wtf happened to christmas music?

Gator

Decorated the tree today, which for me requires christmas music in the background.  So I put on the "Holiday Classics" music channel.  You know... expecting to hear holiday classics.  What I got was a bunch of depressingly bland pop songs sung by people I'd never heard of, which just happened to say the word "christmas" in the lyrics.  That's not a damn classic, i dunno wtf that is.  It was not fun to decorate to, i know that much.  And whenever I did hear a tune I recognized, it was some opposite-gendered singer (also new-fangled pop singers, of course) doing a version with the lyrics changed to suit their "preferences".  I did not enjoy it.  How long have I been out of the loop for these things to have become "classics"?

>:[  *grouches back to the old-people cave to listen to old-people versions of old-people songs*

and i still don't get the whole "lol i'm a girl so let me change all instances of 'her' to 'him' so it doesn't make me sound gay!" thing.  no.  irritating.  just sing it right or make up your own damn song.  and i don't ever want to hear "santa buddy" again.  ever.

• Like 6

I know exactly what you mean, one of my favourite x-mas memories was driving up to Tahoe to see the snow and go skiing. The whole way there we flipped on the radio and sang along to nonstop classic Christmas songs. I can't even find Christmas music on the radio in my car anymore :( 

imo the modern world is doing a REALLY good job of killing off every possible chance of jazz ever being represented in the mainstream

almost all of those hits you're talking about are originated from either big band or swing charts, and if not that they're rock and roll or cross culturalist (classical and jazz), not so distant relatives.

this actually makes me really sad. 

Edited by evan

the only things i usually liked on christmas where the music and the decoration.

i had to endure bad christmas music for 3hours straight blasting through the radio cuz we where drivin around. the highlight was the one from miley fucking cyrus...

now its ony the decoration left wich keeps me enduring christmas somehow.

Edited by shiy0

19 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Christmas Music is crap. The newer stuff at least. If I have to, I prefer Jazz Christmas music than the pop trash that's out today.

I have the feeling that when Jazz was the new thing, those songs were considered pop trash, and people lamented them taking over even older songs.

11 minutes ago, Lisek said:

I have the feeling that when Jazz was the new thing, those songs were considered pop trash, and people lamented them taking over even older songs.

Probably, since a lot of Christmas songs in the earlier periods were more "Christ like" in lyrics and musical composition than Jazz...which is mostly instrumental depending on who you listen to. Yes, I do have older records of Christmas music dating back to the early 1900's.

i oughtta make myself a christmas cd, whenever i can afford it anyway

i swear though, some of these songs didn't even have discernible tunes.  and they couldn't have been more than a couple of years old.  "classics"... get your shit together, music station.

Anyways...I like trans Siberia orchestra :> There's not a lot of songs I can get into and theres a million different versions of a million different songs. Maybe I should make myself a Christmas playlist of versions I like

There's this one particular song I really like but cant ever pin a name to.

I've been running the "Electronic Holidays Radio" station from Pandora this year and last. Overall I've found it enjoyable to hear new takes of Christmas music with more modern, electronic twists. Sometimes a dubstep version of a song will come along that pisses me off and earn a thumbs-down, but overall it's nice. However, to the point OP made, it's not actually classic, it's just an interpretation of a classic.

Now I'm wondering if that album from Alvin & The Chipmunks (the original in '62 or even the release from the 80s, not whatever this "Road Chip" bullshit CGI generation of A&tC is) counts as "classic" by today's definition when some manufactured pop sensation can be shoved in a recording booth and auto-tuned to success.

Entirely depressing.

Here, OP - have a YouTube video (the playlist is in the description) of actual classics for Christmas. You've got everything from Burl Ives to The King. You could use it as inspiration for songs to pluck for your CD. Good luck, god speed and look out for the Grinch.

4 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Anyways...I like trans Siberia orchestra :> There's not a lot of songs I can get into and theres a million different versions of a million different songs. Maybe I should make myself a Christmas playlist of versions I like

There's this one particular song I really like but cant ever pin a name to.

I'd bet money that it's wizards of winter. That one is my favorite.

• Like 1

i fucking hate christmas music

and christmas

usually it was me crammed into the back of the car on some stupid 12 hour out of the way drive so we could make the trip a business trip amd go work on some stupid rental property. and play pretend family by being present at precisely one familu function a year. a most awful and anxious time.of year for yours truly. and through all the driving and family bullshit, every seasonal job, hell even at homeless shelter christmas. FUCKING. CHRISTMAS. MUSIC. crooning away as i twist in the winds of horror that is family. come to think of it shelter christmas was the best one ever. just me all slumped over my turkey whatever the fuck super nodded out. better than spending time with people who hate your very being but would never confront you with it

christmas music can eat my holly jolly butthole

On 14/12/2015 at 8:41 AM, Gator said:

and i still don't get the whole "lol i'm a girl so let me change all instances of 'her' to 'him' so it doesn't make me sound gay!" thing.  no.  irritating.  just sing it right or make up your own damn song.  and i don't ever want to hear "santa buddy" again.  ever.

When did "baby" become a female-only nickname? >.>

I feel guilty for actually liking the Twisted Sister christmas album now: I guess it ain't as classic as the jazzy classics, but hey, they're fun...

10 hours ago, MuttButt said:

I'd bet money that it's wizards of winter. That one is my favorite.

It's actually this one https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1AcD7hho9fs

I wasnt referringto TSO exclusively as Christmas songs I like but definitely anything by them, too. I know this is a popular and very played one but I really like this one: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4vNcGlM8O3I

Edit: And y'know I never could pick out the lyrics before...I had no idea what that song was about. I just liked the sound of it and the chime and all that...very nice song -w-

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

11 hours ago, Azure said:

i fucking hate christmas music

and christmas

usually it was me crammed into the back of the car on some stupid 12 hour out of the way drive so we could make the trip a business trip amd go work on some stupid rental property. and play pretend family by being present at precisely one familu function a year. a most awful and anxious time.of year for yours truly. and through all the driving and family bullshit, every seasonal job, hell even at homeless shelter christmas. FUCKING. CHRISTMAS. MUSIC. crooning away as i twist in the winds of horror that is family. come to think of it shelter christmas was the best one ever. just me all slumped over my turkey whatever the fuck super nodded out. better than spending time with people who hate your very being but would never confront you with it

christmas music can eat my holly jolly butthole

Jesus, that's gotta be torture...

11 hours ago, Lisek said:

New for 2065, it's Christmas Classics of the 2010s, featuring:

• Twerkin' Around the Christmas Tree.
  • Santa Bae.
  • Have Your Selfie a Merry Tweeting Christmas.
  • Let it YOLO.
  • O Christmas Swag.

i need this album immediately