Rant: The Vape Culture

Mander

Now, I am part of this culture, for what I like to think 'good' reasons. I started vaping to quit smoking, with resounding success! Now I won't lie and say i've not accepted the occasional bummed cigarette, however I have not personally purchased a pack since June 5th, 2015 :D I've only smoked 4 Cigarettes since then, so I am proud of myself!

Now, my issue, is the stereotypical vaper. The kind of people who spend damn near their entire paycheck on the newest mods to hit the market, can't respect people's space [let alone no smoking laws] and praise vape as if it's the second coming of god, and make people like me who started it with the right intentions in mind get flak for people who can't control their vape-broness. =_=

• Like 2

I vape these days (Coffee flavor unsurprisingly :V). I think it's a great step in the history of smoking and is better for everyone in just about every way imaginable. I go 0mg nicotine so it's not even about addiction in my case.

I'm not into the whole arms race like most vapers are. I'm content with what I have now and as long as I can blow rings and such I'm happy. It's just something to fiddle with while doing something else.

I vape these days (Coffee flavor unsurprisingly :V). I think it's a great step in the history of smoking and is better for everyone in just about every way imaginable. I go 0mg nicotine so it's not even about addiction in my case.

I'm not into the whole arms race like most vapers are. I'm content with what I have now and as long as I can blow rings and such I'm happy. It's just something to fiddle with while doing something else.

I usually go for something called MilkMan, but I also love me some juicy peach. I vape on 6mg, i'm working on getting it to 0. I started at 12mg :D

My mom thinks I'm cool....

No but seriously.
I tried a few of those when they came out, were kind of nice but didn't get much from it compared to a normal smoke.

That was my issue starting as well. -Nothing- beats a real smoke. It's kind of a point of where there's a will there's a way. I had to trudge through the withdrawal, and it ended up working out.

Don't mind the vape stuff, but it's brought out a new generation of Vape douchebags who do it because it is cool. As an example, you have the intrusive vape enthusiasts who aren't aware that people who have glycerin allergies are a thing, or at least allergies to propylene glycol.

• Like 1

Don't mind the vape stuff, but it's brought out a new generation of Vape douchebags who do it because it is cool. As an example, you have the intrusive vape enthusiasts who aren't aware that people who have glycerin allergies are a thing, or at least allergies to propylene glycol.

And those who do it in front of others indoors because they think nobody minds it. I hate them. I hate the stereotypical vaper too.

I only smoke indoors once I've asked everyone if they care if I vape near them.

I started vaping to quit smoking

Erm... Technically you are still smoking :P It's hot vapor filled with chemicals that enters your lungs. All those aromatic compounds inside this vaping liquid, I don't even want to imagine what nasty shit they turn into when the e-cig heats them up to vaporize them. It's safer than regular smoking, but that doesn't really say much.

And sadly every vaper I have personally met so far was a douche... That one time inside the lemur enclosure I like to visit one of the zoo keepers asked a guy to stop smoking inside it. And in the most snobby way he was all like "Ugh, what the heck are you even talking about? I'm not smoking, I'm vaping!" Yeah, as if it makes a difference that you blow nasty chemical vapors into people's faces instead of smoke...

Erm... Technically you are still smoking :P It's hot vapor filled with chemicals that enters your lungs. All those aromatic compounds inside this vaping liquid, I don't even want to imagine what nasty shit they turn into when the e-cig heats them up to vaporize them. It's safer than regular smoking, but that doesn't really say much.

And sadly every vaper I have personally met so far was a douche... That one time inside the lemur enclosure I like to visit one of the zoo keepers asked a guy to stop smoking inside it. And in the most snobby way he was all like "Ugh, what the heck are you even talking about? I'm not smoking, I'm vaping!" Yeah, as if it makes a difference that you blow nasty chemical vapors into people's faces instead of smoke...

Oh definitely, however I feel safer vaping than smoking normal cigarettes. I've stopped coughing and food tastes better now =P Plus it's monumentally cheaper.
Yea people like the one you described are assholes, and really need to learn respect.

