RICH PEOPLE

Brass

Why do wealthy people, or people that think they're wealthy, feel the need to insert their dick into everything? Why are they so out of touch with reality? The world needs more cabbages and finer tuned social services and less fucks like them.  Fuck rich people.

Edited by Brass

Reminds me of the Kickstarter set up by a London couple who were earning around £150,000 a year, they were concerned they would have to sell their second home (God forbid) to get their two children through private school.

Dont rich people work really hard and use money wisely to become rich, though? No use scoffing at those types of hard working rich people out of spite for one's lack of income. Sounds like jealousy.

Assuming we're not talking about pompous snobby rich people off of inherited wealth who did jack all for their income and hoards it

Edit: Oh wait this is a subtly veiled attack against a specific individual, isnt it?

Edited by WolfNightV4X1
  • Like 1

Well, if anyone wants a serious post here, I'll at least give it a try.

Suppose you have a lot of money. You would be very tempted to adopt the philosophy that wealth is solely the result of one's own skill, intelligence, and hard work. Your wealth is earned and you are entitled to every last bit of it.

Given this outlook, you now see people are, by and large, much less wealthy than you are. They therefore must lack the same degree of skill, intelligence, and determination that you do. The poor are inferior and it is your job to either belittle them or enlighten them, depending on your disposition.

That's just always been my hunch as to how certain attitudes develop.

• Like 6

The folks who get rich by busting their ass are alright. A lot of mid-level CEOs are doing ridiculous 60 hour weeks and shit like that. Trust fund babies and family wealth types always bother me, though. They don't do anything with the money they have access to. 

However, I don't think I have the attitude it takes to be rich and constantly striving for more money/success. My parents combined make ~35/yr, so my goal right now is to try to do ~60 by myself. That's about a senior art director wage in the midwest. I figure after that, I'd like to enjoy my life still with 40/hr weeks and the like. Being rich in and of itself seems like a job. 

I'm from a family that is arguably upper middle class, and pursuing a music degree as someone who has an economic comfort zone is a luxury that I do feel exists, and while people like to say I work hard, I don't feel that effectively undermines the fact that I have no current concerns about the floor being pulled from under me. I've got friends who don't have as much money to spend from day to day, and while I only ever purchase food nowadays, I know there are also a lot of things that would not have been a possibility were my limitations from a financial standpoint greater. 

idunno. that's why i want to work harder. i know i got a chance people don't always get and i feel every time i take advantage of certain things i'd be wasting it. there are habits i need to kick, and i'm trying not to make myself miserable but i know i need to improve myself and not let finance determine myself as worthy of anything, until i know that i'm doing what i feel is respectable.

• Like 5

You guys are just jealous that i'm currently typing on a top of the line computer that I was able to afford using my invested money in doge coin. 

Can't hear you crybabies over the ocean waves of the Mojave desert as I am being fanned by the native Swahili people that live here. So vacation. Much relax. Wow!

2 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

There is no billionaire who worked for that money. Not one.

Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Elon Musk...

Rich people not giving a shit about you poors: https://youtu.be/XDeed2dr8pc

But seriously, I and all the rich people I know "insert their dicks into everything" because they're the only ones who have the money and the resources to, and because they want to help not rich people get to where they're at to, or at least enjoy some of the things they do.

Why do poor people tear down anyone who isn't poor like them, and believe being poor is a virtuous way to live?

• Like 1

Giant effort post, srry

2 hours ago, Onnes said:

Well, if anyone wants a serious post here, I'll at least give it a try.

Suppose you have a lot of money. You would be very tempted to adopt the philosophy that wealth is solely the result of one's own skill, intelligence, and hard work. Your wealth is earned and you are entitled to every last bit of it.

Given this outlook, you now see people are, by and large, much less wealthy than you are. They therefore must lack the same degree of skill, intelligence, and determination that you do. The poor are inferior and it is your job to either belittle them or enlighten them, depending on your disposition.

That's just always been my hunch as to how certain attitudes develop.

There's a pretty good book by Nick Taleb that makes exactly this point, Fooled by Randomness: The hidden role of chance in markets and life. It focuses on traders who "strike it big" and believe their success is due to the qualities you mentioned. These people usually see their decision-making as directly causing their success, ignoring the large number of people who followed the same process but ended up failing. In other words, they underestimate the role random chance played in their success.The whole book is pretty readable for people not into statistics.

10 minutes ago, evan said:

I'm from a family that is arguably upper middle class, and pursuing a music degree as someone who has an economic comfort zone is a luxury that I do feel exists, and while people like to say I work hard, I don't feel that effectively undermines the fact that I have no current concerns about the floor being pulled from under me. I've got friends who don't have as much money to spend from day to day, and while I only ever purchase food nowadays, I know there are also a lot of things that would not have been a possibility were my limitations from a financial standpoint greater. 

idunno. that's why i want to work harder. i know i got a chance people don't always get and i feel every time i take advantage of certain things i'd be wasting it. there are habits i need to kick, and i'm trying not to make myself miserable but i know i need to improve myself and not let finance determine myself as worthy of anything, until i know that i'm doing what i feel is respectable.

you're a good empathetic guy, but also don't feel bad/guilty if your family is well off. I think an ideal society is once where we all have the same opportunities as the wealthy, not one where we tear everyone down to living in poverty, and it sounds like you're trying to do good with the opportunities you have.

