Users! What is it, EXACTLY, do you want out of Phoenixed?

@Clove Darkwave made a good point in the thread about how the forums have literally no idea what they want. Its true. Here's the quote, for posterity.

"The only thing that can actually be gathered from this thread is that this forum doesn't know what it wants and will never be happy."

So let me be clear. As a user, I'm asking you guys what exactly do you want out of Phoenixed? I know this might seem like a stupid question, but explicitness goes a long way. I want to stress that I as a user am asking you people, as users, to not troll this post or joke the fuck around, and give me (and I guess by extension, the mods) a serious answer. Because these are the thread rules I set, I will report any comment that isn't constructive to THIS topic about what you want in Phoenixed. I thought about outlining some options, but I feel like they box in people. What if there aren't any options that fit what you want. The question is More importantly, why are you here?

FAF imploded and it is dead. Phoenixed should not be some gross bastardization of FAF, and I'm wondering if there are some folks who genuinely just want another FAF, or want an entirely new community born from it? Why do you come every day? Why did you initially come, but fade out once you saw how things happened?

The paint of this thread is to hopefully help the mods out, here. I know that they're struggling a little with how to be diplomatic, but also make their users happy. At its base, they volunteered to Mod because they care about this community, even if the community sometimes doesn't like them. We gotta remember that. Hopefully, this thread will expose some common ground, and maybe we could hammer out issues folks have with phoenixed constructively. 

Fingers crossed, y'all. 

I came and stayed because I loved the FAF community.

Thing is, one significant part of the FAF experience was seeing all the new users come in. And you know, though the forums are doing fine, the community isn't really growing the way it was. Although, the new members who sign up here do tend to stay a lot longer than the FA travellers.

What do I want? I want this place to stay. Not disappear like FAF did. It'd be good to get the name out there, maybe getting a more convenient URL if at all possible so it can be shared around and known.

After all, the members keep this place alive.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lemon said:

That is legitimately what you want?

nah, I just read the OP after I posted...Im a bad jerk, ignore me

(just literally the first thing that came to mind reading the title)

Edit: For serials, since I dont want to be that lazy person on a legit thread...the posting on mobile can be pretty annoying sometimes, when it comes to quoting or removing quotes. I often end up with quote-ception with a quote in a quote. Ease of posting would be nice. So web maintenance?

Im not some nitpicker of this site so Im kind of on the outside of the whole "Phoenix is shit" thing.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

These days not very much. I have very little to say anymore. I come here looking for some differing opinions in order to expand what I know of what people think, but that's pretty clouded given the rampant "culture".

I think the forum needs to clean up its act, but I don't see that happening. It's pretty apparent that people can't be trusted due to the prevailing attitude.

• Like 1

My primary reason for staying on FAF was because it had people I liked talking to on it, and now they're all here. I stopped having "serious" discussions for the most part unless it's about something I like like a hobby or something or sperging about something historical. I would say shitposting because its the "for fun" option, but both shitposting and arguing about current events is rampant everywhere on the most commonly-visited websites.

I think it'd be nice to further emphasise things like creativity and personal projects for all sorts of disciplines. Art, comics, writing, filmmaking, model painting, sewing, programming, vidyagames, the list goes on, whether you're more of a creator or consumer. With of course the general talk side of the forum we've had for ages.

dont look at me on how to do that though

maybe a rearrangement of subforums to better reflect a new purpose

Edited by Sir Gibby
  • Like 1

I want what I've been enjoying this entire time, a community filled with some of the best fucking people I've ever met.

Are there things that could be improved? Yes. Are there things from the old FAF I miss? Absolutely.

But at the end of the day, this is still the same community I accidentally fell in love with (I originally joined to scam furfags with shitty commissions if you can believe that). Sure, there will be drama, there will be fights, and there will be assholes. But so long as I have the people I love here I'm happy.

• Like 2

I had an idea for a layout more like this.

