General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

On 10/7/2016 at 7:56 AM, DrGravitas said:

I am not allowed to access certain confidential info, but I still need to fix problems  with the system that processes that data. There is a file I am not allowed to access or download that can't be emailed. So, I spent a week coordinating between the technical person who can access the file, the 3rd party that provides the file, and the business person who needs to check the file for missing information.

All of these people are aware I cannot view, access, or download the file. The file cannot be emailed either, due to security regulations, so has to be sent through the system.

I had to time it so the file is provided through the system and pulled out before the system reprocesses it because it may contain data that was already processed. Despite my instructions, which I'm not allowed to provide directly to the 3rd party and has to be put through business (who somehow keeps forgetting I'm not allowed to touch the file), the 3rd party put up the file late. The technical-capable person, who is actually the client-side team lead, did not pull it when they said and waited to ask again if they should pull it. Finally today they pulled the file (probably after it was reprocessed by the system).

They then proceeded to cc me on the email where they attached the file, that I'm not allowed to see and isn't supposed to be emailed, to the business guy.

tmp_23048-14797-man-depressed-office-cube-blue-computer-screen-guilty-wide.1200w.tn2029774287.jpg

It isn't even the file from the date we requested.

Reading this gave me war flashbacks.

• Like 2

@Faust - Forgot I found this adorable news article not long ago. I meant to share it.

http://phys.org/news/2016-09-cuteness-adorable-prey.html

"A Johns Hopkins University researcher noticed the bats he works with cocked their heads to the side, just like his pet Pug.
'It's an adorable behavior, and I was curious about the purpose'"

killthemwith.jpg

• Like 3

My search for a computer based way to check the answers I get for the frame question I have to answer has now taken me though 5 free but awfully designed programs, 3 online tools and 2 free CAD programs. I am stuck plugging things like 10 cos 40 and 10 sin 40 and other trigonometric things into a calculator to see if I can solve it manually.

For context put "cantilever truss solving engineering" into google images and hit enter to see how hard what I have to do is.

On 10/4/2016 at 0:39 PM, Fossa-Boy said:

My life feels really precarious, right now...I hope I have more time to go. I am not sure, anymore. I was thinking of my friend, Ricky, who died, and how easily I might go down a similar path, and that odd phone call from the hospital. And how my own life is a similar but different sorta mess, but with me, I'm less cocky and optimistic than he was.

He had this as his avi on FA: I just read the book, as if searching for clues, about his life, my own. It's odd, I used to be really, really afraid of death...now, it does not seem like such an unusual thing. I guess after a few decades of therapy, and trying every pill known to psychiatry, you get used to the idea. Damn, I don't often open up like this, but am feeling hurt and scared inside, like I have used up my options....

514ayGwN0tL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thanks, everyone. I'm still trying to understand this loss; he felt so alive, so vital...and then, well, gone and done.

I still miss him so much, those talks on the phone, late into the wee hours....rabbit, damn, I miss you.

im going in as the timpanist for the orchestra this year and todays the first concert (tchaiks nutcracker). i have to admit im not anywhere near the calm that i can be. im very nervous and not very confident in what im about to do.

we will have to see how it goes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, evan said:

im going in as the timpanist for the orchestra this year and todays the first concert (tchaiks nutcracker). i have to admit im not anywhere near the calm that i can be. im very nervous and not very confident in what im about to do.

we will have to see how it goes.

Good luck!

Though you'll do fine regardless, hope you enjoy it!

• Like 1

OMG! The £ has been falling like crazy. I'm gonna order an orange latex catsuit for this foxy friend of mine...and maybe a paw-set. I'll have to see if it drops any lower, looking at $1.24 now, and it had hit as low as $1.20. This makes for some very good deals. Huh, I might even sell off part of my golden age comics, so I can get some cash to buy some things I've been eyeing. Well, my friend is gonna be a happy, rubbery holiday fox...about 40 days to make and ship this.

And it looks like the £ might continue to drop; would be odd to see it hit the point to where it was less than $1 US. I wonder what the historic low is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

OMG! The £ has been falling like crazy. I'm gonna order an orange latex catsuit for this foxy friend of mine...and maybe a paw-set. I'll have to see if it drops any lower, looking at $1.24 now, and it had hit as low as $1.20. This makes for some very good deals. Huh, I might even see off part of my golden age comics, so I can get some cash to buy some things I've been eyeing. Well, my friend is gonna be a happy, rubbery holiday fox...about 40 days to make and ship this.

And it looks like the £ might continue to drop; would be odd to see it hit the point to where it was less than $1 US. I wonder what the historic low is.

;^;

*crais*

11 minutes ago, Saxon said:

;^;

It's odd how low the Brexit is dragging the pound. It's nice thing for my own odd interests, but I'd imagine the economy is gonna take a beating. I'd imagine this will make things coming in cost more, and being an island, I'd suppose there's quite a lot of things that the UK imports. I wonder it will fuel inflation. What's the word on the economic implications of this to a Brit, from your perspective?

4 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

It's odd how low the Brexit is dragging the pound. It's nice thing for my own odd interests, but I'd imagine the economy is gonna take a beating. I'd imagine this will make things coming in cost more, and being an island, I'd suppose there's quite a of of things that the UK imports. What's the word on the economic implications of this to a Brit, from your perspective?

Imported goods are more expensive, trade is going to become more difficult because deals will require negotiation, and some companies may contract.

There was some speculation that house prices would fall, which would be good for me because I want to buy one, but that forecast didn't come true.

14 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Imported goods are more expensive, trade is going to become more difficult because deals will require negotiation, and some companies may contract.

There was some speculation that house prices would fall, which would be good for me because I want to buy one, but that forecast didn't come true.

