Anyone like fatfurs? If so, why?

BennyJackdaw

I love them. For me, fatfurs are big, huggable teddy bears. They not only let you hug them, but they may also let you use them as a bed. But fatfurs are also giant damage sponges. They are impervious to punches, blades, even bullets, and they can just laugh off these things.

...At the same time, I have a certain style I like. I tend to like less detailed fatfurs, though I like a few details sometimes. I don't like deformed blobs or characters that look incapable of functioning.

• Like 1

I think this conversation can be work-safe if it's kept to aesthetics, but I understand why some might think otherwise.

Personally, my standards for what makes a character winsome don't really have a lot to do with weight, although I tend to be drawn to more proportionate characters overall, and in terms of what I find attractive past mere cuteness, I prefer lithe to rotund most of the time. Not a knock on fat characters, though; round can be charming too. But again, it's not a key feature for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, willow said:

So we're gonna leave this topic here for the time being, but make sure to keep discussion PG-13 at the most or it'll get moved

Adding to Willow's statement: If it does get moved, you will also lose access to it.

The adult section is only accessible through meeting the right requirements (69 posts and adult age), and specifically requesting permission from an admin.

There's fat furs, then there are 

Fat Furs

e9cd8c2c53b957853f8078d18a31238e.jpeg.21a4d0524555d86999a7057f26f90547.jpeg

Then there are f̮͓͎͍̳͔̘̞̹͖͈̥̳̤ͬ͌̂ͫͯ̋͒̂ͤ̆̊ͤ͆͂͊ͬ̈́͜ͅͅ ̧̢̺̼̞̍͋ͧ̀̍͛̓͑̊ͣͤ̓̆̿̑͛̃͝ä̤̰̼͚̼̭̓͂̀͒͗͐̂̏̽͛̀̚̕͟͟ ̸̢̺͈͔̹̖̘͚̪̣̣̫̠̦̝̩̯̱͆́̾̕ͅt̷̸̡̝̱͇͍͔̮͉̦͑̽ͩ͒͢ ̶̱̜̻̲̗̣̰̳̦̬͕͇̙̲̼̲͉͓̂̄ͦͫ̏͢ ̢̟̖̥̙̼͚̻̘̖̼̉́͐̓́ ̸̱̲̖̭͚̳ͫ̊̿̍̋̂͟͞f̵́͗͛̋̊ͪ͊ͯ͊ͥ̄́͝҉̪͉̠̭̩͖͙̯̦͙̹͈͝ ̞̗͕̭̙̹̺̠͙̜̤͕̥͉ͯͥ͋̈́̏͆ͤͮͩ̀͗ͯ̔̈́̄̚͘͜ų̧͍̻͖̜̭̥͚̼̻̭̠͆͊ͭ̊͜͟ͅ ͉͓̫̙̲͙̓̈́ͯ̉̆̾͛͐̈́̀ŗ̝̖̩͓͉͚̗̘̯̙̬͍ͯ̍ͥ̌ͭ̽͐͡͠ ̶̧͖̖̠̳̹̻̥͔̮̹̻̖͕̣̗̺̖̬̏ͥͬ̄ͩ̆ͩ̓͘̕s̘̹̣̱͙͉̩͎̗͙̹͉͊̇͋͛͑̑̈̈̎͂̿̓͋́͢

59964bb8caaa8_hqdefault(2).jpg.15fa8897c5e2776d3f2c69a57cf0e3f1.jpg

• Like 7

On 8/18/2017 at 2:54 PM, Caledonian said:

I don't like fatfurs. The reason being that I'm fat and I'm not comfortable with seeing my daily struggles being fetishized.

I don't know if I draw them so much as that. I try to draw fatfurs while keeping in mind what it's like to be fat in real life. I understand that being fat is unhealthy and often leads to shorter lives, and I also tend to add realistic traits to my fatfurs, which include slowness, cumbersomeness, weakness to being tripped, and overall shorter lives. Only the characters from my fatfur comic Splendimals break these realistic tropes. ...but only to an extent.

I generally base my characters around the "rubber belly" trope kind of like Buyon/Jiggler from Dragonball. It's more about drawing designs that are fun and playful rather than glorifying fatness or insulting people who are fat to me. That's one of the reasons fat human Bender (shown above) mortally disgusts me, for while I like drawing tubby characters, I don't like it as much as that or as much as some people. Although, while I find too many rolls of fat disgusting, I don't mind a lot of Akira Toryama monsters like Balzaak/Night Clubber, Tuskateer, Grandmaster Nizmo, etc. Frankly, if there's some form of competency and intimidation in it's design, I don't mind it. It's when they look like useless blobs (like again Bender) when I don't like them.

I feel like most people who like fatfurs have different reasons for liking them. I've asked a few fatfur lovers in the past and I was surprised at how our reasons differ.

On 8/16/2017 at 11:39 AM, BennyJackdaw said:

They are impervious to punches, blades, even bullets, and they can just laugh off these things.

4 hours ago, BennyJackdaw said:

I try to draw fatfurs while keeping in mind what it's like to be fat in real life.

On 8/16/2017 at 5:07 PM, BennyJackdaw said:

I treat fatfurs as fantasy characters rather than realistic representations of what it's like to be fat. The only thing realistic about my fatfurs is their short lifespan.

300.gif.57a0701084cdfda15f3d3961fee0a4d9.gif

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

I dunno bout fat furs... but fat tigers are adorable roly polies

tiger-7-e1486428076677.jpg

So majestic.