General
- Intros
- Watercooler
- R&R

Hobbies
- Art
- Music
- Film
- Writing
- Videogames
- Tabletop Games
- Technology
- Sport

Shitposting
- Forum Games
- Black Hole

Staff/Site Discussion

---

Basically my idea is to compress the front page to a rather small one, and the different hobby forums have subforums within, if applicable. E.g. Art has sketchbooks, critique/tutorials, exchange, commissions, etc. Music has a section to talk about what they like, as well as one about creating their own. The rest follow something similar to this. The "links" subforum is merged with the watercooler as people end up posting links as thread starters there anyway.

Intros probably includes a sticky regarding the rules as well.

Edited by Sir Gibby
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Newt said:

Maybe some organized community activities? I know we have the Discord chat (inv plz), so maybe we can play some dumbass games together n shit.

We have a lot of organized events as is, actually. It really goes by which individual wants to start and host them.

Its not just discord, but steam groups, board game sites, art threads, movie/video streaming, livestreaming, secret santas.

59 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

But at the end of the day, this is still the same community I accidentally fell in love with (I originally joined to scam furfags with shitty commissions if you can believe that).

So youre one of the people who joined this furry forum to troll le idiot furfags but ended up becoming a part of them...

I knew it! :v

53 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

I had an idea for a layout more like this.

General
- Intros
- Watercooler
- R&R

Hobbies
- Art
- Music
- Film
- Writing
- Videogames
- Tabletop Games
- Technology
- Sport

Shitposting
- Forum Games
- Black Hole

Staff/Site Discussion

---

Basically my idea is to compress the front page to a rather small one, and the different hobby forums have subforums within, if applicable. E.g. Art has sketchbooks, critique/tutorials, exchange, commissions, etc. Music has a section to talk about what they like, as well as one about creating their own. The rest follow something similar to this. The "links" subforum is merged with the watercooler as people end up posting links as thread starters there anyway.

Intros probably includes a sticky regarding the rules as well.

Where would the link thread go, though?

And the thing about these forums is there are creators and consumers: Some view art, movies, tv, games, music, and some create them.

The three frags subforum and the tube are useful for people who consume those things recreationally, whereas the art shack and the blue note are in separate sections for those who create them

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

I have what I need. Oddly enough, there are only a handful of people I dislike with a passion here, maybe one or two (can't think of all of them off the top of my head), and to spare me any headaches I just avoid 'em like the plague. I used to have an issue with the mods, but I got used to them. Zeke is good, Mentova is alright, while Kalmor is the worst and should be demoted, in my humble opinion. Too triggerhappy with the ban button, poor communication skills, too young to be a mod. The other mods are alright, but him? He needs to go, though I'm not expecting that to happen anytime soon nor am I willing to discuss it. It'd only be a waste of time. Same goes for the ban thing, as in, when to ban someone and stuff. If you want to talk about this with somebody else that's fine, just don't count me in there. Again, I don't really give a damn anymore 'bout those topics. Also, speaking of mods, whatever happened to Taralack? He (she?) just disappeared. Real life stuff must've caught up with them, I guess

If anything, I would enjoy some extra traffic. The air can get a little stale by having always the same users around. I mean, I like the majority of my fellow phoenixers, who more who less, but it's always nice seeing new faces, maybe new minds that can bring more to this forum, whether it may be humor, wisdom, art etc. etc. People are a forum's greatest asset. LOOOOOL no shit?

I really don't see why some people have a problem with Phoenix being the way it is, namely those who treat it as if it were but a den of trolls, shitposters and so on and so forth. I mean, there's always room for improvement, yes, but come on, what'd you expect? It's a furry forum for God's sake. Some people must think this place should become the next Royal Society or something. It will never be, and anyone trying to change that is another Don Quijote charging windmills. Good luck with that

Edited by Guest

To be completely honest, the creation of this thread kinda has this air of...bad attitude to it, acting as if this forum is already going down the shitter or is complete garbage. If that's the case, I disagree with that. Is this forum perfect? Not really, no forum really is. Each person will have their hangups about it that determine their overall stance on the site.

