General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

1 hour ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

I feel like I've stopped caring, but in a good way.

I'm just gonna get comfortable and be a mess the way I want to be. I feel somewhat liberated really.

And thus the evolution of a furry has come full circle.

Amen.

• Like 3

A bit of random stuff. I met with a professor today to talk about research with him about reactor physics. He was raised in the Soviet Union. He studied soviet graphite reactors at one point. The only graphite reactors in the soviet union were the RBMK-1000 (the same design as Chernobyl). He's still interested in having me as a researcher with him. This is going to be interesting.

• Like 2

Yay! The Company has announced a 'Winterfest' party for next week. It's almost identical to the holiday party we had last year before Christmas, except no free booze and employee's only.

1 hour ago, U-235 said:

A bit of random stuff. I met with a professor today to talk about research with him about reactor physics. He was raised in the Soviet Union. He studied soviet graphite reactors at one point. The only graphite reactors in the soviet union were the RBMK-1000 (the same design as Chernobyl). He's still interested in having me as a researcher with him. This is going to be interesting.

Sweet! That sounds awesome! What kind of research on reactors are you hoping to do?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

Sweet! That sounds awesome! What kind of research on reactors are you hoping to do?

Mainly how do we set up the fuel and core design so the physics allow the fuel burn up more efficiently and generate less waste. It's all computational though.

• Like 1

We should build a bunch of nuclear power plants across the USA.

Us personally, as in Phoenix'd members. I think we'd do okay.

I believe in you!

Let's do it.

Free electricity for all.

I'll need a lot of power to keep my heavy-duty sexbot running. So will the rest of America. We'll all have sexbots.

Coal is dirty and primitive. So is gas. Solar panels hurt my eyes. Windmills give people depression.

Nuclear power gives us third arms. The extra arm will come in handy when we have to fight off the sexbot rebellion.

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, Hux said:

Nuclear power gives us third arms. The extra arm will come in handy when we have to fight off the sexbot rebellion.

If you want a third arm just visit the (former) lake Karachay. The soviets really did a number on that one with it being right next to the Mayak nuclear fuel reprocessing and cladding site. What do you do with all that radioactive liquid waste? Dump it all into a semi-isolated lake! Who'd ever know!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, U-235 said:

If you want a third arm just visit the (former) lake Karachay. The soviets really did a number on that one with it being right next to the Mayak nuclear fuel reprocessing and cladding site. What do you do with all that radioactive liquid waste? Dump it all into a semi-isolated lake! Who'd ever know!

Brb getting my gas mask and fishing pole.

Everybody's gonna want to give Hux high fives. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2017 at 2:30 PM, DrGravitas said:

Nah, they have enough problems just trying to maintain sanity while staring into corporate bureaucracy. Gotta build up a tolerance against that stuff. Plus being dumped in ineffectual mandatory trainings, grappling with our processes, and (usually) adjusting to a new place where they don't know anybody.

Plus, HR would probably hang me from the atrium balcony.

You keep telling me it's okay to go into programming yet your job sounds like non-stop meetings, bureaucracy, corporate bullshit, wastes of time, and utter insanity.

20 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

You keep telling me it's okay to go into programming yet your job sounds like non-stop meetings, bureaucracy, corporate bullshit, wastes of time, and utter insanity.

Heh, true I tend to highlight the absurdities but the mundane moments aren't great for conversation ;) I have, from time-to-time, highlighted the joys inherent in my programming endeavors. I'm sad to say the interesting work is less common these days on this particular project. But, the beauty of the field is (if you are flexible) you can find new and more suitable opportunities. Just today a headhunter came to me with a new opportunity for a senior developer position. The commute to downtown would be a pain, so I don't think I'll switch but it's nice to know there are options.

If the endless meetings and bureaucratic labyrinth isn't your thing, just steer clear of the big corporate gigs and aim more for small shop ops. Everything has its plusses and minuses and no outfit is a perfect fit, but with the opportunities available in the field it's a good bet you'll find a good fit.

24 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

The office is crawling with stinkbugs. This mild winter is doing us no favors in that regard this year.

I hear there's a certain type of Asiatic Wasp that eats these bugs, that they've considered shipping over. Maybe your office can be a testing place?

Also, I saw these tips:

- Vacuum them. This also will help kill stink bug eggs. But dispose of the vacuum bag, maybe dousing it with some insecticide as you set it in the trash can.

- Attract them. Use a wide-mouth can. Fill with an inch of water, sweet-scented dish soap, and a little cooking oil on top. Make sure that pets cannot lick this trap. The sweet smell lures the bugs; the oil smothers their discharge; the soapy water smothers them as they sink.

- Exterminate them with commercially available insecticides. But apply the chemicals outside. If you do so when they are in your walls, you could attract carpet beetles that feed on their carcasses and potentially your woolens.

- Repel them. They don't like the smell of garlic — if you can handle it.

