"Are you stupid? That thing fucking sucks."

Conker

Hey FAF that isn't FAF but is still kind of FAF, what are some things--movies, books, tv shows, video games, and any other form of media that honestly means little but we obsess over anyways--that make you utter the above sentence? Like, you stumble upon a conversation about movies and someone says THAT ONE MOVIE that you don't just think is shit, you know is shit. You have to tell him. Now. You might even be a bit of a dick about it.

You of course won't change any minds.

Or the long story: I rewatched all of the Star Wars movies over the last month and posted about it a bit, going, "Hey I had a lot of fun, even if the prequels are kinda bad. My favorite of the bunch was Return of the Jedi." And Mr. Salty McSalty pants spent a half hour telling me why that movie is shit. Fair enough, opinions and whatnot, but since he was also a giant fucking cunt about it, it kinda got me thinking.

Because i do that sometimes too. I try not to, and I've gotten better at not doing it, but I still wind up doing it. I really need to stop. No one wants to be that giant cunt who is screaming at a crowd of people who like a thing and don't want to hear what he has to say because of the aforementioned, "giant cunt" thing.

My big ones are the following novels:

Ready Player One (and by proxy, Armada though that Cline book wasn't nearly as popular as far as I can tell)

Divergent

A Wizard's First Rule

The Name of the Wind (which honestly wasn't even that bad, but the sequel oh god the sequel)

Those four books can really set me off for whatever reason. I have pretty strong opinions about books and honestly, I don't like most of the ones I read these days, but I'm willing to let 90% of the novels I dislike slide if others are enjoying them. I'm happy you found something to like! Good for you. Honestly. But those four. God damn I see someone praise them and I just have to go, "DUDE REALLY WHY WHY WHY?" and then make an asshole spectacle.

But as I said. I'm trying to not do that anymore. I don't want to be like that guy I talked to last night who was literally offended that i liked a movie he didn't like. That's just sad.

But enough talking. FAF that isn't FAF but is still kind of FAF, what pieces of media set you off in the following way? Or if you're more mature than I am, what make you at least shake your head and go, "how?" internally?

Paranormal Activity and its sequels. they were just really boring and not that scary and yet people lose their shit over them

11 minutes ago, Toboe said:

media that I dislike? Eragon movie. 'Nuff said.

my entire 6th grade class went to go see Eragon as a field trip because it was the popular book at the time and practically everyone read it, and I've never regretted seeing a movie so much in my life

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Endless/Nameless said:

The show "Friends". 

Who'd want to watch that cheesy poop??

Me. ;-; (But now that I'm older, even though I still like watching it, I see a lot of huge issues with it that bother me on occasion.)

Pretty much any of the very recent "comedy" shows really bug me, Family Guy being the one I hate most. I don't mind telling people I hate that show and that I lose a lot of respect for them knowing they like it (the more they like it, the more respect they lose). I've lost friends over it because it's such a popular show and I don't really care if they don't wanna be friends after than cuz I don't much care to be friends with people that find that show funny. For some reason people don't like being told that they've lost many kudos because they find something humorous. :L There's lots of targets out there for me to insult too, just because it is so popular. Makes me lose faith in humanity that so many people could like it...

Edited by Kinare

6 minutes ago, Kinare said:

Me. ;-; 

Well if you enjoy it, that's all that counts. 

8 minutes ago, Kinare said:

Family Guy being the one I hate most....Makes me lose faith in humanity that so many people could like it...

Agreed, that show is cancer. The animation/artstyle is insipidly horrid, the characters are dumb, and the humor is just disgusting. Watching it is like trying to eat day-old Kraft macaroni on a stale tortilla chip in a room that smells of vomit. I will admit I have seen some genuinely funny clips, but the rest of it is just unredeemably bad and caters to the lowest common denominator. Same goes for the rip-off shows like American Dad, etc.

But that's just my opinion. Like the show if you want. 

• Like 3

I'm guilty of being that guy, and having to deal with that guy. When it comes to video games, particularly series that I'm invested in and care about, I can discuss things in a critical light for ages. I try to be reasonable but I probably do get carried away.

I just hate it when people do that without giving reasons. Just, "____ sucks". If you don't give reasons you're not discussing things, you're just giving an opinion. But they say it loud and arrogantly, so it must be true, right?

10 hours ago, Conker said:

what pieces of media set you off in the following way?

I passionately dislike both Skyward Sword and Metroid: Other M. They both have a long list of massive flaws and are arguably the worst entries in each series.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flake said:

I passionately dislike both Skyward Sword and Metroid: Other M. They both have a long list of massive flaws and are arguably the worst entries in each series.