I mean people who say there's too much shitposting or whatever...I feel like they forget they can make their own content that they can deem is of quality. I mean shitposting isn't all this site is. We can be serious when need be, have actual conversation without arguments. I've seen it. If people write this place off cause they see some shitpost threads or a few arguments, I"m sorry but lighten up. That's kinda what this place is and I think most of the shitposting comes from the fact we all live pretty mundane, serious, or busy filled lives, that we'd rather just be goofy for a moment and relieve some stress. When people want to have insightful convos, they'll have them on their our own time. Not when you want to but even then you'll find a few people still willing to lend an ear.

I'm just incredibly jaded on this and kind of annoyed cause I've SEEN forums with real trolls, shitposters and downright terrible people. This forum isn't one of them and its nowhere near to being like one of them. I will agree with @Amiir that new member participation would be nice, but I'm still happy seeing the people I recognize here everyday. Its the only complaint I have and its a small one at that.

So once again, to people who really think this place is a cesspool of scum and villainy, kindly pull the stick out of your ass and scour the Internet for some real vile forums. Then, come back here and try to say that this place is absolutely terrible. 

• Like 2

agree with new memberparticipation. We have a few new faces I enjoy seeing but will we see regular traffic of new people in general, particularly when some of our active members decide to drop off nd do life stuff

FA had a main site outlet to here,Phoenix has just the search engine,

In my experience, me and others have found this site unintentionally through said link not randomly out of the blue "I want to join a furry forum lets google/duckduckgo one"

I was thinking, maybe those who have an FA/DA/Weasyl etc. etc. account can post a journal advertising this forum though I'm well aware that this will not assure a steady income of people, if any at all. However it still could inject some new people into the system with some luck

I like this forum better than FAF, mostly because I came in with the first rush and was able to get somewhat comfy near immediately. The biggest issue I had with FAF and only a little bit here was that it could be intimidating to post. There are people here who are clearly community favorites and regs and posting among those can be intimidating to someone like me. I saw Phoenix as my opportunity to force myself past that while the crowd was small and for the best. Many of the favs and regs from FAF are back and there's some new ones, but it seems like they're less skeery.

I would like to see community gaming events for games I enjoy. I'd offer to set such a thing up, but it doesn't seem like people here enjoy the same games I do. I've had a couple people add me recently for Endless Legend and a couple random games, but that's just a filler game I play when I'm bored of new games and I don't see myself tiring of Rainbow Six for a while yet. The Phoenixed Steam group is pretty dead, but if activity picked up there it would be a good place to coordinate events.

44 minutes ago, 6tails said:

The problem with this is trying to advertise anywhere. Example, I wouldn't be advertising towards the furries on 8ch or u-18 or e621 or f-list.

Most other sites tend to have their own internal forums.

Now that FurNation is 'dead' there might be an influx of new users as people find this place.

But other than that, I don't see anything that would really bring in a whole bunch of new people.

but if we advertise on fetish sites we get new people to post weird kink stuff to laugh at :v

New download-a-flareon, b-sting, and latex Gryphon 2k16

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

when I first joined FAF, it was because I wanted to try and get involved with the community. I didn't have a lot of friends I could hang out with and granted, while everyone initially thought of me as the one annoying kid on the forums (or the jailbait, or the user whose true gender was a mystery) I stuck around anyways and eventually became a regular. granted I'd leave every once in awhile because life happened but I came back. why? FAF became a place where I could talk, and joke around, and even have some pretty deep discussions. but above anything else, I guess it kinda felt like home. hell, I don't even get this kind of satisfaction from Tumblr sometimes.

so I guess you could say that I too am here for the people I've met in the like, and there isn't anything I truly want.

