I probably won't be enjoying this New Year's Eve

So tomorrow will be New Year's Eve and I'm pretty anxious about it. My parents have been asking me these past days whether I have plans for the occasion. My answer was yes but I lied: I have no friends to hang out with. They said that if need be I could go with them and spend the night together along with their buddies but I don't wanna stand there like that one loser who has to go out with his parents because he's got no friends. Goddamit, that kind of sounds ungrateful but... I don't know, it just doesn't feel right. It would feel awkward, humiliating even. I'd be okay with it if I was going just with my mom but the problem is my dad will be there too. I just don't want to be around him. The alternative, and that is sitting behind my computer as always while everyone else is having fun out there, isn't any better. I guess... I'm just going out, take some cash, go downtown, see if there's an event or something. I will be alone but it will hopefully be better than staying home with all of tomorrow night's inevitable movement, even though I'm not 100% sure about it.

So yeah. What would you do in cases such as these, where you don't have friends to go out with but still want to go out? Did you have similar experiences? Tips? Advices? Thoughts? Whatever floats your boats

Oh, and feel free to say what you have planned for tomorrow night and stuff if you want. Everything goes really

Edited by Guest

for the past few years up until last New Year's I went to my friend's house for New Years and we had a party. but then they moved away and our friend group kind of disbanded. last year I spent it with my best friend and really all we did was sit at his apartment. this year I'm kind of in the same boat as you lol. I wanna go out and party (especially since I'm 21 now and can get into bars here) but honestly, I don't wanna make plans with anybody because I'm lazy. but since I don't have a car I'm kind of limited to relying on other people or staying at home basically. my only other alternative would be to spend it with my parents at a relative's house.

but I would advise you to at least go out and do something even if it's by yourself tbh. it seems kind of lame but it beats staying at home on New Year's. and could be less awkward depending on where you go

It's not like you need to go and party. Plenty of people just stay in.

This year is the first year ever that I've actually been invited to something. Being at home isn't so bad; you can still message whoever the hell you want as new year comes. 

If you wander through town and you don't find anything to do, it'll only be more depressing for you.

You could always say the thing you were invited to was cancelled. Maybe the kid 'got in trouble' or something.

I honestly think it sounds like it'd be more fun to go with your parents. They offered. There is no shame in going out with your parents on New Year's Eve. Its quite common in fact (or at least something I sometimes did with my parents). I wouldn't worry too much about it and just enjoy yourself.

As for what I'm doing...Well, a bunch of my highschool friends have been planning for months to go hang out at a cabin together for a few days, and that starts tomorrow, so that's what I'll be doing.

Edited by Battlechili
  • Like 3

Going out with family for new years eve isn't that bad

Soul crushingly boring sometimes ( especially if you can't drink achohol to pass the time...) but  you're with family , better that than being alone.

Ok I'lll admit I'd rather be on the discord server celebrating it with furries than with my family but that's because I go with my parents every new years eve, it really ain't that bad though.

• Like 1

It's not mandatory to go out and see friends at new years. 

I'd suggest doing whatever makes you happiest, or least miserable. If you'd rather stay indoors and play videogames, what's stopping you? No need to force yourself into doing stuff if you don't feel like doing simply because there are some others doing it.

• Like 2

I'm a loser who has no IRL friends too, so I will be spending the night playing Rainbow Six Siege with more losers who have no friends and we'll all be losers together, except when we win in-game. :L

My family has never done anything for NY, except for a few years when I was a kid my dad would get snacks for us kids and we'd stay up and watch the ball drop. It stopped being fun after a while though, I just did it for the snacks mostly.

Your plan seems like an ok one, but not something I could will myself to do. However, I'm also perfectly content not going to events or parties - it's only the IRL loneliness that bugs me. I do wish I had a buddy or significant other to hang out with during special times like that, but I would not want to go to any events and just stay home instead.

40 minutes ago, Kinare said:

I'm a loser who has no IRL friends too, so I will be spending the night playing Rainbow Six Siege with more losers who have no friends and we'll all be losers together, except when we win in-game. :L

Ayy! Is there any space in the loser/no-life club? :P

@Amiir

I'll probably be playing some game tomorrow since my life is already lame & boring asf, but It's not like anyone around me is doing anything special either.

Maybe I'll just make a video tomorrow. Of what?  I don't know. 

2 minutes ago, Terminal7 said:

Ayy! Is there any space in the loser/no-life club? :P

Probably will be at some point, especially since it's a holiday I can imagine we won't have quite as steady 5 stacks going once it gets to be closer to that "special" time. Dang have-lifers do ruin the fun sometimes when they're not there to carry the rest of us.

Last new year, I worked a 12 hour day on the new year' eve, but I didn't sleep at all the night before. I was dead on my feet the entire 12 hours. My family went out to celebrate and I just got home and crashed the fuck out. That was one of the less good new year's.

Usually I stay in and study but that's out of my own choice, I guess. I usually have something to go to (usually with family) but it's not important enough to me to lose a day of studying over. This year my best friend has invited me over to chill and I like the sound of that.

People can have a really good time just going out and going with the flow though, that's for sure. If you can make it work for you, you could end up having a good time.

I'm going to a barn dance with hot rods, chopper bikes, live rockabilly music, moonshine, and burlesque dancers. 

If you go out to a club or something bring condoms. 

There will be other desperate lonely people looking to have sex because they have low self esteem and think they should not be alone on New Years. 

You don't want to start the new year with the HIV right?