Skyward Sword is a fun one ot talk about, because I loved like 80% of that game, but that other 20% made me rage and moan so fucking hard that I hardly remember the 80% now.

I'm with willow on Paranormal Activity. Being a horror movie buff who prefers a harrowing story over actual scares, I never saw the appeal when the first movie was released in theaters. Then some friends in high school began claiming that it was the scariest movie ever, and I gave it a chance. I was not impressed, and I was quick to shut down anyone who claimed it was a good movie. I can't believe it took multiple films to make people realize that the franchise was always shit. lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SkyboundTerror said:

I'm with willow on Paranormal Activity. Being a horror movie buff who prefers a harrowing story over actual scares, I never saw the appeal when the first movie was released in theaters. Then some friends in high school began claiming that it was the scariest movie ever, and I gave it a chance. I was not impressed, and I was quick to shut down anyone who claimed it was a good movie. I can't believe it took multiple films to make people realize that the franchise was always shit. lol

I guess because it's kind of like the Blair Witch Project and rather than relying on CGI demons and the like it relies on tension and what a real life haunting would look like, but it just wasn't entertaining

On 3/23/2016 at 6:15 PM, Conker said:

Or the long story: I rewatched all of the Star Wars movies over the last month and posted about it a bit, going, "Hey I had a lot of fun, even if the prequels are kinda bad. My favorite of the bunch was Return of the Jedi." And Mr. Salty McSalty pants spent a half hour telling me why that movie is shit. Fair enough, opinions and whatnot, but since he was also a giant fucking cunt about it, it kinda got me thinking.

The first one I saw as a tween was Return of the Jedi, so it's my favorite.

Let me guess, he said Empire was the best and then spent 2 hours trying to explain how nuanced that one was.

@The Paranormal Activity discussion: I'll 3rd that pick. I've never actually seen Paranormal Activity though because the trailers made it look really stupid, full of the typical garbage that most people just eat up. I love the horror genre, but am very picky. Must has psychological horror with decent story plox.

Insidious is another that people just raved about so I took the plunge and bought it cuz I found it for $5... very lame movie. It had so much potential, though. =/

I came here to add one I forgot about: Hallmark movies/series. The client I had about a year and a half ago used to watch Hallmark almost exclusively and I had to sit through these horribly cheesy love/holiday movies. I didn't mind telling her I thought they were "silly" and "extremely unrealistic" and she actually seemed to find my... commentary... during them funny, so I got away with it on a regular basis. I did have to try to keep it to a minimum though so that I didn't wear her out and make her hate me or something, I mean, professionalism and such... Her house, so she can watch w/e she wants.

27 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

The first one I saw as a tween was Return of the Jedi, so it's my favorite.

Let me guess, he said Empire was the best and then spent 2 hours trying to explain how nuanced that one was.

he said Empire was the best, but Jedi was the worst because it ruined Luke by making him a murderer. Apparently blowing up a ship filled with badguys and one band that weren't doing jack to help any of the slaves escape means he's now the worst and a broken character.

Also, he hated the Ewoks.

18 hours ago, Conker said:

he said Empire was the best, but Jedi was the worst because it ruined Luke by making him a murderer. Apparently blowing up a ship filled with badguys and one band that weren't doing jack to help any of the slaves escape means he's now the worst and a broken character.

Also, he hated the Ewoks.

Did he adjust his fedora afterward?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Newt said:

Telltale games.

You can only reskin the same game so many times before it becomes tedious. A lot of them aren't well written and your choices never matter.

I only ever played the first season of TWD. Storywise I enjoyed it, but what gameplay was there was pretty awful. It also ran like shit, and I was running it on a pretty beefy PC. No excuses for that.

Still surprised it nabbed so many GOTY awards, honestly.

4 hours ago, Conker said:

I only ever played the first season of TWD. Storywise I enjoyed it, but what gameplay was there was pretty awful. It also ran like shit, and I was running it on a pretty beefy PC. No excuses for that.

Still surprised it nabbed so many GOTY awards, honestly.

Game play is pretty meh, at times frustratingly annoying. One part in particular I just could not figure out how to get past, thinking maybe I was just missing some mechanic, until I realized you simply have to click a certain spot just right and very quickly... But ran like shit? I don't by any means have top tier PCs and I've never had issues with either season. Especially back when the first came out I had a pretty blah laptop and my desktop had about half it's current RAM and a much worse GFX card.

Pretty much why it won so many awards is because: 1) story was wow; 2) zombies r kool.

You all know how I feel about Lets Players...

