themselves rather than on post content, distracting readers. Ignoring signatures of certain people is possible, but some people might like seeing someone's signature whenever they change it and just may dislike certain ones, especially really big ones.

I think it would be cool if signatures that are too big were automatically resized. I mean, I thought my signature was pushing it in size as it is, so...

Your signature tho

ftfy 

Am I the only one that globally hides signatures, not only here but also everywhere else? Maybe if signature just meant a single line of text they wouldn't be so bad, but most of the time they are visually distracting occupiers of vertical space. I think signatures would be far nicer if they were a click-to-expand type item that lurked next to the "Go to top" button until you actually wanted to see them.

I feel like signatures are useful to see where users are on other sites (if they use them for that function), and to add flavor to someone's personality.
Just not...
when they take emphasis over the actual post content.

hahah fair enough, tho you just ruined my surprise. I was just gonna say only this "for my dear" but you beat me to it. I have made a new sig just for you and others who hate the large ones :-) its now small and decent. 

Good. Thank you.

This would be really useful, too.
Just like an automatic scrollbar that pops up after sigs get past a certain dimension limit. (300 - 400px seems like a pretty good allowance for that.)

I feel like signatures are useful to see where users are on other sites (if they use them for that function), and to add flavor to someone's personality.Just not...
when they take emphasis over the actual post content.

But you could get the same functionality with something like an on-demand expandable section on the user identification box. Signatures get appended to every single post which just seems overly redundant. 

The primary occupier of vertical space on this site is white space. There is such a lack of information density.

White space is usually added for readability and layout reasons, though. It's in addition to whatever space gets occupied by the user info section, signature, and post options.

IMO - this whole complaining about sig sizes is just another way to create a "I feel like having a bitch about something" thread. I mean seriously when you think about it, its not ending your life. You can still see everyone's replies and still use the forum as normal. Also, as someone has pointed out in the thread already, you have the option to hide sigs, so really this whole thread is just - well, pointless. 

Not to say I am right. No, its just my opinion thats all. 

IMO - this whole complaining about sig sizes is just another way to create a "I feel like having a bitch about something" thread. I mean seriously when you think about it, its not ending your life. You can still see everyone's replies and still use the forum as normal. Also, as someone has pointed out in the thread already, you have the option to hide sigs, so really this whole thread is just - well, pointless. 

But this isn't just bitching. People with slow or bad internet connections may have a hard time loading pictures, so huge signatures definitely are more than just annoying.

• Like 2

But this isn't just bitching. People with slow or bad internet connections may have a hard time loading pictures, so huge signatures definitely are more than just annoying.

meh - if that's all you have to worry about in life then you are lucky. Personally it's not even worth worrying about. Anywho - regarding this convo, I'm out. Cya furrs

But you could get the same functionality with something like an on-demand expandable section on the user identification box. Signatures get appended to every single post which just seems overly redundant. 

White space is usually added for readability and layout reasons, though. It's in addition to whatever space gets occupied by the user info section, signature, and post options.

I'm not arguing against the use of usermade sections for the side box. I actually want that.

But until we get that, putting them in sigs is a nice alternative.
Also, sometimes you just want to specify what is what (as opposed to just [sitename]). Especially in instances where you want to link multiple accounts on the same site.

There are a lot of things that "do not end your life." That's a dumb, overdramatic basis for measure of complaint.
In that case, people complaining about sig sizes also is not "ending your life," so why complain about that in turn? Seems kind of pointless, following that logic, doesn't it?

Signatures take up space every single time someone posts something. That's a lot of fucking needless scrolling to do, just because a person doesn't possess enough courtesy for those around them to keep things at a reasonable size.
And that's aside from loading time, which was already brought up.

It also gets confusing as to what is post content, and what is sig content at points.

Either way, it's not hard to look at something,
use a little bit of reason,
and go "You know, hey, maybe this image that pops up every time I post shouldn't be 800px tall. Huh."

