Should pot be legal?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Should marijuana be legalized?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

2 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

Except it's also used medically to combat mental illness so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So is vitamin C ...there's not enough evidence to prove that marijuana cures diseases and cancer and even it was it wouldn't be used recreationally like it is now. They would just take the part that is responsible for the curing effect and probably turn it into a safe little tablet just like most drugs.  

27 minutes ago, Osrik said:

The thing is, it's already very easily accessed and heavily used, with its usage rivaling tobacco in some areas of the country.

It has already been seen that most government anti-drug campaigns have been dismal failures, so the best possible way for the use of the drug to be controlled would be through legalization, as this would allow the government more ability to regulate it.

It can be seen in the case of Prohibition that trying to remove these potentially damaging substances in the past has only made the situation worse, creating a black market and making the substance even more dangerous, so the only real way forwards given how widespread marijuana use is would be legalization and regulation, as this provides the best possibility of minimizing the negative impacts of the substance.

I don't agree that doing that would be any better since its accessibility would be too easy to get your hands on it. At least at the moment if you want to get pot you have to generally find a dealer or buy it on the dark web which is hard to access. So if you don't know a dealer and you don't know how to access one of the hardest reaches of the internet to buy it then your just simply stuck. Meanwhile having it legalized means that all it would take is to just go down to your nearest wall mart (aka Asda in UK) or small store owned by a Pakistani couple and buy it there. 

but i do agree that cracking down on drugs doesn't really work that well so unless the cannabis plant goes extinct i don't think we are going to get rid of this trade. 

6 minutes ago, shadowsinhiding said:

Meanwhile having it legalized means that all it would take is to just go down to your nearest wall mart (aka Asda in UK) or small store owned by a Pakistani couple and buy it there.

There's a store within walking distance of me owned by an Indian family that I can buy some from right now. The kids sell it and the parents look the other way. Same with a store owned by Mexican family that's even closer. I am the most socially oblivious person there is around here, and I know where I can buy weed.

It really isn't that hard to find. Even some of the police around here smoke and sell it. I'm pretty sure that's where our sheriff gets his - not that he'll openly admit it.

That's just my experience, though, so who knows. I may just be skilled when it comes to finding where to buy.

10 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

*deviously plants cannabis in every schoolyard*  :V

I'm pretty sure there was some being grown in a building right beside my middle school, and the faculty took a "Fuck if I care" stance on it.

One instructor even jokingly suggested I steal some to help with my anxiety.

5 minutes ago, MalletFace said:

There's a store within walking distance of me owned by an Indian family that I can buy some from right now. The kids sell it and the parents look the other way. Same with a store owned by Mexican family that's even closer. I am the most socially oblivious person there is around here, and I know where I can buy weed.

It really isn't that hard to find. Even some of the police around here smoke and sell it. I'm pretty sure that's where our sheriff gets his - not that he'll openly admit it.

That's just my experience, though, so who knows. I may just be skilled when it comes to finding where to buy.

yeah....i think that example only works where you live

Even if i wanted to smoke it i couldn't find diddly dick. :/

I'd say sure. Tax it, get revenue. Less stupid kids in jail for life. Less strain on the jail systems. Hemp could make cool shit since the mary jane plant grows p quick. More research into medicinal THC stuff for young kids with cancer and etc. 

I think its a neat plant for an industrious standpoint. If it were legal, I'd probably still not smoke it. (I might start a bakery though, lmao)

13 minutes ago, MalletFace said:

I'm pretty sure there was some being grown in a building right beside my middle school, and the faculty took a "Fuck if I care" stance on it.

One instructor even jokingly suggested I steal some to help with my anxiety.

Maybe he planted it! I'd imagine it might help keep some of the unruly kids more mellow. Which reminds me: I don't think I could be a teacher, unless I laced the school water supply with Valium, or something.

1 hour ago, shadowsinhiding said:

they are legal. I'm talking about alcohol and tobacco, without going into too much details both of these things have bad effects on people and are responsible for causing cancer with certain amounts of usage and has also claimed thousands of lives every year. 

marijuana is no different, it causes mental illness, been known to lower IQ and even  causes infertility in some cases. It can also be addictive to certain people despite popular belief. 

the way you've phrased this, the claim would make sense, however the effects of tobacco are significantly worse than marijuana. where marijuana can have a number of medicinal uses, tobacco has been studied and suggested that there is absolutely no positive effect on the body other than potentially lowering the risk of heart problems slightly (a positive effect which vanishes on those who quit). 

marijuana's effects are rarely fatal, meanwhile smoking only exists because there is a long history of tobacco companies skewing information on the statistics and unsafe side effects of it. the differences between the two drugs are becoming a social one, and to be honest i would rather see tobacco continue to be banned while marijuana takes it's place.

just something to consider.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

My problem with stoners <;

4MiRbyV.jpg

A gross and inaccurate generalization. No one I have ever met who smokes weed acts like this. This is more Call of Duty kids who spout le memes they got from 4Chan from mock montage videos.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

You should support my right to not be healthy

Quit trying to control my life MOM

Go ahead! Do what you want. Break my heart!

3 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

If we're gonna make marijuana illegal because it's unhealthy, we should also ban the sale of McDonald's, hot dogs, and anime.

