Why do people even do illegal drugs, anymore?

Ricky

Seriously, when there are plenty of legal alternatives that are very similar, and sometimes even the same thing, for all intents and purposes, it makes me wonder why people do illegal stuff these days, at all. There have been a ton of new designer drugs recently that can be ordered from the internet. Because the drug laws (in America anyway) are so screwed up, each time something new is to be made illegal it almost always requires a lengthy process of passing a bill, having it voted through the Senate and House, the related bipartisan tug-of-war bullshit from Congress that accompanies it, and this assumes it doesn't get vetoed, which it won't because no president wants to support "OMG DRUGZ".

Things like benzodiazepine anaolgs are legal anyway, since the Analog Act only covers class A and B (these are class C). Stuff like clonazolam (not to be confused with clonazepam) is stronger than anything you can be prescribed, to my knowledge, and can be ordered over the internet legally and for less money than the standard deductible you'd pay with insurance. There are also those that work better, like pyrazolam (and other a2, a3-specific GABA agonists) that are strong anxiolytics but don't carry the same intoxicating qualities or memory problems associated with most GABA-ergic drugs. They still aren't prescribed as far as I'm aware, since they came out as designer drugs to sell in a niche online market (mainly dominated by the UK prior to new legislation there and in China) and so they couldn't be patented like other pharmaceuticals.

1,4-butanediol is a solvent used mainly in polymer chemistry, to make nylon for example. It is one of the most highly used industrial chemicals and isn't a controlled substance or even a controlled (watched) chemical in the United States (at the federal level, there are a few states with laws prohibiting it). When ingested, it breaks down to GHB in a quantitative fashion (by alcohol dehydrogenase to the aldehyde and then aldehyde dehydrogenase to the carboxylic alcohol). Since GBL is highly watched, it is hard to get, as it breaks down to GHB in situ as well. That was the stuff people could get from a paint store and simply add NaOH to make GHB. It was removed from the shelves and any sales required to be reported to the DEA since around 2001. 

though nothing is really preventing one from making it via a Sandmeyer reaction with GABA powder, which is a common health supplement. Basically, you mix molar quantities of pure GABA powder and sodium (or potassium) nitrite and a little more than enough water to get it into solution, and then put it on an ice bath. When it's cold, you can slowly drip muriatic acid on it, which combines with the NaNO2, making nitrous acid. This is keeping in mind a side reaction produces nitric oxide, which is oxidized into nitrogen dioxide, a brown poisonous gas you want to be certain you don't inhale. This side reaction is minimized if the solution is kept cold and dilute. You can then extract some of the GBL out of solution with a non-polar such as DCM (methylene cholide) and evaporate, or even better, distill it out, and then de-colorize it with activated carbon you can buy from a fishie store.

There are even non-analogues, for example I mentioned 2M2B in another thread. If you think these "legal" chemicals can't be as powerful as the stuff on the street, you should be aware that many fentanyl analogues, though of dubious legality, are still sold outright through mail order. It is a powerful drug, even more so than heroin, known as "china white" and is what Grace Slick from Jefferson Airplane died from. There have been many counterfeit prescription drugs and street drugs containing it, without the knowledge of the buyer. Kratom is a better choice for an opiate high, since it targets the same receptors but is self-limiting and doesn't carry anywhere near the same addiction potential most other opioids do. For people that enjoyed ketamine while it was still highly available could possibly benefit from knowing MXE (methoxetamine) is a (possibly) legal dissociative with hallucinogenic properties that most people like much better than ketamine. Instead of PCP, stick an ether group on it and you get 5-MeO-PCP which is similar if not basically the same as its notorious counterpart.

There are plenty of RC amphetamines and other stimulants, but even more conveniently you'll find Benzedrex in the store along with the other cold medication, which is an analog of methamphetamine and is highly structurally similar, only having a cyclohexane ring in place of the benzene ring. You can cut up the cotton inside the inhalers and ingest it, extract the propylhexedrine out of them with acidic water, or simply chew on them like I do if you don't mind having your mouth feel like it's on fire from the menthol, or feeling sick from the lavendar oil. It is highly recreational, being quite similar to meth, and lacking the shitty alpha-adrenergic effect you'll find with alpha-hydroxy containing phenylethylamines like ephedrine. Actually, this same trick could likely be applied to every phenylethylamine known to man to make a legal analog, or similarly by substituting with a theophine ring like they did with methiopropamine.

