M-Preg may soon be a reality

DevilishlyHandsome49

http://www.health24.com/Lifestyle/Man/Your-body/male-pregnancy-is-closer-than-you-might-think-20151201

This could make for a very interesting future. I don't really see a problem with it. I think its pretty cool actually. A podcast I listen to brought up good points of it being beneficial not only to transgender females but also to gay couples who'd like a child of their own without having to do adoption or having a surrogate mother. What do you think about it?

(I may be wrong to feel this way, but I keep getting the sense this could possibly spawn some kind off fem/anti-fem argument or something just as bad...I'm really hoping that isn't the case)

• Like 2

Actually, no, this is a horrible idea. There are plenty of children in this world that need families and care who deserve to get adopted. Male pregnancy would just add to overpopulation.

Please stop perpetuating this myth that overpopulation exists, it's ignorant rhetoric.

I've heard about this already and I think it's pretty cool, an amazing feat of science that proves what our bodies are capable of. Some transwomen are stoked about it, I say no fucking thanks. I only like children one day out of the year and I've gone through enough already.

• Like 1

I wish more people who are unable to have children for whatever reason would give adoption a chance instead of leaving it as the very last alternative, that if they even view it as one.

If this becomes a thing, the thought of a gay couple going to such lenghts to have a kid when a much simpler alternative had always been available is just...

• Like 3

Please stop perpetuating this myth that overpopulation exists, it's ignorant rhetoric.

I've heard about this already and I think it's pretty cool, an amazing feat of science that proves what our bodies are capable of. Some transwomen are stoked about it, I say no fucking thanks. I only like children one day out of the year and I've gone through enough already.

Regardless of overpopulation not being a thing, there are a lot of children that need to be adopted. However, if male pregnancy is a thing it would have to be a procedure, so there won't be accidental pregnancies left and right.

• Like 3

I wish more people who are unable to have children for whatever reason would give adoption a chance instead of leaving it as the very last alternative, that if they even view it as one.

If this becomes a thing, the thought of a gay couple going to such lenghts to have a kid when a much simpler alternative had always been available is just...

See, i disagree with that. If this does turn into a thing, its not like every gay couple or transgender female is gonna rush into this and there will be a plummet in adoptions. We still don't know the price of this procedure or the medical requirements needed to make sure its a success. Some people may not want that at all and just go for adoptions.

Thing is, you hear stories about people who are gay but always wanted to have a child of their own blood and the only way to do that is to be with a woman or have a surrogate mother. 

If this male pregnancy idea actually becomes a reality...I don't know, this could kinda fix that dilemma ^^ and make it so that they can have a child with their partner  and at the end of the day if the couple is okay with doing whatever it takes, then hey, thats what they want to do

Edited by DevilishlyHandsome49
  • Like 3

My concern isn't overpopulation, it's just... why bring more lives into this world when there's already lives that are unwanted that need a good home and the love and guidance of a proper parent? Putting lives that don't exist yet in front of lives that do just because they don't share the same blood... I don't like that at all. I really wish more people would consider adoption if it's something they can afford to do. I get some couples not having the money to adopt because it can be expensive while sex is free, but if you can afford a surgery like this then surely you can afford to adopt.

• Like 3

I don't know how anyone could react to this negatively. Like this is a big thing that the trans community, specifically the MtF community, has wanted for ages. I've heard about this being talked about for a while. I know a lot of transwomen that have talked about how much they wish they could have a child of their own, but for obvious reasons can't. So I'm pretty pleased with this.

• Like 4

I don't agree with the notion that you NEED to have a child of your own blood in the first place in order to be content or "complete" as a family, it seems to me that they feel an adopted kid would be less their own kid just because they don't share blood.

Edited by Luka
  • Like 1

So, as soon as homosexual couples or trans couples have an option besides adoption there's going to be a bunch of rhetoric about how terrible it is to want children of your own genetics in the hopes of guilt tripping them into adoption? For real?

1337075176785.jpg

Ehhhhh, I don't think they're trying to guilt trip. Still, if its someone's preference to have a child of their own genetics, there should be no shame in it

• Like 1

Ehhhhh, I don't think they're trying to guilt trip. Still, if its someone's preference to have a child of their own genetics, there should be no shame in it

You clearly haven't lived among people who use the legendary Guilt Trip as their primary means of attack. You're right there should be no shame in it, so attempting to talk people down and back into a singular option isn't covert in the slightest.

