Too Freaking Hot

Feelwell

As things to complain about, this is probably one of the dumbest.

But this heat seriously bothers me.

The southern part of Canada I guess doesn't even get that hot, but I appear to have an incredibly low tolerance for heat.

Not only does it make me uncomfortable, it can make me feel downright ill/panicky.

I can handle it at work it appears. I've yet to literally pass out and have only felt the lighter effects of overheating, especially now that I'm better equipped. And I can kinda compartmentalize it for the time I'm outside working. (I typically work 4 hour shifts, outside, most of the time at the hottest part of the day.)

But at home I need to be able to relax. And I can't stay inside all Summer.

Sometimes, really wish I was moved further up North.

Like, this is factoring into my future plans for careers, schooling and such. This heat is one of the worst things I've ever encountered, in my opinion.

• Like 6

I'd agree. I find I can escape cold; wear more layers, and I feel fine. But heat? Its hard to escape, and being this far south, it gets like an oven. I mean, this is only Maryland, but still. I think it was 97 today, and I felt a bit queasy and faint...that, and the air quality is low; goo d deal of pollution, mainly from vehicle exhaust.

Having grown up in northern Michigan and come here where there's more jobs, I still have to question why, and if I might have gone someplace cooler, or will do so when I have the means.

Good luck, and be happy you're not farther south...in ways, I have to wonder how anyone would have moved to such boiling, muggy places!

2 minutes ago, Shiro said:

Ha, you don't even know what heat is until you're down here in southeast texas in 100°+ weather with 90 percent humidity. It's almost unbearable at times.

I'd die!

It does grow the best Grapefruits, though. If I was a grapefruit, I would love it there.

• Like 2

I'm in the Mid-Atlantic US, and my room is in the attic of a very old house. It has skylights, which are fine in the spring and fall, but work like a greenhouse in the summer, and the windows at either end are too small for a normal air conditioner. Thus, I have been sleeping in the downstairs den, on a couch once primarily occupied by my uncle's dog. I am mildly allergic to dogs.

As my grandmother loved to say, "Life is a bitch and then you die."

• Like 1

Like @Shiro said, be glad you don't have to deal with triple digit temperatures. It's already hitting the 90s here, with storms fucking everywhere right now driving up the humidity to the 90s as well.

But yeah, do what @Jtrekkie said, and be sure to drink a shitload of water. Headaches, dry mouth, lack of sweat, and dark yellowish urine are all signs of dehydration -- and IIRC if you take a piss and it looks like root beer, that means imminent kidney failure. So, uh, don't let it reach that point.

• Like 4

Yea, already purchased a case of Gatorade I keep in my locker at work.

Same with the other guy who works with me.
Shame the stuff tastes like separated grape medicine in the heat.

Can't do the bandana thing, really. Think it goes against dresscode.

Clothing is whatever work gives me, has to be company stuff.
I mean, I recently got a red shirt instead of the black stuff I had before... 

Got no long sleeve stuff from work.

2 hours ago, Conker said:

I live in MN, where it's either 9th circle cold or hot-pocket center hot. Right now it's that. It's too early for that but it is. Fucking 90 and humid

ALL OF THE HATE TO YOU, MOTHER NATURE >:[

My significant other lives in Saint Paul, so I hear about this a lot. Take care, dude.

49 minutes ago, Mandragoras said:

My significant other lives in Saint Paul, so I hear about this a lot. Take care, dude.

I have acquired an industrial fan for where I work. It helps. Also drowns out the shitty country my cowworkers blare so it double works ;P

• Like 1

The more fans and the bigger, the better, at least in that kind of situation.

(Not exactly on topic, but at this point, isn't country only really defined by being played on country radio? Because I swear half of it is just nü-disco and butt-rock with affected Southern accents and dashes of banjo at this point. There are a few really strong country acts but man, it's dire these days.)

It's been in the high 80's/low 90's for the past few weeks and this isn't even the hottest part of the summer. While I'm not particularly sensitive to the heat, I just hate feeling like I'm sitting in a bowl of hot soup while I'm outside all the time

On 2017-6-12 at 4:17 PM, Shiro said:

Ha, you don't even know what heat is until you're down here in southeast texas in 100°+ weather with 90 percent humidity. It's almost unbearable at times.

Oh, this is my life, but more humidity and less heat because Northeast Texas is a forest.

I went all out.  I covered my windows with a reflective film which rejects some of the solar radiation, reducing how much my apartment heats up from direct sun.  I also cut a hole in the bedroom door for the cat, allowing me to zone which part of the apartment I'm cooling while not restricting my cat's movements.  I can air conditioner only the main living space with the big AC or cool just the bedroom at night with a smaller portable air conditioner.  ...Last year I had to run both because the cat would not tolerate open doors and that sucked down some serious kilowatts.  I also killed the last of the non-LED lights in my apartment so that lighting isn't producing additional heat.  Downside is though, I do have a lot of electronics and those do inherently produce heat just by being turned on.

4 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I'm sorta thankful that we have more of a dry heat as opposed to a humid heat here in Idaho. I'd rather not drink hot air.

It hasn't even been dangerously hot yet.

Just dangerously humid. I can't even sit in my bedroom sometimes because it's so stuffy

On 6/13/2017 at 9:50 PM, Mandragoras said:

The more fans and the bigger, the better, at least in that kind of situation.

(Not exactly on topic, but at this point, isn't country only really defined by being played on country radio? Because I swear half of it is just nü-disco and butt-rock with affected Southern accents and dashes of banjo at this point. There are a few really strong country acts but man, it's dire these days.)

No, that sounds about right. I'd lump pop in there with it, but nu disco might have that covered.

At least the station likes Taylor Swift. There's a reprieve every few hours.

It's still hot though. My room has shitty insulation or something, because it's like ten degrees warmer than the rest of the house :(