Refine the Forum Name?

ArielMT

Some of us think Peeko is in need of a proper name, and although there's no way I can speak unilaterally for staff (Carenath is the lone admin after all), I'm in the camp of folks who think "Phoenix Forums" is too generic for us.

So here's your place to sound off on the name.  Is "Phoenix Forums" perfect or okay, or does it need a better name?  If the latter, what should it be?

Let's toss those ideas out there.

Edited by ArielMT

PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO PEEKO

whoever came up with the name Peeko is some kind of genius

• Like 3

I wish I could remember, but it's our unofficial nickname now I guess because of the acronym the domain name shortens to: P.C.O.

it was actually me, i couldn't resist blowing my own trumpet, nomsayin. it basically went as me saying how I personnally pronounce the acronym and then Ley following up with a post pointing out that Peeko was also the name of Mr. Briney's Wingull in Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
Edited by Sir Gibby

What is in a name? Would a rose by any other name smell just as sweet?

Seriously though, both the name and our current location were intended to be pro tem while something more permanent was devised. I'll admit the name "Phoenix" I like so any incorporation of that would work for us but it is more accurate to say that we are Codename Phoenix as our goal was to rise the community from the ashes and allow it to continue living.

If something else is preferred it is entirely up to you guys, this falls right in line with defining a look-and-feel (read: anything but the default navy-white theme)

What is in a name? Would a rose by any other name smell just as sweet?

Seriously though, both the name and our current location were intended to be pro tem while something more permanent was devised. I'll admit the name "Phoenix" I like so any incorporation of that would work for us but it is more accurate to say that we are Codename Phoenix as our goal was to rise the community from the ashes and allow it to continue living.

If something else is preferred it is entirely up to you guys, this falls right in line with defining a look-and-feel (read: anything but the default navy-white theme)

Phoenix Corvidae Org feels like its just sticking, and sticking well

Peeko is best nickname

I still like Fafnix.
But I'm fine with Phoenix.

Adding onto that, shoving any furry-centric terms in there (anthro, fluffy, whatever) just makes us sound even more generic, or a board full of 12-year-olds.

....  No I don't think so. Phoenix forums sounds pretty generic I agree but how are we gonna get fresh blood to sign up if they just think it's a generic forum? Anthro is the least "furry" term you could use to describe what we are and do. 

II personally don't like the mentality that some people here have that wants us to pull some distance between us and the furry community... Despite most of us being furries ourselves and furries being our main source of traffic.

I gather there's a fear that we'll become essentially an exclusively furry site if we include furry words in the official name?

it's be nice to be hospitable to artists

but since any potential adminship is better than that complete retard who shall not be named, who knows?

maybe someday another new "mainsite" will kick up

....  No I don't think so. Phoenix forums sounds pretty generic I agree but how are we gonna get fresh blood to sign up if they just think it's a generic forum? Anthro is the least "furry" term you could use to describe what we are and do. 

II personally don't like the mentality that some people here have that wants us to pull some distance between us and the furry community... Despite most of us being furries ourselves and furries being our main source of traffic.

Yeah, as much as it might be cause for some cringe, as far as giving off a clear sense of what these forums are and who they cater for, you kind of need to make use of some of that tasty Furnacular huehuehue

But yeah, seriously as much as it might not be to the tastes of everybody, this is a forum that does cater to the Furry community. So throwing in even the term 'Fur' between Phoenix and Forums might be enough

Phoenix Fur Forums. Which also works on another level, with Fur replacing Fire, y'get me?

Edited by Sidhenearlahi

I gather there's a fear that we'll become essentially an exclusively furry site if we include furry words in the official name?

Just call it like "Phoenix Anthro Art Community" or something more catchy and not shit. Just add like a link to an about us thread/page in the announcements or something to explain what the fuck this forum even is.

we just have to stick our dicks into other furry sites

or we can just be secret club that brings people in by word of mouth

I actually had this humorous idea of buying ad space on FA to advertise the forums. :V

We should probably do something like that with other sites though. 

Furries from FA didn't kill FAF. I don't think there's a reason to worry about it. I do love the ring of Phoenix Anthro Forums. 

• Like 1

I also like Phoenixed Forums.
Just because we were brought down twice, but we came back from it, and we'll probably continue to do so, regardless of what FA does?
Kind of a multiple meanings thing.

It just comes across like "Fluffy Anthro-Fur Furrums X3" or something to me.
There are just... so many things in the fandom like that. Might as well just call them "Anthroboards."

