Things That You Don't Understand!

FenrirDarkWolf

54 minutes ago, Gator said:

but gender roles and perceptions are not gender.  a lot of the conversations i've seen have made no distinction between the two... but, well, you can't be born with a social construct.

As far as policy is concerned (since Price Waterhouse v Hopkins), gender is a social construct. Not a construct per se, but a construct because it doesn't necessarily depend on sex and must rely on external factors as well. Sex, in that case, would be confined only to phsyical structures- both the primary and secondary charicteristics and more subtle differences which are less likely to be noticed. That reasoning would make the parts which you are born with or resulting from what you are born with (such as a feeling of what it is to be male or female, if you have that) would be lumped into "sex", and differences learned later, such as what maleness or femaleness means, would be lumped into gender.

Fun Fact: The US doesn't actually have sexual harrassment laws, only sexual discrimination laws. The idea that harrasment was a form of discrimination just happened and people ran with it.
Fun Fact: The idea that dudes could be sexually harrassed occurred 30 years later when a crazy pizza lady kept molesting people. Before then it was assumed they would enjoy it.
Fun Fact: the idea that gay dudes could be sexually harrassed occurred an additional 3 years after that, when a rig crew kept trying to rape a guy with a wrench. Before then it was assumed they would enjoy it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jtrekkie said:

As far as policy is concerned (since Price Waterhouse v Hopkins), gender is a social construct. Not a construct per se, but a construct because it doesn't necessarily depend on sex and must rely on external factors as well. Sex, in that case, would be confined only to phsyical structures- both the primary and secondary charicteristics and more subtle differences which are less likely to be noticed. That reasoning would make the parts which you are born with or resulting from what you are born with (such as a feeling of what it is to be male or female, if you have that) would be lumped into "sex", and differences learned later, such as what maleness or femaleness means, would be lumped into gender.

Fun Fact: The US doesn't actually have sexual harrassment laws, only sexual discrimination laws. The idea that harrasment was a form of discrimination just happened and people ran with it.
Fun Fact: The idea that dudes could be sexually harrassed occurred 30 years later when a crazy pizza lady kept molesting people. Before then it was assumed they would enjoy it.
Fun Fact: the idea that gay dudes could be sexually harrassed occurred an additional 3 years after that, when a rig crew kept trying to rape a guy with a wrench. Before then it was assumed they would enjoy it.

good lord though

worst part is, i have encountered people who do not believe men can be sexually harassed

isn't "gender" just your mind/body recognizing your sex?  in which case, it would be biological even if not outwardly visible, and therefore not purely social--which would make sense to me, considering the fact that social roles don't seem to impact or change most people's gender identities.  and if an innate sense of what sex you are meant to be is just a part of your sex, does two aspects of your biological "sex" being at odds make you technically intersex? 

if "gender" is nothing but social "gender roles", though, that would mean "transgender" is a choice made by people who just happen to enjoy another sex's gender roles, and basically anyone can do it or stop doing it at any time.  and if i ask some people, that's exactly how it works.  but others disagree.

mysteries of science

edit: maybe i should just make a thread about this.. you know, for science.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gator said:

-snip-

It really is confusing, and I think people who rely on embraced social roles alone arent totally transgender if they dont feel a disconnect with their physical self, because being a masculine/butch woman doesnt mean you are a man or a effeminate/flanboyant male doesnt mean youre a woman, thats a question probably everyone needs to ask at some point

That said though, social roles do negatively affect trans people, as theyre often subjected to appearing or acting as what other people want from birth, so once most trans people become self aware they start to embrace and reject aspects of social roles that fit and dont fit, most of which to blend on another spectrum of society; i.e, I know transmen who like the color blue and dislike pink even if its totally arbitrary anyways, trans women who apply makeup to appear more feminine although females wearing makeup isnt all necessary.

I think the reason they apply "gender as a social construct" is if you cant see someones genitals (as is normal with basic interaction with strangers) and their secondary sex traits are androgynous, then you can only see what they present as based on traits we apply to gender (if you place a bow on a dogs ear, its a girl, on a dogs neck, its a boy).

