"Is my art bad???"

Tsuujou

@Saxon Okay so I guess Sports relies on physical/genetic predeterminations...so...I guess what youre saying is people who are good at art have more biological/neurological traits to aid in that, right?

I had this question before in the past so I tried finding something like "the science of art" on the internet but didnt find much, so Im just assuming its things like hand/eye coordination, spacial awareness, visual cortex, and other perception type stuff with brain developing a specific way...

Even then Im not sure what determines ""You have potential to be an amazing artist" versus "Well you can draw more than a stick figure thats better than average but still, meh"

15 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

And that's fine honestly. I think if I provided context with some people in particular, you'd see where I'm coming from but I'd need to piece together a shit load of chats and I don't have the time for that (I probably wouldn't do it anyway because that would just be...I dunno. Not good. lol). 

Well hey, next time youre chatting someone and they ask just remember to share these exact words:

Yes.

It's wholly irredeemable rubbish for dumpster people. You have shitty tonal values, garbage anatomy, you know fuck all about any sort of perspective, you have the color theory of a decrepit dog, you vomit out mediocre designs that makes Kancolle look like Blade Runner, and just in general boast ludicrously weak fundamentals. You are ass tier and every time you put the pen down to draw, your hand-me-down Wacom Bamboo begs for damnation. Quit trying. You're a fuck awful artist.

24 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Im curious enough since youre quite a good artist, what are your lofty goals and standards and things you wish to improve on at your level of skill?

Uh, a lot of things. I need to work on perspective probably most of all, and posing, but almost all categories are things I could definitely improve on.

These are more along the lines of what my endgame goals actually are:

tumblr_nvg9rufyCj1uhd8n8o1_500.jpgtumblr_o2cw1jiVdM1u3bkiso1_1280.jpgtumblr_o246ntPqqm1tibuboo1_1280.jpgtumblr_nz3sbsunaj1qkbpm3o1_1280.jpgtumblr_nz3cf5TEDF1ryykhco1_1280.jpg

6 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

I'm not that much of a cunt.

I am, though.

Just gonna
save that in notepad.
Yes good.

Also "If your parents knew you were going to be this bad of an artist, they would have aborted you."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

You know, come to think of it, I haven't seen a drawing from you in literally 3-4 years. Last I even saw you draw, I was in a stream where you were doing little snakes.

I remember what that was for. Thank you for coming in.

3 minutes ago, Augmented Husky said:

My Philosophy on the matter is really quite simple....compliment when you can and when you can't........don't

I mean, technically you can always compliment. Literally nothing dictates that you can't. No one is forcing you to say anything.

But complimenting insincerely cheapens the value of your word.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

@Saxon Okay so I guess Sports relies on physical/genetic predeterminations...so...I guess what youre saying is people who are good at art have more biological/neurological traits to aid in that, right?

I had this question before in the past so I tried finding something like "the science of art" on the internet but didnt find much, so Im just assuming its things like hand/eye coordination, spacial awareness, visual cortex, and other perception type stuff with brain developing a specific way...

Even then Im not sure what determines ""You have potential to be an amazing artist" versus "Well you can draw more than a stick figure thats better than average but still, meh"

'Good art' is not properly defined as good sport performance is, so a clear investigation into the factors which predispose people to artistic talent is not possible.

It would be possible to investigate which factors predispose people to producing more accurate illustrations though. I personally wonder whether people who are proficient illustrators respond differently to optical illusions.

It has already been demonstrated people respond differently to optical illusions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Müller-Lyer_illusion

I think this is amazing; different humans actually experience perspective differently. The way our depth perception and perspective works might even be socially constructed. That just blows my mind.

• Like 1

Well? Is it? Is my art bad?

Hm?

HMM? ?

If you say no, then you're useless and haven't helped me at all.
If you say yes, then you're just wrong. Also, I'm blocking you. #Bye

(For what it's worth, some of my favourite artists have posted in this thread. Who are they? I'll leave that to the mystery~)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hewge said:

Well? Is it? Is my art bad?

Hm?

HMM? ?

If you say no, then you're useless and haven't helped me at all.
If you say yes, then you're just wrong. Also, I'm blocking you. #Bye

(For what it's worth, some of my favourite artists have posted in this thread. Who are they? I'll leave that to the mystery~)

Why thank you :V

"Is my art bad" is such a boldly worthless question from every standpoint. If you as an artist want critique, you'll be more specific. "Are my proportions okay? How's this or that or the other thing I dunno I don't know fucking artwork."

I mean, when I send out a book to beta readers i put questions together. "How are my action sequences? Do they flow, can you tell what's going on?" "Does the voice for X character stay consistent throughout? If it changes, note where so I can fix that shit." "Does the world building in chapter Y work?"

Generally, I know what does and doesn't work because I wrote the fucking thing, but I can never tell how much something does or doesn't work without feedback.

Asking "is my art bad" is like when I ask a friend "am I fat?" We both know I am, but he'll say no so I don't have to put down the fucking fork.

• Like 2

I see my art in terms of skill as having  annoyingly reached a plateau, I can do much better than just flat colour or most of DA but can't quite make it in terms of detail to where my art will pass the quality control of many DA groups with "high quality" or "elite" in the name or good enough to be allowed on conceptart.org at all.

I only have one artwork on DA (my FA is filled with old so-so quality giftart mostly) that got into such a group and that may have been down to the group being the least fussy of it's type, other big ones like eliteartists said it was too blury or stated they didn't give feedback.

Also the reason my most recent art on DA is lower quality is due to me rushing to get time limited art trades done.

