Do you prefer common species or underused species?

SirRob

Common or Uncommon  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Common or Uncommon

• Common
    • Uncommon

I don't really care what other people do,
but fandom needs more creepy monsters.

What kind?
The scary kind.

So yes, like the previously mentioned "mosquito that looks like it came out of satan's asshole."
And more stuff like that.
Like things that look like a scorpion fucked a spider, with a side helping of teeth and hell.

9 hours ago, Vae said:

I don't really care what other people do,
but fandom needs more creepy monsters.

What kind?
The scary kind.

So yes, like the previously mentioned "mosquito that looks like it came out of satan's asshole."
And more stuff like that.
Like things that look like a scorpion fucked a spider, with a side helping of teeth and hell.

Yeah but...imagine the kind of edgy person using that as their fursona/'sona. Or assuming that really did capture theirself as a persona and what theyre like in real life

37 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Yeah but...imagine the kind of edgy person using that as their fursona/'sona. Or assuming that really did capture theirself as a persona and what theyre like in real life

Most 'sonas are terrible anyway, so why not?

10 hours ago, Azurex said:

It must be done. Our very existence as a species depends on it

I welcome our new reptilian overlords with open arms.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Newt said:

Most 'sonas are terrible anyway, so why not?

I welcome our new reptilian overlords with open arms.

I didnt say why not Im just imagining a creepy monster as more an OC than someone fursona, which is supposed to represent themself.

Which would mean theyre an emo pessimistic misanthrope or some kind of depraved asshole murderer.

But I guess maybe some people would feel like capturing deep-set roots of past traumas, angst, anger, and frustration into some kind of being as a venty thing and a capture of what they are in those aspects, so maybe that works...

Not shoving off the idea just thinking about it for curiosities sake

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

Just now, WolfNightV4X1 said:

I didnt say why not Im just imagining a creepy monster as more an OC than someone fursona, which is supposed to represent themself.

Which would mean their an emo pessimistic misanthrope or some kind of depraved asshole murderer

Maybe they're scary-friendly, like Casper the ghost.

Maybe they just need a Christina Ricci in their lives.

Probably depends on the exact nature of the monster.

I remember in college, I got the yen to draw a (surprisingly good) "self-portrait" of myself as a kind of androgynous cyborg werewolf--and mind you, this was YEARS before I became acquainted with the furry fandom, or knew that drawing yourself as a cyborg wolf-thing was actually something people did.

My interpretation of my own picture was along the lines of, "Fuck you---sure, I'm ugly, but I'm a powerful and awesome kind of ugly."

So, yeah, arguably pretty misanthropic, emo, or pessimistic, but not entirely "oh poor me. I'm so hideous."

1 hour ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

I mean, "edgy" or not, it would still be a lot more interesting from a design standpoint than another red / black common species sona with the description "UM HES SECRETLY A DEMON AND LISTENS 2 LINKING PARK AND KILLS THE HATURS."

Keep in mind I'm talking about legitimately monstrous fursonas, and not just a bunch of claws slapped on otherwise conventionally-attractive characters.
The kind of gross messes that you wouldn't even be able to decipher from a design standpoint unless you spent a large amount of time on it.

23 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Which would mean theyre an emo pessimistic misanthrope or some kind of depraved asshole murderer.

But I guess maybe some people would feel like capturing deep-set roots of past traumas, angst, anger, and frustration into some kind of being as a venty thing and a capture of what they are in those aspects, so maybe that works...

Not shoving off the idea just thinking about it for curiosities sake

Fursonas act as avatars. They do not have to explicitly relate to yourself.

If they did, all the fun colors people like to shove into theirs would be off limits, unless they had unnatural hair colors IRL or something.
Also, all those fantasy races, like dragons and junk? Gone.

Edited by Vae
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Newt said:

How about more bears that aren't absurdly muscular or fat?

Crocodiles, too.

there is at least one non-gay bara bear I know and she's a girl

I'll see if I can find and link her FA when I can

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

It's pretty hard to pick between common and uncommon for me, because I love so many characters and some people are amazing at designing just about anything. My favorite anthros right now have to be Reptiles and Bulls, though.

Edit: Forgot to mention deer! I love a lot of Buck characters that are around right now.

Edited by malibu

3 hours ago, Khaki said:

If I hadn't chose a dog, I would have probably gone something like a horse or an Australian marsupial.

That being said, I would like to see more sheep and cows, I don't know why but I like them.

You seem very kanagaroo-like to me. c: 

On 1/7/2016 at 3:15 AM, Kellan Meig'h said:

I like any of the fursonas except canids. However, coyotes are cool. That's the one exception to canids.

for some reason this reminds me of people who are like "I like all music except rap and country, except for [insert exception to the statement here]" :u

5 hours ago, jcstinks said:

I can provide evidence to the contrary. Substantial evidence.

I've noticed most people don't like characters that aren't a dog, cat or rabbit. There's the small subcultures like scalies and birds, but if you're something considered strange, like an insect or an opossum, then it won't get much lovins

28 minutes ago, Barnectomy said:

I've noticed most people don't like characters that aren't a dog, cat or rabbit. There's the small subcultures like scalies and birds, but if you're something considered strange, like an insect or an opossum, then it won't get much lovins

Trust me, as a Tasmanian devil I am having no problems in that department. If you know what I mean.

• 6 months later...

I tend to like the look of more uncommon ones more. I have a preference for mustelids and gryphons but that may be due to my main anthro character being a weasel and the fact I have drawn many gryphons in the past. But any carnivorous animal you don't see often such as crocodiles or hyenas I tend to like as well.

I enjoy both. What I like to see in either case, however, is species as a starting point for a character. Not the final destination, so to speak. I mean, a garden variety red fox is nice and all, but why not a purple and blue fox from another galaxy? Have a fun with it.

10 hours ago, Xaende said:

I enjoy both. What I like to see in either case, however, is species as a starting point for a character. Not the final destination, so to speak. I mean, a garden variety red fox is nice and all, but why not a purple and blue fox from another galaxy? Have a fun with it.

Like this?

rubyrhodfox.png

• Like 1