Should Marijuana Be Legal?

Hux

Should pot be legal?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Should marijuana be legalized?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Yep. It's already decriminalized here in Maryland, and legal in DC, so you see a lot of it here, and I've not noted any problems. Just better prices, and perhaps a glut in supply, as more people are growing indoors.

What's curious is how common it is to smell it being smoked outside, in Baltimore and DC, and the greater area. It's become very ordinary.

Also, I like that people don't get as worked up, loud and mean as they can when they get drunk. They might get lazy. But I was thinking: you frequently hear of a 'drunken brawl', but seldom, if ever, hear of a 'stoned brawl'.

Marijuana's already legal, here.

I have noticed a jump in crime here since it was decriminalized and legalized in recreational shops, but I blame that less on the effects of the drug directly, and more on people piling up here to get it, and not having enough space and enough jobs to support the influx.

Once / if it becomes decentralized, I expect the problem to lessen.

2 minutes ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

Yes, just heavily tax and regulate it like smoking and drinking.

And ban it from public places. You wanna smoke pot? Cool. Do it at home and not at places like the park around kids.

No!

What kind of person demands more taxes?

If you're going to make it legal it should just be legal period. 

No taxes. No regulations. 

I'm sick of people begging the government to oppress them. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

No!

What kind of person demands more taxes?

If you're going to make it legal it should just be legal period. 

No taxes. No regulations. 

I'm sick of people begging the government to oppress them. 

Then I think you misunderstand me.

I despise marijuana. I think that people who smoke it are obnoxious and pushy about it. You want to smoke pot recreationally? Cool. Do it in designated places away from everyone else.

It should be regulated. Its a psychotropic drug. I don't think kids should be given free access to it the same as I don't think they should be allowed to smoke or buy booze until they're at least 18. Teenagers have horrible judgement and impulse control. Let their brains settle before we start giving them easy access to these things.

And I see no reason it shouldn't be taxed and regulated. The people I see whining the most about not doing that are the growers who want to sell their "medical marijuana."

And as an aside I hate that phrase. "Medical marijuana" its such an absolute joke. You do NOT need to grow your own pot if you're using it for medical reasons. Its just a -wink wink nudge nudge- deal that feels like a spit in the eye of the people who really DO need it medically. A phrase being abused by those that just like to get high.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

Then I think you misunderstand me.

I despise marijuana. I think that people who smoke it are obnoxious and pushy about it. You want to smoke pot recreationally? Cool. Do it in designated places away from everyone else.

It should be regulated. Its a psychotropic drug. I don't think kids should be given free access to it the same as I don't think they should be allowed to smoke or buy booze until they're at least 18. Teenagers have horrible judgement and impulse control. Let their brains settle before we start giving them easy access to these things.

And I see no reason it shouldn't be taxed and regulated. The people I see whining the most about not doing that are the growers who want to sell their "medical marijuana."

And as an aside I hate that phrase. "Medical marijuana" its such an absolute joke. You do NOT need to grow your own pot if you're using it for medical reasons. Its just a -wink wink nudge nudge- deal that feels like a spit in the eye of the people who really DO need it medically. A phrase being abused by those that just like to get high.

No I don't misunderstand you. You're uptight and need to smoke some weed and relax. Plus taxation is theft. Legal stuff should be legal. That's all. 

• Like 2

Just now, #00Buck said:

No I don't misunderstand you. You're uptight and need to smoke some weed and relax. Plus taxation is theft. Legal stuff should be legal. That's all. 

But what about illegal stuff? What can we do with it? Can we fuck it?

Just now, #00Buck said:

Pardon me for not wanting people to be getting high around kids <; I had no idea that my thoughts on this matter stemmed from my inability to relax.

I will now proceed to unclench my butthole because you told me this. Thank you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hux said:

But what about illegal stuff? What can we do with it? Can we fuck it?

You go Uhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Then you go oohhhhhhhh ahhhhhh!!!!!