FNAF

Goat Simulators or all Lets Player friendly games in general

Apple Products

Um...I can't think of others

On 3/25/2016 at 10:54 AM, Newt said:

Telltale games.

You can only reskin the same game so many times before it becomes tedious. A lot of them aren't well written and your choices never matter.

I only played Wolf Among Us and loved it...why the fuck is Telltale taking so long to give me Season 2!

On 3/24/2016 at 11:10 PM, Conker said:

Skyward Sword is a fun one ot talk about, because I loved like 80% of that game, but that other 20% made me rage and moan so fucking hard that I hardly remember the 80% now.

Dousing.

On 3/24/2016 at 11:24 PM, PastryOfApathy said:

The baby.

ADAM

45 minutes ago, Flake said:

Dousing.

ADAM

After my wacky adventures with THE BABY, my ship's system's heard the "BABY'S CRY" which lead me to THE BOTTLESHIP where I found a BABY Ripley who looks like a furby for some reason. There we find the main villain who is motivated by her love of THE BABY almost as if she was her MOTHER.

B A B Y

1 minute ago, PastryOfApathy said:

After my wacky adventures with THE BABY, my ship's system's heard the "BABY'S CRY" which lead me to THE BOTTLESHIP where I found a BABY Ripley who looks like a furby for some reason. There we find the main villain who is motivated by her love of THE BABY almost as if she was her MOTHER.

B A B Y

Samus was emotionally frail all along!! Arigatou Sakamoto-san for showing us what Metroid was really about!

8 hours ago, Naesaki said:

As long as you're next line isn't "I love Jar Jar Binks." then we'll be A-OK! :V

Actually, Jar Jar was one of the few things I liked from Phantom Menace, and I rewatched that movie all of two months ago. Whoever plays the dumbass Gungan is the only person who acts in that whole fucking flick. Everyone else is a deadpan, wooden, sociopath and we're supposed to care for some reason.

Jar Jar is also the ONLY character to react to anything in what I'd consider a normal way. Scary? He's scared. Happy? He's happy! No one else does either.

Plus, he's secretly the biggest asshole in that whole movie, and this amuses me.

• Like 1

Family Guy, and pretty much every reality TV show rubs me the wrong way.

That being said, I'm glad to see Return of the Jedi getting some love for a change. It's my favorite Star Wars movie. I used to say The Empire Strikes Back was the best, in an attempt to seem cool, but I don't care what people think anymore.

Edited by Xaende

Family Guy and every other animated television series Seth MacFarlane has shit out. The man is not funny, and he knows it.

Call of Duty. I just don't see the appeal. It's the same cookie-cutter shit every fucking year.

Halo games by 343i. Call of Halo: Future Warfare 5, Multiplayer edition.

Reality television. It's all staged. 

Amiibo. Everything I've seen that an Amiibo can do in games (aside from in Smash), I'm fairly certain would be unlockable through gameplay had these games come out a decade ago. (Even games that actually DID come out a decade ago)

Skylanders. The final resting place of the PlayStation's purple dragon, and he's a fucking afterthought. Fuck your toys, Bob. Also, shark-jumping should not be a selling point.

Edited by Strangefox32000

Im always living in constant fear that people will judge me for the shitty things I like, if its something like food or clothes I doubt I care but people are damn passionate about stuff like music, tv shows, games, books, etc. and its almost scary to have them secretly hate your guts over it, or just stare at you blankly and not connect with you at all because of it. I always feel emotionally hurt if someone feels that way towards me.

As for me, Im sort of open and unbiased about most things, not a lot of things I deeply dislike for the most part, some things Im open to and okay with and probably like a little, and some things I cant relate but gladly respect

So on a simple level I love dogs, I also love cats, Im not as fond of but I like horses and bears. The only thing I openly despise is wasps because no.

As far as hate, my list would be shitty book-to-movie adaptations, such as listed above. (Ive known people who have said they liked those over the books they never read), Justin Bieber, One D., any boyband only iconic because theyre hawt and sing romancey musics, generic bland popstars (I actually have a few I sorta like though so this list is kind of a stretch), and probably anything with vanity.

Im trying to get over that thogu, my old disdain for those things was rather childish but I just indifferent them now, I mean whatever some people like that, not me.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

9 hours ago, LazerMaster5 said:

Pop music in general is terrible. But then again, wasn't it always?

Yes. Absolutely. 
But I feel like it's gotten worse over the years tho.
There were hits from the 60's that were considered "pop" at the time and are now heralded as rock classics.
I can't see that happening to Miley Cyrus. (god please no god please no god please no)
I guess it also depends on how one defines "pop"