Is it 'Doughnut' or 'Donut'?

Kosha

;lskjadf  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What is the correct spelling?

Here's a fun word for you people

Prescriptivism

It's a word which means holding the belief that there is one correct way to speak and write language.

This thread is, by definition, full of people who are prescriptivists

This has been an English lesson with DrDingo

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought that "Donut" was like a branding thing. Like it's used to subconsciously make you think of Dunkin' Donuts..

Donut is inseparable from Dunkin', yin and yang.

Like how people sometimes say "Pass me a coke!" but they really just mean whatever soda you have. It doesn't necessarily mean specifically coca-cola, but it kind of passively invokes the brand every time you say it.

It's late for me.

"Dough nut"

The earliest known recorded usage of the term dates to an 1808 short story[13] describing a spread of "fire-cakes and dough-nuts." Washington Irving's reference to "doughnuts" in 1809 in his History of New York is more commonly cited as the first written recording of the term. Irving described "balls of sweetened dough, fried in hog's fat, and called doughnuts, or olykoeks."[14] These "nuts" of fried dough might now be called doughnut holes. Doughnut is the more traditional spelling, and still dominates outside the US.[15][16] At present, doughnut and the shortened form donut are both pervasive in American English.[17]

"Donut"

The first known printed use of donut was in Peck's Bad Boy and his Pa by George W. Peck, published in 1900, in which a character is quoted as saying, "Pa said he guessed he hadn't got much appetite, and he would just drink a cup of coffee and eat a donut."[18] According to John T. Edge (Donuts, an American passion 2006) the alternative spelling “donut” was invented when the New York–based Display Doughnut Machine Corporation abbreviated the word to make it more pronounceable by the foreigners they hoped would buy their automated doughnut making equipment.[19][20] The donut spelling also showed up in a Los Angeles Times article dated August 10, 1929 in which Bailey Millard jokingly complains about the decline of spelling, and that he "can't swallow the 'wel-dun donut' nor the ever so 'gud bred'." The interchangeability of the two spellings can be found in a series of "National Donut Week" articles in The New York Times that covered the 1939 World's Fair. In four articles beginning October 9, two mention the donut spelling. Dunkin' Donuts, which was so-named in 1950, following its 1948 founding under the name Open Kettle (Quincy, Massachusetts), is the oldest surviving company to use the donut variation; other chains, such as the defunct Mayflower Doughnut Corporation (1931), did not use that spelling.[21] According to the Oxford Dictionary while "doughnut" is used internationally, the spelling "donut" is American.[22] The spelling "donut" remained rare until the 1950s, and has since grown significantly in popularity;[23] this growth in use has possibly been influenced by the spread of Dunkin' Donuts.[24]

- Wikimotherfuckingpedia

Wait a minute, edit, who is so involved with dowtfnuts that they take the time to research that stuff?

Somewhere out there, there are literal dosomethingsomethingnut gurus among us.

Edited by Wrecker

As one of this forums resident gun toting, bald eagle saluting, flag waiving red-blooded Americans, I can safely say the only correct spelling is whatever you want it to be because America is all about choices and freedom.

But don't you dare spell color or neighbor with a "u." That's how communists spell it.

On 3/21/2016 at 2:53 PM, Pignog said:

doughnaughts

Pretty much both doughnut and donut are transmuted homophones of this.  The middles of deep-fried pastry discs tend to be undercooked, so they're instead deep-fried as toruses so they have naught of the undercooked doughiness.

Also, I spell it "donut," but Firefox's US English dictionary insists on "doughnut."

19 minutes ago, DevilBear said:

As one of this forums resident gun toting, bald eagle saluting, flag waiving red-blooded Americans, I can safely say the only correct spelling is whatever you want it to be because America is all about choices and freedom.

But don't you dare spell color or neighbor with a "u." That's how communists spell it.

I'm going to colour my neighbour grey for his bad behaviour :VVVV

• Like 1

Shorter spellings lower the character count, which saves money on advertising. Considering that both spellings are generally considered acceptable, I'll go with the more efficient "donut".

*noms tasty donut*

Edited by Xaende

1 minute ago, Xaende said:

Shorter spellings lower the character count, which saves money on advertising. Considering that both spellings are generally considered acceptable, I'll go with the more efficient "donut".

*noms tasty donut*

shrtr splngs lwr th chrctr cnt, whc svs mny n advtsng. cnsdrng tht bth splngs r genrly consdrd acptble, il g w/ th mr efcnt dnt *nms tsty dnt*

Just now, Saxon said:

shrtr splngs lwr th chrctr cnt, whc svs mny n advtsng. cnsdrng tht bth splngs r genrly consdrd acptble, il g w/ th mr efcnt dnt *nms tsty dnt*

Well, one can only take this so far before it becomes ridiculous. Usage of both doughnut and donut are fairly common, however.