3 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Dont rich people work really hard and use money wisely to become rich, though? No use scoffing at those types of hard working rich people out of spite for one's lack of income. Sounds like jealousy.

Assuming we're not talking about pompous snobby rich people off of inherited wealth who did jack all for their income and hoards it

Edit: Oh wait this is a subtly veiled attack against a specific individual, isnt it?

I think the larger problem (and maybe where these attitudes, as well as poor hating, come from) is the lack of opportunities for people the further down you go on the socio-economic ladder. There's the obvious material stuff: a well-off family will have the financial means to send their kids to good schools, pay for tutoring if the student struggles, live in affluent areas with opportunities for employment/networks/enrichment, while a lower-class family will not have these advantages. That's going to impact a person's life chances.

But there's also cultural and social differences. An affluent family, or even a middle class one, will tend to have two parents and a wide social network, while working class families see higher divorce or single parent rates (for lots of reasons but tight economic conditions make life hard). A two parent family is going to have more time to devote to parenting kids, or the resources for daycare, and those parents are more likely to be university educated and read up on good parenting practices. A single working class mother isn't going to have the same resources, time, or know-how. Wealthier families also tend to be tapped into wider and wealthier social networks than their working class counterparts, which gives them a leg up on preparing their kids for school and work as well as getting their kids a foot in the door at good workplaces. Finally, there's also a working class culture which (understandably) emphasizes distrust of authority (whether school or work) and prepares kids for low-wage labour or to drop out (ie. Learning to Labour by Paul Willis for those who want more info).

I guess my main point is that there's very little mobility between classes (except maybe downward these days) and the wealthy have the better opportunities for good employment and to invest their wealth so they can generate even more wealth. Most people work hard regardless of class. But the lower income worker, despite producing and delivering the goods and services that make society function, get little money for their troubles. This post has gone on long enough but if you're interested, a good and recent intro to changes in socio-economic mobility since the 1950s is Our Kids by Robert Putnam.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Rassah said:

But seriously, I and all the rich people I know "insert their dicks into everything" because they're the only ones who have the money and the resources to, and because they want to help not rich people get to where they're at to, or at least enjoy some of the things they do.

Why do poor people tear down anyone who isn't poor like them, and believe being poor is a virtuous way to live?

you not giving a shit would look exactly like that except there wouldn't be a video being taken.

also, i can understand that intent of wanting to "help get to their place in life" on some level, but i refuse to see how you think being so belaboured about this whole situation is equitable to some sort of misunderstood good deed. you've even said it before that you take enjoyment out of seeing perceived "poor people" get annoyed at you ((an argument you've yet to actually prove is based on whether people are actually genuinely poor and hate your posts as a result, or just find you a complete dick), and then proceed to tryhard all over the forum.

i've personally been much happier living a life away from a situation where my family afforded everything, and it's primarily because, to me, value just doesn't happen to equate to a price tag. i personally think you're happy because of what being rich has actually entailed in opportunities. being poor doesn't necessarily mean that you lose those opportunities to be happy so much as they are very different. and to me i think that matters way more than what you think is going on. does everything have cost? yes. but at the same time i'm fully aware that truly important experiences come in more than one package. some are expensive, and some are a byproduct of just having the right people there, something that defies socioeconomic status.

it's not that poor people hate you for lacking poorness. it's that you see their poorness as an act of spite.

29 minutes ago, Rassah said:

Bill Gates? Legitimate? Pft. Steve? Ehh yeah okay. You know Rassah there's a lot of shit your money will never buy. And you can accumulate as much wealth as you desire ya sack of shit but a "man who dies rich dies disgraced".

3 hours ago, Amiir said:

If one's rich it's because they probably earned it through wits, pure luck and/or hard work

And screwing over people in the process.

23 minutes ago, Brass said:

Bill Gates? Legitimate? Pft. Steve? Ehh yeah okay. You know Rassah there's a lot of shit your money will never buy. And you can accumulate as much wealth as you desire ya sack of shit but a "man who dies rich dies disgraced".

At least Bill Gates donates to charity from time to time.

Edited by Phausk
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rassah said:

None of these men actually did a lick of work to EARN that money. You know what they did? They either A. got the money through luck or B. got the money by playing stocks. None of them went to work 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, and made billions. These people did not WORK. They were simply given the money through various means.

2 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

None of these men actually did a lick of work to EARN that money. You know what they did? They either A. got the money through luck or B. got the money by playing stocks. None of them went to work 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, and made billions. These people did not WORK. They were simply given the money through various means.