- Block them. Caulk small openings and cracks in your house or elsewhere to keep them out of structures. Repair damaged screens.

~

Personally, I'd go with the garlic option. Just smear some fresh cloves over as much surface area as you can. Your office will thank you later.

7 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

I hear there's a certain type of Asiatic Wasp that eats these bugs, that they've considered shipping over. Maybe your office can be a testing place?

Nah, nah, nah. I know where this one ends: frozen gorilla corpses.

13 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Also, I saw these tips:

- Vacuum them. This also will help kill stink bug eggs. But dispose of the vacuum bag, maybe dousing it with some insecticide as you set it in the trash can.

- Attract them. Use a wide-mouth can. Fill with an inch of water, sweet-scented dish soap, and a little cooking oil on top. Make sure that pets cannot lick this trap. The sweet smell lures the bugs; the oil smothers their discharge; the soapy water smothers them as they sink.

- Exterminate them with commercially available insecticides. But apply the chemicals outside. If you do so when they are in your walls, you could attract carpet beetles that feed on their carcasses and potentially your woolens.

- Repel them. They don't like the smell of garlic — if you can handle it.

- Block them. Caulk small openings and cracks in your house or elsewhere to keep them out of structures. Repair damaged screens.

~

Personally, I'd go with the garlic option. Just smear some fresh cloves over as much surface area as you can. Your office will thank you later.

The building is too old and too big for simple repairs, plus it's smack-dab in tge middle of the woods. Pesticide treatments haven't amounted to much, though it's kept other bugs away mostly. I think they've infested the walls. Vacuuming the office isn't much of an option either.

A couple coworkers tried the trap thing a while back. It was midly effective but there's just too many over to big a space. Plus, the trap stunk up the place when it worked.

Haven't heard the garlic one, might be worth a shot. Admin probably wouldn't like it though.

3 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

Nah, nah, nah. I know where this one ends: frozen gorilla corpses.

The building is too old and too big for simple repairs, plus it's smack-dab in tge middle of the woods. Pesticide treatments haven't amounted to much, though it's kept other bugs away mostly. I think they've infested the walls. Vacuuming the office isn't much of an option either.

A couple coworkers tried the trap thing a while back. It was midly effective but there's just too many over to big a space. Plus, the trap stunk up the place when it worked.

Haven't heard the garlic one, might be worth a shot. Admin probably wouldn't like it though.

If pesticides don't work you're not using harsh enough chemicals. Here:

https://m.alibaba.com/product/60587492764/High-quality-99-4-4-DDT.html?spm=a2706.7843667.1998817009.6.ewRRzb

Kill them. And when more insects come to feast upon the corpses of their vermin comrades, kill them as well. Administer holy justice, ruthlessly and at discount prices. Kill them all. And put a little in your supervisor' coffee; if he doesn't like garlic he's probably an insect, too. In fact he's probably their leader.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

The office is crawling with stinkbugs. This mild winter is doing us no favors in that regard this year.

For a minute I thought you were referring to your coworkers as stinkbugs.

4 hours ago, Jtrekkie said:

If pesticides don't work you're not using harsh enough chemicals. Here:

https://m.alibaba.com/product/60587492764/High-quality-99-4-4-DDT.html?spm=a2706.7843667.1998817009.6.ewRRzb

We need to bring back DDT. Was a hell of a pesticide.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LazerMaster5 said:

Burning Man has a furry tent? They don't just overheat in the desert sun?

http://furryburners.com/wp/

Yup. As far as fursuiting goes, I've seen a few videos of fursuiters running around at night.

I'd probably rather go to burning man and hang with the furries there than go to Anthrocon tbqh

My playa name will simply be Hux and my art project will be a giant stainless steel dragon dildo clock that spews a pillar of fire every hour, on the hour.

The young ones will tell stories of my glory.

"And there was Hux. Stoned, drunk, and sexually bombastic he had taken to incinerating hipsters with a flame-throwing dildo clock. 

Some say he still wanders the desert to this day, just as intoxicated as ever."

LEGENDARY

• Like 3

Does anyone know the name of the position one would be if their duties include administering vaccinations?

Now that I'm going back to school Im trying to think of what options I have going forward, currently studying Medical Labortory Technician certification centered around phlebotomy, from there I could take a two year course in General Medical Laboratory Technican or Veterinary Technician, Im torn because MLT gives me more workforce options plus I love the idea of testing specimens in a lab setting, but I would miss the factor of being able to work with animals in a clinical setting if I did that which is something I have also planned on doing.

Both of which share the significance in being 2 year educations with similar requirements, I was wondering if a career is vaccinating services is anything similar, I cant seem to figure out what keywords to use hence google searching is in vain so I figured I'd ask advice either someone in career services or a forum full of smart furries, whichever I can potentially access first? *shrug*

39 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Does anyone know the name of the position one would be if their duties include administering vaccinations?