3 minutes ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

Pardon me for not wanting people to be getting high around kids <; I had no idea that my thoughts on this matter stemmed from my inability to relax.

I will now proceed to unclench my butthole because you told me this. Thank you.

See 4:20 blaze it and you be okay.

Who's going to hire somebody who is legally high on marijuana?

How then are they going to continue legally buying that marijuana?

I'm ok with people using it, but it's not some over-the-counter drug that anyone should be able to buy. It needs to be restricted and regulated - for the buyer's sake.

1 minute ago, LadyRadarEars said:

My inner child, who wanted to be astronaut president empress of the world, says yes, so that she can tax it into the ground in order to build a mountain of plushies that reaches space.

Your inner child needs to stop smoking and get a fucking job.

I support decriminalization, not full on legalization. Legalization of recreational cannabis always seems to destroy the current medical system that was already in place. If they could leave the smaller Medical growers alone then that would be fine, but that just doesnt happen. The new laws/regulations regarding rec here are really going to make it hard for the smaller producers, which have been the ones doing it for years if not decades, to keep growing and providing for their patients.

I have pretty mixed feelings about it..

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Vitaly said:

This poll upsets Jesus

But Jesus was a long-haired-pot-smoking-hippie, as told in The Bible. Surely, The Lord will smile upon this thread, or at least those who praise weed, and smite those who oppose it.

1 hour ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

You wanna smoke pot? Cool. Do it at home and not at places like the park around kids.

I can see where this would be mean, if you weren't willing to share; that would teach bad manners.

8 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

But Jesus was a long-haired-pot-smoking-hippie, as told in The Bible. Surely, The Lord will smile upon this thread, or at least those who praise weed, and smite those who oppose it.

'Tis true, haven't you guys read the Book of Christ?

yes, I support its legalization with 2 caveats

1) It should be restricted in the same way Cigarettes are. This is kind of obvious, age restrictions and designated no smoking zones etc but tbh I think the restrictions need to be taken more seriously by law enforcement / private security / the public. I have a potentially fatal lung disease (spontaneous pneumothorax :'D) that gets triggered by unclean air, smog and cigarettes and the like. If more people are going to be smoking in public due to legalization of weed I'd really like for everyone to be more considerate of the people around them as far as second hand smoke is concerned

2) Anyone arrested for possession or sale of marijuana should be immediately released from prison, or, be retried on their OTHER misdemeanors with the marijuana related charges dropped. This just makes sense, if we're going to say that there's nothing ethically or morally wrong with the possession or sale of marijuana then people shouldn't be still in jail for it

• Like 9

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

...is my default response without knowing the effects of it. Le drugs tend to be surrounded by common bias and myth scares of how terrible it is. In the same vein as normies shun alcohol and sex and energy drinks and smoking. Most of that could or could potentially be bad for you, depending on the person themselves and their habits with it. Most of those things certainly are bad for you in large quantities.

I used to be on le dare program programming to avoid all drugs ever, but I mean, eh. There's no reason to do it if other methods could be tried, but assuming no long-term harm is made, no reason not to either. Anything from one time to occassionally to loosen up is all good.

Regarding marijuana specifically, the research and statistical/anecdotal evidence pretty much shows there is little to no long-term damage (and benefits even.) Pretty sure the worst of it tends to be not from the drug itself but the lazy stoners claiming its the best thing ever and demanding it be legal because its a magical godsend, kind of like higher-than-thou vape culture (not saying this is the general attitude among all stoners, however)

So yeah, TL;DR its all about knowing firsthand the effects before going in, thats pretty much all there is to it. Risk vs. Reward, and overall benefit vs. what negative effects could come of it

I honestly don't see the point of changing the current system.

What podunk states do you still live in where you can't just go to Dr. Reeferalz (literally a place my roommates got their medical card from) complaining of chronic back pain or loss of appetite and get a free pass to all of the dank kush you want?

People talk about doing it openly all the time, everyone does it, no one cares anymore; stop trying to ruin a good thing by letting the government get it's grubby mitts all over it.