but if there's anything that I actually want out of this website, it's for the damn layout to get fixed. and also for the dark layout to not have light text when you type a post..what's up with that?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Amiir said:

I've laid my eyes on Siege and it looks like a pretty promising game. Might get it when I'll build me PC

I'm not much for competitive games in general, but the tacticalness of Siege has really appealed to me, even despite the many server issues. >< It's not really a game you can play casually though and still expect to do well in, you have to spend quite a bit of time learning basics and then at least some not-basics or you'll just end up super frustrated against any human that has a clue. I think that frustrates people who just want to jump in and go, CoD style. However, as someone who does not like things super fast paced and avoids those types of games because my reflexes aren't quite there, I've found a lot of enjoyment in Siege because that tactical advantage is the most important thing.

Basically, I don't recommend it for anyone who just wants to play it once a week and only to those who find it interesting enough to invest a lot of time in to become at least an average player (or to the rare few who might be entertained by doing the PVE stuff repeatedly, which I was for a while).

---

Was gonna just edit my first post with this, but since I had to reply to the above I'll just add it here: When I first found FAF it was because I had recently been introduced to the furry community by someone in my clan (hadn't really considered it as something I'd pursue before) and wanted to see if maybe I could find some interesting individuals to befriend. I Googled "furry forums" and FAF was one of the choices. Now, I had been warned previously that FAF was full of a bunch of shitheads and rude people who would not be kind, but after lurking for a bit and seeing that the alternatives were pretty much dead, I decided to take the leap. Some good and some bad happened as a result.

If you search "furry forums" today, Phoenixed is on the first page, but still behind some icky sites. The only decent one is the very first one and I don't remember seeing that before, but I could be wrong. It doesn't seem to be as active, but is definitely not dead. They have very different rules than us as well, pretty much no tolerance for the kind that frequents here. Part of me wishes there'd be a crackdown on people who are dickish all the time, but I know I'm in the minority there so I don't push that and just accept that there's some pretty rude peeps here who you just have to brush off.

11 minutes ago, willow said:

but if there's anything that I actually want out of this website, it's for the damn layout to get fixed. and also for the dark layout to not have light text when you type a post..what's up with that?

That actually brings up some stuff I want improved on the technical side. Dark blue layout is still fucked. Gotta squint my eyes to type cause as how you said, the text is too light.

Also, still can't see the logo and the hotlink limit for the art sites is still too short, so users with longer names can't link themselves properly and ends up leading to an error page

I come here because it has a fairly varied and unusual userbase which has little overlap with the kinds of people I deal with in my local day-to-day life. The same idea holds for the topics of discussion here. I'd like to see more people and more activity, but also more viewpoints and discussion that doesn't immediately become absurd.

It seems like one of the larger points of contention on these forums is how to treat things that are broadly disliked: unpopular inflammatory posts (separate from popular inflammatory posts), mindless shitposts, batshit crazy argument chains, and other related things. I think this sort of behavior just comes with the territory, though; you can't fully get rid of it without also getting rid of a large number of users and a significant chunk of the forum's activity that you don't want to lose.

I want a fun, semi-casual place to hang out and get to know folks. A place that doesn't take itself too seriously, except when it wants to.

Moderation action needs to be flexible in the same way; able to read the feel of and intent behind a thread or post and adjust according to this context. This will require a lot of good communication and acceptance that mistakes will be made and it is never wrong to go back and correct mistakes or change a decision. Can we formalize this into a set of hard and fast rules? Probably not, but I think it's essential for the growth of a strong and unique culture around our little community. A culture ossifies when all its member must become lawyers to effectively defend themselves from other members, and there will always be a need to defend oneself from some people even if as those people change.

Considerable communication, analysis of context, inference of intent, and benefit of the doubt are essential for both the mods and community members. These must be applied wisely by all on all, to seek out that ever-elusive harmony between us all.