Now that I'm going back to school Im trying to think of what options I have going forward, currently studying Medical Labortory Technician certification centered around phlebotomy, from there I could take a two year course in General Medical Laboratory Technican or Veterinary Technician, Im torn because MLT gives me more workforce options plus I love the idea of testing specimens in a lab setting, but I would miss the factor of being able to work with animals in a clinical setting if I did that which is something I have also planned on doing.

Both of which share the significance in being 2 year educations with similar requirements, I was wondering if a career is vaccinating services is anything similar, I cant seem to figure out what keywords to use hence google searching is in vain so I figured I'd ask advice either someone in career services or a forum full of smart furries, whichever I can potentially access first? *shrug*

I don't believe vaccine administration is a specialized role with a specific title. I think it's just anyone of a given skillset (like pharmacist or phlebotomist or veterinarian) who has the training certifications necessary. A cursory glance around some searches suggests Veterinary Technician might be what you're looking for. This American Veterinary Medicine Association page might be able to tell you more.

34 minutes ago, Osrik said:

At last, we can all decorate our homes with statues of the wonderful creatures from Hieronymus Bosch's paintings:

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/collectable_hieronymus_bosch_figurines

Who wouldn't want a tree man on their mantelpiece?

finalstatues-tree-man-hybrid-creature-st

10 min into hellfire n chill and he gives you this look.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DrGravitas said:

I don't believe vaccine administration is a specialized role with a specific title. I think it's just anyone of a given skillset (like pharmacist or phlebotomist or veterinarian) who has the training certifications necessary. A cursory glance around some searches suggests Veterinary Technician might be what you're looking for. This American Veterinary Medicine Association pa

I guess "positions" would be more accurate, vaccinations are a very common standard procedure so i was wondering which fields catered to that duty most of time in a normal day-to-day workflow, I've been to the local health department here so it seems like one of their main tasks is vaccination services

Working in a vet clinic I noticed the majority of animals coming in were routine vaccinations, which is interesting, and its part of why I want to go into veterinary technician training

Edit: Now that I thought about my local health department I looked up what positions health departments have and Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Medical Assistant fits that statement, I think. I might look more into that now.

I'll live on a sailboat one of these days.

All aboard the SS Hux. Shittiest ship in the sea. Come on guys, we can harpoon whales all day. lennyface.jpg

I'll live off the sea until I finally die of heavy metal poisoning due to consuming a diet comprised entirely of fish. I'll eat fish tacos every day. Mmm fish tacos. I can make a seal hide banana hammock. That's all I'll wear.

I just need to figure out how I can desalinate water so I can drink and bathe. Perhaps I can harness the power of waved hitting my boat. Solar panels and windmills won't do.

At sea for months at a time. Alone with nothing but my own thoughts. I will infiltrate the social circles of dolphins and I will learn their language. They will come to worship me as a god.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rhíulchabán said:

Sounds like you need a Queequeg for your travels

I put an ad on Craigslist, but I didn't get any serious replies :(

I just stated that I need a muscular shipmate with excellent harpoon abilities to be first mate on the SS Hux. I got sent a bunch of dick pics. One guy offered to harpoon me... with his weiner. Apparently, things get really gay out on the ocean. This isn't at all like Pirates of the Carribean. I thought it would be nothing but whimsical adventures and not getting crude sexual offerings from strangers.

My dreams will be ruined without a Queequeg. I don't think I can return the cockatiel I bought. It poops on my shoulder all the time.

A realistic pirate-parrot duo would depict a pirate with a stream of crusty white junk dripping from his shoulder at all times.

I wanted to be a sailor man and all I got was pooped on by a bird. Plus, a hard drive worth or pahllic imagery :(

2 hours ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

Fucck being sick.

This hurts, it's making things hard to do, it's going to suck at school.

and I finally got a microphone and my voice is failing.

On 1/13/2017 at 4:54 PM, Tsuujou said:

You wake up tomorrow. And FeelBad.

Not exactly "tomorrow", but close.
Feel better, though dude. :c

• Like 2

I'm really scared guys. I went to the bathroom and I saw a wild mouse. It was small, straw-colored, and vicious.

It looked me right in the eye before scurrying of into a hole leading under the bathtub. 

This is the second time I've encountered the little beast. I went to the bathroom this afternoon and heard it flee into the wall.

It knows me. It knows my face. It's in my home.

What does it want from me? What's is going to take to get it to leave me alone?

im literally crieing RN u guiz

Have a friend I've known in my group for 10 years. Used to be a supreme dick and a tryhard. It was usually super funny though since we were dumb kids.

He's so much nicer now, so when reminiscing on old days we talk about him like he's some kind of computer. Say he got a firmware update. Uninstalled TryHard OS 1.0. Refer to his old self as prepatch and how his new OS is way more optimized. Lol

• Like 1

• Vae pinned this topic