Youtube Has An Achievement System Now

Socketosis

YouTube has an excellent history of

• responding appropriately to obviously false DMCA takedown notices,
  • responding appropriately to producers of YouTube content who first have their copyrighted content unlawfully appropriated by corporations, then have their original content taken down for violating the corporation's copyright on it,
  • nurturing and fostering a well-educated commenting community, and
  • promoting video engagement through denial of ad revenue for uploading videos of controversial topics.

I don't see how this new YouTube Heroes thing could possibly go awry.

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, Sylver said:

It's sad when kids with autism understand people better than grown adults who run companies.

Look at that community support:

Screenshot_12.png

one might even say that the heroes are already among us

BOeD995.png

also one of the benefits is "talk to youtube staff directly"

scuse me, youtube has actual people working for it? with how nothing ever changes other than the layout, i just figured that graphic designers occasionally hacked an unmanned site.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Vae said:

What happens if you flag yourself?
Are you an anti-hero?
Are you a well-intentioned villain?
What the fuck do you become?

You create a rift in the time-space continuum and erase yourself from existence.

Or you just become some fat nerd on the internet going on an exceptionally stupid power trip because your life is so pathetic, that the only way you can feel even remotely in-control of your life is by reading and reporting mind-numbingly retarded arguments in the comment section of a video called "EPIC MEME COMPILATION #69!!! LOL!!!"

probably the first one tbh

• Like 1

True heroes do things altruistically. Earning points would make you nothing but a mercenary. 

At least you need to enlist to become a "YouTube hero" so your YT behavioral history is probably checked but yes, I could definitely see scoundrels passing, abusing the system for achievos and putting on a huge strain on the real moderators and admins who will sort through all the bullshit or worse yet, mindlessly click the remove button, which wouldn't surprise me at all given YT history with copyright claims. Don't forget that "heroes" also have an access to completely troll the subtitles and captions of a video. All this is why law and justice system in place should not revolve around reward. 

I just hope the unfathomable won't happen. The moment when YT heroes rolls out for everyone. That's just a suicidical move given how "helpful" and "friendly" YT community is. :V

But there is a funny side to all of this too. YT is marketing all this hero crap as an opportunity to "ascend" and what do you get in return? Internet points,  some useless features like needless video calls or an ability to contact YT real staff that are probably too busy sorting through all the false flag reports or having an existential crisis due to being overburdened. We'll see how exclusive workshops and preview of beta features will turn out to be but I don't have high hopes for them

All in all, this reminds me of how USSR turned out (Hint: it collapsed). In USSR, there was KGB, the secret police. KGB arrested anyone with a dissenting opinion or who defied censorship. Most of the arrestings were due to ordinary citizens turning in the dissenting people. And the people who turned in other people even got rewarded by KGB. Some even went as far as turning in their relatives and family members under false presumption. Everyone was wary, nothing (figuratively) of radical or creative was said because everyone was afraid KGB is listening to them or someone would turn them in. 

Vigilantism will not work. Get some more real staff instead. 

• Like 1

Guys youtube fucked themselves up.

They say youtube heroes is there too to handle trolls but seriously, we all know trolls will use this feature to do crap with it and also the mass flagging could be used by sjws .

Youtube is so dumb it could deserve a darwin award.

12 hours ago, Recel said:

I don't see an issue. YouTube is basically a platform for entertainment, and drama is a form of entertainment. So drama belongs on YouTube! :P

Keemstar gnome

I signed up to be one under the name of "Riften Guard".

Finally, I can live my dream of being a corrupt guard getting paid under the table from the thieves guild!

18 hours ago, ArielMT said:

Nothing says it better than, on an official YouTube video, "Comments are disabled for this video."

Probably because they do not want users to spam DICKS OUT FOR HARAMBE 2016.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hux said:

I miss classic YouTube.

Instead we have this advertisement INFESTED fiasco where half of the videos on my feed are clickbaits and comment section is usually toxic or full of stupid memes like "The last time I was this early..."

The sad thing the corruption is spreading to other sites too...

What will internet become? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snagged Cub said:

Instead we have this advertisement INFESTED fiasco where half of the videos on my feed are clickbaits and comment section is usually toxic or full of stupid memes like "The last time I was this early..."

The sad thing the corruption is spreading to other sites too...

What will internet become? 

I'm in that weird part of Youtube!... For the thousandth time!

[Popular Youtuber] brought me here!
... me too!
... same!
... same!
... [Popular Youtuber] is win xD

I liked the part at [end of video]
... lawl
... so funny
... damn you!

• Like 2

On 9/21/2016 at 9:57 PM, Pignog said:

it's a good thing our knowledge of operant conditioning and learning is training the next generation to report videos of luigi farting for 10hrs straight, im glad

Had to see if this actually existed. Didn't find it, but did come across this:

• Like 1