Uh. Hey.

KittenAdmin

2 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

Hello! Welcome! Tell us more about yourself. Interests? Hobbies? 

Regardless, hope you enjoy your stay here!

I'm a techie and a fantasy nerd. Hobbies are tinkering on my lab at home, video games, and writing. Lately I've been playing a lot of Dark Souls when I'm not busy busy busy x3

I uhhh... I dunno what else. Clearly I'm interested in the fandom :U 

Hoooow about you?

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, KittenAdmin said:

I'm a techie and a fantasy nerd. Hobbies are tinkering on my lab at home, video games, and writing. Lately I've been playing a lot of Dark Souls when I'm not busy busy busy x3

I uhhh... I dunno what else. Clearly I'm interested in the fandom :U 

Hoooow about you?

Cool! I'm currently working on majoring in Computer Science atm specifically because of my love of video games, haha. Pretty cool to see another person around that likes electronics and video games and the like. The more the merrier!  Can't say I could ever get into Dark Souls tho, but a lot of people like it so I'm not surprised. Its certainly a challenging game.

What do you mean by lab though? Most people don't have "labs" at home so to speak.

6 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

Cool! I'm currently working on majoring in Computer Science atm specifically because of my love of video games, haha. Pretty cool to see another person around that likes electronics and video games and the like. The more the merrier!

What do you mean by lab though? Most people don't have "labs" at home so to speak.

It's a server with a free version of ESXi installed and a bunch of VMs with different crap on 'em. I host a plex server, and I'm working on my own personal exchange environment. Super overkill for like eight people but it's good learnin'. :B

I dropped out of college, but I really wish I stuck with programming. I'd love nothing more than to make games, and I've got a knack for scripting. I'm sure if I really buckled down and taught myself, I could probably start making simple Java games in a few months.

Right now I'm one of two system folks working in a pretty small environment, but we get a lot of toys. I run all the backups, back end storage, virtualization, SQL databases, and AD infrastructure.

Welcome, glad you're here. There's lots to see! There's a fairly unused tech area of the forums you can maybe participate in- I'm pretty sure there's another language my life switches to when I wander there. 

If you have any questions just let me know. 

On 16.9.2016 at 10:46 PM, KittenAdmin said:

Hi. Just your typical introvert looking for an active furry forum to stalk and eventually post on. Don't mind me...

Welcome

On 17.9.2016 at 1:59 AM, KittenAdmin said:

Old name from when I was much younger. But I ended up being an sysadmin IRL as a career. So the name just kinda stuck.

Say, you don't happen to be capable of hosting a furry forum? ...

On 16.9.2016 at 11:35 PM, KittenAdmin said:

Diives on FA made it for me :3 it's my sona and my wife's. Thanks!

Who is the third?

6 hours ago, Toboe said:

Welcome

Say, you don't happen to be capable of hosting a furry forum? ...

Who is the third?

Thanks, yeah I could, but would require a whole new domain and the purchasing of a verisign cert, as most people expect SSL these days. It probably would be better to use a hosting service. 

My wife has two characters, so both are hers :3

On 9/16/2016 at 10:49 PM, KittenAdmin said:

I dropped out of college, but I really wish I stuck with programming. I'd love nothing more than to make games, and I've got a knack for scripting. I'm sure if I really buckled down and taught myself, I could probably start making simple Java games in a few months.

If you want to go that route, I'd advise you to go with C# instead of Java. They're very similar but C# is like... Java done right. Yeah it's a Microsoft language, but it's actually pretty ballin'. Of course, C++ still reigns as ze Übermensch.

I'm not sure which libraries and frameworks Java has though, so maybe it's better in that department or something. (Although Unity uses C# and that's pretty popular these days)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Socketosis said:

If you want to go that route, I'd advise you to go with C# instead of Java. They're very similar but C# is like... Java done right. Yeah it's a Microsoft language, but it's actually pretty ballin'. Of course, C++ still reigns as ze Übermensch.

I'm not sure which libraries and frameworks Java has though, so maybe it's better in that department or something. (Although Unity uses C# and that's pretty popular these days)

I was considering C#. I'm currently an MCSE and I've been kinda eyeballing the MCSD. Microsoft is my bread and butter right now. Wouldn't hurt to keep that trend going.

• Like 1
On 9/19/2016 at 1:06 AM, Socketosis said:

Judging from my current experience with C#, I'd very strongly recommend picking Java if you're a Linux user. Mainly because it actually properly supports something other than Ubuntu and you're not limited in what you can do based on your platform. Oh, and you don't need to spend 2 days trying to compile it from source, failing, then spending more time with Wireshark and iptables to stop the telemetry.

On 9/19/2016 at 3:40 AM, KittenAdmin said:

Microsoft is my bread and butter right now.

Never mind everything I just said.

Also, hi. Your avatar is amazingly cute.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, george99g said:

Judging from my current experience with C#, I'd very strongly recommend picking Java if you're a Linux user. Mainly because it actually properly supports something other than Ubuntu and you're not limited in what you can do based on your platform. Oh, and you don't need to spend 2 days trying to compile it from source, failing, then spending more time with Wireshark and iptables to stop the telemetry.

Never mind everything I just said.

Also, hi. Your avatar is amazingly cute.

X3 thank you! Yeah, I'm not very familiar with Linux. So I'll probably just start plugging away at C#.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, george99g said:

I'm not that familiar with Mono's strengths and weaknesses. Is it really that bad?

It has telemetry? Whaaaaaa?