Rant: Credit card chip cards

Crazy Lee

So, I received a chip card from my bank a month ago. A credit card with a chip in it. Apparently Europe has had these since Bernie Sanders was born in the last ice age, but like everything the USA is finally catching up.

The problem is, no place I go to actually accepts them! Walmart accepts them, Target accepts them, Kroger accepts them, that's about it. Meijer, a local supermarket chain, accepts them at one store, but not another. Most places I go to, I am told they do not accept them.

And it's not like they don't have the equipment. The vast majority, I'd say close to 90%, have the credit card machines that have the slot on the bottom for the chip. For some reason the equipment is not activated. I feel completely awkward wondering if I should stick my card in the bottom of the machine or not, and looking like an idiot when nothing happens and the cashier tells me the chip reader doesn't work, which happens most of the time. 

These card readers were supposed to be ready last October. Most of them are not. And from what I've read, the companies are now liable for any fraud, not the credit card companies. So I guess they're gonna get a lot of claims against them unless they get their shit together.

Ok I don't see this as a "why is america behind?" Rant. I know it is but I have another issue with these damn things. Why exactly do we need them and why are they superior? If they are more secure or durable or whatever that's cool, but the implementation is pathetic at best. My rant about them would be that two weeks ago I could use my card, swipe it quickly and put it back in my wallet. It never leaves my hand. Now I have to stick it in a damn slot, leave it there and don't dare pull it out until the machine says it's ok to do so, and no, I can't just swipe it using the magnetic strip at this store. The machine rejects it if it has a chip and forces you to use the slot. This is just dumb. The same card at the same store with the same machine worked fine two weeks ago the other way. The banks can take these chip cards and shove em up their collective ass. That's what *I* say.

But them im just an old curmudgeon who doesn't like stupid change for the sake of change...

Edited by Nordo
Clarifying who's ass they should be shoved up.

I was in Canada last summer and made a credit card purchase at a waterfront market.  The nice young lady working the stand took my card and put it in the chip reader and nothing happened.  She looked at the card and said "Oh, you must be from the USA" and then reached behind the counter to get the old strip reader.  I apologized for the backwards state of my countries banking system and went about my business.  Thankfully my credit card company has gone to chip cards since then, but I was still baffled why the leaders of the free world could be so behind the times.  

17 minutes ago, Nordo said:

Ok I don't see this as a "why is america behind?" Rant. I know it is but I have another issue with these damn things. Why exactly do we need them and why are they superior? If they are more secure or durable or whatever that's cool, but the implementation is pathetic at best. My rant about them would be that two weeks ago I could use my card, swipe it quickly and put it back in my wallet. It never leaves my hand. Now I have to stick it in a damn slot, leave it there and don't dare pull it out until the machine says it's ok to do so, and no, I can't just swipe it using the magnetic strip at this store. The machine rejects it if it has a chip and forces you to use the slot. This is just dumb. The same card at the same store with the same machine worked fine two weeks ago the other way. The banks can take these chip cards and shove em up their collective ass. That's what *I* say.

But them im just an old curmudgeon who doesn't like stupid change for the sake of change...

More shit can be crammed into that chip perhaps? Our ID card can be used to pay some things, for example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Lee said:

If you have a chip card, and a fraudulent transaction happens with the card because it's swiped instead of using the chip, the retailer is liable for the transaction, not the credit card companies.

I don't really see the issue with this.

If they can't keep up with technology that people have to rely upon to pay for their stuff, that's their own problem.

13 minutes ago, Mayonnaise said:

More shit can be crammed into that chip perhaps? Our ID card can be used to pay some things, for example.

That's cool. I get that, my problem is with the way it's read. It's no longer a simple card swipe, it doesn't feel like progress as an end user. It feels like "WTF, why is this MORE cumbersome than before?" Now if they had made the readers like the kind you just pass the card over, THAT would be badass. I'm still waiting for the scanners that just tally your shopping card and debit your account when you go out of the store without ever stopping in a line. THATS progress. 

1 hour ago, Nordo said:

It's not a "Why is America behind" rant, it's a "I can't use this chip card my bank gave me" rant.