I don't smoke and I don't vape hence I'm above you, pleb.

Honestly, tho, for me the only difference between vaping and smoking is, that vape doesn't have that foul cigarette smell, which I can hardly stand. But as for the influence over the organism, it's almost the same. Whilst you stop taking in nicotine and tar, you start taking in different chemicals.

And yes, sadly, it's true that most of the vapers are pretentious hipsters/fashion folowers.

eh... am generally a fan of vaping, I like the lack of stink (aside from scent generally) and it's got less junk in the second hand part of it...

However I run a tattoo shop next to a vape shop... You won't believe how many snide old white men come in and yell at me for NOThaving acces to the vape shop or KNOWING WHY THEY WEREN"T OPEN ON TUESDAYS and how dare I not know it. hahaha.

• Like 1

eh... am generally a fan of vaping, I like the lack of stink (aside from scent generally) and it's got less junk in the second hand part of it...

However I run a tattoo shop next to a vape shop... You won't believe how many snide old white men come in and yell at me for NOThaving acces to the vape shop or KNOWING WHY THEY WEREN"T OPEN ON TUESDAYS and how dare I not know it. hahaha.

Seriously, people come into your shop and chew you out because the vape shop next door is closed?  That is so strange.

Seriously, people come into your shop and chew you out because the vape shop next door is closed?  That is so strange.

Yes.  One actually threatened to call my boss and get me fired for being rude and not telling them what they wanted to know.

I had a cable company installer got mad at me too... And I put up an insulting sign.

I will completely admit to howling in their face and swearing them out of my shop (not like I was losing a customer there or any referals I wyould get from them that I'd actually want)

The sign was for the record:
NO this is not the Vape shop. 
NO you can't get into the VAPE shop from my PRIVATE shop.
NO I don't know why the Vape shop is closed on Tuesdays.
Yes I am sure I don't know why, because this is a tattoo shop.
And the Vape Shop doesn't pay me to know.

The old white people were still offended the younger idiots looked at it and got embarrassed and walked out.

• Like 3

Yes.  One actually threatened to call my boss and get me fired for being rude and not telling them what they wanted to know.

I had a cable company installer got mad at me too... And I put up an insulting sign.

I will completely admit to howling in their face and swearing them out of my shop (not like I was losing a customer there or any referals I wyould get from them that I'd actually want)

The sign was for the record:
NO this is not the Vape shop. 
NO you can't get into the VAPE shop from my PRIVATE shop.
NO I don't know why the Vape shop is closed on Tuesdays.
Yes I am sure I don't know why, because this is a tattoo shop.
And the Vape Shop doesn't pay me to know.

The old white people were still offended the younger idiots looked at it and got embarrassed and walked out.

I love your sign xD

Battlechili, you got it right. Initially it was supposed to be like that. But of course humans needed to twist it. like everywhing else.

And yes, I can enjoy a good cigar. Like one a month, on a special occasion. With good alcohol to accompany it. Just for taste.

• Like 1

Vaping just takes away all sex appeal and social crdibilty from a person, I mean the e-cigs look like a beefy weird thing, that smokes like a hookah while making a clothes iron sound every once in a while.

I personally smoke a cigarillo or a cigar every now and then with a good whisky or rum, for the taste of tobacco, and I intend on keeping it this way.

I've thought about trying it since I don't smoke, but would enjoy the alleged benefits (all calming and relaxing and shit) without that whole killing you slowly and painfully thing. Of course I have zero idea if vaping is actually "safe" since research not done by obnoxious hipsters is too inconclusive for me to take the plunge.

I mean I don't want to start using these stupid things to avoid lung cancer only to get like ass cancer instead or something.

Vaping just takes away all sex appeal and social crdibilty from a person, I mean the e-cigs look like a beefy weird thing, that smokes like a hookah while making a clothes iron sound every once in a while.