This poor thing...
Cute yes, but I always feel bad when an animal like a tiger, dog, or something else traditionally known to be lean is this overweight. :C

• Like 4

On 8/25/2017 at 8:43 AM, Faust said:

I think chunkier folks can be attractive, but there's a limit. For me, that limit is a long time before the point where they start needing a belly wheel.

latest?cb=20150118134456

What hurts is knowing someone probably faps to this on some obscure forum...

• Like 4

Depends what you mean by finding catches attractive, morbidly obese, no. It's a little disturbing that people fetishize overeating and weight gain to the point it leads to serious health risks.

If you're referring to bara males and chubby girls, that's a little different. Not everyone is super skinny and I really like that art communities are able to represent different body types (which can still be considered healthy), it gives people who don't fit the norm a bit of relief and the ability to still feel and be considered atttractive 

• Like 1

I'm keen on a few specific "types," including fatties.

But, for me, the devil is definitely in the details, and I can be quite particular about what I do and don't like.

So, when it comes to fatfurs, I don't like art featuring featureless blobs or mounds of melted custard that don't even resemble living things. I have a sense of what looks anatomically plausible, and what looks like the artist just gave up and drew random folds and creases everywhere.

When it comes to writing, of course I expect the spelling and the grammar to be correct, and I want the author to put effort into describing the physical and mental states of their characters. I also prefer that the characters experience certain emotions and mental states in these stories.

On 26/08/2017 at 8:17 PM, Vallium said:

If you're referring to bara males and chubby girls, that's a little different.

Totally agree there, I like a little chub sometimes, it's good to have variety.

This comment though did just prompt me to look up the origin of 'Bara' and I was quite charmed to discover that, although it derives from a contraction of 'Barazoku', a Japanese gay comic company, the contracted form actually means 'Rose'. Isn't that lovely?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Faust said:

This comment though did just prompt me to look up the origin of 'Bara' and I was quite charmed to discover that, although it derives from a contraction of 'Barazoku', a Japanese gay comic company, the contracted form actually means 'Rose'. Isn't that lovely?

PqG7AjR.png

On 8/26/2017 at 2:17 PM, Vallium said:

Depends what you mean by finding catches attractive, morbidly obese, no. It's a little disturbing that people fetishize overeating and weight gain to the point it leads to serious health risks.

If you're referring to bara males and chubby girls, that's a little different. Not everyone is super skinny and I really like that art communities are able to represent different body types (which can still be considered healthy), it gives people who don't fit the norm a bit of relief and the ability to still feel and be considered atttractive 

I usually draw characters in a very cartoon-like style, and most of my fatfurs are round, and while some have an ungainly appearance, I usually try to stray away from being gross unless I'm making a character that's actually SUPPOSED to be gross. One of my characters, Splendid Ricky, has legs hidden under fat, though that's about the worst I usually do. Splendid is supposed to have a somewhat muscly belly because he's supposed to be this impenetrable wall of flesh that just tanks through stuff, which is the general idea of the majority of fatfurs I draw. While he's very slow, he's still capable of lugging his frame around, though he usually waddles. On the other hand, one of his arch nemesis is Titus Crushernator McBain, AKA "Droopy." He borders on the "pool of fat" trope because that's his thing. He's supposed to be useless anatomically and requires the use of a forklift to get around. He's generally supposed to be unpleasant. The only thing he really has going for him as a villain is his ability to control minds.

14 hours ago, Troj said:

But, for me, the devil is definitely in the details, and I can be quite particular about what I do and don't like.

So, when it comes to fatfurs, I don't like art featuring featureless blobs or mounds of melted custard that don't even resemble living things. I have a sense of what looks anatomically plausible, and what looks like the artist just gave up and drew random folds and creases everywhere.

That explains how I feel about fatfurs, too. A good fatfur, IMO, is imposing and somewhat formidable looking. They can be slightly ungainly, but if they're just senseless pools of blubber, then they lose that imposing, menacing appearance and enter the realm of just play gross. The thing with Splendid and Titus is sort of meant to be my opinion of Cool Fat VS Disgusting Fat. though Splendid's debatable and probably still kinda gross for most people.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 1:54 PM, Caledonian said:

I don't like fatfurs. The reason being that I'm fat and I'm not comfortable with seeing my daily struggles being fetishized.

I can dig this! Though I don't "kink-shame" folks for genuinely and consensually enjoying what they enjoy, I am personally uncomfortable with the fetishization of disability and particular things associated with my disability for similar reasons.

53 minutes ago, BennyJackdaw said:

That explains how I feel about fatfurs, too. A good fatfur, IMO, is imposing and somewhat formidable looking. They can be slightly ungainly, but if they're just senseless pools of blubber, then they lose that imposing, menacing appearance and enter the realm of just play gross. The thing with Splendid and Titus is sort of meant to be my opinion of Cool Fat VS Disgusting Fat. though Splendid's debatable and probably still kinda gross for most people.

Musclebears and the like do nothing for me personally, because I'm not into big or pronounced muscles, and am turned off by excessive body hair, or the suggestion of it. (Which, yes, I realize sounds weird, because we're talking about furries here. Fur is different from body hair.)

At the other end, I don't like "slobs." The art generally makes me go "bleh" or "ugh."

11 hours ago, Faust said:

Totally agree there, I like a little chub sometimes, it's good to have variety.

Didn't know that actually, the more you know!

Although fat furs aren't a fetish of mine, I do enjoy some of the art. I'm not going to hate on the shape of a character just because it might turn somebody else on. Fetishes or not, it's nice to see a variety of body types represented in the fandom.

• 3 months later...
On 8/18/2017 at 3:54 PM, Caledonian said:

This is generally how I feel about it?? I don't mind like, fat characters existing as characters. It kind of makes me feel good since I am also fat, but when it gets into fetishy territory, I'm out. So fat furs as a group? Probably not.

• 4 years later...