LSD was (or probably still is) sold on the internet as 1P-LSD. Apparently stick a propyl group on it and it works just the same, but has the side effect of making it legal, or at least enough to sell it to Americans trying to skirt by the law and buy drugs of a more assured quality. More ingenious ways to get around these laws have been discovered, like the ring-splitting 2-AI or the 4-halogen substituted difuran analogues of drugs like 2-CB, in this case Bromo-Dragonfly.

WHAT WILL THEY THINK OF NEXT

2 hours ago, Azure said:

Because nobody makes good fake heroin, and I love supporting terrorists worldwide. That powdered fentanyl crap just don't got the same feel as some genuine horse. 

From what I've read, some people actually prefer it. I've never tried Fentanyl however so I've got no basis of comparison :V

And yeah, heroin would be a bitch of a molecule to make. I bet coke would be easier. It is hard to get the enantiomerically pure isomer but I actually found a paper on just that (I'm not sure what the racemate would do since the other isomer could have negative effects or even be toxic).

Other than that, it's just tropane with two simple R groups. Morphine on the other hand is a huge heterocyclic beat.

Morphine to heroin is cake.

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

I think the bigger question is why not? I doubt any legal drug has the same psychedelic effects that cannabis has and if I want to make a little coin, I know it's going to sell well.  

There are tons of legal and illegal drugs with much stronger psychedelic effects as cannabis. Also, there is tons of supply for weed. 1P-LSD, MXE, DPT, Bromo-dragonfly, fuck.. even Hawaiian Baby Woodrose is more powerful.

You can find tons of examples.

3 hours ago, SirRob said:

TBH if I was a hardcore drug user (I mean I TOTALLY am, I'm a badass, everyone, and I demand respect) I'd probably be terrified to try makeshift stuff like that, because I would have no idea what I'm doing.

It's true, Rob once knifed me for a line of coke and snorted it off of the same knife. It was the most badass thing I ever saw, then I died.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Wrecker said:

Pretty sure it's just because blow has that amazing flavour.

You mean that numbing 'flavor' that makes me wanna gag? x3

I know most people like that but I can't stand it >.<

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

Ricky, the opening post is a bit of a text-wall and it has a lot of technical words which are not easy for the uninitiated to read. :\

True. I'm gonna leave it there for posterity's sake.

INFORMATION IS POWER :V

4 hours ago, SirRob said:

TBH if I was a hardcore drug user (I mean I TOTALLY am, I'm a badass, everyone, and I demand respect) I'd probably be terrified to try makeshift stuff like that, because I would have no idea what I'm doing.

Yeah, well in all honesty nobody knows the risks for sure since they haven't been used by as many people as the more common stuff.

That said, it's pretty apparent if something is really harmful and the best example I can think of is probably the N-BOMe series which has killed people by itself.

Still, most people who take it are fine, especially when it's not at unreasonable dosages.

I would totally do peyote if I could... it's really probably the only drug I would regularly use. Only while outdoors.

Sadly, don't have the means which is funny because some of my friends growing up were Comanches and their grandparents grew a stupid amount.

5 hours ago, Saxon said:

Ricky, the opening post is a bit of a text-wall and it has a lot of technical words which are not easy for the uninitiated to read. :\

How magnanimous of you to be concerned for the sensibilities of the smallfolk. :^)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sourdough said:

You're not dead! That's pretty neat.

Nope, just on a bit if a bender lately.

@Ricky

More often than not the practice is to cut the real heroin with the fentanyl powder shit, which is far inferior to the medical grade fentanyl you can harvest from the patches. Cutting it with the powdered fentanyl and some other trade secrets accomplishes the task of doubling your yield without losing much strength of product. When done inexpertly there are pockets of drug that are far higher concentration than the rest and people OD because of it, well that and not following the rules, like hey smoke a bit or do a test shot. Then you get Narcanned and you feel like shit and you wasted your money.

