Those toys you were so jazzed for, but never got

Ginpanther

I always either wanted more Lego or more video games. One thing I remember begging and begging for was this huge Lego train set costing like $240 Aud, I don't blame her not buying me it. I had a lot of Lego. Stuff passed down from Dad, her brothers and more than enough that I built up over the years. But you can never have enough Lego right?

Nope, I got a ton of it, myself. Totally digging the architectural series. I've got a Lego Guggenheim and Lego Fallbrook.

It's always a satisfying when you get more to add to the collection. Even more satisfying when you finish building something grand!

I'm still regretting giving all my Lego to my younger brother. Maybe I'll be able to get it back in a couple years. xD

still waiting for that bad dragon toy, but christmas is near...

in seriousness, probablyyyyy tomogatchi. i was obsessed with things like that and i really wish i had gotten one.

As soon as I read the thread title, I thought, "POO-CHI."

tumblr_lickq2sIvI1qi6yrno1_500.jpg

I LOVED THAT THING! i had such a stark curiosity for robots as a child as well as animals and this was something i had with me like all the time. it never ceased to amuse me.

Edited by evan

I was more a fan of T-Rex, the Dino-Chi

$_1.JPG

That guy's cool-looking! I forgot those were a thing. I only remember smaller versions of them being McDonald's toys at some point. Good thing I wasn't as aware of this one, I would have wanted it too, haha!

If I had known about Aibo as a kid, I'm sure I would have wanted that as well.

Aibo.jpg

• Like 1

I always wanted an RC car, or airplane, or any vehicle that was remote controlled. My parents were always complaining about how I rarely went outside, an RC airplane can't be flown indoors, you fools!

To be fair, those things probably cost the modern equivalent of a thousand dollars back in the 1990's, what do I know?

I really wanted a skateboard when I was in grade/middle school but I never got one. all because I bought this guide to skateboarding at a book fair one year. 

I got the deck that I had been saving up for one year for Christmas but I didn't complete the board until a few years ago lol

As soon as I read the thread title, I thought, "POO-CHI."

tumblr_lickq2sIvI1qi6yrno1_500.jpg

I had a Poo-chi. I also had the cat

For me it was those gooey aliens in the goo. One time they were being sold somewhere my family and I were, but nobody had any change to get one, and I was so upset. They were literally not in the stores for so long after that. I see them sometimes being sold in The Works, but for all that I wanted some as a kid, every time I see them now, I'm like "I'll get them next time I'm here".

I never begged, but there was stuff I know I wanted. Nerf guns got more and more badass from middle school and even today. In fact, they're even more kickass today. But I wanted this something fierce.

2834968.jpg 

And then Legos... Specifically Star Wars

913pEpQwYjL._SL1500_.jpg

10174.jpg6211-1.jpg

I was more a fan of T-Rex, the Dino-Chi

$_1.JPG

I had like 4 of these fuckers. The cat, him, parrot, and dog. Robot animals are the shit.

For me it was those gooey aliens in the goo. One time they were being sold somewhere my family and I were, but nobody had any change to get one, and I was so upset. They were literally not in the stores for so long after that. I see them sometimes being sold in The Works, but for all that I wanted some as a kid, every time I see them now, I'm like "I'll get them next time I'm here".

I remember those. Everyone was so disappointed when they didn't come alive and hatch in the year 2000.

first it was

elefun31.jpg

then it was

r4586z_mongoose_26_tech_4_mens_bike.jpg

i eventually got a bike, but it wasn't the same type or color as the one i really wanted.  it was smaller, simpler, and... girlier.  my little sister ended up getting an elefun (by then, i was too old to play with it, of course... i played with it anyway)

• Like 1

I wanted a Sega 32X when I saw it at Blockbuster. It's probably for the best that I didn't get one. Wanted a Sega Saturn, too. Same for that :P

I do remember there were things I wanted and didn't get, but I don't remember what they were so I guess they weren't that important.