I agree that there really isnt a lot of sense or rationality sometimes, whether someone is "really" trans or not is a matter of Poe's law, I suppose, and is more a sense of self discovery on their part. In that case its best to let it be unless theyre tumblrinas who demand complete strangers call them a man or woman when they do nothing physically or even socially to appear as such

• Like 3

Why some of the engineering classrooms I go in have posters pertaining to these long obsolete " (so hardly anyone will find them today) "tropical fish" capacitors that are only of interest to those into vintage auto things and old guitar amps.

DSC09348.jpg

On the plus side they sell quite well due to the vintage sound they make, and they look like candy. 

• Like 2

Why the college had to give us a teacher (who I found is a supply (i.e temporary) one) who is freshly out from university to teach my class engineering related maths when there are many good maths teachers in the college already who teach the subject at A-level.

For those wondering this stuff here is what said teacher is doing a awful job teaching, at least I can understand some of it, I get asked by those in the class who don't for help sometimes.

It seems the higher ups care orders of magnitudes more about the A-level people getting C-A* grade than the vocational people getting D*D*D*

I am sorry to this forum if it is sick of me complaining about this but my education hangs on this so much it is leaving me stressed, which makes it hard to work on other units or draw anthro weasels among other things.

Last month I submitted two papers. one of them argued for the hunting of whales on a large scale (for various reasons.) The other, in passing, argued for the use of artificially enhanced grains in impoverished areas, instead of insisting a devotion to being "organic."

One of these papers was praised for cleverness, the other accused, nicely, the author of raping the earth as well as the human body.

I no longer understand the environmental movement . 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jtrekkie said:

Last month I submitted two papers. one of them argued for the hunting of whales on a large scale (for various reasons.) The other, in passing, argued for the use of artificially enhanced grains in impoverished areas, instead of insisting a devotion to being "organic."

One of these papers was praised for cleverness, the other accused, nicely, the author of raping the earth as well as the human body.

I no longer understand the environmental movement . 

why do you even have to take environmental classes if you're an electrical engineering student .-.

8 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

why do you even have to take environmental classes if you're an electrical engineering student .-.

Well, these days the Liberal Arts are heavy in humanities trying to be practical. Anyway, you need to be familiarized with a lot of fields to be an effective citizen.

• Like 1

@Vae I think since it's easier to be liked, some feel they'll be accepted all the more quicker (which is generally what a lot of people aim for). Whereas being respected takes quite some effort to achieve and in some cases is even intimidating.

There are also those (like myself) who think that being liked & being respected are not so different. Almost - if not everyone - I like is treated with respect. It works the other way around too. 

@Vae and @Moogle Then again, with like and respect, one could be liked and/or respected, but for reasons that were not those that I would want respected: For instance, people who support racism are respected by racists, earning this respect via deeds and words. Thus, is respect a quality of any merit in and of itself? The most cruel, ruthless sort might be respected, and respect seems like a cultural construct, such that in and of itself, I'm not certain it holds any particular value. Well, just some abstract thoughts!

12 hours ago, Moogle said:

@Vae I think since it's easier to be liked, some feel they'll be accepted all the more quicker (which is generally what a lot of people aim for). Whereas being respected takes quite some effort to achieve and in some cases is even intimidating.

There are also those (like myself) who think that being liked & being respected are not so different. Almost - if not everyone - I like is treated with respect. It works the other way around too. 

You can respect someone you dislike or have no particular emotional attachments to, though. You can still respect that they do.

I'm largely disregarding respect due to sentiment in that instance, because people are naturally going to have their own emotional biases and all that, but it's not really what I'm referring to. I feel like that still falls more on the "liked" end of the spectrum than the "respected."

11 hours ago, Fossa-Boy said:

@Vae and @Moogle Then again, with like and respect, one could be liked and/or respected, but for reasons that were not those that I would want respected: For instance, people who support racism are respected by racists, earning this respect via deeds and words. Thus, is respect a quality of any merit in and of itself? The most cruel, ruthless sort might be respected, and respect seems like a cultural construct, such that in and of itself, I'm not certain it holds any particular value. Well, just some abstract thoughts!

If you're comparing them on that measure alone, that could apply to both and anything, for that matter
Someone could equally be liked on the grounds of their atrocities if that's what lines up with someone else's values and personal appeal.

I'm just talking about the two concepts versus each other.

4 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Why every meaningful connection I make in life seems to wither away within 6 to 18 months.

