Gender indicators

Ayattar

We need (mandatory?) gender indicators in the profiles. Simple male/female/other (so he/she/they by default), which can be depicted by the icons under/near the nicknames/avatars
People's nicknames aren't all gender-specific, and avatars can be decieving as well. We have enough users to not being able to remember everyone, and using incorrect pronouns is making me (and I assume others as well) uncomfortable.

Please consider.

Edited by Ayattar
  • Like 1

I'm seeing a problem with this. What if being forced to specify makes someone uncomfortable? 

Then you're free to use "other". Or "unspecified" if you're fine with people refering to you as "it".

I can't see how defining own gender could make anyone uncomfortable. How?

And for now there is no option to specify gender at all.

Edited by Ayattar

Well, that would be incorrect. I'm a dude, not an other. :V

So you said it out loud. You're a dude. So what's the problem in stating in your profile that you're male?
Feeling like ERPing as a female from time to time, or what?

Edited by Ayattar

Gender tags (and similar) aren't a factual indication of the actual gender of the avatar.  There's nothing from preventing me from registering a gender opposite to my own.  Or a location other than my own for that matter.  They are fiat constructs.

Gender tags (and similar) aren't a factual indication of the actual gender of the avatar.  There's nothing from preventing me from registering a gender opposite to my own.  Or a location other than my own for that matter.  They are fiat constructs.

Gender stated in the profile informs other people what pronouns should they use whilst refering to you. I don't understand your point.

Then you're free to use 'other'. I don't see how defining own gender could make anyone uncomfortable. How?

And for now there is no option to specify gender at all.

Gender is not a binary, and lumping everything but the two most common into a pile of "other" is a bigger problem than not having one worn as essentially a badge.

Gender is not a binary, and lumping everything but the two most common into a pile of "other" is a bigger problem than not having one worn as essentially a badge.

Okay. Then please don't ban me when I start refering to everyone as he/his/him. After all, how could I know?

And yes. Gender in the pronouns IS binary. Male, female. The end. And neutral, or I should rather say, unspecified "they"

It can be a problem only in the furry fandom -,-'

Edited by Ayattar

Gender stated in the profile informs other people what pronouns should they use whilst refering to you. I don't understand your point.

The point is, a gender tag only informs you of the proper pronouns to be used, if the gender tag is correct.  And 50-60% of the time, it wont be.

The point is, a gender tag only informs you of the proper pronouns to be used, if the gender tag is correct.  And 50-60% of the time, it wont be.

And in that case it's not my problem. If someone doesn't like the pronouns that are being used whilst refering to them, they're free to change it.

• Like 1

Okay. Then please don't ban me when I start refering to everyone as he/his/him. After all, how could I know?

And it can be a problem only in the furry fandom -,-'

Consider this:  Do you intentionally misgender a person in a face-to-face meeting or in a phone call after discovering that you accidentally misgendered that person?  Most people would politely correct you, and most people when corrected would adopt that correction and carry on.  Online is little different if at all.

Online is little different if at all.

How? You state the pronoun that you want to be used whilst refering to you in your profile in a visible place and it's concluded.

As far as I know, pronouns other than he/she/they and their derivatives don't exist.

And I honestly can't imagine memorising 400 internet people.

Edited by Ayattar

And in that case it's not my problem. If someone doesn't like the pronouns that are being used whilst refering to them, they're free to change it.

Or ask a risk mitigation strategy, you could just avoid the whole damn mes by not having gender tags.   KISS, eh?

• Like 1

Or ask a risk mitigation strategy, you could just avoid the whole damn mes by not having gender tags.   KISS, eh?

Are you implying that people would be using incorrect indicators, ie. different from how they feel, on purpose? Why?

I'd rather avoid said "mess" by avoiding unnecessary correcting.

Can't really see how knowing someone's gender or not makes a difference unless you're addressing them as a friend... in said scenario you'd know their gender already.

Makes a big diffeence in using he/her/they pronouns by avoiding confusion.

Edited by Ayattar

How? You state the pronoun that you want to be used whilst refering to you in your profile in a visible place and it's concluded.

As far as I know, pronouns other than he/she/they and their derivatives don't exist.

And I honestly can't imagine memorising 400 internet people.

If you meant a freeform indicator, not a "choose one of the following" indicator as you initially stated, then I see your point, and I could support such a thing, as an entirely optional thing.

Also, you already memorize both gendered and genderless titles for hundreds of people in thousands of interactions in your life already.  Pretend animal people on the Internet can't really be any harder.