25 minutes ago, Faust said:

There is no such thing as bad art, only the wrong audience.

...eeehhh

While there is an audience of people who enjoy white-washed canvas paintings, I'm more inclined to think that both the art is bad and that the audience's opinion is silly.

There are audiences of people who enjoy art that is stolen by 'appropriation artists' like Richard Prince for example, who take people's work without permission or accreditation. They think that the act of plagiarism is a form of art.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Saxon said:

While there is an audience of people who enjoy white-washed canvas paintings, I'm more inclined to think that both the art is bad and that the audience's opinion is silly.

Opinions are like feet: everyone's got a couple, and most of them stink. That's the thing though, isn't it? Art is what people are willing to call art. It's all opinion. I don't like that kind of shit either, but others do. I wouldn't call most modern art art, but that doesn't stop it showing up in art galleries. Get the right critic to say the right thing and anything you can possibly produce is automatically art.

21 minutes ago, Faust said:

Opinions are like feet: everyone's got a couple, and most of them stink. That's the thing though, isn't it? Art is what people are willing to call art. It's all opinion. I don't like that kind of shit either, but others do. I wouldn't call most modern art art, but that doesn't stop it showing up in art galleries. Get the right critic to say the right thing and anything you can possibly produce is automatically art.

I was about to suggest that the same standards don't exit for music and cinema, but then I remembered that there are entire albums composed of rests, and critically acclaimed epics which are 2 hour blue screens.

Does anybody actually like these things or do they think pretending that they can discern the true meaning of a silent album makes them appear smart?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

I was about to suggest that the same standards don't exit for music and cinema, but then I remembered that there are entire albums composed of rests, and critically acclaimed epics which are 2 hour blue screens.

Ahh yes, 'Four Minutes, 33 Seconds'. A pianist sits down. A pianist sits there like a melon for four minutes and 33 seconds exactly. A pianist stands up and bows. A bunch of pretentious twats start applauding. A sly musician makes easy money.

• Like 2

Eh, I would argue that pieces that show complete disregard for an understanding of the basic elements of art would count pretty heavily as "bad art."

Sure, you might accidentally shit out something that manages to look decent, just like anyone can throw their fingers around on a piano and occasionally make sounds that don't make people want to drill into their own skull.
But any trained ear could hear your flaws, and any trained eyes are going to see those artistic mistakes as errors that should be fixed.

"Good" and "bad" in reference to a practice are generally descriptors of the skill levels in executing that practice, anyway.
Art is just another practice. There are skills and knowledge involved in it.

And it's kind of insulting to those that do put the time and effort into their craft to be like "LUL HU CARES? EVERYONE GETS A GOLD STAR."

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Victor-933 said:

imageproxy (2).gif

Where do you people find this shit? lol

8 hours ago, Saxon said:

At whole idea of what bad art is...the older art is the less relevant any idea of its quality is:
So just wait 700 years or so, and if your art is still around, people will finally appreciate it. C:

Or just...die. For some reason shit ROCKETS in value when the person is deader than shit.

7 hours ago, Saxon said:

...eeehhh

There are audiences of people who enjoy art that is stolen by 'appropriation artists' like Richard Prince for example, who take people's work without permission or accreditation. They think that the act of plagiarism is a form of art.

This reminds me of when I studied Dadaism and how stupid I found it. Granted I guess I understood where the movement was coming from, but why it's celebrated today by some groups as opposed to just being documented as "that there art movement that one time" in history books is beyond me.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2017 at 8:11 PM, Fossa-Boy said:

I was thinking that artists in general have tended to be fairly moody sorts, who are often very self-critical, even in the mainstream art world; I was pondering Van Gogh, who suffered a great deal from depression, killed himself, and considered himself a failure, even though his art grew to be highly esteemed, and now, paintings sell for upwards of $80 million.

So a poor opinion of one's own ability might not be directly causational with talent, but it's at least correlational.

I have a chance.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eggdodger said:

So a poor opinion of one's own ability might not be directly causational with talent, but it's at least correlational.

I have a chance.

Yep, exactly!

But hopefully while you're still alive to enjoy it! And no cutting any ears off. Wait...I have not seen ears on a bird to cut off, so you are safe, there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eggdodger said:

Buddy it doesn't even matter if EVERYBODY thinks your art is shit. All you have to do is convince one critic or art museum curator and let them do the hard work.

I feel like a lot of people in this thread are being particularly snooty. While yes, there are things that (in terms of technique) can make a person's art bad, there are always unique characteristics in everyone's art that can be viewed as good. A person asking if their art is bad isn't always begging for asspats. Some people genuinely think their art is bad and want to improve it. Then again what do I know, my art a shit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

While yes, there are things that (in terms of technique) can make a person's art bad, there are always unique characteristics in everyone's art that can be viewed as good. A person asking if their art is bad isn't always begging for asspats. Some people genuinely think their art is bad and want to improve it.

1 out of 5 is still failing a test, though.
If you don't understand your craft, you can't possibly expect to have your work respected by or in comparison with those that do.
I can cook, and not catch the stove on fire, but that doesn't mean I made good food from that one positive alone.

Also the second point was already addressed in the thread.
If someone wants criticism on their work, they should ask in fragments about what they're unsure of. They're not gonna fix everything in one sitting if their work's that bad anyway. And that's unfair of the rando they're asking to be expected to dump a fuckload of corrections about a bunch of vague categories on their head, when that person could be working on their own art, instead.

And, as Kea already said and I already made mention of, you also more often than not get the people who just give shitty excuses when you do criticize them anyway.

• Like 2