Things That You Don't Understand!

FenrirDarkWolf

8 hours ago, Hewge said:

My own incompetence 

Pro-tip from a pro-fessional in this. Don't try to, it's always fun to surprise yourself when you mess up something to the point you're like "what? How the hell did I make it go this bad?" Then the occasional shock of "Holy shit it worked?!"... Pro-

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Even a garbage truck is more interesting to follow than anything on social media, by far.

I actually did laugh out loud when I read this.

Thanks for the compliment? 

I guess now that I'm over 2,000 likes I'm a "high rep-scum."

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Wax said:

triggered

You on android or ios?

Android

8 minutes ago, Sourdough said:

This offends me greatly. Have you ever tried Disa? Combo SMS/Facebook/Whatsapp app. Easier on data and battery from my experience.

Is it worth it if I use neither Facebook nor Whatsapp? I might try it out anyway since I've been looking for a good alternative SMS app.

11 minutes ago, pothocket said:

Android

Is it worth it if I use neither Facebook nor Whatsapp? I might try it out anyway since I've been looking for a good alternative SMS app.

Well Facebook and Whatsapp are optional plugins. As just an SMS app I would still use it, but there's likely better ones out there.

39 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Ever try JustSMS? IIRC it's free and lightweight, but it's been years since I've used it. Or maybe it was ZeroSMS. I dun remember.

ZeroSMS seems nice, I'll try it out

7 minutes ago, LadyRadarEars said:

I don't understand how 'family bonds' can be stronger than those of friendship when one's family is shitty in comparison to one's friends.

Or any bonds based solely on blood, for that matter.

The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb

52 minutes ago, LadyRadarEars said:

I don't understand how 'family bonds' can be stronger than those of friendship when one's family is shitty in comparison to one's friends.

When your family aren't turds it's easy to understand. I feel for those of you who don't have that in your lives, and encourage you to find people you can call family. It really fucking sucks but you're just looking for what most people are born into :c

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sourdough said:

When your family aren't turds it's easy to understand. I feel for those of you who don't have that in your lives, and encourage you to find people you can call family. It really fucking sucks but you're just looking for what most people are born into :c

No I'm wondering why other people do it. My mother was great, despite her failings, the rest of my family sucks though. I love my friends more than I love any of my current living relatives, and I just get aggravated because some of those friends care more about their drunk deadbeat relatives than any of their friends, even though they have acknowledged the aforementioned shittiness.

I don't understand. On a fundamental level, I just don't.

• Like 1

Why has modern politics devolved into mudslinging? Neither candidate has given me a reason to vote for them, only reasons not to vote for the other person. And both candidates are shady, two-faced crooks who do not deserve the White House. Hillary's campaign is almost entirely focused on mocking Trump, and Trump's campaign is built on sensationalism and bandwagon thinking. Yuck.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2016 at 3:16 PM, LadyRadarEars said:

Most of this isn't controlled at a conscious level and has been imprinted since early childhood. There are also differences with a biological parent versus a step parent or whatever.

On 6/14/2016 at 7:59 PM, LazerMaster5 said:

Why has modern politics devolved into mudslinging? Neither candidate has given me a reason to vote for them, only reasons not to vote for the other person. And both candidates are shady, two-faced crooks who do not deserve the White House. Hillary's campaign is almost entirely focused on mocking Trump, and Trump's campaign is built on sensationalism and bandwagon thinking. Yuck.

It has always been this way, AFAIK.

At least most of the time I was alive.

On 6/16/2016 at 0:23 AM, Rassah said:

How do you add a CalDAV calendar link, linking an external calendar, to Google Calendar?

I would imagine Google Calendar has an option to sync an external calendar, but it uses iCal format which is just text and should also be readable by both.

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

A lot of people have very good relationships with their family, even if you personally dislike yours. 

Most people's strongest relationships are familial because of a phenomenon called Kin selection. 

If you want to read more about this, the selfish gene concept and Hamilton's rule provide a clear insight and explanation, using non-human animals as examples. 

I must be in the wrong thread, I could have sworn it said "things that you don't understand" not "patronizing know-it-all nerd answers questions no one asked"

My bad, lmao.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I don't understand why I try to provide feedback to other artists, because they are either generally much better than me and hence don't need my feedback, or are so inept that no feedback I give them would be useful to them. :\

It is a little surprising that there do not seem to be many people in between. Perhaps people who are capable make the transition from beginner to aficionado relatively rapidly, so at any one time there are only a small number of people who would benefit from feedback. 

Hmm...

1 hour ago, Zaraphayx said:

I must be in the wrong thread, I could have sworn it said "things that you don't understand" not "patronizing know-it-all nerd answers questions no one asked"

My bad, lmao.

• Like 2

i don't understand what day shift maintenance actually does.  every night i come in and both the huge rolling bins are full of garbage, sometimes not even in bags (like today ffs), sitting in front of the trash compactor.  the cardboard baler is so full that it locks down and can't be used again until a bale has been made, which means either it wasn't even attempted since i did it the previous night, or there was a HUGE influx of cardboard between the end of day shift and the start of overnight.  bathrooms look like total garbage, streaks all over everything from being sprayed but not wiped down or shined, shit all over the floor (sometimes literally)...  floors are nasty, garbage cans overflowing, etc etc. 

i know customers make messes and such throughout the day, which may be time consuming and difficult to keep up with, but if you don't run the floor scrubber or bring in the carts or make bales or compact the garbage or sweep the floors or clean the back room or even shine up the damn toilets when you clean them... what the hell are you doing for eight hours?  is it even "maintenance" at that point?  i mean, i don't wanna make accusations because i literally don't know what goes on, but the shit they leave behind suggests that either their job is completely different from mine somehow, or they really suck at doing it.  i don't even go home until all my work gets done, so i don't think lack of time is an excuse.  what the hell is up, day shift?  WHAT EVEN IS DAYTIME MAINTENANCE??  is it a real thing?

• Like 2

Why the Batmobile never gets caught in traffic jams.

I mean, Gotham City is a very crowded place, famous for traffic, and having driven about in it numerous times, there's no way the Batmobile could tear around like it does. I mean, just look at the Gotham City traffic reports. I am going to write to DC at once.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/24/after-brexit-support-soars-texas-secession-push/

I...

Do people realise that states can't legally secede? They never could.

Most citizens of most countries are pretty uneducated about their histories and their legal systems.

In the U.S., this means that many people don't know about the idea of Perpetual Union in the Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union, or what the Perpetual Union means for things like the Declaration of Independence or the Second Amendment.

As the Declaration of Independence is not a governing document, and the U.S. Constitution is both an addition to and replacement of the Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union, it is accepted that the idea of Perpetual Union stands. A state may not leave once it has entered, and a state has not left the Union even if it acts outside of the Union. Even more, citizens may not alter or destroy the Union outside of the means provided by the U.S. Constitution and Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union. Cases like Texas v. White upheld these ideas.

It would probably bother the Texans that think they could secede if they could recall from their education that the U.S. Constitution was written largely because of the risk of rebels leaving or changing the Union and Congress being able to do nothing about it.

• Like 2