Yes, yes and only if you're a weebo

4 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

A gross and inaccurate generalization. No one I have ever met who smokes weed acts like this. This is more Call of Duty kids who spout le memes they got from 4Chan from mock montage videos.

People I have met do act degrading towards me when I tell them I'm not going to smoke with them. 

It doesn't bother me in the slightest though because I'm just like "lmao ur high, go home"

2 hours ago, Lemon said:

I'd say sure. Tax it, get revenue. Less stupid kids in jail for life. Less strain on the jail systems. Hemp could make cool shit since the mary jane plant grows p quick. More research into medicinal THC stuff for young kids with cancer and etc. 

I think its a neat plant for an industrious standpoint. If it were legal, I'd probably still not smoke it. (I might start a bakery though, lmao)

I was gonna make a Pastry of <feeling> pun, but I don't know what good feeling would work there

Just now, Falaffel said:

People I have met do act degrading towards me when I tell them I'm not going to smoke with them. 

It doesn't bother me in the slightest though because I'm just like "lmao ur high, go home"

Yeah. I'm sure there are dudebros just like the people who brag about how much they drink. But it's not everyone as you seem to have realized, not a big deal at all. 

Just now, XoPachi said:

Yeah. I'm sure there are dudebros just like the people who brag about how much they drink. But it's not everyone as you seem to have realized, not a big deal at all. 

Oh absolutely, they're the same types of people. I wasn't really making the generalization, I was just pointing out the fact that they do exist. Those people I met are only representative of about 10% of the people I know who smoke it. It's absolutely not a big deal. 

I should have been more clear.

3 hours ago, Lemon said:

I would not be surprised if part of the real reason marijuana was made illegal was because paper and logging companies didn't want the competition. Paper, rope, and clothing from hemp is hella-cheaper because it grows much faster than trees and other stuff.

4 hours ago, shadowsinhiding said:

there's not enough evidence to prove that marijuana cures diseases and cancer and even it was it wouldn't be used recreationally like it is now. They would just take the part that is responsible for the curing effect and probably turn it into a safe little tablet just like most drugs.

5 hours ago, shadowsinhiding said:

marijuana is no different, it causes mental illness, been known to lower IQ and even  causes infertility in some cases. It can also be addictive to certain people despite popular belief. 

sorry but why would you want to bring out another drug that does damage to its users to the public anyway? Think about the fact that it would be easy for children to get their hands on it. Smoking anything in general can damage a developing brain 

just not worth it in general, people are stupid, they are just going to abuse stuff like this if it becomes legal and easy to access

Please tell me you're trolling lmfao

1 hour ago, Another Ampers& said:

omg yes it fucking sucks, same reasoning for it too

did you get the surgery? I Got it but only in one lung, the other one I still have to worry about :/

No it wasnt that bad so they just had me rest overnight and that was it. Glad I didnt have to, it seems like it would be very uncomfortable.

16 hours ago, shadowsinhiding said:

yeah....i think that example only works where you live

Even if i wanted to smoke it i couldn't find diddly dick. :/

I checked it out, and apparently it generally isn't.

By the best guess of federal agencies, about 15% of adults over 18 in the U.S. and Canada and under 10% of adults over 18 in the Netherlands and U.K. used marijuana at least once in the past year. When you look at the history and culture surrounding marijuana use, those numbers make sense.

In Colorado, where recreational marijuana is legal, that average goes to about 20%. To put that in perspective, Alabama and Colorado have similar populations, and that 5% difference amounts to only around 300,000 more people using in Colorado than Alabama.

Across the U.S., you'd have an increase of about 10-20 million persons, which isn't that much when you consider the 320 million people there are in the country. That's without considering the fact that the original percentage may be - and probably is - low. As such, it isn't very hard to get it anywhere, and isn't much easier where it is legal.

The increase would be much less stark in the U.K. and the Netherlands than it would be in the U.S. simply because

tapICdy.jpg

and a population to go with it, but the increase would probably be proportional.

12 hours ago, grassfed said:

No it wasnt that bad so they just had me rest overnight and that was it. Glad I didnt have to, it seems like it would be very uncomfortable.

yeah they have to cut off a portion of your lung and staple it back shut. I had to get the surgery because that lung collapsed 2 times in like 3 months

On 7/25/2016 at 7:57 AM, LadyRadarEars said:

I would not be surprised if part of the real reason marijuana was made illegal was because paper and logging companies didn't want the competition. Paper, rope, and clothing from hemp is hella-cheaper because it grows much faster than trees and other stuff.

I must be a nerd, because the manufacturing purposes for it sound more interesting than it's use as a narcotic, also apparently it's a very water thirsty crop, because it can chew up water more than the average vineyard. - Tough luck California.

• Like 2

Actually, hemp and marijuana are distinct. Hemp has fewer flowers and overall very little THC, and as such is not useful for recreational purposes. Marijuana on the other hand has been bred to produce many flowers and has high levels of THC at the expense of the long fibers that make hemp useful. As such it is not good for industrial purposes.

Legislation regarding both sometimes overlap because the varieties are so similar. In the US cultivation of hemp hasn't been legal very long, and only about half of the state's have in agricultural programs relating to it (outside of university settings.) Legalizing marijuana will probably have little to no effect on the hemp industry.