is there anyway to add or decrease from someone's reputation on these boards?

axelthefox

well that's been internet slang for ages. I thought young adults/teens knew this stuff. Oh well. 

It stands for Fear Of Missing Out - Google it 

Maybe? I don't know but I have never in my entire life heard anyone before you say that.

Also that's kind of a weird reaction to forum rep.

I like to think of rep as a percentage. like, Kaizy has 380/569 (right now, anyway) which is 66.8%

Idk why. 

I like percentages. 

Yeah, I was thinking the rep is probably more accurately expressed as a percentage, ideally.

That way, people with higher post counts don't necessarily appear to have the better reputation than people with lower ones.

My experience has been that giving people the option to downvote users, meanwhile, usually ends in disaster, and proves yet again that humans don't deserve nice things.

Edited by Troj

I like to think of rep as a percentage. like, Kaizy has 380/569 (right now, anyway) which is 66.8%

Idk why. 

I like percentages. 

Honestly, that's the best way of doing it. Though you also have to factor in the amount of posts itself because someone could have 100 posts and 90 rep, and their average is higher than someone with my post/rep.

I'm sure there's a formula someone could create for this but I'm shit with math so I'm not gonna be the one to try and figure it out.

Being nerdy and social sciencey, I find myself asking, "Well, what does it really MEAN to have a 'good reputation?'"

I'd probably end up inventing a convoluted system whereby users can rate each other in various domains, like humor, helpfulness, kindness, wisdom, and being knowledgeable about topics.

Being nerdy and social sciencey, I find myself asking, "Well, what does it really MEAN to have a 'good reputation?'"

I'd probably end up inventing a convoluted system whereby users can rate each other in various domains, like humor, helpfulness, kindness, wisdom, and being knowledgeable about topics.

1. Conduct anonymous survey where users rate each other
  2. Collect data from posts, e.g., subforum, post #, length, like count, etc
  3. Regression analysis with (1) and (2)
  4. Perfect trolling by unleashing automated user ranking system

That's what Second Life had a long time ago, but they got rid of it because people just ended up paying others to rate their shit.

• 4 weeks later...