Mattress company makes a "tasteful" 9/11 themed commercial

DevilishlyHandsome49

Just now, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

Oh its real. Here's the tweet they sent regarding their closing

Check out @barrientosjamie's Tweet:

Yeah I saw. I just can't wrap my around around somebody not going, "Hey guys, this uh... might be a bad idea. Just saying."
It's simply mind blowing. How did this even get accepted to air on a network?!

20 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Ok, so it's like 7:30 am so I don't have my sound on, so at first I was wondering what was so offensive about this, but then I saw them fall into the mattresses and it all just clicked. Who thought that was a good idea? I'm not really offended myself, but damn they didn't really think did they?

The majority of the remainder is the saleswoman making puns about 'twin discounts' and telling customers they will 'never forget' this sale.

11 hours ago, Socketosis said:

Yeah I saw. I just can't wrap my around around somebody not going, "Hey guys, this uh... might be a bad idea. Just saying."
It's simply mind blowing. How did this even get accepted to air on a network?!

based on the acting I would not be surprised if these 3 ppl were part of a family that owned the store, filmed their own commercial, brother and sister and one of their kids (look at how much they all resemble eachother)

but anyway I thought ppl were really into the idea that businesses shouldn't feel pressured to alter their products or close down over #controvercial #opinions and their feedom of speech or w/e

real excited to see the half hour total biscuit vid about how hypersensative snowflakes shut down a family business

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Another Ampers& said:

based on the acting I would not be surprised if these 3 ppl were part of a family that owned the store, filmed their own commercial, brother and sister and one of their kids (look at how much they all resemble eachother)

but anyway I thought ppl were really into the idea that businesses shouldn't feel pressured to alter their products or close down over #controvercial #opinions and their feedom of speech or w/e

real excited to see the half hour total biscuit vid about how hypersensative snowflakes shut down a family business

If they shut down because nobody wanted to do business with them, that would be fair enough (although it must suck for any employees not involved with this dumb-tardery).

If they shut down because they got bomb threats or something, then you know, then there are two parties in the wrong.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Another Ampers& said:

but anyway I thought ppl were really into the idea that businesses shouldn't feel pressured to alter their products or close down over #controvercial #opinions and their feedom of speech

real excited to see the half hour total biscuit vid about how hypersensative snowflakes shut down a family business or w/e

Honestly if a business is retarded enough to make an ad mocking the anniversary of the worst terror attack in US history, they probably weren't gonna stay in business very long anyways.

I mean I personally don't care about 9/11 jokes since I'm an asshole, but like...c'mon. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sylver said:

It amazes me how they thought, "You know how people are still really sensitive and care about 9/11? Let's appeal to customers by making jokes about it." and then actually went through with it.

Maybe they aren't lying when they say their prices are so low, you'll think they're crazy.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sylver said:

I spent a minute Googling and apparently the video was posted on Facebook without her knowledge or approval.

What I don't understand is why they made it in the first place. Anyone with half a brain would know it's a bad idea to even create a video like that. Maybe I'm being cynical, but it makes me wonder if she did it on purpose knowing this would happen. Temporarily shutting her business down until the storm blows over would obviously cost her a bit in sales, but the tonne of free advertisement she's getting will likely pay off in the long run. The type of people she's attracting are likely more vulnerable to emotional manipulation as well. It looks like she's a naive woman who made a mistake and is now a victim. She's cried in front of cameras, apologized, and completely accepted responsibility for her actions. Her accepting responsibility and publicly crying will likely dampen the motivation to attack her online, and instead people might see her as a victim and feel sorry for her.

There's no way to prove anything though. Even if she re-opens her store in 1-2 months.

Maybe I'm just a cynical prick =/

I wouldn't attribute maniacal planning whether stupidity is a sufficient explanation.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sylver said:

It's been 15 years since 9/11. It's time for America to harden the fuck up and move on.

Apparently the tens of thousands who die far more horrific deaths around the world aren't as important because they don't speak English, look a little different, and aren't within a highlighted section of land labelled "America."

Lmao

wjat

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Sylver said:

It's been 15 years since 9/11. It's time for America to harden the fuck up and move on.

Apparently the tens of thousands who die far more horrific deaths around the world aren't as important because they don't speak English, look a little different, and aren't within a highlighted section of land labelled "America."

Agreed. 

Plus, I thought the ad was pretty funny, as fas as 'corny late night local small business ads go.' Not wise, but it did make me laugh.

30 minutes ago, Sylver said:

My post was cringy as fuck. It was meant to be more of a chilled out response, but at the last minute I thought "fuck it, let's edit it" and ended up sounding like the average tumblr user.

it looked straight from tumblr

like literally smh fam like L ITERALL Y

On 9/9/2016 at 9:51 PM, Sylver said:

People don't really get over that kind of thing anywhere, and if anything I would think the problem is that America is too insensitive to such tragedies.

On 9/10/2016 at 6:51 AM, Sylver said:

Yea, but this ruined modern America's safety illusion like they never could be attack. Was a good excuse to start bombing schools in Iraq too, to brake even with Muslims.

7 hours ago, Sylver said:

I dunno. When you break it down 9/11 doesn't seem like that big of a deal. It's just a few people dying, only in one location and at the same time. Sure, one person caused all of it, but you could argue that people in power kill thousands of people indirectly/directly. 

It was a group of people that caused it and the death toll was in the thousands, but I think the real reason people are still mourning this is because many adults (and kids at the time like me) actually got to see the plane hit the 2nd tower as it happened. It was broadcast all over the world and I still remember the people jumping to their deaths. I really hope I never see that sort of thing ever again. 

9/11 really did change the world. And I think you're dead on about the fact that it removed forever that veil of invincibility we had in the 90's. So much of our current day life can trace it's roots back to that day, its not really over. 

• Like 1

I will not lie. I do love me some good offensive tragedy jokes. But professional establishments doing something cringeworthy not to make a good joke, but for profit? Eh....
Also, there's the whole factor of only saying certain things around certain people. I say some maliciously horrible shit around my personal circle of friends that I wouldn't DARE repeat in any other social sector. I would not make 9/11 jokes, or whatever this was supposed to be, just publicly like this commercial.

It really does mainly boil down to taste for me.

8 hours ago, Sylver said:

-snip-

I think what made 9/11 so significant was that it was one of the worst(or arguably the worst) terrorist attacks to occur in the US and within a time where cameras were pretty common. The fact that news stations managed to capture the second plane hitting on live television was a huge shock to people everywhere. It went from "Oh a plane crashed into one of the towers" to "Oh fuck we're under attack" in a split second. Seeing the confusion on reporters' faces and the sheer panic as people fled was surreal. It was a really shocking event at the time and I remember people here up in Canada spreading the news through word of mouth like wildfire.

I realize terrible stuff happens all over the world everyday though. We never seem to care much until it hits close to home for some reason.

1 hour ago, Johanna Waya said:

It would be nice if people remembered the Oklahoma City bombing before putting racism into a tragedy, but I guess that is how they cope.

Yeah until 9/11, that was our big tragedy. It makes right wingers look bad though so you don't hear about it too much. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Butters said:

Yeah until 9/11, that was our big tragedy. It makes right wingers look bad though so you don't hear about it too much. 

Talking about terrorism in the U.S. outside of 9/11 tends to make America, American ideologies, and American allies look bad. Talking about terrorism in the abstract tends to do the same.

Americans apparently don't like that and refrain from doing so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1