There's a lot of foreign investment in UK real estate, especially in London. I'd imagine this makes buying a place there look a lot more attractive to people from around the globe, who may have pondered doing so, such that demand might actually grow. If I had cash to bur, I'd be eyeing an historic cottage in a rural area, definitely.

And, so this is the historic low for the pound; it had been about $4 to $5 on average, till the 1940s.

Personally, I think it would be quaint if the UK went back to old system, with shillings, and crowns and farthings. It's always fun to convert sums in literature from that era.

Well, good luck there. What does the UK make and export, mainly? I imagine oil, off the coast, and those prices are low, maybe cars? Yet aside from a few luxury brands, you don't see many UK made cars here, come to think of it. A real rarity, all in all.

Overall, it sounds like the Brexit is going to be a bumpy ride; I wonder if there might be a movement to undo it.

On 10/8/2016 at 5:08 AM, PastryOfApathy said:

I feel like I made this post before, but I'm back...again.

I just needed to avoid Phoenix for a bit due to certain personal reasons and events.

I had that moment some time ago myself actually. Got a bit too serious around here one day so I ducked out for a few months. It kind of gets there at times, but not as bad as it used to be.

• Like 1

So I'm just sitting here in my bed watching random crap on my tablet and when I reach for my drink it isn't there so I turn around and look for my drink. I see it then right after I see it I see a fucking shrek figure just sitting there. I immediately jumped out of bed when I saw it.

IMG_9517.JPG

As if the clowns weren't bad enough now I have to worry about dead memes watching me at night. :/

• Like 2

On 10/7/2016 at 11:49 PM, evan said:

i walk around pretending to develop a persona as a competent and reliable musical professional and then i come home and for some reason my day isn't complete without pretending to be a sperm dumpster dog monster on the internet

This is me literally every day.

Like I try to look like some kind of competent health person. But then I look at my phone and remember that I'm a tranny otherkin faggot with a rat fetish 

Seriously though, how the fuck would my coworkers react if they looked at my phone or some shit (I mean I keep it out in the open to charge and I have a furry wallpaper)?

How would my family react if they knew...literally anything about my personal life? I mean I fucking hide everything.

15 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Like I try to look like some kind of competent health person. But then I look at my phone and remember that I'm a tranny otherkin faggot with a rat fetish 

Seriously though, how the fuck would my coworkers react if they looked at my phone or some shit (I mean I keep it out in the open to charge and I have a furry wallpaper)?

How would my family react if they knew...literally anything about my personal life? I mean I fucking hide everything.

i know it's so weird! i was getting complimented on my suit and tie this afternoon and i was like in the back of my head "thanks do you want to see the pic of me wearing someone else's foam dog head in my pajamas at a con full of dog people"

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

The bar is set incredibly low in terms of what people will make fun of you for even if you were never into some kind of strange fandom to begin with. 

I can't blame anyone for hiding the details of their personal life.

It takes very little for people to start vicious rumours and start back stabbing over literally nothing. 

People judge each other over the most minor trivial bullshit. It's probably best never to tell anyone anything. 

4 minutes ago, evan said:

i know it's so weird! i was getting complimented on my suit and tie this afternoon and i was like in the back of my head "thanks do you want to see the pic of me wearing someone else's foam dog head in my pajamas at a con full of dog people"

Having met you in person I have to say you're a really nice person. I've always thought it's best to say as little as possible. The less you say the less reasons people have to dislike you. That's what most people are looking for. Reasons to dislike people. Reasons to agree with the people who dislike others. It's really sad. 

I have found a way to solve the stupid question regarding the frame/truss thing. However the tutorial I am following uses AutoCAD to show the lines of forces and stuff needed to calculate everything. I am trying to copy using FreeCAD (a usable but nowhere near finished program that is free) but it is slow learning it.

I bloody hate this solving beams and trusses rigmarole, as someone wanting to do electrical engineering it isn't overly relevant. What I am learning should really only be taught to mechanical and especially civil engineers. 

I actually think Donald Trump did really well in the debate. Really painted Hillary Clinton as a criminal who doesn't get anything done. Of course I'm sure half of the stuff he said was lies, but it still put Hillary on the defense for a lot of the debate. And the moderators did seem biased towards Hillary.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SirRob said:

I actually think Donald Trump did really well in the debate. Really painted Hillary Clinton as a criminal who doesn't get anything done. Of course I'm sure half of the stuff he said was lies, but it still put Hillary on the defense for a lot of the debate. And the moderators did seem biased towards Hillary.

Naw! You don't say!

The air conditionar/heating system at my dorm building broke and turned the heaters on really high so now its like 80 degrees in everyone's rooms and we have to wait until they're fixed before we get air conditioning again.  ;_;

I don't have the energy to do anything as a result of this heat.

I'm in a very cheery mood; I just ordered a collar for this foxy friend of mine...I finally met somebody around here who has similarly kinky/furry/rubbery interests, and is also into retro/mid-century stuff, and is very sweet. And cute. And the whole thing's left with me with that pleasantly distracted, somewhat nervous floaty feeling. It's odd; I have a mate, and we get along well, but he's more of a furry sympathizer, so to speak...and though we've been together for ages, this idea of having this new friend/pet who is so, er, eager, is pretty exciting. 

• Like 2

First manager was curious why my vacation plans are only 3 days. I explained it has a weekend inbetween and a holiday at the end. They approved the vacation, stating "u r so disciplined..".

Lol, working out of a remote office does funny things to people's perception of you. The default is for them to picture you not working but with careful cultivation, you can create the image of industriousness while still being able to futz about on furry forums XP

That said, I still have  12 vacation days available and by the time that one comes around, I'll have rolled over some. So I really need to come up with more to take...

• Vae pinned this topic