Also, as it's been brought up, and as I've already experienced, ignoring individual users' sigs does nothing.
And it's kind of silly to block all signatures (at least to me) just because of a few assholes, and their lapse of judgement.

Edited by Vae
  • Like 3

@Vae
@PastryOfApathy

And for anyone else who can't get the blocking of individual sigs to stay "saved"- @ChaosCalix taught me how (so go thank him for this, lol).

Go to the "ignored users" page: https://phoenix.corvidae.org/ignore/
Put in the name of the user whose sig you want to block, and just tick the check box for "signature." Then "Update Preferences."

Worked for me, when the option to ignore on the signature itself didn't.

I can't remember who said this, but apparently clicking the "ignore user" on their icon itself takes you to the same page, with their name already put in. I haven't tried it that way, but that should work too.

Edited by Umbra.Exe
Pastry's mention didn't work right
  • Like 4

Honestly, it feels like you're only posting this because you yourself got told off for doing it. Detecting levels of sodium chloride unsafe for consumption over here... Really, this post has been debunked by multiple people since then =/

And let's not forget those accessing the site on metered plans - e.g. satellite users. That's a lot of bandwidth they could be saving.

Not to defend those people, but if you're on a plan like that, wouldn't be be more logical to simply block all images from loading without permission? That's what I used to do before I moved, whenever we went over our monthly limit and our speed were throttled down to dial-up speeds, and it made things MUCH more tolerable due to the decreased bandwidth consumption.

@Vae
@PastryOfApathy

And for anyone else who can't get the blocking of individual sigs to stay "saved"- @ChaosCalix taught me how (so go thank him for this, lol).

Go to the "ignored users" page: https://phoenix.corvidae.org/ignore/
Put in the name of the user whose sig you want to block, and just tick the check box for "signature." Then "Update Preferences."

Worked for me, when the option to ignore on the signature itself didn't.

I can't remember who said this, but apparently clicking the "ignore user" on their icon itself takes you to the same page, with their name already put in. I haven't tried it that way, but that should work too.

That would also have been me xP

Honestly, with a functioning ignore option, I still think limiting the vertical size of signatures would be good. Ignoring someone's signature does not give you the option to see it when it is changed. As is, if a signature is too annoying, we're forced to hit the ignore button... So should anything interesting or important be added, we won't see it until we manually remove them from our ignore list again. That's a very poor system all around, all things considered.

• Like 1

Nope. The sigs I want to block are already on the ignored list.

Still doesn't work.
They're still showing.
Cleared my cache and everything.
They're still there.

Did you make sure to confirm them?
If you did, they should show up like this:
Untitled.thumb.png.817b751039252d39e5c59

I ask this because I may have forgotten to once

Did you make sure to confirm them?If you did, they should show up like this:

Yep.

sadddwe.thumb.PNG.38b4deae8f22095e90d54f

I even clicked to edit settings, unchecked the box, rechecked the box, and hit "update preferences."
Still nothing.

I'm running Firefox, and I'm pretty sure nothing in my custom forum style is conflicting with it, because I'm not enabling / hiding anything in that code.

*pawpalm* still going??? 

Here's a tip: Stop following this thread. Clearly reading it is agitating you - whether or not you're willing to admit that.

Stupid posts like this just derail it, and frankly? I don't want this forum to devolve into nothing but derailing and shitposting again.

"Pawpalm"So you just clapped? lol

lol ooooops. Time for a coffee me thinks. 

Here's a tip: Stop following this thread. Clearly reading it is agitating you - whether or not you're willing to admit that.

Stupid posts like this just derail it, and frankly? I don't want this forum to devolve into nothing but derailing and shitposting again.

wow clam down dude I'm not harming anyone. Ummm and FYI you should look around because shit posting has already hit this forum way before I joined. 

"Pawpalm" is probably the best thing I've read all day.

haha I'm good for that ;)