It's Time to Unlearn Racism!

PastryOfApathy

"How racist are you?"

"I'm not"

"Nice! Glad to hear it! ".

"Take Marcus for example. He's just like you! Ever since he was born his head has been filled with all kinds of junk."

It feels like this computer woman is being passive agressive on me

1 hour ago, Gamedog said:

There's a huge variety in Canadian accents. Our west coast sounds like your north-westEast coast is all Irish nonsense
Midwest is stereotypical Canadian
Quebec is shit
Ontario is a mix of a lot

That may sound stupid but ironically our oral French is almost a 50/50 mix of English and French phonetics.

But it does sound horrible, yes.

4 hours ago, Phausk said:

This did nothing to make me question any bit of racism within me. All it managed to do was make me angry that saying a racial slur can get you into legal trouble (if you're white).

The only thing whitey can get away with is mass shootings. The media fucking coddles the shooter like a child and goes on and on about how "troubled" he is/was, aka 'woe is he'.

3 hours ago, Ratmomma said:

The only thing whitey can get away with is mass shootings. The media fucking coddles the shooter like a child and goes on and on about how "troubled" he is/was, aka 'woe is he'.

Ehhh, it depends. If the shooter was some stupid kid they'll play the sympathy angle a little bit but they're usually properly vilified.

Unless it's like Anderson Cooper or something in which case they'll just refuse to acknowledge them directly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gamedog said:

There's a huge variety in Canadian accents. Our west coast sounds like your north-westEast coast is all Irish nonsense
Midwest is stereotypical Canadian
Quebec is shit
Ontario is a mix of a lot

West - BC's dialect doesn't sound anything unlike you'd hear in the states unless you really delve into the hippy communities.

The east coast sure as fuck doesn't sound anything like the Irish. There's dialects between fairly able to understand through to completely unintelligible, and they all sound absolutely nothing like anybody from Ireland. I work with thousands of people from that part of the country every day, it's definitely a lingo of it's own, lord tunderin' Jesus by. Where ya too?

Midwest? Like, where to where? You gotta go pretty deep into rural communities to find folk that sound even half-ass like that supposed stereotype, and it is funny when you find them. But they're not prominent. It sure as shit isn't aboot any deliberate slang like that.

Quebec is shit.

Ontario SUCKS. At least the tradespeople. Bunch of whiny union hands.

Edited by Wrecker

So I watched the thing in part. I don't think telling me what I already know and have heard repeated ad nauseum is going to make me unlearn racism. Showing us Marcus the blue pill learning things we went over in 6th grade is not the same as exposing us to diverse people and building our tolerance through that  exposure. This thing is condescending, the information is very basic and black and white. Frankly if Marcus the blue pill isn't still in elementary school then he's kind of an idiot for not knowing this shit already and I don't think we can help him unlearn racism, we need to work on helping him learn to walk and chew gum at the same time first IMO. I also resent the fact that this thing seems to think everyone who sees it is either a five year old or really fucking stupid....and white. 

Gonna just say it, this thing is aimed at white people and it's pretty obvious,  I also find it a little hypocritical that it talks about stereotypes then uses them in the images. Am I really not supposed to read Marcus as black? He's a darker shade of blue than the other pill creatures, named Marcus and has his hat turned sideways ( THE STEREOTYPING). You can't convince me this wasn't done on purpose so that they can address their assumed white audience with the words "He's just  like you...full of junk and misinformation"  and squeeze out an extra heavy handed "unlearn racism" bonus. This video is manipulative and frankly quite useless.

Edit: Yeah I realize this is made for kids but even kids deserve more credit than this video is giving them. Also what kid is going to say they're "A lot" racist?

Edited by Red Lion

26 minutes ago, I Did It For The Cat Girls said:

I don't think you can unlearn an instinct.

Except some of it is learned...it's part of a social structure too and as far as social influence goes that can be learned and unlearned. It just takes someone to step out and assess what's right and wrong.

That said I need to check that link when I get the chance :| Need to know what everyone's going on about, aha!

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

1 hour ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Except some of it is learned...it's part of a social structure too and as far as social influence goes that can be learned and unlearned. It just takes someone to step out and assess what's right and wrong.

That said I need to check that link when I get the chance :| Need to know what everyone's going on about, aha!