I personally smoke a cigarillo or a cigar every now and then with a good whisky or rum, for the taste of tobacco, and I intend on keeping it this way.

I'm pretty sure there's a lot of 'e-cigs' that look almost indistinguishable from a normal cigarette, assuming you're not like 2 inches away staring directly at it or something.

Edited by PastryOfApathy
How the fuck do you delete saved attachments holy shit

Wow, I didn't know that the vape thing developed somekind of a culture with stereotypes, even; then again, most of my friends still smoke cigarettes (and probably don't like to "mingle" with people who vapes?) or they don't smoke at all. There was just this friend of my cousin, when I went to visit him in Geneva, who used to smoke peach-flavoured vape everywhere, but didn't boast about it. In retrospect, it had a pretty nice smell, too.

I remember the first time these things appeared on the market, the streets of my town were filled with vape shops only to end up closed a few manths later, now I only see a couple of them still selling stuff: maybe it hasn't become much of a fashion here.

I've thought about trying it since I don't smoke, but would enjoy the alleged benefits (all calming and relaxing and shit) without that whole killing you slowly and painfully thing. Of course I have zero idea if vaping is actually "safe" since research not done by obnoxious hipsters is too inconclusive for me to take the plunge.

I mean I don't want to start using these stupid things to avoid lung cancer only to get like ass cancer instead or something.

I'm pretty sure there's a lot of 'e-cigs' that look almost indistinguishable from a normal cigarette, assuming you're not like 2 inches away staring directly at it or something.

Isn't it only calming and relaxing to people because they're addicted to it? Nicotine is a stimulant. Unless you mean something else they're putting in those things.

If you don't smoke, don't try it, there is no point in getting nicotine like that. Also of course it's not safe, I mean the liquid you're putting in those is classified as a poisonous chemical. If you wanna relax and calm down just smoke some good ganja, it's much better for you than this crap!

here e-cigs still have a hard time getting into common use, I mean you can't "borrow" a vape, like you would with normal tobacco, nor can you put magical herbs into it before rolling it, hence why most highschoolers and students here just buy tobacco and cigarette paper.

I liked the occasional clove cigarette, until that became a habit, then it became something more than habit, Then it got expensive. I didn't think to try vaping. I just did it like my folks, the hard, old-fashioned way, cold turkey and lots of will power. 

Still there isn't a day that goes by I don't want to smoke a clove cigarette. I gave them up almost ten years ago.

The vape e-cigs look interesting, but they were a really novel and expensive technology when I was giving up clove smokes. And I fully agree, it is fine to smoke 'em if you got 'em, but don't puff it in people's faces. You are just a douche-nozzle if you do that.

If you don't smoke, don't try it, there is no point in getting nicotine like that. Also of course it's not safe, I mean the liquid you're putting in those is classified as a poisonous chemical. If you wanna relax and calm down just smoke some good ganja, it's much better for you than this crap!

here e-cigs still have a hard time getting into common use, I mean you can't "borrow" a vape, like you would with normal tobacco, nor can you put magical herbs into it before rolling it, hence why most highschoolers and students here just buy tobacco and cigarette paper.

Figures as much. I don't have access to pot or anything so I'll just keep chugging adderall and sleeping pills.

I like how everyone is going all "Filled with chemicals" "Toxic shit nonetheless"

Little do they know that the vape liquid is generally just propylene glycol, vegetable glycerol and food faromas (+nicotine if you use it). Studies have shown that since there's no tar and nearly all burn-related compounds are gone, it contains a meager 1% of the harmful ingredients a normal cigarette does. Trace amounts of formaldehyde, a lung irritant can form if superheated with crazy mods. Not to mention just about all the ingredients for vape fluids are approved for consumption and safe to be ingested. Only long term studies will show what the effects of prolonged inhalation of these things will do, but I doubt it'll be much.

Anyway, since people often just see smoke and go buttmad over it, there's no point in treating vaping differently.

