Things that you love! v2

Sar

Medieval book curses, they're just so fun:

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/protect-your-library-the-medieval-way-with-horrifying-book-curses?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=atlas-page

I think all books should promise agony and death (and, worst of all, excommunication) if someone mistreats them, and this one could certainly increase library return rates:

"For him that stealeth, or borroweth and returneth not, this book from its owner, let it change into a serpent in his hand & rend him. Let him be struck with palsy & all his members blasted. Let him languish in pain crying aloud for mercy,  & let there be no surcease to his agony till he sing in dissolution. Let bookworms gnaw his entrails in token of the Worm that dieth not, & when at last he goeth to his final punishment, let the flames of Hell consume him for ever."

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Osrik said:

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/protect-your-library-the-medieval-way-with-horrifying-book-curses?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=atlas-page

I think all books should promise agony and death (and, worst of all, excommunication) if someone mistreats them, and this one could certainly increase library return rates:

"For him that stealeth, or borroweth and returneth not, this book from its owner, let it change into a serpent in his hand & rend him. Let him be struck with palsy & all his members blasted. Let him languish in pain crying aloud for mercy,  & let there be no surcease to his agony till he sing in dissolution. Let bookworms gnaw his entrails in token of the Worm that dieth not, & when at last he goeth to his final punishment, let the flames of Hell consume him for ever."

Well there was no Gutenberg so everything had to be written by hand. Steal something I took 5 months to copy to the point I had carpel tunnel and my eyesight was going? Yea fuck you too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Head said:

Ohhhhh, Cool! Never heard of Black Dahlia Murder tbh.

Pretty good stuff. Also at the show were Misery Index and Abnormality, both brutal bands. Abnormality has some chick doing Cannibal Corpse style growls, very cool. Misery Index has a drummer that is so good, you would think they were using a drum machine.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2016 at 3:38 PM, Osrik said:

Book curses are really cool, and it is really interesting to think how important to literature they were at the time.

My favorite in the genre of book curses is Chaucer's play on them in Wordes Unto Adam. It is a funny jab at the genre itself that suggests a scribe that alters the original deserves the same punishment as a thief or defacer.

A great thing about reading it as a book curse is that it means he is constantly calling back to that in The Canterbury Tales.

The best thing about it, though, is that the title, Chaucers Wordes unto Adam; His Owne Scriveyn., was added by another person copying the poem, and there is a chance that the original version didn't even mention an Adam.

¯\_(ツ)_./¯

Also, I love a lot of Chaucer's stuff if anybody couldn't guess.

• Like 3

I am not sure anymore. The holidays are coming up, and I'm already starting to get very depressed, thinking of them...things I would love? Being able to afford to go home, and see my folks, in Michigan...been 2 years, and it was 5 years, before that. So I'd love to be able to afford to go, this year, and visit them, while they are still on this earth.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fossa-Boy said:

I am not sure anymore. The holidays are coming up, and I'm already starting to get very depressed, thinking of them...things I would love? Being able to afford to go home, and see my folks, in Michigan...been 2 years, and it was 5 years, before that. So I'd love to be able to afford to go, this year, and visit them, while they are still on this earth.

Sucks, doesn't it? 

My dad is up in Idaho, is awesome, and literally lives at the foot of wild mountains. I would love to be able to see him again.... but who knows if or when?

I was going to post this in the Election thread but forgot it was locked, so here it goes.

Two good things to come out of the election:

Joe Arpaio is no longer Sheriff of Phoenix's Maricopa county...
I say give him a swift kick out the damn door. Though, who knows, maybe Trump will offer him a position as leader of the justice department, so we still have to deal with another "Hard-on crime" republican.

Also, NC Governor McCrory is currently losing to his democratic challenger. Yea, it's a close race, but I think he's going to lose it. Mind you, this is the NC bathroom law governor, who had a campaign ad that claimed trans people were sexual predators. The ad was deleted, sadly, but I saw it myself and it basically said Trans people might pray on little girls. I'd love to see his ass out of office.

I finally ordered four sci-fi classics on Amazon which I have been meaning to read for quite a while (The Forever War, A Scanner Darkly, The Man in the High Castle, and Roadside Picnic), they just came in the mail today.

Now comes the most difficult question: Which do I read first?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Osrik said:

Which do I read first?

100% read The Man in The High Castle first, especially if you've watched the Amazon series which makes the novel's context 'presentable.'

If you look at when it was written, recall the themes in the rest of Dick's works, and pay attention to who the main characters are and how they act and react, you will see why the series removed the most poignant aspects of the novel; they still hit the nail on the head.

The Man in The High Castle isn't perfect, but I really loved it.

I've never read The Forever War or Roadside Picnic, but I would still suggest them ahead of A Scanner Darkly if you're not a big fan of Dick.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2016 at 7:55 PM, Osrik said:

I finally ordered four sci-fi classics on Amazon which I have been meaning to read for quite a while (The Forever War, A Scanner Darkly, The Man in the High Castle, and Roadside Picnic), they just came in the mail today.

Now comes the most difficult question: Which do I read first?

I couldn't get through Roadside Picnic :/ It just wasn't holding my attention well. It was interesting to start out and has a nice, exotic flavor when thought about in its historical context.

Formulaic language in English, but I love pause fillers and the quotative like the most.

I also love English affixation, especially reduplication of random-ass rhymes (hanky-panky) or shm-reduplicants (Reagan-Shmeagan) and infixation (Formu-fucking-laic).

I also love that ass is such a common and powerful affix.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, MalletFace said:

Formulaic language in English, but I love pause fillers and the quotative like the most.

I also love English affixation, especially reduplication of random-ass rhymes (hanky-panky) or shm-reduplicants (Reagan-Shmeagan) and infixation (Formu-fucking-laic).

I also love that ass is such a common and powerful affix.

Three similar ones come to mind:

Hoity-Toity, Ritzy-Titzy and Fancy-Schmancy

• Like 2

Having 5 days off! Not a whole lot planned, nothing for Thanksgiving, just going to rest, and be thankful not to have to get up early for a while. 

I plan to re-read Thomas Hardy's 'Mayor of Casterbridge', and there's some volumes of short fiction by Stephen Crane I'd like to get to.

• Like 1

Binding stupid shit to the mouse wheel and crashing the fuck out of Half-Life.

"impulse 102" spawns gibs (bloody meat chunks).

"impulse 76" spawns a Marine.

"give rpg_rocket" basically makes an explosion at your current position.

"give <monster entity name, e.g. monster_headcrab>" spawns that monster (only if that monster already existed in the level when it was loaded, otherwise it crashes to console -- some weird precache fuckery -- only exception is Impulse 76)

Now imagine one of those bound to the scroll wheel.

Better yet, imagine two of those bound to it -- one command for each scroll direction.

• Like 1