Amiir, just don't feel compelled to do something for new years because that's what you think you should be doing. There isn't any shame in going with your parents I've spent all but 1 new years with my parents and it's pretty common. If you do go out to town, stay safe mate. Nothin' wrong with stayin' home on the computer though that's what me and a lot of other people will be doing.

Due to work I spent thanksgiviing alone and quite enjoyed it. Didnt see friends either because I dont have any friends close enough to thatI could thanksgiving plan with. But I just dogsat for a bit, went home, ate chick fil a and chips for dinner, and threw my own cozy party.

I'll likely be doing new years with however my family decides to spend it and just roll with it. Im not particular in planning it.

If I was in your place though Id definitely seek a night out in town. Im the type to wander and explore even if alone, as much as I like staying in doing it too much makes you more of a loser than going outside sometimes :P even alone.

Id hang with good friends if I knew anyone, though! :3

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

10 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

I am going to a gig for the first time. Gonna get drunk with my brother and listen to loud metal music.

Nice change since usually I'm in OP's situation.

Sounds like a fun way to spend the new years. Which band(s) are you going to listen to?

Thank you for your thoughts and advices guys. I made up my mind and will most likely go out tonight. Never went out on my own on New Year's so that should (hopefully) be an interesting new experience. I'll bring my cellphone with me so maybe I can show you what I saw, yes? Now, let's browse the almighty internet and see what events will go down tonight...

Another thing (and I guess this will sound extremely paranoid and stupid to some), if I don't come back tomorrow maybe there was a terrorist attack and I died or something. I mean, come on, starting to fire a kalashnikov or detonating a bomb in the middle of the fireworks is a perfect way to kill dozens of unsuspecting civilians as their sounds blend in with the general confusion. Writing this here just in case. Yes yes I'm paranoid I know lol but there's always the chance. Still, I WILL go out

3 minutes ago, Amiir said:

Thank you for your thoughts and advices guys. I made up my mind and will most likely go out tonight. Never went out on my own on New Year's so that should (hopefully) be an interesting new experience. I'll bring my cellphone with me so maybe I can show you what I saw, yes? Now, let's browse the almighty internet and see what events will go down tonight...

Another thing (and I guess this will sound extremely paranoid and stupid to some), if I don't come back tomorrow maybe there was a terrorist attack and I died or something. I mean, come on, starting to fire a kalashnikov or detonating a bomb in the middle of the fireworks is a perfect way to kill dozens of unsuspecting civilians as their sounds blend in with the general confusion. Writing this here just in case. Yes yes I'm paranoid I know lol but there's always the chance. Still, I WILL go out

Have fun Amiir and above all else make sure you stay safe.

New Years Eve has always been a meh experience for me as it doubles as my birthday as well but I'm not the party goer, I'll happily sit at home, eat Chinese food, play video games or watch the new years eve celebration specials that air on British TV, yay I'm a year old in this crapsaccharine world

Alright then, it's 9:20 PM and I'm going. Wish me fun

And in case there should be a terrorist attack or something and I die know that I love you all <3

Edited by Guest

Update. Things didn't go as planned. Basically, I went to take the only bus I know of that can take me directly to Piazza Venezia, thus right in the centre of Rome. I sat there at the bus stop but the damn thing just wouldn't come and I had already waited a good 20 or so minutes. So I then chose to go for route B, which consists of taking another bus which would bring me to the nearest metro station. Can you guess what happened? Yep, I waited another 20 minutes and no bus was to be seen at which point I just called this thing off. It had just become too much of an hassle, not to mention that I felt tired, both for running from a point to another and because I didn't fully recover from this nausea/cold/headache I caught yesterday. After all, even if I did get there I would have wandered about aimlessly without really knowing what to do. The ''plan'' was to get to my destination and maybe go to a bar or something. Alone, with complete strangers. So I basically went like ''Fuck it'' and here I am. I would have given it a shot had I felt better and hadn't it become so fucking difficult to get where the hell I wanted. Though in this case it's my fault since I didn't check my town's public transport service's site for updates... Which, upon reading them right now, clearly state that the bus night service will be inactive for New Year's (the last route was at 9 PM). Ha. Hahahaha. Haha. Ha. Anyway, no big loss. Again, I wasn't really sure of what I was doing and unorganized shit like this tends to be crappy. As you can see I couldn't even get transport. Basically? Fuck it, it was only stress anyway

Edited by Guest

Happy new year! Sorry you couldn't make it out. I probably would've walked at that point (Rome isn't that big, unless you live way out far). Hope if you can't celebrate with others, you can say last have a nice relaxing evening at home. There's always the forums too xD

P.S. I knew you were in Italy, but didn't realize you were in Rome. I'll have to look you up next time I visit.

Edited by Rassah

1 hour ago, Rassah said:

Happy new year! Sorry you couldn't make it out. I probably would've walked at that point (Rome isn't that big, unless you live way out far). Hope if you can't celebrate with others, you can say last have a nice relaxing evening at home. There's always the forums too xD

P.S. I knew you were in Italy, but didn't realize you were in Rome. I'll have to look you up next time I visit.

Yeah, staying home really wasn't as bad as I dreaded it to be. I just sat down, chatted it up with the bros and just relaxed. Tonight has been a good night

You could always go to a bar, you might know someone there, or get a nice drink. I'm going to be staying home since my husband has to work. I doubt I'll be drinking much, we are planning on lighting off the fireworks that we bought for the 4th, but we had a ban going on. So alcohol and explosives are how I will be spending my new year.