1 hour ago, Azure said:

More often than not the practice is to cut the real heroin with the fentanyl powder shit, which is far inferior to the medical grade fentanyl you can harvest from the patches. Cutting it with the powdered fentanyl and some other trade secrets accomplishes the task of doubling your yield without losing much strength of product. When done inexpertly there are pockets of drug that are far higher concentration than the rest and people OD because of it, well that and not following the rules, like hey smoke a bit or do a test shot. Then you get Narcanned and you feel like shit and you wasted your money.

Fentanyl is surprisingly easy to make:

fentanyl.siegfried.gif

There aren't even any precursors or reagents that are particularly hard to get or make, aside from maybe propionyl chloride, but you could probably use propionic acid under higher heat, which is a heck of a lot less dangerous and also easier to get. (it's watched, but I've ordered it just fine or you could just oxidize the hell out of the primary alcohol).

1 hour ago, Kosha said:

Reminder: there is a makeshift heroine being sold in Russia called Krokodil that rots people's skin.

No, the drug doesn't do that. Krokodil is desomorphine and one approach to making it is to simply cleave the alcohol with hydroiodic acid in the same way people make methamphetamine from (pseudo-)ephedrine. The general approach to making HI (and PI3 along with a bunch of other complicated inorganic stuff) is to mix red phosphorus and iodine crystals with a bit of water (these are watched, you can also just add iodine salts to concentrated H3PO4 as well, but this is not as well known). Red phosphorus is pretty much insoluble in everything, so simple filtration would remove it but somehow, for some unknown and unimaginable reason (not really) the ones making this shit were apparently TOO FUCKING LAZY to filter it, leaving red phosphorus and tons of other shit I'd imagine, and subsequently injecting the post-reaction mixture itself >.<

Red phosphorus destroys cartilage and this is what causes abscesses that could require amputation.

The desomorphine itself does not, and has been prescribed in various countries in the past.

1 hour ago, Hewge said:

It's cooler when you're not allowed to do it!

Lol, there's actually a fair amount of truth to this x3

10 hours ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

Do drugs even have a flavor...?

Besides possibly some weird medicinal plasticy taste?

I'm going to answer your question because it amuses me. Yes drugs have a flavor, Meth tastes like dryer sheets, heroin tastes like smelly feet and vinegar, and believe it or not, you can.buy flavored crack. That shit tastes like strawberries, or melon, or apples, or whatever the fuck. Regular crack just tastes like burning.  Any other questions?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

My impressionable young innocent mind is now clearly set on buying all the drugs because people on teh interwebz told me they taste good.

See the evil you all have wrought? Sweet, innocent Feelwell will never be as pure as the cocaine s/he will pay top dollar for ever again D:

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Sourdough said:

See the evil you all have wrought? Sweet, innocent Feelwell will never be as pure as the cocaine s/he will pay top dollar for ever again D:

I no longer feel well.

I feel bad because I've set a bad example.

On 6/12/2016 at 2:02 PM, Azure said:

I'm going to answer your question because it amuses me. Yes drugs have a flavor, Meth tastes like dryer sheets, heroin tastes like smelly feet and vinegar, and believe it or not, you can.buy flavored crack. That shit tastes like strawberries, or melon, or apples, or whatever the fuck. Regular crack just tastes like burning.  Any other questions?

Haha, wait REALLY? x3

I've never seen this but I haven't exactly made it a point to go out and find crack anyway. It's not a rare case that it comes to me though, especially if I happen to be in certain places downtown. The thing is, I've tried it many times and it doesn't do much except make me a bit agitated and want better drugs. That's a bit scary since I've done so many stimulants and amphetamines, most of which nobody has ever heard about, that meth heads find strong and I probably desensitized myself somewhere along the way.

On 6/12/2016 at 7:18 PM, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

My impressionable young innocent mind is now clearly set on buying all the drugs because people on teh interwebz told me they taste good.

