Profile Information: Does anyone fill this out?

Fossa

When I joined, I recall taking the longest time just to figure out what to say in my profile information. And then longer to start posting, and make an intro post.

So I was browsing about, and and noted nobody puts anything there, which seemed odd. I guess a lot of people already knew each other, so I can see that. Though it has made it hard to see who you might have more in common with; mainly, I have just followed posts, but sometimes, it is nice to see what a person has to say.

So does anyone else fill this out? I think I might be the only one!

Well part of the problem is that it doesn't always show what you put in, and the other part is some of us (like me) don't really go looking at profiles unless we have a reason to, and won't ever see it anyway.

I usually just fill my forum 'about me' pages with fox noises, because what else would I put in them?

Dog noises?

heresy

Huh. I guess I'm just curious, to see who I might have stuff in common with. And sometimes, I might check, because there's still furs here I have no idea what gender they are. I mean, it's no big deal, as I have a mate, but I feel awkward asking! And on many forums, they seem like a way people reach out to each other. 

So that's weird...it doesn't show what you put in?

No huge deal, though it's odd how much I pondered what I should say, and then, come to find out, nobody says anything! At least there's an irony, and I am very fond of irony. ; )

Well this prompted me to see how the "about me" part of the profile actually worked. Which then left me perplexed because, after editing even my own profile, it didn't show up anywhere conspicuous. I guess I should instead poke it with a stick when it's brighter outside and I'm less entirely asleep.

It seems like an unfortunate limitation of the current forum software/settings. I guess an intro post can accomplish the same thing initially, but its permanence is limited. If you want to interact more with users here, I would strongly recommend joining the main Discord chat as well, since a lot of people hang out there. I must say, I find you to be a valued addition to these forums, and I enjoy seeing your perspective here.

EDIT: Oh, finally noticed where it ended up in my own profile. That is remarkably pointless and obscure.

• Like 3

I've filled out my "about me" section in profile. Never see it in other people's profiles though so I dont bother looking in peoples profiles anymore generally.. This is all I see when I click your profile.

Yd8x1lf.png

Doesn't show any information like the about me stuff I assume you're talking about. So forums bugged or I'm just too stupid to use it V:

Could be either.

• Like 1

@GarthTheWereWolf@Onnes@LadyRadarEars

Thanks for pointing all this out! So it looks like it's a bug in the system, since nobody can see mine; it's not that I elected to hide it, as I recall. (Though I'll have to check and see) 

Was gonna post about this for the longest time, outta idle curiosity. It might be good for new members, especially, getting to know their way around. 

I used to have bios and whatnot on my profile pages for Steam and whatever forums I was using at the time, but I found that it is really more information than the random internet person needs to know. Now I don't even try.

So my profile on here just has the lyrics to the song "Powercore" by Nekrogoblikon. Goblin metal FTW.

• Like 2

I made a brief description about my personality and interests (as if this site was a dating site) when I joined but since the profile description is in so obscure place I haven't even bothered to update it

I agree, it's pointless

• Like 1

Someone's pre-fabricated autobiography and inconsequential garbage (like their favorite band and color) are going to tell you much less about your social compatibility than just talking to them like a normal human being.

This is a forum community, with a strong chat community tacked on.
Literally all we do is talking.
I don't see why filling out a profile is of any priority.

• Like 1

I never thought about it too much, but I just spent a while trying to find the about me page and I seriously cannot. Can someone enlighten me? :o

I just put a little one-sentence thing there for myself anyway, I didn't think folks would read it even if it was easily accessible.

2 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

Lol no. Nobody reads or utilizes that information anyway. Same reason I don't put any bios on Tumblr or Twitter headers and whatnot. Who cares?

Twitter actually puts the bios in a pretty noticeable place, so it's kinda sorta worthwhile to put at least some stuff in there.

• Like 1