I do remember there were things I wanted and didn't get, but I don't remember what they were so I guess they weren't that important.

This is probably my case as well. I'm sure there were lots of silly little things I wanted but never got, I just can't remember them.

I do remember wanting a Gameboy Color though, because my brother got one as a gift from our dad. I asked my dad if I could get one too, and he told me no. :c
So, I saved up my own money to get it myself. By the time I had enough, the GameBoy Advance was out, and I got that instead. Woo!

...Then my brother got an Advance as a birthday gift. :I

• Like 1

B001DI4VN0-1-lg.jpg

That's right! When I was little, I wanted an Easy Bake Oven so I could make snacks for myself all day! My Uncle and Granddad wouldn't get it for me though since they classified that as a girl's toy

My parents actually got my brother and I one, huehuehue.
...We hardly used it :I

Since when was wanting to eat tasty treats a gendered thing, anyway? :v

• Like 1

I think I got most of the random stuff I wanted, except if it was just too obscure to find. Also some stuff I had barely even heard of, like a microscope. At some point though I started to realize that physical toys were pretty boring and limited compared to what I could do with video games, so then I just got those instead.

My parents actually got my brother and I one, huehuehue....We hardly used it :I

Since when was wanting to eat tasty treats a gendered thing, anyway? :v

You hardly used?! How dare you squander such an item!

Had a lot to do with the color of it :P if it was blue, that Easy Bake Oven would've been mine for sure!

Edited by DevilishlyHandsome49

You hardly used?! How dare you squander such an item!

Had a lot to do with the color of it :P if it was blue, that Easy Bake Oven would've been mine for sure!

Pink isnt even a girl's color :T ...in any case I think at some point they advertied a neutral one with one boy in the background using it which was an attempt at gender neutrality.

OT: S many things...a lot of videogames and toys Id watch on TV and long for, and to this day I would still want to play the videogames.

But thats okay. Wanting things is bad. Happiness is overrated, or moreover you dont get happiness by fulfilling with wants.Just never want anything. Wanting is bad in life. Or something.

Im seriously screwed up mentally recently and taking it out on a stupid post

Pink isnt even a girl's color :T ...in any case I think at some point they advertied a neutral one with one boy in the background using it which was an attempt at gender neutrality.

No color is a boy's or girl's color, really...
But according to today's society, pink is absolutely a girl's color. :v

Also, I do recall seeing a boy in an Easy-bake oven commercial recently (well, there was a boy and a girl, but still), and the oven itself may have been more "neutral" colors, if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

Now I remember coveting Mousetrap. Eventually I got to play it at a friend's house. That game wasn't remotely as fun as the commercial made it out to be, some of the moving pieces would get stuck or flat out not work.

i had a mini keychain version of it.  i didn't use it much for that exact reason. 

B001DI4VN0-1-lg.jpg

That's right! When I was little, I wanted an Easy Bake Oven so I could make snacks for myself all day! My Uncle and Granddad wouldn't get it for me though since they classified that as a girl's toy

We had one of those. You arenèt missing much (sorry for canadian keyboard, its stuck)

youd slide a tray into the oven and it would get caught on something and dump and then burn, and this was like a super common occurance

it was ridiculous

Now I remember coveting Mousetrap. Eventually I got to play it at a friend's house. That game wasn't remotely as fun as the commercial made it out to be, some of the moving pieces would get stuck or flat out not work.

Mouse_Trap_Board_and_Boxjpg.jpg 

had mousetrap

those mice arent in any danger of being caught, trust me, the traps dont work half the time

This one fancy remote control truck where you could plug in your MP3 player and it would play music. I instead ended up with an rc S2000 with built in sounds, which I did use a lot.

Another Christmas I got this really cool all terrain rc, but it was too big and powerful for me to use in the house, and the drive was too small for it. If only there was an abandoned airstrip nearby for me to use, now that would be cool.

