Being attractive is the most important thing there is

jcstinks

"Being attractive is the most important thing there is. If you want to catch the biggest fish in your pond, you have to be as attractive as possible." - Nada Surf, "Popular" (1996)

One thing that continues to surprise me about humans is how virulently they resist their own nature.

Human beings are primarily visual, hierarchical creatures who prefer to be around people who look like good receptacles for their DNA. Assuming you subscribe to the theory of evolution, the humans that exist today do so in part because they choose to associate with people who will either raise healthy children or be effective allies in their climb up the social ladder.

This holds true today as much as it ever did; but now, we are cynical about it. We seem to resist this idea. It's curious to me how many people, especially young people, believe that they don't care what other people think of them. Everyone cares what other people think of them. Every person. We evaluate the worth of a person based off such areas as physical appearance, clothing, mannerisms, employment and housing status, perceived competence, education, and relationships with others. Those who claim they don't care what other people think of them are either lying, mistaken, or so unattractive that they cling to this idea to bolster their self-esteem.

It seems to me that the prerogative of every human should be to make themselves more attractive so that they can be more successful in everything they do. Even if you don't feel you judge people based on anything but their personal character (which you still do), everything in live comes easier to a person who puts in the effort to be attractive and desirable to be around.

For a recent example, I attended a conference the other day where we invited someone with a diagnosis of major depressive disorder to speak about her experiences and how she feels she is unfairly discriminated against in finding a job. This was a conference of professionals who held and dressed themselves appropriately for a conference. This speaker came in with dirty hair and wearing a Looney Tunes t-shirt that would have been more appropriate on a small child. The great deal of passion she puts into her advocacy for persons with depression is undermined by her lack of desire to be attractive. Suffice to say, she was not taken seriously by anyone. Essentially, she wasted her time and the time of everyone else. The only thought most people would have had was, "maybe if she she would be gainfully employed if she knew what the inside of a shower looked like or was not afraid of a toothbrush. I hope her affection for children's fashion and "being herself" is worth more to her than accomplishing anything, ever.

It's easy to say, "that's not fair! She shouldn't have to partake in basic hygiene rituals and present herself as a responsible adult." This ignores the crucial fact that we ain't nothin' but mammals. Every time I hear someone tell me, "ha, ha! You are such a sell-out because you are wearing a suit,, I bet you vote for conservative politicians like an evil person, man I could never do that I gotta be myself I'm sorry for you man" I am tempted to remind them that I'm the one with a job that isn't at Denny's and have adult relationships with people who do things other than play video games and use illegal substances.

It is also easy to say that you feel like your life won't mean anything if you have to "change." But, everyone is already making concessions every second of every day. We mirror the people around us and participate in rituals with no immediate practical application but to give other people what they want, such talking about the weather and making appropriate eye-contact. We already wear clothing that we can go out into public in without immediately upsetting others (I hope.) In fact, we (mostly, I hope) try not to offend people unless we feel justified in doing so. We modulate our voice, words, behaviors, and mannerisms based on what people we're around. No person acts like "himself" all the time, because we already conform every day. The difference with attractive and effective people is that they have decided to do it well.

So I guess what I'm saying is, you're all a bunch of raggedy children that need a shave and a haircut.

Go do that now.

One of the great thing about certain sections of academia is that people will flat-out look at you funny if you wear a suit. On most days I'm one of the more formally dressed people in my department just by virtue of wearing a button-down shirt that is actually tucked in.

I think it is, at least, a worthy goal to attempt to ignore many aspects of appearance. As a particularly pertinent example, two of the most important visual areas are facial structure and height, and both of those are incredibly hard to modify. Even with clothing, body type heavily influences how different styles of clothing are perceived. 

It's one thing to say that this is how humans behave, but it is another entirely to say this is how they ought to behave.

2 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

Thank you for posting.

* So you were able to play by your own rules.

* You spared the integrity of a single thread.

* Hee hee hee...

* But don't act so cocky.

* I know what you did.

* You trolled him.

* And then you went back and un-trolled him, because you regretted it.

* Ha ha ha ha...

* You filthy casual.

* Do you think you are the only one with that power?

* The power to troll my threads...

* Purely by your own determination?

* The ability to play God!

* The ability to "SHITPOST."

* I thought I was the only one with that kind of power. But...

* I can't SHITPOST anymore.

* Apparently YOUR desires for phoenix dot corvidae dot org override mine.

* Well well.

* Enjoy your thread while you can.

* I'll be watching.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, jcstinks said:

* So you were able to play by your own rules.

* You spared the integrity of a single thread.

* Hee hee hee...

* But don't act so cocky.

* I know what you did.

* You trolled him.

* And then you went back and un-trolled him, because you regretted it.

* Ha ha ha ha...

* You filthy casual.

* Do you think you are the only one with that power?

* The power to troll my threads...

* Purely by your own determination?

* The ability to play God!

* The ability to "SHITPOST."

* I thought I was the only one with that kind of power. But...

* I can't SHITPOST anymore.

* Apparently YOUR desires for phoenix dot corvidae dot org override mine.

* Well well.

* Enjoy your thread while you can.

* I'll be watching.

*You know... I don't care about shitposting in this thread anymore.

*After I troll you and gain total control of the forum... I just want to report everything

*All your posts... Everyone's rep count. I'll bring them all back to zero!

* Then we can post everything ALL over again.

* And you know what the best part of all this is? You'll DO it.

* And then you'll lose to me again.

* And again.

* And again!!!

* Because you want a "good thread."

* Because you "love to post."

* Because you "aren't a troll."