I can't speak for Elon Musk or Warren Buffet, but Bill Gates and Steve Jobs worked incredibly hard for a number years - probably harder than anybody else could in a lifetime, and used their knowledge of the industry they was working in to skyrocket themselves into a dominant position. They mastered a craft and reaped the rewards. If that's not 'earning' billions of dollars, then I don't know what is.

Yes, there are a number of billionaires who are lucky enough to be born into rich families (Donald Trump, Gina Rinehart, etc.) but the money has to come from somewhere, and it has to start with somebody.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Azurex said:

I can't speak for Elon Musk or Warren Buffet, but Bill Gates and Steve Jobs worked incredibly hard for a number years - probably harder than anybody else could in a lifetime, and used their knowledge of the industry they was working in to skyrocket themselves into a dominant position. They mastered a craft and reaped the rewards. If that's not 'earning' billions of dollars, then I don't know what is.

Yes, there are a number of billionaires who are lucky enough to be born into rich families (Donald Trump, Gina Rinehart, etc.) but the money has to come from somewhere, and it has to start with somebody.

Steve Jobs is one of the most legendary bullshit artists of all time, actually. He hardly worked a day in his life, and rode the coattails of an inventor named Steve Wozniak to his riches. Fuck Steve Jobs. He didn't create or master anything, he stole everything that made him rich.

• Like 4

Just now, Lucyfish said:

Steve Jobs is one of the most legendary bullshit artists of all time, actually. He hardly worked a day in his life, and rode the coattails of an inventor named Steve Wozniak to his riches. Fuck Steve Jobs. He didn't create or master anything, he stole everything that made him rich.

I was conflicted on whether or not to mention Steve in that post given his history, but the point still stands with Bill Gates

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Azurex said:

I was conflicted on whether or not to mention Steve in that post given his history, but the point still stands with Bill Gates

Gates didn't invent anything, though. All Bill Gates did was get together a team of researchers, who in turn created everything that HE made money off of. Bill Gates was never a worker or an inventor, he was simply an executive.

Edited by Lucyfish

Just now, Brass said:

If you want to talk about hard working people in computing who did amazing things Wozniak, Linus, and Stallman are some good people to mention. 

I agree, and these men got none of the recognition they deserved.

Why? Because executives always run off with all the fucking money.

• Like 1

Just now, Lucyfish said:

I agree, and these men got none of the recognition they deserved.

Why? Because executives always run off with all the fucking money.

Well to be fair 2/3 listed weren't really in it for the money. Not enough people know of them which is what I take issue in. And That's only 3 people. There are many more. You know who else was a scum bag? Edison.

• Like 1

Just now, Brass said:

Well to be fair 2/3 listed weren't really in it for the money. Not enough people know of them which is what I take issue in. And That's only 3 people. There are many more. You know who else was a scum bag? Edison.

Poor poor Tesla ;~;

• Like 2

There is obviously something very wrong with Capitalism then, isn't there? Fucking scum of the Earth, these here rich people.

I say we make a new and totally cool system, where we remove those "social classes". Then we distribute the wealth across everyone. People can then be entitled to what they need, and get a certain amount of other secondary needs covered, like entertainment items or transportation vehicles. People can work as much as they want, but there will always be enough to cover for everyone. Education will be free, healthcare will be free and everyone will be happy. :D

• Like 1

My point is there is no honest way to earn a billion dollars. The only way someone becomes a billionaire is through either dishonest means, luck, or by being an executive, a job title that is overpaid to shit as well as REALLY not that hard to fucking do.

Edited by Lucyfish

1 minute ago, Phausk said:

Yeah he's a pretty weird guy now and I honestly don't know what, if, he contributes anymore. He's gone mad in his old age. 

5 minutes ago, Amiir said:

Hahaha the amounts of jealousy in this thread are hilarious

What makes you say this, Amiir my friend.

Just now, Toshabi said:

Pretty sure it's pseudo/forced, considering the entire point of this thread was to call out Rassah. 

H-hey now. Keep your voice down.

13 minutes ago, Brass said:

Yeah he's a pretty weird guy now and I honestly don't know what, if, he contributes anymore. He's gone mad in his old age. 

What makes you say this, Amiir my friend.

H-hey now. Keep your voice down.

Well it backfired, considering now I got the image of two shirtless pasty white doughy dweebs forever burned into my eyeballs because of this thread.

Edited by Toshabi

9 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

Well it backfired, considering now I got the image of two shirtless pasty white doughy dweebs forever burned into my eyeballs because of this thread.

You'd think someone with so much money would have a gym membership or a personal trainer or SOMETHING. 

6 minutes ago, Amiir said:

LOL sarcasm. Lovely

That remark cuts me deep. 

1 minute ago, Half-Note said:

Now now guys.

It's just the work of the Jew.

Go on with your lives, work, eat, consume die.

It's as easy as one, two, three four. :D

I bet my forever-a-virgin ass that we're not as relevant as we like to think we are anyway, ^.^

1449194174361.png.5b4abb2e36c328daddeb7f

• Zeke locked this topic