The purpose of the chip, as far as I can tell, is to make credit card transactions way more secure. I'm not exactly sure how it does it, but apparently it encrypts the transaction between the POS and the bank with a unique encryption every time. Still doesn't exactly make internet transactions more secure, and if someone steals your card they can still use it. Although I've heard the chip cards are supposed to have a pin number associated with them to use them, I've only had to enter the pin number at one retailer so far.

The thing is though, the entire rest of the world apparently uses chip cards. So we're behind. But what do you expect in a country where the gov refuse to force companies to change in order to get them to do things like the rest of the world does because we're "american exceptional" and "muh free murrket."

25 minutes ago, Nordo said:

That's cool. I get that, my problem is with the way it's read. It's no longer a simple card swipe, it doesn't feel like progress as an end user. It feels like "WTF, why is this MORE cumbersome than before?" Now if they had made the readers like the kind you just pass the card over, THAT would be badass. I'm still waiting for the scanners that just tally your shopping card and debit your account when you go out of the store without ever stopping in a line. THATS progress. 

I dunno about you Americans, but I can just TAP my chip card to the terminal for purchases under $50. :P 

• Like 1

Tap to pay has been here in Australia since at least my first debit card. That was... fuck, like eight years ago now. And I know they have been around here a lot longer than that.

I HAVE NEVER EVEN SWIPED A CARD. I'm almost thirty. Are you seriously telling me these things are new to you?

• Like 1

Yep, the USA still swipes cards..... also, we still live in caves and use stone wheels apparently.

I was at a tap room this afternoon buying drinks and the swiper died so they had to enter the credit card number manually.  'merica!

9 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

If you have a chip card, and a fraudulent transaction happens with the card because it's swiped instead of using the chip, the retailer is liable for the transaction, not the credit card companies.

Again I say who cares? 

Buy your groceries and go home. 

1 minute ago, ArielMT said:

A very large number of Americans also write and even mail checks.

The best part about it is that it's usually old people who hold up the line for 5 minutes while they struggle to write one.

Bonus points if they can't find their glasses.

• Like 3

Weird. Yer in the us and they don't accept it? Hell. I live in 3rd world country and they accepted that for years now (at least for the stores that accept credit cards). All the credit cards I've seen for the past couple years already have chips in em and stores here don't seem to have any problems with em.

My understanding also is that in the United States there's much less shopping options where you can just pay with your bank card.  Like, here in Canada you can pay with you bank card at about 98% of establishments or so where as in the United States there are way more places where you have to carry cash like some kind of Neanderthal or you're SOL.

• Like 1

I really can't understand americans and their love to use plastic.

A typical American have money stolen from them via credit/debit card fraud more times than actual currencies stolen from them.

Like does that make sense? I rather keep papermoney than my card, plus I am less tempted to spend immaturely with a debit/credit card

1 hour ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

I really can't understand americans and their love to use plastic.

A typical American have money stolen from them via credit/debit card fraud more times than actual currencies stolen from them.

Like does that make sense? I rather keep papermoney than my card, plus I am less tempted to spend immaturely with a debit/credit card

Personally I've never had anything taken from any of my accounts.  Someone once tried to get $300 in Google Play cards off my PayPal but PayPal reversed that transaction and someone TRIED to use a copy of my bank card to gain access but they apparently never had my PIN and all that happened was my account got locked.

However I think you're missing out on another critical thing, that is the security of the cards.  That is, if money gets STOLEN, you don't PAY for it.  If you stole my bank card and spend $500 on it, the bank would give me my $500 back.  While I would be temporarily inconvenienced, I would not be $500 poorer.  Also if I just lost my bank card, like, down a sewer or something, I'd get the card cancelled and replaced but if I lost hard currency down a sewer I'd just be SOL.  (And the Ninja Turtles would be all 'COWABUNGA!  MONEY!')

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Personally I've never had anything taken from any of my accounts.  Someone once tried to get $300 in Google Play cards off my PayPal but PayPal reversed that transaction and someone TRIED to use a copy of my bank card to gain access but they apparently never had my PIN and all that happened was my account got locked.