* Isn't that delicious? Your "effortposting." The power that let you get this far... It's gonna be your downfall!

* Now, ENOUGH messing around! It's time to purge this furry forum once and for all!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jcstinks said:

For a recent example, I attended a conference the other day where we invited someone with a diagnosis of major depressive disorder to speak about her experiences and how she feels she is unfairly discriminated against in finding a job. This was a conference of professionals who held and dressed themselves appropriately for a conference. This speaker came in with dirty hair and wearing a Looney Tunes t-shirt that would have been more appropriate on a small child. The great deal of passion she puts into her advocacy for persons with depression is undermined by her lack of desire to be attractive. Suffice to say, she was not taken seriously by anyone. Essentially, she wasted her time and the time of everyone else. The only thought most people would have had was, "maybe if she she would be gainfully employed if she knew what the inside of a shower looked like or was not afraid of a toothbrush. I hope her affection for children's fashion and "being herself" is worth more to her than accomplishing anything, ever.

I swear this had been posted on the Furaffinity Forums before, it's like reading a Deja Vu moment.

Good thing Im sexy as all heck B)

Haha! No but really, attractiveness alone doesnt make up a person, you already cited other things a person needs to be successful such as "clothing, mannerisms, employment and housing status, perceived competence, education, and relationships with others" all of which are separate from physical appearance (genetically speaking)

There are attractive people that are mean, arrogant, not confident, and the like. While people who arent conventionally attractive that are kind-spirited, vibrant, energetic, etc. These qualities can make up for appearance and make them likeable.

Because you see it all the time, "ugly" people in good jobs, friendships, relationships.

Attractiveness isnt a set quality anyways and most people who say one person is ugly", others will disagree.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1
  • Like 2

The owner of a contracting outfit I was working for a few years ago didn't dress in suits, didn't take too much time to clean up, and he is fucking loaded. Like millions and millions of dollars worth of loaded. You wouldn't know it just by looking at him, he's just a Joe.

He's a tradesman, got his hands dirty, saved money, got a contract, bought a couple trucks, hired a couple people, got another contract, hired more people, yadda yadda... There was a point when they were international.

I'm a firm believer in who gives a fuck about how you dress.

for the most part, i dont really care how i or other people look for the most part

but on the other hand most other human beings have consistently described me as attractive so i probably have more "not needing to care about how i make myself appear" wiggle room

also i spent a decent chunk of my post-teen life learning social skills so i guess that might have helped

Edited by kazooie

8 minutes ago, kazooie said:

for the most part, i dont really care how i or other people look for the most part

but on the other hand most other human beings have consistently described me as attractive so i probably have more "not needing to care about how i make myself appear" wiggle room

also i spent a decent chunk of my post-teen life learning social skills so i guess that might have helped

Next meet up I will pay you to make out with ugly people to put your statement to the test. 

13 minutes ago, MagnusGear said:

And as the actual most attractive person on this forum.... I didn't actually read the first post because it was really long.

It's okay.
We all gotta have dreams.
I won't squash yours.

• Like 1

I thought this thread would be a long rant about how we need to be pretty.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Of course it's true.

When you go to a job interview, you wear a suit, not because of prettiness, but to show you care about the job.

When you comb your hair and keep in shape, you're showing you care about being healthy.

When you wash yourself, you show that you care about not annoying others with your body odour.

When you get someone a drink, you show that you care about satisfying needs, being polite and looking hospitable.

This thread could be about the importance of making an effort and still go down the same route.

3 hours ago, DrDingo said:

I thought this thread would be a long rant about how we need to be pretty.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Of course it's true.

When you go to a job interview, you wear a suit, not because of prettiness, but to show you care about the job.

When you comb your hair and keep in shape, you're showing you care about being healthy.

When you wash yourself, you show that you care about not annoying others with your body odour.

When you get someone a drink, you show that you care about satisfying needs, being polite and looking hospitable.

This thread could be about the importance of making an effort and still go down the same route.

"Effort living" is as lame as "effort posting."

• Like 1

Of course people who believe themselves to be ugly will not actively do things to beautify themselves. They have created a self-imposed limit. Beautiful people, who are both perceived as such by most people and who believe themselves to be beautiful, are treated better in society for the reasons you described. I think the reality of our age is not that people reject being judged by others, but that they can't emotionally handle the pressures of being judged negatively by others. So, many people choose to be ugly than to put the work in to be beautiful. They essentially admit defeat before they even play the game. They then convince themselves that beauty isn't all that important, to allow themselves to feel better about giving up on it. 

People choose how they want to see the world. Many times, that view isn't in line with how things actually are. But hey, if enough people do that, then reality really will change. But I do not want a world full of ugly people....

Edited by Ieono
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Therapy Sergal said:

"Attractive" is subjective.

Right! This is my point exactly! (And with all crazy fetishes around you know this too :v)

but have some examples in time:

1600's attractive girl: small, chubby, small breasts and large (child bearing) hips, round belly

1800's attractive girl: so pale you wonder if they've ever seen the sun.thin waist, Huge butt. Slender and delicate face, bony cheekbones appreciated.

This are two examples through time in europe. Let alone all the differences in culture between different countries!! 

• Like 1

If being physically attractive is the most important thing to you, then physical attractiveness is the most important thing there is... for you. Others may place greater value on different traits. It seems to me that our intelligence, personality, talents, imagination and other things that make us human developed because our ancestors didn't always fall for the most physically attractive mates. Looks can be deceiving. A pretty face can hide all sorts of problems.

That, and physical attractiveness is largely subjective. Culture-specific, dependent on personal tastes and experiences, subject to change over time etc.

• Like 2