Furries, what are you reading?

Cingal

Hello fellow bookers.

This is a thread to post whatever book you're reading and talk a bit about it, I suppose.

So, without any further delay, I am presently reading:

The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff.

The-Eagle-of-The-Ninth-by-Rosemary-Sutcl

I was kinda unsure of this one at first. It's typically known more as being a children's book, but, after getting into it, it's pretty mature and rather interesting. I guess a "Children's book" from the 50s is quite a bit different than what you'd expect today.

Pretty good, would recommend if you want a Roman adventurey novel.

Nice, I was actually thinking of making this thread a while ago.

I'm a sci-fi nerd.  I'm currently finishing up Destination: Void by Frank Herbert.  Really interesting stuff, one of his better books, I think.

coperta_DV.jpg

Then I'm also starting Theta by Sasya Fox that I got for Christmas, a furry sci-fi novel.  I've never read any real stories by furries, so I'm not sure if it will be good or bad, but it looks well-written so far at least.

• Like 1

On December 31, 2015 at 8:56 AM, Chrysocyon said:

Then I'm also starting Theta by Sasya Fox that I got for Christmas, a furry sci-fi novel.  I've never read any real stories by furries, so I'm not sure if it will be good or bad, but it looks well-written so far at least.

I hope you enjoy Theta as much as I did, the author is a good personal friend and former coworker of mine, I can't wait for the sequel to be finished :o)

I Have read over 100 audio books these past two years. 4ish books a month. The book I just finished is Robert Jordan's

" New Spring" beginning  prequel to the wheel of Time series. 

This short 12 hour audiobook  that is meant to be an introduction to the wheel of Time series for those who have yet to read the large epic adventure.  The first book in the wheel of Time series is called

" The eye of the world" 

I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a longer read that actually follow not only the characters but the politics. This is my all time favorite series and I highly recommend it to you guys.

image.png

image.png

Edited by Nolow

Worldwar: Upsetting the Balance

I am having to reread this series because I enjoy seeing enemies forced to work together and I am getting bored of other things.

The Man in the High Castle

I am rereading this because I refuse to watch the series until I have.

The Feynman Lectures on Physics

It is just my powerful passion for everything Feynman speaking, but I can only quote the text to even grasp at explaining why I am reading it again.

Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms. Nothing is "mere." I too can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more? The vastness of the heavens stretches my imagination - stuck  on this carousel my little eye can catch one-million-year-old light. A vast pattern - of which I am a part - perhaps my stuff was belched from some forgotten star, as one is belching there. Or see them with the greater eye of Palomar, rushing all apart from some common starting point when they were perhaps all together. What is the pattern, or the meaning, or the why? It does not do harm to the mystery to know a little about it. For far more marvelous is the truth than any artists of the past imagined! Why do the poets of the present not speak of it? What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?

Edited by MalletFace

I've just about finished re-reading Starship Troopers and soon I'll be short on reading material again until the public libraries open up after their public holidays which will be good since I need to return "The Moon is Harsh Mistress" and "The Old Man and Sea".

I seem to go through books very quickly, I'll have to hunt for some more.

On 12/31/2015 at 1:56 AM, Chrysocyon said:

Nice, I was actually thinking of making this thread a while ago.

I'm a sci-fi nerd.  I'm currently finishing up Destination: Void by Frank Herbert.  Really interesting stuff, one of his better books, I think.

coperta_DV.jpg

Do you know any good scifi stories that you would recommend?

Just finished Dreadnought by Robert K. Massie. Very good look at the big European personalities in the Victorian era. Right now I'm starting The Sound and the Fury for pleasure and Tax is not a Four Letter Word for, well, less pleasure.

On 1/2/2016 at 6:48 PM, Endless/Nameless said:

568861a56ca6f_Photoon1-2-16at5.43PM.thum

:x

• Like 1

I started reading The Golden Compass a while back but then put it down and never got back to it. Which is a shame, because what I read of it was fantastic! Its so exciting, and stuff is constantly happening in the book.

On 04/01/2016 at 5:42 PM, Khaki said:

I've just about finished re-reading Starship Troopers and soon I'll be short on reading material again until the public libraries open up after their public holidays which will be good since I need to return "The Moon is Harsh Mistress" and "The Old Man and Sea".

I seem to go through books very quickly, I'll have to hunt for some more.

I will totally recommend Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion for you. Big fat books with some of the best sci-fi writing I have ever read.

Hands down my fave books, especially the first one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Battlechili said:

I started reading The Golden Compass a while back but then put it down and never got back to it. Which is a shame, because what I read of it was fantastic! Its so exciting, and stuff is constantly happening in the book.

One of my favorite novels. Yes, pick it up again!

On 1/4/2016 at 10:42 AM, Khaki said:

Have you read the two cyberpunk classics, Neuromancer and Snow Crash? Written in the 80s but each day seems to bring us a bit closer to these books. Haven't read them, but if you like space shit A Fire Upon the Deep and the rest of Vernor VInge's stuff is supposed to be good.

I just started reading a book called Good Omens, and so far I'm loving it. It was recommended by a friend, it basically follows the lives of an angel and a demon who have both grown fond of living on the earth, and no longer want the apocalypse to happen, and so they conspire together to delay it. It's very witty and easy to read, I'd almost describe it as Monty Python but a book.

6 hours ago, Pignog said:

Have you read the two cyberpunk classics, Neuromancer and Snow Crash? Written in the 80s but each day seems to bring us a bit closer to these books. Haven't read them, but if you like space shit A Fire Upon the Deep and the rest of Vernor VInge's stuff is supposed to be good.

On 1/6/2016 at 10:19 AM, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

I will totally recommend Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion for you. Big fat books with some of the best sci-fi writing I have ever read.

Hands down my fave books, especially the first one.

Neat, I'll give them a look.

I personally enjoy military/science fiction stories with concepts that are somewhat more grounded to reality and you can imagine them being able to exist.

On 1/4/2016 at 9:42 AM, Khaki said:

If you're cool with bleak and Russian, Roadside Picnic is really, really good.

3 hours ago, MuttButt said:

I just started reading a book called Good Omens, and so far I'm loving it. It was recommended by a friend, it basically follows the lives of an angel and a demon who have both grown fond of living on the earth, and no longer want the apocalypse to happen, and so they conspire together to delay it. It's very witty and easy to read, I'd almost describe it as Monty Python but a book.

Good Omens is so fucking good it hurts. I actually bought my mother a copy of that un for Christmas. She hasn't started it though :( But talk about a 100% joy from start to finish

I've been reading Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and another book called Under the Net for a couple of months now. So far in Return of the King all the bits with Sam and Frodo are really good and interesting but all the battle scenes in the first 3rd or so of the book are reeeeeeeeally fucking boring. Under the Net is good too, nice and funny.

I also got David Attenborough's autobiography for Christmas so I'm reading that as well and loving it so far. :)

Edited by Sutekh_the_Steak