• Like 2

So, as soon as homosexual couples or trans couples have an option besides adoption there's going to be a bunch of rhetoric about how terrible it is to want children of your own genetics in the hopes of guilt tripping them into adoption?

I dunno about the rest, but I tell people regardless of their sexual preferences that I wish they'd adopt someone already living instead of bring another life into the world. If people feel guilty, well, that's fine and I don't care. Maybe if they knew what it was like to be part of the foster system and grow up not being wanted they'd be able to open their hearts a bit more and put aside their selfish desires for something they made themselves. No one really thinks about it like that, though.

Gonna sound like a dick here. Why should I be forced to go for adoption? Why should I not be allowed to continue my own bloodline? I'm sorry about the state of children in adoption (and personally if I ever did want children I would heavily consider adopting a child that is nearly a teenager or is one because those guys are never looked at). People have the right to have their own children if they can care for them and show them love. You can't say to someone if the medical procedure is there for them to have their own children "No fuck you, adopt or else"

• Like 4

Maybe it's just me but that really sounds sexist. 

New studies find that individuals who think women should be allowed to get pregnant are SEXISTS!!!

please, please, tell me you're not serious :V how am I sexist in saying I as a man never in my life want to be pregnant.... ._.  

• Like 1

i aint forcing no fetus through my dick

Did you know that hyenas give birth through their clitoris? That's pretty much the same thing! The birth canal is only about one inch wide, and hyenas also happen to have the biggest youngs relative to the mother's weight among all other predators! Nature really gave them the shaft when it comes to giving birth (all of the puns intended).

People have the right to have their own children if they can care for them and show them love.

People have the right to do a lot of things, but it doesn't make it any less unfair to other people for them to do those things. Such is life, though, and this is one of those cases that sucks a lot because it would be nice if no one had to be unwanted, but even if people ONLY adopted and NEVER made kids, there would still be unwanted kids out there. I'd just like to see it be a lot less. It's never going to happen though because people feel the need to reproduce themselves and it's not wrong to feel that need and want it, but again, that still doesn't make it fair to those who currently are alive and need a good home.

• Like 1

I think this is a fascinating and super-cool advancement that could potentially solve some problems for both certain cis men and various trans women. (As well as potentially create some new problems and dilemmas, too, but that's true of any scientific advancement or new tech.)

Some of the responses (many of them by furries, actually) to this news on social media were absolutely appalling and idiotic.

I'm likewise concerned about overpopulation and unwanted children, but male pregnancy would be a drop in the bucket compared to the current pressing factors that contribute to those two problems.

Edited by Troj

How so? I for one can see that this would be awesome for transwomen, for example.

I think we are standing on a thin moral fibre that's about to break.

As cliché as it is, I don't think we should play God. Not in a god fearing way, but because who knows what these surgeries can lead to fifty years from now.

Then there's the case of actual childbirth. Sure, stick an uterus inside, but you still need to alter bones, create a functioning vagina, sculpt muscles and... There's a whole lot more to it than just the uterus. But I'll quote Chung again.

“Probably at some point, somebody will figure out how to make that work.”

But lets humour ourselves with the idea that it would work. What of the child? What are the risks of them being born damaged? Imagine all the bullying, imagine how people would call them freaks of nature. Imagine how they would feel knowing that they are essentially products of science and not nature. Imagine the suicide rates.

I personally don't believe we should stick other parts in ourselves that weren't there in the first place, but if we start doing that, give me an extra arm. I always feel like there's too few of them.

• Like 4

So how will this give an option for transwomen to have their bloodline continued?

Transwomen, before they start transition, are given the option of spermbanking first. This is because for most the process makes them impotent or with an extremely low sperm count if they're "lucky", and obviously Sexual Reassignment Surgery takes that down to impossible as well.

@the rhetoric of "It's unfair and selfish of you to not do what I think is right" oh man that's the world's blackest Kettle, really gets my Goth senses tingling. Or maybe that's the odd feeling you get in your nerves when your eyes roll out.

Every day we drift further from Gods light...