A Phoenix is an animal, and the userbase here (as well as the fact that we have an entirely furry section) speak enough on us being pro-fur.
We don't need to cram it down their throats for them to get it.
Those that want to come will. Those that don't won't.

Also because furry terms make me want to violently hurl. But that's another story.

• Like 1

I actually had this humorous idea of buying ad space on FA to advertise the forums. :V

We should probably do something like that with other sites though. 

Furries from FA didn't kill FAF. I don't think there's a reason to worry about it. I do love the ring of Phoenix Anthro Forums. 

The thought of advertising the place on FA just sounds hilarious. I'm all for this.

• Like 2

I also like Phoenixed Forums.
Just because we were brought down twice, but we came back from it, and we'll probably continue to do so, regardless of what FA does?
Kind of a multiple meanings thing.

It just comes across like "Fluffy Anthro-Fur Furrums X3" or something to me.
There are just... so many things in the fandom like that. Might as well just call them "Anthroboards."

A Phoenix is an animal, and the userbase here (as well as the fact that we have an entirely furry section) speak enough on us being pro-fur.
We don't need to cram it down their throats for them to get it.
Those that want to come will. Those that don't won't.

Also because furry terms make me want to violently hurl. But that's another story.

I think "anthro" is pretty harmless.

It isn't like sofurry's old name - Yiffstar.... 

do it

DO IT

the tears would be delicious

IMVU accepts the ad money and Badmin has to suffer

The thought of advertising the place on FA just sounds hilarious. I'm all for this.

Someone else will have to fund it because I'm not a legal adult. :V Roll on October.... 

I think "anthro" is pretty harmless.

It isn't like sofurry's old name - Yiffstar.... 

Harmless, but it ups the generic factor, imo.

Plus, "Phoenix Forums" just rolls off the tongue way better than "Phoenix-Anthro Forums."
It also has a stronger, easier-to-remember feel to it.

i still maintain that the Furth Reich is best name

This is Amurrica, the land of the furree, and we don't allow that commie stuff here! :V

Let's get names and slogans down, then. :3

I don't know how a more specific name makes it more generic... 

"Anthro" is a very general, generic term in itself.
It also just kind of deflates the name. Makes it sound kind of awkward.

OnT: Peenix.

Edited by Vae
There it goes. Gtfo dragon Lud.
  • Like 1

HAve to admit that FINDING this forum was REALLY frakking hard since I didn't know what the name was before (like seriously there were 5 different searches before I found it)

Phoenixed might be fun (and might make it easier to find)

But yes Advertise on FA please that would make me giggle so hard.

"Anthro" is a very general, generic term in itself.It also just kind of deflates the name. Makes it sound kind of awkward.

OnT: Peenix.

Problem with just plain Phoenix is that it's so generic it could be misconstrued for so many different things than just straight up calling it a forum for Anthro peeps would.

Like, Phoenix Forums? Cool, I loved Tenacious D's last album! Or maybe it's a fangroup for the popular X-Men character? Naw wait it's obviously just straight-up a forum for people who really like those inflamed resurrection pigeons, and perhaps other fantasy creatures as well.

Anthro may be generic, but at least it can't be misconstrued for several other things like the ultimately FAR more generic term that is Phoenix.

And heck we can still just refer to the forums colloquially as the Phoenix forums, just throw an Anthro or a Fur in there. Or maybe better yet, call it Phoenix Forums, with the subtitle of "Anthro community" or what have you.

Problem with just plain Phoenix is that it's so generic it could be misconstrued for so many different things than just straight up calling it a forum for Anthro peeps would.
Like, Phoenix Forums? Cool, I loved Tenacious D's last album! Or maybe it's a fangroup for the popular X-Men character? Naw wait it's obviously just straight-up a forum for people who really like those inflamed resurrection pigeons, and perhaps other fantasy creatures as well.

Anthro may be generic, but at least it can't be misconstrued for several other things like the ultimately FAR more generic term that is Phoenix.

And heck we can still just refer to the forums colloquially as the Phoenix forums, just throw an Anthro or a Fur in there. Or maybe better yet, call it Phoenix Forums, with the subtitle of "Anthro community" or what have you.

That's why I suggested the -ed suffix. Sets it apart from the base word. Turns it into an action.

Hell, even utilizing a bit of smart application of text to, for instance, an advertisement fixes the issue without altering names.
"An anthro community." Short, gets to the point, should fit in the ad if they actually decide to grab adspace.

This is also following the assumption that people, as a whole, are so painfully unobservant that an entire section labeled "Furry Fandom Discussion" on the front page would still invite misconceptions like "Hey you guys mean like X-Men right?"

Edited by Vae