Anything Pokemon, really. Me 'n' my bro weren't allowed to have them because Pokemon are supposedly demons, but we tried our best to get our paws on anything Pokemon related. We had all sorts of stuff at multiple points. Dad was stupid and my bro got him to buy him cards as rewards for helping him with projects all the time, then mum would find out somehow and scold dad and rummage through everything looking for them. .-.

Then there was Digimon. Had a similar struggle with that, but hilariously (despite them looking more evil, frankly), it wasn't as bad. I did end up losing a couple action figures and Digivices to my mum's wrath... When she would get really angry she would just go through our shit and take anything that remotely looked "bad" and sadly that meant a lot of non-Pokemon things got victimized. I had some damn good cards at one point too and it really irritates me to know they're in some dump right now. Might even be in decent condition because they were in a binder. Maybe a hobo saved them.

Eventually my mum got worn out trying to stop us from getting stuff so we did get some, but there's just some things you can't recover as a kid who doesn't have access to eBay and no allowance. =/

Also always wanted a Playstation, but by the time we were able to convince our mum that it wasn't a bad thing to have we were past the PS1 era and into the PS2 era so managed to get that instead, plus a while hour of game time on Saturdays and Sundays! Go us!

There's still action figures and such from back then that I'd love to have now, but they're so ridiculously over priced that it's just not happening. Oh, and some rare Beanie Babies, used to love those things. Can't think of anything else atm.

PS1 is rad (I still have one!!!)

Operation was TERRIFYING. it was NOT fun

That buzz still haunts the dreams of many. I'm also sure it's driven an entire generation away from medical careers.

Definitely the GI-Joe aircraft carrier

Oh man, I think... now that you mention that, I'm pretty sure my parents gave me the fighter jet, that was based on the F-14? With the wings you could actuate... looked like this, I remember the handle behind the cockpit to get the wings to sweep back.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0133ed626349970b-600wi

That buzz still haunts the dreams of many. I'm also sure it's driven an entire generation away from medical careers.

Oh man, I think... now that you mention that, I'm pretty sure my parents gave me the fighter jet, that was based on the F-14? With the wings you could actuate... looked like this, I remember the handle behind the cockpit to get the wings to sweep back.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0133ed626349970b-600wi

Oh yes, I remember that.  My brother had it. It was one of the best and most destructive!

@Yarra This was like uncovering a weird repressed memory, except like... a good one. For example, I'd forgotten this thing came with super-awesome parachutes for the ejection seat!

__KGrHqIOKpME3tSe_b3NBOH56qPQnQ___1.JPG

I remember the decals being a complete bastard to put on. And I'm sure that I, like many children of the era, lost 1 to 3 of the missiles included with it before it finally went to a new home via one of our family garage sales. I bet my folks never imagined something they bought for (the then-outrageous price of) $20 would be selling for $100 in "Good, almost-whole" condition today. But they have expressed lament about the Voltron die-cast, so... I guess there's something to be said for nostalgia! Still, I don't blame them a bit. The price for the time was really over-the-top, and they had no idea it would appreciate (under very controlled circumstances) to the value it has today. Ultimately, toy speculation is a fool's game and I'm thankful for what I got as a kid (even though I didn't know how good I had it at the time).

I wanted a sega with sonic but my family was broke as hell so i got some terrible tiger electronics sonic thing instead. It was an LCD screen that had like 4 positions for sonic to occupy and an endless loop of enemies to hop on. What a piece of crap, still played the hell outta it

I wanted a sega with sonic but my family was broke as hell so i got some terrible tiger electronics sonic thing instead. It was an LCD screen that had like 4 positions for sonic to occupy and an endless loop of enemies to hop on. What a piece of crap, still played the hell outta it

Those machines covered everything from car racing games to (as I just learned from you) brand name arcade games. Terrible yet oddly addicting, exactly as you said.