However I think you're missing out on another critical thing, that is the security of the cards.  That is, if money gets STOLEN, you don't PAY for it.  If you stole my bank card and spend $500 on it, the bank would give me my $500 back.  While I would be temporarily inconvenienced, I would not be $500 poorer.  Also if I just lost my bank card, like, down a sewer or something, I'd get the card cancelled and replaced but if I lost hard currency down a sewer I'd just be SOL.  (And the Ninja Turtles would be all 'COWABUNGA!  MONEY!')

I have a bit of banking knowledge (Thank You Muln)

Filing Reg-E does not guarantee that you'll get your money back.

If a fraud transaction was done using a credit card, The charge will be temporarily removed from your statement until an investigation proves that you did not make those fraud charges. Should the merchant have evidence that proves otherwise you will be charged again by the bank

If this is a debit card, A transaction posted means that neither you or the bank have your money anymore and the bank have to contact the biller to process a chargeback. If you're dealing fraud transaction from big companies from Amazon, Paypal, Ebay you can rest well a bit coz those companies are easy to deal by the bank but if you're dealing with small shady merchants like Gas stations, Convenience Store, Shady Online Purchases... you probably never see your money again

And yes... it's quite inconvenient... You'll probably need to fax stuff to the bank and waiting for a new card sent to you... which you have to give to the companies you setup autopayment..

It's also worst if you use pre-paid debit cards

18 minutes ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

I have a bit of banking knowledge (Thank You Muln)

Filing Reg-E does not guarantee that you'll get your money back.

If a fraud transaction was done using a credit card, The charge will be temporarily removed from your statement until an investigation proves that you did not make those fraud charges. Should the merchant have evidence that proves otherwise you will be charged again by the bank

If this is a debit card, A transaction posted means that neither you or the bank have your money anymore and the bank have to contact the biller to process a chargeback. If you're dealing fraud transaction from big companies from Amazon, Paypal, Ebay you can rest well a bit coz those companies are easy to deal by the bank but if you're dealing with small shady merchants like Gas stations, Convenience Store, Shady Online Purchases... you probably never see your money again.

Well, we are working on the assumption that you are the victim of fraud rather than committing the fraud yourself.  Before I continue, I'm Canadian and obviously have no experience with the American banking system, but Canadian banks will return the money as a matter of policy, even if the money is not recovered.  My understanding that this is not part of any Canadian law but rather a voluntary policy that Canadian financial institutions conform to and it is also a mandate of the Interac network (The Canadian inter-bank network).

Edited by AshleyAshes

36 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Well, we are working on the assumption that you are the victim of fraud rather than committing the fraud yourself.  Before I continue, I'm Canadian and obviously have no experience with the American banking system, but Canadian banks will return the money as a matter of policy, even if the money is not recovered.  My understanding that this is not part of any Canadian law but rather a voluntary policy that Canadian financial institutions conform to and it is also a mandate of the Interac network (The Canadian inter-bank network).

We could use those laws in the US xD Damn you Canadians!

----------------------------------------------------

Fraud selling is rampant in the US

I'll give you an example how it works:

Say you signed up for a trial product and you only have to pay for shipping (around $5) and if you don't like the product you have to call the company to let them know you don't like it so they won't autobill you every month for the full product. So you don't like the product and you call the company just to find out that you can't get in touch with anybody

technically you have done business with the merchant so you can't call it fraud, so you'll end up losing money every month. If you file a Reg-E claim, the merchant will present proof that the charges are valid xD 

On 3/26/2016 at 9:26 AM, #00Buck said:

Who cares?

Just swipe the card. 

That's what I do. Mine are backwards compatible, with a magnetic strip on the side, so they can be used anywhere that accepts credit cards. The only difference I've noticed is that I have to use the chip in places that can read the chip. If they can't, I just swipe the card.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xaende said:

That's what I do. Mine are backwards compatible, with a magnetic strip on the side, so they can be used anywhere that accepts credit cards. The only difference I've noticed is that I have to use the chip in places that can read the chip. If they can't, I just swipe the card.

This is how ours are. I was under the impression that the chip was in addition to the swipe, not a replacement. So the card still works both ways.

• Like 1