Yep, this is why I hate most Let's Players

DevilishlyHandsome49

They spawn this shit. People who get on a camera and play a video game, overreact with every fucking thing they've done like they've never played a game before, kissing the game's ass to a disgusting degree AND add that with the "reaction" trend...you get this trailer. I hope to god this doesn't start a trend. Contrary to what many may think, I believe a lot of Let's Players ruin games, cause they overhype the shit out of it and in less than 3 months, people are sick of it. So so many examples... 

Now don't get me wrong, I like accolade trailers, especially when they show a quote from a source I know isn't very biased and I trust. For the most part, a lot of accolade trailers show legit praise for something.

But this is just such blatant ass kissing and pandering. Just bleh! BLEH!

• Like 4

Three things:

1) the things i know about that subset of lets players is that they don't really have opinions anyways (at least Dashie doesn't)

2) ever watched Dunkey? good times

3) sponsored videos are really hard to get a read for. take for instance an Ad Walmart ran featuring Jontron. He frankly does not let very many things go, and him and Arin openly made fun of Dead Space 3 while being given a sponsored demo of it. Then watch that ad.

I am in the middle. I generally tend to avoid thoughtless Let's Players, but there are plenty who are able to integrate themselves into the experience, or make a new experience as part of the game they're playing, instead of trying to add needless hype to the game.

Edited by evan
three is higher than two
  • Like 2

To be honest, that trailer has made that game look even more dull then it already did. Not even from the reactions either mostly just because it makes it look almost entirely like an open world hunting game which, knowing big budget open world game AI probably means it is just going to be an easily exploited mess with no real substance to it.

But hey maybe I'm just a cynic. (Or a troll who hates video games as i often get accused of)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, evan said:

Three things:

1) the things i know about that subset of lets players is that they don't really have opinions anyways (at least Dashie doesn't)

2) ever watched Dunkey? good times

3) sponsored videos are really hard to get a read for. take for instance an Ad Walmart ran featuring Jontron. He frankly does not let very many things go, and him and Arin openly made fun of Dead Space 3 while being given a sponsored demo of it. Then watch that ad.

I am in the middle. I generally tend to avoid thoughtless Let's Players, but there are plenty who are able to integrate themselves into the experience, or make a new experience as part of the game they're playing, instead of trying to add needless hype to the game.

There's only one Let's Play channel I watch and thats the guys from RageSelect. I knew them when they were known as the Loading Bar. Great personalities. Seemed more like a podcast with a game going on behind it than a Let's Play

The thing that I will never ever ever get about Lets Plays and video game streams, is that its a digital version of being over at your friends house when you were a kid and watching them play the game, having fun and you not getting the controller...I have no desire to relive those days 0_0 I'm all about playing it for myself, by myself or with someone I'd like to play the game with

Edited by DevilishlyHandsome49

Gamegrumps is something I put on the background to listen to while I do something else. They're usually not that great at the games being played, but their chemistry works well for just listening to chit-chat and unrelated stories and junk.

Especially now that Arin has Danny as his partner instead of Jon, in which the latter's case just eventually sounded like two pterodactyls trying to eat each other a lot of the time.

I watch Two Best Friends and voiceless speedruns for actual gameplay.
I just wish TBFP did more games I'm actually interested in.

I also like Vinny and Joel from Vinesauce.

Edited by Vae

I see this kind of thing more with horror movies and games, especially ever since Paranormal Activity's first trailer filmed "real people" reacting to it to show how scary it was. there's a few Steam games that use LPers for the same effect. only that stuff was prerecorded and added in later

Let's plays can be good but there's tons out there who try and ultimately aren't interesting. The most interesting ones where you watch mainly for their personalities. Basically good let's plays are just podcasts I listen to in the background. You talk about how you would rather just play the game rather than watch someone play it, but you can have let's plays running in the background while you play a game. You can also watch how other people play an open ended game you like.

As for livestreams i watch livestreams of players who are really amazing at games and playing much better than I can so that's entertaining to watch. I also watch tourney which you can't really "Just play" when said tourney is on the other side of the country. That being said neither of those really count as "Let's plays".

I've never even watched a Let's Play. I see no appeal and have no interest in watching someone else play a video game. Video games, to me, are very personal experiences that I don't like sharing with people who I am not even playing with. Discussing a game I've played? Maybe. Watching someone play a game I've never played? Definitely not.

Then again, I don't like watching non-expert strangers on YouTube at all. I'm very much closed to the idea that I can learn from some random dude discussing a topic he is only slightly knowledgeable in. 

Bad Let's Play channels will make you hate LPs. Have you ever tried to watch people who played specific types of games? 

A few good examples are NorthernLion, FrankieonPCin1080p, Cinemassacre, etc.

Edited by Terminal7
The fuck is syntax?

PewDiePie is the ultimate case of LPer gone stagnant. I saw him rise to popularity, and while he was pretty entertaining early on, his rhetoric got old quick. Scream a bunch when playing a video game. And his fanbase has gone to shit as well.

Markiplier is the same deal. Fite me scrubs

Nowadays, I like Cr1tikal and Videogamedunkey. They do things quite different.

Also, there is an underrated LPer known by Allshamnowow. Give that guy some love.

• Like 1

Generally I seem to get pretty lucky when I look for Let's Plays anymore and find acceptable ones quickly. I don't sub to any specific person because no one has really wowed me and I'm generally just there for a quick preview of a game before I buy it. It does seem like the more popular Youtubers are kinda 'tards and overreact or do really stupid an irritating things that ruin the video for me. Same things goes for streams; the more ridiculous they act, the more viewers and followers they seem to have. People like stupid and irritating things, I guess.

Edited by Kinare

Apparently my Let's Plays don't make people want to stab their ears with a knife, but then again I keep Razzle, my YouTube gaming persona, down a notch. He's supposed to sound excited and passionate about the game he's playing, and will actually commentate on the game itself and offer opinions, but he's not the "Yell/scream" type unless something crazy happens or something catches him off guard. I also try to keep him from swearing as well, so it's not just a stream of F'bombs the entire time. 

I actually got some props for Razzle's Five Nights At Freddy's "Let's Play" (even though it was more or less a walkthrough) because, believe it or not, our lovely green fennec didn't yell like a two year old when things didn't go according to plan. I think the most riley he got was when he forgot Freddy got active on night 3, which basically  put him in "Oh Shit" mode if anything. 

52 minutes ago, Rabbit Head said:

I would love to tell you, but IDK what you like, man.

Personally, FPS's where you can't shoot everything as soon as they come into your crosshairs is not an idea that appeals to me, but IDK, I never tried it.

It's this sort of sentiment that prevents tactical shooters where fire discipline is required from springing up ;(

5 minutes ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

It's this sort of sentiment that prevents tactical shooters where fire discipline is required from springing up ;(

I was hoping Rainbow Six Patriots would be it but then the bloody game got canceled or at the very least changed into the campaign-less Rainbow Six Siege. :c

I'm sure Siege is a great game but I always played Rainbow Six for campaigns, dammit.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kellie Gator said:

I was hoping Rainbow Six Patriots would be it but then the bloody game got canceled or at the very least changed into the campaign-less Rainbow Six Siege. :c

I'm sure Siege is a great game but I always played Rainbow Six for campaigns, dammit.

I heard Rainbow Six used to be a tactical shooter before it became homogenized, it's only a matter of time before the gaming singularity is upon us.

37 minutes ago, Draconas said:

I did a silent LP of the walking dead, there was no uglycam, my annoying voice through a microphone wasnt there, no shitty commentary, just the game and whatever stupid choices I picked

How can you play a game without screaming and shrieking every few seconds :o