Xenophobia is a core facet of the human condition. It's a survival instinct. Without it, your ancestors probably would have been effortlessly steamrolled by a far more aggressive and intolerant tribe. 

While its prevalence and intensity probably varies between individuals (and by extension between human populations), I don't think any human on Earth can reasonably assert that they are not--to some degree--racist or xenophobic. If they are, they're either telling a whopper of a fib, they're a genetic anomaly that natural selection would have tossed into the genetic rubbish heap during humanity's more uncivilized days, or they're afflicted with William's syndrome. 

Now, this is a personal anecdote so its validity will naturally be questionable, but no one socialized me to become anxious around folks who don't share my racial background.

It just happens.

And I can't make these feelings go away no matter how much I try. Suppress them perhaps, but I can never remove them--and believe me, I wish dearly that they weren't so potent in their manifestation. 

Being the genetic byproduct of two dauntingly altruistic, accepting, and compassionate progenitors has a way of making one quite permitting of all different kinds of people of all colors, stripes, shapes, and sizes by default---but this doesn't mean that I'm looking to suffer the presence of a sea of foreigners within my immediate vicinity.

It's kind of why I don't want Syrian refugees in the US at all. I don't hate Syrians, but I'm well aware of what sort of behavior that they've been engaging in during their stay in Europe. 

I'd prefer it if they kept to their own lands.

Edited by I Did It For The Cat Girls

8 minutes ago, I Did It For The Cat Girls said:

It's kind of why I don't want Syrian refugees in the US at all. I don't hate Syrians, but I'm well aware of what sort of behavior that they've been engaging in during their stay in Europe. 

I'd prefer it if they kept to their own lands.

while it's true that Middle Eastern cultures are vastly different from European cultures and yes, there are devious people hiding among them, most are just trying to get away from the violence and are pretty harmless.

though if they could, I think most would want to stay somewhere similar to their home too but it's also not a very feasible plan from what I understand.

On 2015-12-08 at 11:49 PM, Jerry said:

That may sound stupid but ironically our oral French is almost a 50/50 mix of English and French phonetics.

But it does sound horrible, yes.

It was a joke because Quebec is bad for wanting toleave canada

On 2015-12-08 at 4:52 AM, Wrecker said:

West - BC's dialect doesn't sound anything unlike you'd hear in the states unless you really delve into the hippy communities.

The east coast sure as fuck doesn't sound anything like the Irish. There's dialects between fairly able to understand through to completely unintelligible, and they all sound absolutely nothing like anybody from Ireland. I work with thousands of people from that part of the country every day, it's definitely a lingo of it's own, lord tunderin' Jesus by. Where ya too?

Midwest? Like, where to where? You gotta go pretty deep into rural communities to find folk that sound even half-ass like that supposed stereotype, and it is funny when you find them. But they're not prominent. It sure as shit isn't aboot any deliberate slang like that.

Quebec is shit.

Ontario SUCKS. At least the tradespeople. Bunch of whiny union hands.

What are you talking about??
West Coast Canada = West Coast America = All hippies
East coast (Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc) = Irish because they're majority Irish/Scottish population origin
Midwest is prairies in general
Ontario is pretty bad, except northern Ontario, The car/industry shit in the south is garbage

Do you even Canada?

3 hours ago, Gamedog said:

East coast (Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc) = Irish because they're majority Irish/Scottish population origin
Ontario is pretty bad, except northern Ontario, The car/industry shit in the south is garbage

Do you even Canada?

Oh I got that part! I'll get used to this kind of humour eventually I guess LOL.

Personally I don't give two shits about this whole separation thing. I used to, admittedly, but not anymore. Maybe it's this thing called growing up? X3

My point still stands for our oral French. It's bad. But I like it  C=

Edited by Jerry

7 hours ago, Gamedog said:

Do you even Canada?

You're either Ontario or Quebec, give me a shot here.

Ah, fuck it, don't. Same idea as Toranta... Just like New Yahk... You're for fucking sure a citizen of Ontario.

Edited by Wrecker

The good thing about Canada is that can be as "racist" (not actually racist) as I want and nobody will do a damn thing about it

i can go full redneck in a rebel flag wifebeater and not a single person looks at me weird

i can fly the rebel flag without someone destroying my house (in fact, I've actually seen an increase in the rebel flag here since the BLM movement came to be)