• Like 1

I would like FAF 2.0, but without IMVU Kebab. A vibrant community full of people from all paths in life, where people can discuss whatever they please. A place with an inviting atmosphere and friendly people. Unfortunately, all the hostility on these forums has scared many of our friends who were with us back on FAF. I would like to see a community revival.

For people to actually entertain the distinct possibility that maybe--just maybe--people have different opinions and perspectives on various topics. I'm not naming any names, but some of you (and you know who you are) whip out the pitchforks, machetes, and torches the very instant someone waltzes into a thread and says something sufficiently blasphemous.

And cut the passive-aggressive behavior out; drop the nonsensical "witch hunt" mentality that's been raging across the board lately.

Other than that, this forum is quite swaggy. Wish it had a larger membership body though. 

• Like 1

On 5.1.2016 at 0:01 AM, WolfNightV4X1 said:
On 5.1.2016 at 10:58 PM, Newt said:

Maybe some organized community activities? I know we have the Discord chat (inv plz), so maybe we can play some dumbass games together n shit.

We have a lot of organized events as is, actually. It really goes by which individual wants to start and host them.

Plz link some for me. I'm a new a furfag here

1 minute ago, Snagged Cub said:

Plz link some for me. I'm a new a furfag here

Dev has a synctube channel where people can gather and watch (bad) animated movies together

6tails hosts a kitsunekitchen tinychat regularly

(Ive been to neither, but thats because I lack the ability to use a computer :T maybe eventually)

Discord chat is a chat application you can ask someone to send an invite to.

There's a community comic thread where people doodle small stories or ideas of what happens around the forums with some users

Theres the discord chat application you can download and ask someone for an invite to the chat.

And a bunch of other smaller, randomer events. Board games online. hunger games simulater. Secret Santa.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2016 at 6:55 PM, Lemon said:

That is legitimately what you want?

Between shitposting and a furry /pol/, I think some people genuinely would be happier with that. Doesn't necessarily mean it should be like that, I would rather it not be. I would rather for the forums to be a polar opposite of the angst that FAF once was. Not a hugbox nor a cancerous shitposting pit, but instead of rejecting the fandom itself in a hypocrisy, it should be embracing some of the key aspects that attracted people to it in the first place.

Edited by Sar

I've been frequenting other forums outside of phoenix and I must say, having someone who moderates stuff  is just crucial. I don't know much of the moderation state of phoenix but a bunch of people who removes all the most offensive/pointless/trolly shitposts is just a must have

So far, people have been generally nice, yes, some threads do end up into heated arguments and shitposting but I've seen A LOT worse forums than this

Other than that, this forum is quite swaggy. Wish it had a larger membership body though. 

Oh yeeeees, this. (S)Wag that tail to right direction

Also, as another suggestion, this forum could use it's own in-built and official chat room instead of having to rely on tinychat/discord invites

I just want to talk to the people of FAF, without any of the staff or moderators of FAF. All the good ones like Brody left when they realized how toxic it was.

On 1/6/2016 at 8:44 PM, DrGravitas said:

Considerable communication, analysis of context, inference of intent, and benefit of the doubt are essential for both the mods and community members. These must be applied wisely by all on all, to seek out that ever-elusive harmony between us all.

I was tired of the constant bickering with (and between) the staff well quick. My main complaint (I am using this post to complain about FAF fyi) was the incongruity between the stated rules and what the staff actually wanted, coupled with a policy to not discuss why a given decision was pawded down. I was always afraid of getting ASBOed for minor things, and so weren't a lot of people. Lastly, the rules were different for different people; it seemed the rules applied less stringently to the popular members, especially friends of the staff. It makes for a two-tiered community where some people flaunted and granstanded while quite a few people were banned for non-issues.

Okay, I'm done ranting about FAF now. What I want is not that. Can we have not-that? I just want to get along. I'd love that, thanks.

• Like 1