Oh and maybe don't be an idiot and try to sell drugs to undercover cops pretending to be college students lmao.

• Like 3

I don't see any reason why not.

It's already like pseudo-legal with "medical marijuana" and it's generally no more harmful than a cigarette or something. I mean last time I checked Amsterdam hasn't burned down yet, and if making it legal means stoners can finally shut up about legalizing it then I can't say no.

15 hours ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

[Foamy the Squirrel]

Is this 2003?

• Like 5

Its safer than every other legalized drug, so yeah! Of course! Plus it'd give each state and the country itself another thing to tax, which is money that can be used to make the country a better place.

The only thing is, is that if it were legalized, I would want it to be disallowed from being smoked indoors in public places.

Funnily enough, I'd love it for marijuana to be legalized, but I'd also love it if cigarettes and cigars were made illegal. Tobacco is more unhealthy than marijuana, and I'm tired of having to smell it every time I step out the door in a public place. Leave my lungs alone.

4 hours ago, #00Buck said:

All the begging for restrictions and taxation is hilarious. 

You all need Daddy to tell you how to behave.

That is why Trump will win the next election. 

Trump 2016 build a wall roll a joint. 

B-but.... Jill Stein...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Yes, but only because it'd be such a huge profit-maker.

And only if it was regulated like tobacco and alcohol because it is in the same vein as them. Recreational.

But otherwise, I really don't give to fucks about it. Just don't shove it in my face and I'm fine.

The whole profit maker argument for marijuana is meh to me. 

Prostitution should be legal before any more substances. It would put a hit on human trafficking, control the spread of STDs and 'make a profit'. Under correct regulation workers would have regular check-ups, be better protected and probably have a better quality of life.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

If we're gonna make marijuana illegal because it's unhealthy, we should also ban the sale of McDonald's, hot dogs, and anime.

Also the internet, smartphones, automobiles, home swimming pools, and all forms of candy.

Basically the world would not be worth living in :V

• Like 1

Well here's the thing, look at the most commonly used drugs and look at what they have in common. 

they are legal. I'm talking about alcohol and tobacco, without going into too much details both of these things have bad effects on people and are responsible for causing cancer with certain amounts of usage and has also claimed thousands of lives every year. 

marijuana is no different, it causes mental illness, been known to lower IQ and even  causes infertility in some cases. It can also be addictive to certain people despite popular belief. 

sorry but why would you want to bring out another drug that does damage to its users to the public anyway? Think about the fact that it would be easy for children to get their hands on it. Smoking anything in general can damage a developing brain 

just not worth it in general, people are stupid, they are just going to abuse stuff like this if it becomes legal and easy to access

13 minutes ago, shadowsinhiding said:

Well here's the thing, look at the most commonly used drugs and look at what they have in common. 

they are legal. I'm talking about alcohol and tobacco, without going into too much details both of these things have bad effects on people and are responsible for causing cancer with certain amounts of usage and has also claimed thousands of lives every year. 

marijuana is no different, it causes mental illness, been known to lower IQ and even  causes infertility in some cases. It can also be addictive to certain people despite popular belief. 

sorry but why would you want to bring out another drug that does damage to its users to the public anyway? Think about the fact that it would be easy for children to get their hands on it. Smoking anything in general can damage a developing brain 

just not worth it in general, people are stupid, they are just going to abuse stuff like this if it becomes legal and easy to access

The thing is, it's already very easily accessed and heavily used, with its usage rivaling tobacco in some areas of the country.

It has already been seen that most government anti-drug campaigns have been dismal failures, so the best possible way for the use of the drug to be controlled would be through legalization, as this would allow the government more ability to regulate it.

It can be seen in the case of Prohibition that trying to remove these potentially damaging substances in the past has only made the situation worse, creating a black market and making the substance even more dangerous, so the only real way forwards given how widespread marijuana use is would be legalization and regulation, as this provides the best possibility of minimizing the negative impacts of the substance.

31 minutes ago, shadowsinhiding said:

Except it's also used medically to combat mental illness so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1