Is that true

Nova

They don't hate black people, but you will get looks from them if you walk the streets there, the further away you are from big cities.

People of other ethnicities are still somewhat unusual to them, so it's very likely you'll be stared at out of curiosity, and they'll often assume you're a tourist and that you're unable to talk in their language. Some people might feel offended by that.

The truth is, you'll inevitably feel somewhat ostracized there.

Edited by Luka

I would probably get a compliment in japan because i dont have a generic flat nose. Dor some reason my nose is a little bit big but  not flat.

I am befriended with a boy from the philippins and i  dont notice any racism.

I have read more about japan. Japanese people like very pale skin, Pretty skin and high chance to get skin cancer

Edited by Nova

40 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

Wasn't there that one guy on FAF who was ranting hard about how fundamentally racist and homophobic Japan is?

Good memory! I remember it too now that you mentioned it

I don't know if it's that Japanese people don't like Jews, or if Jews fear the samurai.

Either way, I don't know if Japan is exactly hateful towards black people in general, I just don't think they're aware of the cultural norms we have towards black people in the west.

Though, that being said, Japan is quite xenophobic in general.

3 hours ago, Cingal said:

I don't know if it's that Japanese people don't like Jews, or if Jews fear the samurai.

Either way, I don't know if Japan is exactly hateful towards black people in general, I just don't think they're aware of the cultural norms we have towards black people in the west.

Though, that being said, Japan is quite xenophobic in general.

Well they dont mess with ya black people. I saw asians who have a chin  shaped like a box.

Japan is quite a xenophobic country, but that is mostly towards foreigners moving in. General consensus is that the Japanese want to keep their country homogeneous.

However, I'm sure you would find more positive and fascinated reactions than anything else, given how rare it is for them to appear in the country. Japanese media tend to portray blacks as powerful and cool, and a lot of Japanese youth fashion is strongly influenced by hiphop.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2015 at 11:25 PM, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Have you ever seen a black person in an anime?

(I have seen like oneor two, but overall, nah. That must meaaaan....racisms)

yes! there is one in zetsobu seranoya sensai and a couple in Negima Negi Magi if I remember correctly. obviously Axis Powers Hetalia has black characters too though there are less than you'd think. 

2Q==

Edited by Caledonian

On 12/15/2015 at 4:17 AM, Azurex said:

Japan is quite a xenophobic country, but that is mostly towards foreigners moving in. General consensus is that the Japanese want to keep their country homogeneous.

However, I'm sure you would find more positive and fascinated reactions than anything else, given how rare it is for them to appear in the country. Japanese media tend to portray blacks as powerful and cool, and a lot of Japanese youth fashion is strongly influenced by hiphop.

When things are exotic, people appreciate them more. Even if in a shallow way.

Edited by Clove Darkwave

the experiences that were described to me by those who took a year of study in japan when i was looking at an exchange program was that they will be extremely curious in you, moreso in rural areas. the community one person ended up in seemed to be very extroverted towards him, and that might suggest that they have a fundamental desire to maintain community, which is why they may be simultaneously xenophobic on the macro

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! I found this thread while searching my own name. How fortuitous that it is something about which I am well-versed!

First of all, Japanese people do not hate black people! Japanese love black people! But they are also afraid of them. You see, in Japan, everyone loves the idea of being black someday, but is a very Japanese idea of being black. Like so!

tumblr_lfuu13qv1y1qa2x4ao1_400.jpgganguro.jpg Teriyaki_Boyz_VERBAL_crop.jpg

You can see how these images do not depict anything that is, or resembles, a black person, but they are trying very hard!

The trend is less strong nowadays than it was 5-10 years ago, but back in 2005, mang every Japanese-born person wanted to be black. Then they met an actual black person, and freaked out in screams and tears. Because in Japan, being black is objectified as being both excellent at rap and sports, as well as gun-toting and dangerous. Black people in Japan can be expected to be asked, "how many guns do you have?" Not just once, but many times. That is because in Japan, it is okay to be racist, as long as it is by Japanese-born, purely ethnically Japanese people whom have never left Japan.

On 12/14/2015 at 4:32 PM, DrDingo said:

Wasn't there that one guy on FAF who was ranting hard about how fundamentally racist and homophobic Japan is?

Hello!