I'm sorry my set of deities take priority over yours.

• Like 1

Well, I've been quite the skeptic on this before but I'm starting to think it could actually happen within are lifetime.

As amazing and exciting as a venture it is (it's definitely a good thing for people out there), I would also have to share coffee's concerns. There's risk not just for the child but I've also thought there could be complication with the bearer as well. It's definitely something of a huge measure that would have to go into being animal testing first, and as far as I know the details of how to perform that are largely not worked out.

Besides whether it becomes a success, I think there's also a lot of bad that could happen if it DID work out...you know how much scientific and media attention would be surrounding the lives of these people, they wouldn't be living a normal life but bumped into some type of celebrity status based solely on the fact of being unique and different from the norm. I imagine the parents and child would have to be viewed as anomalies, especially the child who would not be able to comprehend that there would be anything abnormal about being born from their father (or mother even) except for all the attention it's being given. I'm also sure as anything people would be shitty enough to send death threats...

I'm pretty skeptic as well, scientists sometimes are too blinded by the idea of success to pay attention to complication, this one which was a gender study in which there was a botched circumcision from birth and made this boy into a female, only to ignore the signs of discontent the "girl" was showing, and ultimately to have her change back to a him. (Opponents cite this often as to be against transgender...which is silly because it simply shows the situation in reverse, someone who feels male and is forced in their environment to be female...hmmmm...sounds familiar to what transgender people experience).

It's definitely something to be cautious and wary of before we jump the gun on it being an actual scientific advancement as of yet...but it's interesting to see yet again our fiction is becoming reality

Actually, no, this is a horrible idea. There are plenty of children in this world that need families and care who deserve to get adopted. Male pregnancy would just add to overpopulation.

while I agree it'll make adoption rates drop again, it's not like that hasn't been a thing before homosexuality had become more widespread. While it was largely considered that male and female pairings were the norm, the only adopters would be infertile people, people with health complication, or people who wanted to adopt outside of biological means, which are fewer.

I think better contraception methods, and the fact that these new births will likely be WANTED and not accidental, may decrease future populations of children in adoption

Edited by WolfNightV4X1
  • Like 1

Oh, should clarify on what I meant by some transwomen continuing their bloodline through this: I meant it in the sense of those that have a male partner. I don't think transmen would need something this extreme to do that but I dunno as much about transmen.

I guess for transwomen it could be the eggs from their female partner and their banked sperm. You know, kind of like a Seahorse I suppose.

Edited by Clove Darkwave

You clearly haven't lived among people who use the legendary Guilt Trip as their primary means of attack. You're right there should be no shame in it, so attempting to talk people down and back into a singular option isn't covert in the slightest.

If you feel guilt over an opinion on a forum, that's your problem. I'd never directly tell or insist upon a person wanting a child that they MUST do something or other, because I have a little something called tact.

How's proclaiming I *wish* things would be different forcing anyone into anything? 

Do I agree or appreciate what they do? Not at all, but I realize it's a sensitive issue, and will let them make their decision regardless.

Edited by Luka

If you feel guilt over an opinion on a forum, that's your problem. I'd never directly tell or insist upon a person wanting a child that they MUST do something or other, because I have a little something called tact.

How's proclaiming I *wish* things would be different forcing anyone into anything?

I don't feel anything, I've already stated I hate children for the most part. The funny thing is if I lost my fucking mind and wanted one I probably would adopt, pregnancy is horrible. Doesn't mean I won't argue heavily for those that do want it to be able to do so without people bemoaning something the majority of the human population takes for granted.

You ought to learn to understand how much that can affect some people when it comes to self-consciousness.

Edited by Clove Darkwave

I don't feel anything, I've already stated I hate children for the most part. The funny thing is if I lost my fucking mind and wanted one I probably would adopt, pregnancy is horrible. Doesn't mean I won't argue heavily for those that do want it to be able to do so without people bemoaning something the majority of the human population takes for granted.

You ought to learn to understand how much that can affect some people when it comes to self-consciousness.

I felt it'd be appropriate to at least voice my view on this here. My last intent was to guilt trip or make anyone feel shitty over it, I realize it's a sensitive issue.

It's just one of those things I find a bit sad, that I know will never change.