Do you prefer common species or underused species?

SirRob

Common or Uncommon  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Common or Uncommon

• Common
    • Uncommon

In general, or in terms of attractiveness. 

I think I'll always prefer the standard canines and foxes over anything else. Is that boring? I'd imagine most furries are the same, but I'm interested in hearing what you folks like. 

Edited by SirRob

Variety helps when it comes to drawings, at least personally. Especially when you draw for other people, it's always nice to see sonas modeled after different species once a while among so many canines, so they break the monotony xP They don't even have to be that snowflake-y or sparkly, and whenever I'm asked to add some random characters on the background I always go for ungulates, rodents or other uncommon mammals to show some variety.

On the other hand though, canines have become so common that they've become part of every artist's confidence zone: they're "easy" and "simple" creatures perfect for warm-up doodles, excercises and experimental styles.

Definitely. Canines and western dragons are annoyingly common to my tastes. It gets monotonous after a while so different, less common species keep things interesting for me. I like hybrids too

Oh, another thing, I'd like to suggest a poll be included, you know, for science. Whatever floats your boat OP

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Hewge said:

Canines are a total snooze-fest

I for one am a fan of sleeping with a sexy doggy man

2 hours ago, Amiir said:

Definitely. Canines and western dragons are annoyingly common to my tastes. It gets monotonous after a while so different, less common species keep things interesting for me. I like hybrids too

Oh, another thing, I'd like to suggest a poll be included, you know, for science. Whatever floats your boat OP

I added a poll, I put a lot of effort into it so please vote in it

I prefer hyenas, crocodiles, gazelles and such in art. They are just somehow either cool or beautiful to me. Though I have no problem with the more usual species either.

EDIT: Oh, and bats. I like bats too.

Edited by Recel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SirRob said:

I added a poll, I put a lot of effort into it so please vote in it

But like, there's a whole world of inbetween.

Maybe someone enjoys a mix of both, or they like species that are kind of in between, or they tend to like uncommon choices but their favourite animal is a fox.

17 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

But like, there's a whole world of inbetween.

Maybe someone enjoys a mix of both, or they like species that are kind of in between, or they tend to like uncommon choices but their favourite animal is a fox.

No, you gotta commit to a decision, that's the harshness of life, if you don't learn now you're gonna get eaten alive in the real world > : (

Edited by SirRob

Im a hybrid, kind of rare but also snowflake-y in itself, wolves dont have wings, thats silly! That said the winged fantasy mammal creature isnt too terribly common in fandom terms...I think? (barring angel dragons).

i have other original characters, which are also hybrids and lesser species. A civet (african and malaysian), a feline/dragon or feline/bearded dragon/thorny devil depending on my mood, a goat/foxbat, a capricabbit (goat/rabbit/fish), a (reverse-black with white spots) dalmation/pitbull, a winged ferrox, a common dragon, and just some common felids.

some other species of note (that some Id want to turn into my collection of Ocs) Okapi, alpaca, goats, dragonfly, bearded dragon, leopard gecko, iguana, gryphon,  bearded vulture, bats, leopard, octopus, squid, polecats/weasels/ermines/ferrets/stoats, wolverines, opossums, alligators, thlylacines,  manatee, eel, snakes, leafy seadragon, spiders/tarantulas, paramecium, tardigrade, eastern dragon, other lesser known mythical creatures, linsang and genet and other viverrids, capybara, platypus, bush dog

Some original story features my favorite characters which are all feral talking animals with no colorful neon designs; Spot- a border collie, ozzy- a tasmanian tiger wolf, Corv- a raven/crow

(I watched too much animal planet as a kid, I really like the variety in the animal kingdom...tons of neat species get ignored)

Edited by WolfNightV4X1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhíulchabán said:

Avians are the superior breed and I'm sticking to that! :P

Really though, I don't dislike common species, but I personally enjoy Avians/reptiles the most, so that's a personal preference.

I love seeing all types of fursonas, the more variety the better!

Avian high five.

I went for owl because I just love them in general and fit me the most, didn't care if it was common or not. I don't dislike common species, and I don't dislike uncommon ones either as long as they're not trying too hard to be their own special snowflake. I'm indifferent on this matter... But burbs <3

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

I don't really care too much, so long as it looks good. I mean I'd rather have someone make generic fox #7,321,218 than like a fuckin' mosquito that looks like it came out of Satan's asshole.

You guys give me the weirdest ideas to draw...

:V

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Half-Note said:

Honestly, IDGAF.

I mean, I prefer common ones, but if you want to be original by all means, as long as it's not some overly crappy hybrid-thing.

Im offended, this is clearly an affront towards me.

So what, no love for Chaos the everything?

5689ef616247f_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppD5689ef681a2bb_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppD

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

5689ef616247f_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppD5689ef681a2bb_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppD

I'm actually amazed that someone made this thing..and the suit honestly looks a lot better than the concept art lol

like it's still a hot mess but I really like that they included the crab claw, the snake, and all of the eyes on the suit.

16 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Oh my fuck, this is so tasteless, other than downright abominable

15 minutes ago, Troj said:

Chaos the Chimera is awesome. Don't be hatin'.

Oh, and I tend to prefer underused species, myself. Thinking of revamping my jackal into a bat, and possibly making them my primary, and my aardvark my secondary.

So if everyone was into aardvarks would you not be interested in them anymore?