There was two guys in my catering college who vaped. One was a mid 40s Polish guy and the other was a 17 year old hyperhead. The Polish guy only vaped out the back with the rest of the smokers because he didn't want to intrude on anyone, the 17 year old vaped all over the place and got snarky at any Chef that told him to put it away "Man it isn't a cigarette! I know my rights, you can't deny me using this  blabksiodjgiouajsdg!"

Yea until he was told to either stop or gtfo. Always 2 kinds of people.

I like how everyone is going all "Filled with chemicals" "Toxic shit nonetheless"

Little do they know that the vape liquid is generally just propylene glycol, vegetable glycerol and food faromas (+nicotine if you use it). Studies have shown that since there's no tar and nearly all burn-related compounds are gone, it contains a meager 1% of the harmful ingredients a normal cigarette does. Trace amounts of formaldehyde, a lung irritant can form if superheated with crazy mods. Not to mention just about all the ingredients for vape fluids are approved for consumption and safe to be ingested. Only long term studies will show what the effects of prolonged inhalation of these things will do, but I doubt it'll be much.

Anyway, since people often just see smoke and go buttmad over it, there's no point in treating vaping differently.

"What do you mean I can't vape in a cramped restaurant!?! It's bubblegum flavored!"

I hate vapers because they think that just because it's legal to do indoors/outside by entryways that they're perfectly justified in blowing that shit right in people's faces.

As an Amurrican I'm usually all about muh freedums but I will do nothing but laugh if they decide to fold that shit into existing smoking ordinances and all the vapefags will cry big smoky tears about how it isn't fair.

• Like 2

Okay no. I used to work at a vape store. ( for a good two years before I moved recently.) I love how vaping can help people quit . Most of my family has thanks to it. But god damn I hated working with the know it all vaping 'dudes' who came in. (Dudes also means girls in this case bc some girls are just as fucking bad ) Honestly they would come in just to shoot the shit and not buy anything and leave the shop filled with nasty smelling vapor because they don't know how to brush their fucking teeth. Their annoying as hell , I swear I'm so glad I don't work there anymore so I don't have to hear about someones fancy mod that goes up to 200+ Watt's when they only use 60 on it.Or that their dripper is the BEST in town. Like I honestly could care freaking less. But what I hate about them the most is they give others who vape a bad name. asdf I vape and I'm not an asshat who goes into a theater and vapes it up ( why though like holy fuck can you not I'm trying to watch a movie you twat ). I mean it's one thing to vape indoors and it's small and doesn't bother anyone it's another thing to fill up a room or blow it in peoples faces. I swear to god. 

Edit: I should make it clear I'm all for them being treated like normal cigs tbh 

Edited by Sweetlikesugar
bc I'm a dumb

I'm glad vaping has helped some people to quit smoking cigarettes, but I am still curious if vaping has any yet-undiscovered side effects.

The common belief that it's "totally safe, dude" does seem to lead to people acting like idiots and vaping in places where smoking isn't allowed.

I'm glad vaping has helped some people to quit smoking cigarettes, but I am still curious if vaping has any yet-undiscovered side effects.

The common belief that it's "totally safe, dude" does seem to lead to people acting like idiots and vaping in places where smoking isn't allowed.

There was some hubbub surrounding Knife Party member and former Pendulum vocalist Rob Swire and how apparently he attributes a temporary deafness in one ear to vaping. Apparently after a visit to his doctor it was assumed that the active ingredient propylene glycol  was to blame for the scare.

Here's a link I just pulled up

Of course its not "totally safe." You're still breathing hot vapor into your lungs which is going to increase your risk of pneumonia and lung cancer.

Is it better than smoking? Certainly. You're not breathing tar into your lungs and thats good. But hot water vapor isn't going to be 100% safe either.

Of course its not "totally safe." You're still breathing hot vapor into your lungs which is going to increase your risk of pneumonia and lung cancer.

Is it better than smoking? Certainly. You're not breathing tar into your lungs and thats good. But hot water vapor isn't going to be 100% safe either.

It's not hot though