If you meant a freeform indicator, not a "choose one of the following" indicator as you initially stated, then I see your point, and I could support such a thing, as an entirely optional thing.

Then make it like that.

Just without ridiculous "potatoself" and "ver, vae, xis" stuff.

You could even call it "preffered pronoun"

Edited by Ayattar

This seems like a problem that isn't a problem that it would be best addressed by doing nothing. O.o

Pretty much. It's not a problem now, nor do I see it being a problem. If you're confused, ask. If people are offended, then that's their issue. I have yet to encounter anyone who gets offended when asked what pronouns to use. And if you use the wrong one and they point it out, there's a magical five letter word that will make the situation better; "Sorry".

• Like 2

This is a fine idea as an optional feature, but making them mandatory isn't. It's not going to make identifying a user's gender any easier since the undecided/other options would exist, meaning you'd probably have a good portion of users willingly opting out of identifying themselves, unless you make it mandatory, which is stupid and would never work.

Optional feature, yeah. Mandatory feature, no.

• Like 1

So much contrariness.

I think that before I had to register with a gender, but it wasn't used for anything? That's used on a lot of sites where you have the option of male, female, other, don't show. 

Obviously there is no concensus. How about this: when you don't know the sex of an animal you refer to it as "it". Since these are all animal people, you all default to it. It adds to the furry experience. 

Personhood us achieved by making friends and not being a jerk.

• Like 1

Are you implying that people would be using incorrect indicators, ie. different from how they feel, on purpose? Why?

Because furries.

I'd rather avoid said "mess" by avoiding unnecessary correcting.

If you arbitrarily select male, you're guaranteed to be correct between 33-50% of the time. I'd buy a ticket on that lottery.

So much contrariness.

I think that before I had to register with a gender, but it wasn't used for anything? That's used on a lot of sites where you have the option of male, female, other, don't show. 

Obviously there is no concensus. How about this: when you don't know the sex of an animal you refer to it as "it". Since these are all animal people, you all default to it. It adds to the furry experience. 

Personhood us achieved by making friends and not being a jerk.

Well, when you don't know the sex of a person, you refer to them as "they". How about we meet halfway and settle on "thit"? or "tit"?

Well, when you don't know the sex of a person, you refer to them as "they". How about we meet halfway and settle on "thit"? or "tit"?

Yeah I was gonna say, from a gender-neutral position, a lot of people don't like being referred to by "it". Just use "they" if you aren't sure of gender.

• Like 1

I don't correct people when I'm misgendered, I don't see the point. It doesn't hurt me any, but then again, I feel no gender dysphoria or anything like that. I just don't particularly care, unless someone's being obnoxious about it. 

I thought I was completely alone in this.

I correct people if they get my gender wrong but I don't get upset about it. If they keep misgendering me after I've corrected them though, THEN I'll get pissed.

You're like most people.

There's literally no point in adding a feature like this

I disagree only on the literal part.  I see a use, but no more than a trivial use.

• Like 1

I've just stopped pronouns altogether and taken to referring to people as individuals

has the double benefit of not being able to get pronouns wrong so no one gets offended/causes awkward situations and also I don't have to remember anyone's gender because idgaf about gender~

• Like 1

To be fair I'm entirely on board with identifying every female member of the board. Otherwise, how will I know who to be (even more) condescending with, whose opinions to immediately disregard, and who to needlessly consider their postcount to be 0.75 times the amount of everyone else? 

• Like 2

Nice tumblr you made out of it.

You know your jimmies are rustled when you wish for a mandatory gender indicator on profiles, but putting the blame on nicknames and avatars? It's pretty adorable how much it really matters to you. ;)

I understand. I shouldn't expect westerners to actually understand written text. Should be pretty obvious to everyone that "(mandatory?)" is a proposition inside of a proposition.

And yes, it does.

I've just stopped pronouns altogether and taken to referring to people as individuals

has the double benefit of not being able to get pronouns wrong so no one gets offended/causes awkward situations and also I don't have to remember anyone's gender because idgaf about gender~

Then I understand that every time you need to point at someone, instead of saying he/she/they, you're using full name? Adorable.

Then I understand that every time you need to point at someone, instead of saying he/she/they, you're using full name? Adorable.

using pronouns saves you using like four syllables at best, wow what a massive inconvenience to have call a person by their name my time is fucking precious I have furry forums I need to be posting on