Oh, this makes me sad to hear! You seem so well rounded, smart, funny and charming! Well, you have me as a friend, even if just on the interwebs. And if I wasn't involved, and had boobs, I'd wanna ask ya out!

• Like 2

On 10/30/2016 at 6:10 PM, Hux said:

Magnets. How do they work?

fam

It's a complicated quantum effect of electrons, and there is no classical analog for what happens. It results from the election's "spin" and the Pauli exclusion principle. (The exclusion principle just means that no two particles like electrons with the same spin can occupy the same position.) Anyway, the most common form of magnetism you see is called ferromagnetism. Materials that show a high degree of that kind of magnetism, iron for instance, have "domains" throughout with a net magnetic moment. When those domains are aligned, or nearly aligned, their forces add together. otherwise, they are scattered and cancel eachother out. That's why iron is not always magnetic. Permanent magnets usually have impurities added to prevent those domains from moving once the material is magnetized, but the application of heat will allow them to scatter.

Most materials are non-magnetic because the Pauli exclusion principle means their electrons cancel each other out; for each shell in the atom there is an electron with an up spin for every electron with a down spin. So the only way to get a net magnetic moment is if you have an unfilled shell. Iron is configured that way, and is full of shared electrons only loosely bound to their atoms. (That's also why iron is ductile and conductive.)

But if you actually add all the contributions from every electron, it won't be as powerful as what you actually measure in a magnet. That's because of another effect of the Pauli Exclusion Principle, exchange, and that electrons with the same spin are more likely to be exchanged than electrons with different spins.

For electromagnets it's really just two electrons exchanging a photon.

Everything I wrote is somewhere between subtly wrong and flat out incorrect. So there's that.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Vae said:

You can respect someone you dislike or have no particular emotional attachments to, though. You can still respect that they do.

Dr. House is respected and renowned doctor but his colleagues but his colleagues really dislike him

Aside from dislikeable professionals like Dr. House, I only have tolerance for people who I really dislike or feel uncomfortable with. Tolerance is what I'd say defines a certain degree of respect we're looking for

15 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Why school k-12 is free for learning the basic knowledge but school higher than that for gaining knowledge suitable for the workforce isnt

It is because primary/secondary education evolved separately from higher education. Free primary/secondary education in the U.S. came about in the U.S. after the rise of the factory model school and the rejection of nonstandard private academies. Costly college/university education in the U.S. came about in the U.S. after the rise of private and research focused education and the rejection of clergy and civil servant focused education.

One can largely replace 'U.S.' with any country in those statements and stay mostly to the truth.

I don't understand why the U.S. is being so slow to adjust to changes similar to the ones that brought about these systems in the first place.

• Like 2

Why dark, cold weather makes me feel so much better than hot and sunny bullshit.

On 11/1/2016 at 2:54 AM, FenrirDarkWolf said:

tumblr_inline_o3lgfnbNj31slr54n_1280.jpg

I don't understand why your neck is song long in this picture, is the booty you're looking at so good you need to break your neck for it

WikiHow to get a friendly human to fix a herniated disc in your neck.

• Like 5

On 11/3/2016 at 5:01 PM, Xaende said:

I've never understood the appeal of reality TV.

Same here...it all feels so scripted, phony and unlike the reality anyone I know lives in. And also shallow: It has the potential to be an interesting genre, yet just skims along the surface in cookie-cutter fashion, with no real depth, feeling or meaning, leaving you feeling numb, drained, and as if your intelligence has been insulted---or even assaulted.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Strongbob said:

Why is it so dark outside!   It wasn't this dark yesterday evening!  Thanks Obama.  

Because daily savings time has ended, it is now an hour earlier before. What would before be 8 PM would now be 7 PM. Our clocks changed, but the sun didn't.

5 hours ago, LazerMaster5 said:

Because daily savings time has ended, it is now an hour earlier before. What would before be 8 PM would now be 7 PM. Our clocks changed, but the sun didn't.

Impossible!  The sun has been stolen from the sky!  This is Obama bringing about the dark times just as the profit Sean Hannity (peace be upon him) has foretold. Repent ye sinners and despair!

2 hours ago, Faust said:

Don't worry, citizen, that's just the first section of Donald Trump's 'Sun Fence' going into place in orbit, to prevent global warming by stopping illegally immigrating solar radiation.

But I thought he didn't believe in global warming.