Rant: I'm a womanchild

Sidewalk Surfboard

I've said this before, but it's really sinking in tonight.

I'm almost 18, and many people my age are into much more refined, mature things, and have normal hobbies.

And then there's me. I still like furbies and absolutely love Teddy Ruxpin and Chuck E. Cheese and shit like that.

Now don't get me wrong, I adore my hobbies, but every once in a while it'll sink in that they're super childish, and I am childish for liking them.

Like I said, I love my hobbies, but some night I really wish I had more socially acceptable ones.

Just embrace the fact that most people are still half child inside except that of those most people, they are really good at hiding their childlike qualities beneath their grown up body and a mountain of responsibilities they're supposed to be taking care of. 

In the end, your friends care that you are a pleasant person to be with.

Your family cares that you make them proud by being as good as you are and maybe (optionally) raise a family one day.

Your employer just wants you to do your job you've been practicing.

And your government cares that you pay your taxes and not do any shady criminal stuff.

It's okay to still like furbies and chuck-e-cheese etc. They don't get into way of the things that really matter, that others care about and be damned the person who says "childish" things do get into way of adulthood, success or whatnot. 

But if you are concerned about your "normalness"  then maybe try out a new hobby, a more known and socially acceptable one. Maybe you'll like it. Like Alexx said, this does not mean that you'll give up old hobbies. You just add them on top of your current hobbies. 

You can do it 👍✌️

I'm going to quote professor elemental for you here.

"Deep inside none of us really grew up, There's no such thing as a grown up! That's all imaginary!" 

I personally think hobbies shouldn't be linked to age so heavily. Seriously. 

When i went to see zootopia i was told it was a childrens movie and that i was too old to watch that, but it is a good movie anyway. Oscar winning, if i recall correctly. 

There is nothing "childish" about enjoying things that are good, made well (or not idk) and enjoyable. what is enjoyable differs per person, and i don't think that should be a problem. 

• Like 3

I hope it's not offensive to say but your hobbies are childish for like 80's-90's kids, you remind me more of an old person in a millennial body :v 

Second everything above, embrace the woman child...except when you want to pretend to be normal, but other than that ...

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with liking childish things, hell most of the childish things that exist are fun like Chuck E. Cheese. The issue with people is that as they get older they think they can't have fun anymore because the stress of life gets to them and they need to be responsible. So long as you're able to function in society and keep yourself afloat financially there's nothing wrong with liking childish things, its your life and I can almost guarantee you'll find people who share that sentiment if you go looking ^-^

• Like 3

Gonna answer this the same way I answer all kinds of "I hate myself" things:
If you have an issue with yourself, work to fix it, or work to fix what you share in order to avoid negative perceptions.

If you don't, well that's entirely on you.

14 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Now don't get me wrong, I adore my hobbies, but every once in a while it'll sink in that they're super childish, and I am childish for liking them.

Not to say there's anything wrong with picking up a "normal" hobby, but could the issue be more or less that you're equating your hobbies with being a child? If that's the case, maybe the solution isn't to find new hobbies but to separate your hobbies from your behaviour

I'm 28 and still watch My Little Pony. You're fine OP.

I think you need a healthy balance between liking immature stupid shit and ... mature stupid shit. It's like enjoying a fine bourbon and then smashing a few Miller Lights. Both are fine in moderation. Have fun. Just you know, make sure the context fits most of the time.

I think so long as you act emotionally mature and treat others with the respect and understanding you would wish them to treat you with, you will be fine. People like what they like and that is that.

Also, you're 17, for heaven's sake. Don't freak out about being an adult. Voting, drinking and filing taxes are certainly things one does, more often than not, but you're just getting older and progressively accepting a greater share of reaponsibilities in your own life, like you've been doing since you were an infant. It's not like you have to start chucking every youthful interest you've had at some arbitrary point.

• Like 5

On 11/07/2017 at 8:48 AM, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Like I said, I love my hobbies, but some night I really wish I had more socially acceptable ones.

you can always add more

you'd be surprised what kind of conversation you can get out of all kinds of bullshit

i had a great chat about golf today with a retiree bloke and i dont like golf at all, but i tried it once and learned that its ten thousand times harder than it looks and im complete shit at it. just try things, and even if it went south, its still conversation material

• Like 1

Don't worry, you'll start dying inside little by little as you get older. In the meantime just enjoy what you like, everyone has strange hobbies. Just don't close yourself to new experiences, which includes "normal" stuff.

• Like 1

I don't think you have to give up your hobbies. Real maturity has more to do with being responsible, keeping your word, admitting your mistakes, striving to become a better person etc. Few people will care what you do in your free time if you get your work done and take ownership of your choices.

• Like 3

Maturity is finishing your work, finishing your homework, paying your bills, keeping a budget and THEN doing WHAT EVER you want to enjoy your off time, because you did all the 'Grown Up Stuff' so the rest of your time is yours to do with as you please.

It's when you do something short sighted like spend the rent money on new video games, that's when you're just a child pretending to be an adult.

• Like 7

I'm in agreement with ashley fur sure. Solid advice. Being an adult means handling your shit so you can do whatever tickles your fancy afterwards. If being an adult is learning to become ultra-repressed and cram yourself into the little box society and culture have created for us then sign me up to be a kid forever please.

• Like 2

Ashley and Xaende nailed it.

Boomers, Gen Xers, and miscellaneous hipsters might mock you for your interests and hobbies, or say that they put away childish things when they were YOUR age, but that's just their projected baggage.

Playing golf, having a membership at the country club, or talking about the weather or the stock market does not a true adult make. Being an adult is about being willing and able to step up and take responsibility for your life to the best of your cognitive and physical ability.

• Like 2

I spent $60 CAD on a Sega Genesis shaped USB hub just to stuff a Raspberry Pi in it to make a Sega Genesis Mini classic.
I bought a New-In-Box Sega Genesis 3 button controller on eBay to mod it for BlueTooth support.
I have Hello Kitty decals on my bedroom walls.
I have shelves of anime figurines.
I'm thinking of buying a an arcade machine marquee just to make an illuminated wall decoration.
I think I have six computers.
I have a 65" 4K TV.
I enjoy myself regardless of what someone may consider age appropriate.

Know what else I did?

I have made a complete spreadsheet for a monthly budget which I adhere to.  It even tracks, averages, and makes projections on my electrical bills.
I focused the majority of every raise and tax refund I got onto my student loans and I'll be debt free by Dec 1st at the latest.  I'll have paid off three years of school in less than there years of payment time.
I worked a tonne of overtime in the last two years, which I've also used on my student loans or used to buy new home decor like a bed, couch, and the aforementioned television, in cash rather than financing.

I earned my goof off time and toys.  That's adulthood.

• Like 1