Things that you hate! v2

Sar

Not "hate" as such, but this is really grinding my gears:

The general and frequent attitude that "nothing is worse than rape"

Firstly, the greatest trauma is considered to be losing a child. 

Secondly, for the most recent, this film just came on about some woman having served in the military heading into the woods, where, the announcer tells us things get worse-

So, I don't know, the story doesn't go into her entire time in the military, let's see-

... so having a friend die, then days after think they just may be aive, only to find out its just rats eating their corpse isn't worse than rape attempts?

... so threat of waking up any given morning with an enemy rifle pointing in your face isn't worse than rape attempts?

... so potentially getting sprayed with a flamethrower that shoots burning flammable liquid into every inch of your body isn't worse than rape attempts?

... so having the area you're in turned into an  inferno where you can hear the dying screams of those who couldn't escape in time as you're pinned down by enemy fire knowing the same thing could be happening to you any second isn't worse than rape attempts?

^ I think there are plenty of terrible things that could happen that are just as traumatizing as rape. I don't think we need a dick size contest to figure out who's trauma is worse than others. Have you been raped? If not, I don't know if you have any comparison to say "this is worse than that" unless you can actually compare them from experience.

I hate how it snowed 4 inches, but it's too cold and windy with 25mph winds and a wind chill in the single digits, to be able to go skiing or sledding, something I haven't been able to do because there's been like NO SNOW on the ground. Plus, half of it has melted already not because of the temps, which are in the 20s, but because of the sun being too high in the sky now. I think it will be unusable tomorrow. I actually wish I was in the East cost now, once the snow stops falling, to enjoy it.

• Like 1

Whoever's "greatest trauma" is going to vary per person.
I'd rather be murdered than raped, for instance, but that's not my call to make for someone else.
Nor it someone's to tell me I should feel the reverse. Anyone who does can go get fucked.

Comparing these things on a wide scale, and thinking they should apply to anyone except yourself is stupid.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

I hate how it snowed 4 inches, but it's too cold and windy with 25mph winds and a wind chill in the single digits, to be able to go skiing or sledding, something I haven't been able to do because there's been like NO SNOW on the ground. Plus, half of it has melted already not because of the temps, which are in the 20s, but because of the sun being too high in the sky now. I think it will be unusable tomorrow. I actually wish I was in the East cost now, once the snow stops falling, to enjoy it.

Snow is melting fast here in Baltimore, mostly went north. I miss outdoor winter things, like cross country skiing, especially. And just sledding. I got to go dog-sledding a few times, at a place that taught you how to hitch up and guide the team...that was really amazing. My folks live near Traverse City, so when I go up, I love doing wintry things...but temps in the 20s are best...single digits and wind are hard to take! It's funny to watch people here, when it snows, they sorta act like in the south: which is to say, they freak out!

Also, I want a new Winter Olympics event: Snowball fight!

Well, hope ya get a chance to have some winter fun, there.

4 minutes ago, Shiro said:

Not being able to eat anything other than baby food pretty much after getting all 4 wisdom teeth taken out. This is gonna be a long week.

Ouch! Oddly, I only had one wisdom tooth; the rest were just not there. Maybe I am not wise.

But it did hurt after; I was totally under, when they did it, but the pain meds helped, afterwards.

OK, soft stuff ya can eat:

-mashed potatoes, stuffing, soups, pudding, ice cream, pâté (fancy!), those protein drinks and fruit smoothies, bananas.

And most anything you put in a blender long enough. But I don't think pizza would be very good, blended. Your results will vary, with the blender.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Ouch! Oddly, I only had one wisdom tooth; the rest were just not there. Maybe I am not wise.

But it did hurt after; I was totally under, when they did it, but the pain meds helped, afterwards.

OK, soft stuff ya can eat:

-mashed potatoes, stuffing, soups, pudding, ice cream, pâté (fancy!), those protein drinks and fruit smoothies, bananas.

And most anything you put in a blender long enough. But I don't think pizza would be very good, blended. Your results will vary, with the blender.

Pretty much have everything you mentioned there in the fridge at the moment besides the mashed potatoes and stuffing. I was also put under during my surgery this morning, mainly because all 4 teeth were impacted. So it takes extra work for em' to get all 4 out.

This was also my first surgery ever, and my first time being exposed to general anesthetics. It was there weirdest thing, all I remember is lying there with the IV in my arm, then waking up. Pretty crazy stuff. Lots of pain meds too, but I'm avoiding the heavy narcotics unless it's absolutely necessary. But hey, it went much better than I expected, so I can't complain. I just miss being able to eating my favorite things.

6 minutes ago, Shiro said:

Pretty much have everything you mentioned there in the fridge at the moment besides the mashed potatoes and stuffing. I was also put under during my surgery this morning, mainly because all 4 teeth were impacted. So it takes extra work for em' to get all 4 out.

This was also my first surgery ever, and my first time being exposed to general anesthetics. It was there weirdest thing, all I remember is lying there with the IV in my arm, then waking up. Pretty crazy stuff. Lots of pain meds too, but I'm avoiding the heavy narcotics unless it's absolutely necessary. But hey, it went much better than I expected, so I can't complain. I just miss being able to eating my favorite things.

That is a freaky thing, being under a general anesthetic. When I came out, it was like I had lost a block of time, and couldn't figure out where I even was...oddly, they kept asking about the next appointment, and I was having a hard time even figuring out if I was awake, dreaming, or had died, and was in some weird afterlife. My folks drove me home. But glad it went well, and it'll heal faster than ya think, then you can tear into thick cuts of meat like a ferocious Tiger, again.