... hawt <3

3 hours ago, Astus said:

The reason is that the government will just ban those drugs or make them prescription if people start abusing them :V

They already have been, ever since the Shulgin Drugs were sold online early this millennium. The problem is it takes so long to put legislation through and The Analog Act, their best attempt to thwart these things, often doesn't apply and the cops don't even know about the different ones out there. I went catatonic in a doorway in Downtown San Francisco after snorting about a gram (hugs amount) of MXE and they simply gave all my drugs back since they weren't even illegal. Same thing with 1,4-Butanediol a few times.

Yeah crack is pretty much a waste as a drug, it's that whole never enough, and most of it is weak as fuck. I met this scumfuck girl who showed me how to do the flavor thing, she was pretty cool. I remember when you were on that huge mexxy binge, talk about legal and fresh off the internet. But hey let's give legal Meth to the kids in the name of sweeping medical misdiagnosis. I'm depressed now, brb drugs

• Like 1

What about the drugs that are illegal and virtually harmless VS drugs that are legal and can totally fuck you up? That's the shit that blows me away. i speak from experience now as a former weed virgin. How the hell is this shit still a schedule 1 substance!? But opioids? Yeah, that's okay. it's legal. Just keep taking that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlusThirtyOne said:

What about the drugs that are illegal and virtually harmless VS drugs that are legal and can totally fuck you up? That's the shit that blows me away. i speak from experience now as a former weed virgin. How the hell is this shit still a schedule 1 substance!? But opioids? Yeah, that's okay. it's legal. Just keep taking that.

What about the ones they sell OTC at Walgreens? For all intents and purposes here is over the counter meth:

SA9Oi8o.jpg

Just now, Yarra said:

Yeah, and they add shitloads of Tylenol to them so these people get chronic liver failure and die. That's why anyone who takes hydrocodone etc recreationally I make sure they know how to extract it out using cold water.

1 hour ago, PlusThirtyOne said:

Maybe it's just because I don't smoke weed that often but the last time I had a few spots that really fucked me up, and I grew up around that shit. Granted I had a bit of wine beforehand so...

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Maybe it's just because I don't smoke weed that often but the last time I had a few spots that really fucked me up, and I grew up around that shit. Granted I had a bit of wine beforehand so...

Weed is often times a lot stronger right after you take a lot of acid.  I had that happen in sleep away camp when I was thirteen.

Hydros are more expensive and less effective than Oxies. Oxies don't have acetaminophen and the high is "warmer". i've been taking Oxy for the last year for my spine defect but i'd be lying if i said i didn't enjoy the warm'n'fuzzies it gives me. My doctor suggested i try THC and CBD instead so i made the switch last week.

Edibles were just made legal here without a card so i decided to give it a shot. i knew that edibles and pills worked better and longer than smoke and i don't like the smell of the smoke so i figured that would be the better route but god damn. i didn't understand how much more potent edibles are than smoke. i tried a smoke a couple of weeks ago out of desperation for relief and got a pleasant effect but i didn't realize the difference would be that significant.

O. M. G. i'm sold.

That being said: Kids,
DON'T DO DRUGS, MMKAY!!

12 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Oxys are also highly addictive, and deadly in combination with alcohol. (just ask the people in charge of FC what happened to me back in 2006, lol)

Kratom is probably the safest opioid to do, it is legal in the states, less addictive than any other opioid I know of and is self-limiting in dose.

i've never had any addiction problems or symptoms with Oxy. Obviously, i wasn't taking it recreationally but still. i've been wanting to get off of it, knowing that eventually i might. i can still get away with 10-15mg for half the day but i've read about people who need upwards of 50mg to get anything out of it. My dosage averages at about 20mg in a bad week. Doc refills my prescription so i can use it when i need it.

2 hours ago, PlusThirtyOne said:

i've never had any addiction problems or symptoms with Oxy. Obviously, i wasn't taking it recreationally but still. i've been wanting to get off of it, knowing that eventually i might. i can still get away with 10-15mg for half the day but i've read about people who need upwards of 50mg to get anything out of it. My dosage averages at about 20mg in a bad week. Doc refills my prescription so i can use it when i need it.

Yeah, you obviously won't have as bad of withdrawal at prescribed dosage.

It would be a lot easier to ween yourself off by decreasing the dosage too, when you do decide to quit.