It's 2:01 AM and I just watched Mad Max: Fury Road

Machine

I heavily disagree, the music and sound is very disappointing for a Mad max. When ever you start hearing Joe's party in the background you expect it to get very loud when the action is shot within it. But instead of that you get muffled engine sounds and you can barely makeout the music. It's very sad those moments should be a lot louder.

Also max... isn't really max. And when it comes to madness you see him getting visions everyonce in a while, but he acts way too kindly in my opinion. The film should have been called Mad Furiosa.

• Like 1

My dad says the originals are a lot different, and I will watch them when I find them.

oh.. you hadn't watched them beforehand... that explains a few things. Prepare for real hell, with a lot of leather... and punks... and what seems crazy driving but is really how aussies drive everyday to work

• Like 1

What made the previous Mad Maxs different from Fury Road?

30 years.

I don't think it was that different though, personally. Or rather, I don't think being different is unusual. Every new movie in that series has had a weirder theme than the last, and I think if this had come out in the late 80s then it would seem no more out of place than the others. But now not only has the theme grown stranger, it's been decades and you have a whole new cast as well as movies just not looking like they're from the 80s anymore, so people see a lot more change at once.

It sounds like this is a saga that evolved through time. It's better this way at the end of the day. If it doesn't adapt to the latest trends and tastes how's it gonna survive? One could argue that it loses its original touch. By all means, I had that feel myself concerning certain sagas and such, that they aren't true to the original formula or that they lack that something that made the first chapters so special. It should also be considered that one will almost inevitably favor the first movie they've seen or the first game they played of a saga, despite the flaws it may have. 'Tis the charm of the first time IMHO

What made the previous Mad Maxs different from Fury Road?

Mad Max was very personal. It was all about murder and vengeance, and the Toecutter Gang was a special kind of brutal. They raped both sexes, ran women down with babies in their arms, wrapped peopled in barbed wire, burned people alive ect. Max has his best friend, wife and son taken away from him. The movie takes Max from a cop in a decaying world to a former hero who no longer supports what little justice system remained, to a cold and rampaging driver. It ended with a completely disillusioned, emotionless Max driving into the outback. It also hinted at the beginning of the breakdown of society, and the energy crisis that led up to apocalypse that happens before Road Warrior.

Throughout the course of Road Warrior Max looses everything again. His car, his dog and what little faith he had left when the group he'd been fighting for the whole movie betray him. They used him as a decoy while they escaped, and Max doesn't get a drop of the fuel they had promised him. The theme was once again a marauding, rapist biker gang as the antagonists and Max's descent from heroic drifter to a broken man. It also had Warrior Woman, who was the first badass chick in the trilogy. It ended with Max being left behind and a character who knew him telling the story who children who didn't. This set him up as this legendary figure and part of the wasteland mythos.

Beyond Thunderdome (arguably the weakest of all four movies) begins with Max loosing his vehicle and his all stuff before reaching Bartertown. He strikes a deal with Aunty Entity to take out her rival but breaks it when he realizes he can't kill someone who's developmentally disabled. The rest of the film is about his attempts to rescue a group of tribal children from the 'civilization' that is Bartertown. Tough chicks in this movie were Aunty Entity and Savannah Nix. At the end of the movie, he's left in the wastelands with nothing while the kids are flown to safety where they come to live in the burned out shell of a skyscraper telling the story of Mad Max to their own kids.

Fury Road features an already broken Max, and while that makes sense after everything he's been through, it broke up the theme of building himself up again only to have it stripped away by the end of the movie. Sure, when the road war was over Max drifted off on his own, but the Max in the first three movies would have least bargained for a vehicle or supplies first. While the iconic Pursuit Special / V8 Interceptor makes an appearance, this time cobbled together from other wrecks, Max barely gets to use it before he looses it. It felt like a disappointing tease. And of course we loose the narration of the Mad Max story to the next generation.

It also introduced the effects of radiation, where previously there had been none. This makes sense if we come to the conclusion that the 'exploded cities' of Road Warrior were the result of a nuclear war / loss of the ozone layer over Australia. The sing-song lore that had been seen in kids (Feral Child and the Lost Tribe), developed into a deeper mythology that became more widespread.

Edited by Signy
  • Like 3

It's alright man, I still got your message, even though I had to skip through most of your post (only read the 1st, 4th and 5th paragraphs). Now I want to watch the first movies dammit!

Having seen the originals, I'm thrilled at the direction this movie took.

The first three did the same thing three times in regards to Max's character arc. Fury Road took a diversion and I'm glad for that. And while yes, Fury Road could be described more as a Furiosa movie, it's also pretty well apparent by the original Mad Max movies, that Max damn near ALWAYS takes a back seat to other characters in the movies.

Seriously, Max has always fit more of a supporting character role in his own movies, that's nothing new at all.

The antagonists being a literal patriarchy of testosterone fuelled, V8 worshipping pseudo-Vikings against the protagonist matriarchal team of old badass female naturalists who understand that the world was brought down by the very same themes and ideals the antagonists carry, made for a very different, refreshing, and incredibly entertaining viewing experience. Coupled with the impressive visual effects, which were damn near entirely practically done.

Did The Raid 2 come out this year? Or was that last year? If it did, then Mad Max: Fury Road only just comes up second place to the better action movies of this year.

• Like 2

Fury Road had a broken Max rebuilding himself and regaining humanity. It was very much about good, evil, and survival, and Max becoming the Hero of the Wastes. Again. 

Someone had a theory that these movies are in fact the mythic and legendary versions of real events, perhaps the events of a real person, but also maybe that 'Mad Max' was an an amalgamation of multiple, similar heroes over time, told generations later. 

It's an interesting theory, at least.

Fury Road is automotive carnage perfected. How can you not like the insane action and situational humor? And the way I see it, insulting Mad Max is like insulting RedSavage. So watch your words, lest you desecrate our fallen comrades.

I got some problems with those last statements you just made...

See, while we all know she loved those movies and we attribute that to her memory, that doesn't stop the movie itself from being criticized. If every movie was exempt from criticism cause someone that passed away loved them, we could never give an honest opinion on a film.

Edited by DevilishlyHandsome49

It's just a movie, but what a movie! My favorite Mad Max was the first one but now it's a tie between that and Fury Road. Harsh, brutal adrenaline rushes and Immortal Joe is the coolest movie villain I've seen in a long time.

Great movie is great. Best of the year, probably, even if I really dug Chappie and Jurassic World.

I happen to love Mad max fury road its an absolutely stunning movie from the sheer scale of everything (I say it in IMAX 3D) to the subtect in the villains tothe fact that there was no recognizable main character as they all got a fair amount ofscreen time and character development I feel most people whodislike it have nostalgia blindness and cant see the faults with the originl movies *cough cough* Tina Turne *cough cough cough*

Look, I apologize for what I did. It was fucking stupid of me, and Ayattar had every right to tell me off. I guess I should stop caring so much about everything so I can avoid creating such drama in the future.

Well if you respected other people's opinions and didn't bring the deceased into discussion we wouldn't be mad