• Like 1

I've had a huge increase in them too. Apparently its a bit of an epidemic that has been escalating for some time now. I hate the giggly "Amy" one that tries to seem human the most.

18 minutes ago, Vae said:

I don't know who or what leaked my phone number to a bunch of spammy call center bullshit, but goddamn I get a shitload of blocked calls.

13 hours ago, Gator said:

being asked to come in on a day off and having the moral dilemma of whether or not to lie about being too busy

I just blocked their number, so they can't do that garbage. It's called a day off for a reason. If you wanted me to work, ya should have scheduled me.

The end of my thumb on my dominant hand has that kind of "not quite a blister, but the skin got irritated enough to flake off" thing going on,
and it's sore, and I hate having to keep using it for shit.

5 hours ago, Shiro said:

I just blocked their number, so they can't do that garbage. It's called a day off for a reason. If you wanted me to work, ya should have scheduled me.

i kind of agree; i need my days off.  i feel bad anyway sometimes, mostly for the people at work that i like who i know are gonna get shafted whenever they're short-staffed.  but shit, i had plans and stuff i need to do that i can't just toss at the last minute. 

edit: they also need to start holding the other maintenance guy accountable.  i'm there every day that i'm scheduled, usually for an extra hour, making sure my work is done before i leave.  he calls in constantly, steals stuff from the breakroom, and half-asses or straight up doesn't do whatever he thinks he can get away with.  if they're calling me in because he ain't pulling his weight, all the more reason not to go imo.

1 hour ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Discord is weird and I dislike it but I can't talk to @Gator any other way unless I want to blow up his phone

Ack. I never got discord to work properly. It defies all of my attempts at compatibility and demands far too much attention. Also, Uncledaddy would probably be a great person to talk to.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

I hate those too, despite the fact that I have ALL their numbers blocked, my phone decides to let them through anyway. I keep getting calls from a Beth regarding a personal matter.

Uh, oh! I hope it's not a 'who's the daddy?' situation! :V

• Like 1

Finally all my testing tasks are complete! Time to cut down that backlog of other tasks and oh-no they need me to interview a prospective new team member and it's prefectly backended against when my business counterpart will be out to lunch, creating a giant period of no-progress. What a surprise :V

On 3/14/2017 at 9:28 PM, Fossa-Boy said:

That is a freaky thing, being under a general anesthetic. When I came out, it was like I had lost a block of time, and couldn't figure out where I even was...oddly, they kept asking about the next appointment, and I was having a hard time even figuring out if I was awake, dreaming, or had died, and was in some weird afterlife. My folks drove me home. But glad it went well, and it'll heal faster than ya think, then you can tear into thick cuts of meat like a ferocious Tiger, again.

Same here. Two wisdom teeth were coming in with the crowns facing forward toward the rest of the teeth, and were partially exposed, the other ones were also crooked but hadn't come out yet. I was sitting in the chair, then suddenly I was done and they were taking me out. I guess that's what death is like. :(

• Like 2

The assumption that people from New Jersey speak with what I'd call a Brooklyn Italian accent. I grew up in Northern New Jersey, and we simply didn't talk like that. If anything, people from my hometown sound more like folks from parts of the Midwest or maybe parts of California. When we say talk, for instance, it's pronounced "tock" rather than "tawk". When we say Jersey, it's pronounced "jerzee" not "joyzee". Often is pronounced "offen" rather than "awften" etc. People who aren't from NJ are usually surprised when I mention where I'm from.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Brooklyn Italian accent, but it's simply wrong to consider that to be the definitive New Jersey accent. Where I'm from, the bland/boring/generic American accent is much more common.

• Like 1

Getting through an interview with a fine candidate who would bring skillsets our team lacks and I could learn a thing or two from, only to find out afterwards that he has several other companies making offers and is going to leave The Company if HR doesn't manage to make a decent counter-offer. Oh, bye-bye dude. Wish we could have worked together ;_;

9 hours ago, Xaende said:

The assumption that people from New Jersey speak with what I'd call a Brooklyn Italian accent.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Brooklyn Italian accent...

But I love that accent! I hate that there isn't a law, that forces people in NJ to talk that way, and to indoctrinate children in the classic Jersey Accent, at a young age :V

Related: I hate that I can't drive, 'cause I'd love to go to the pinball museum in Asbusy Park, NJ...

22 minutes ago, Shiro said:

People who lack compassion and understanding. In turn, acting indifferently towards others.

Or even acting in outward acrimony, seemingly for the sake of merely being tough, or running against whatever grain...at bottom, it strikes me as a bid for attention, an inverse statement of various insecurities.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shiro said:

People who lack compassion and understanding. In turn, acting indifferently towards others.

Especially if they find themselves in a position of power where they have the opportunity to inadvertently ruin people's lives.

• Like 1

Instructors cancelling a class, telling us they have provided make-up work, and failing to provide that make-up work.

5 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

How you can't say a semi unpopular opinion online without people making a huge deal about it. Politics these days are so fucked, it's "you vs me" and I hate it.

In ancient Athens you could say something unpopular, like that women deserve a vote or that the gods aren't so important, and get exiled. Women that had and used a little bit too much power in early colonial America were often accused of witchcraft and hanged, along with anybody that supported them. Civil Rights leaders kept guns in their homes, not least of all because they were sometimes bombed at home. Charles Sumner gave a speech against slavery and got beat in the Senate by another Senator. An immigrant, to this day, can get deported from the U.S. for being a member or a former member of certain world peace organizations.

Words are pretty weak retaliation for a political view, history considered.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

Sorry, I'll vote for Pedro instead

Little did you know that Pedro was on my payroll this entire time, and his inclusion was in name only.

Yes, of course, I respect your decision.