Canidae or Felidae: Which Is Superior?

Chrysocyon

Which is the best:  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Dogs or cats?

• Dogs
    • Cats
    • Dogs are just firm cats

They both have their pros and cons. I am not really a fan of either, but I have more personal experiences with dogs. One thing I like a lot more about cats though is that they aren't loud and needy like dogs are, at least when they get older. I've never liked dogs barking incessantly, and dogs that leap at you all the time. Cats don't annoy me like dogs do. I really hate little dogs too, because they are infamous for being yappy and temperamental.

I liked the German Shepherds I grew up with, though. They were very well-behaved and great companions. But you don't have to train cats to be quiet and stuff. I dunno...I guess I like cats better, on average!

Edited by Ieono

They both suck. Aliens all the way, extra points if they're a mixture of bovine + reptile

Lol If I had to actually choose I'd go for dogs. They're so sweet and loyal and affectionate, they will always stand by you. That and they can be giant silly goofballs. Not that cats can't be, it's just that I like dawgs more. By the way, if I don't slack up I'll show you pics of my corso dog tomorrow. She was such a cutie

@Käpt'n Cool photos! Those yours?

I have to always go with dogs because of personal bias and a lifelong fascination and living with them.

Funny enough I used to think I didnt like cats because my mom didnt like them, but then I realized cats are great and adorable and I dont have a reason to not like them that isnt my own, cats have flaws but so do dogs and I adore dogs.

31 minutes ago, Amiir said:

@Käpt'n Cool photos! Those yours?

I do take a lot of lemur photos, but this time I was lazy and just grabbed some from Google^^

Also, the only lemurs I got to shoot so far are

Black and white ruffed lemurs:

25902367625_5c2f25dbf3_b.jpgBlack and white Ruffed Lemur by Mathias Appel, auf Flickr

Red ruffed lemurs:

25554047270_116ccda57a_b.jpgRed Ruffed Lemur by Mathias Appel, auf Flickr

Ring-tailed lemurs:

20679748954_e66185cdea_b.jpgRing-Tailed Lemur by Mathias Appel, auf Flickr
(Check out my perfect basement tan!)

And a kind of broken looking greater bamboo lemur baby:

21592874330_922efc523c_b.jpgGreater bamboo lemur baby by Mathias Appel, auf Flickr

• Like 2

Majority vote is wrong sometimes, this being one of those cases. You're all horrible. ;-;

People who don't like cats simply don't know how to act around them. You cannot treat them like a dog and expect to not get your eyes clawed out for it. You have to treat them with a bit more dignity and respect than your average dog. Cat love is earned, unlike dog love, but once you've earned it it's amazing and special because you were chosen.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Kinare said:

Majority vote is wrong sometimes, this being one of those cases. You're all horrible. ;-;

People who don't like cats simply don't know how to act around them. You cannot treat them like a dog and expect to not get your eyes clawed out for it. You have to treat them with a bit more dignity and respect than your average dog. Cat love is earned, unlike dog love, but once you've earned it it's amazing and special because you were chosen.

So you're saying that cats will only love you if you suck up to them and give them food, whereas dogs will love you unconditionally, and that's why cats are better? :V

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MuttButt said:

So you're saying that cats will only love you if you suck up to them and give them food, whereas dogs will love you unconditionally, and that's why cats are better? :V

No. That's a stereotype that unfortunately is only common because people don't understand cats.

I have never once had a cat that matches the stereotypical cat because I know how to treat them so they actually like me.

This means more than food, and mine don't get nearly as much as they want anyways, they live by my rules - no fat cats.

This means giving them freedom, lots of affection, but also taunting them just as much as they taunt me (but knowing their limits so I don't get legit smacked). They know who is boss around the house, but since I give them a lot of freedom instead of restricting them there's a mutual respect. The only freedom they don't get that they want is being on counters. Protest squeak all you want ya lil buggers, I ain't changing that rule.

1 minute ago, Kinare said:

No. That's a stereotype that unfortunately is only common because people don't understand cats.

I have never once had a cat that matches the stereotypical cat because I know how to treat them so they actually like me.

This means more than food, and mine don't get nearly as much as they want anyways, they live by my rules - no fat cats.

This means giving them freedom, lots of affection, but also taunting them just as much as they taunt me (but knowing their limits so I don't get legit smacked). They know who is boss around the house, but since I give them a lot of freedom instead of restricting them there's a mutual respect. The only freedom they don't get that they want is being on counters. Protest squeak all you want ya lil buggers, I ain't changing that rule.

Oh hush, I know what you meant, I was only teasing you silly. I like both animals, but my heart will always belong to doggies <3

1 minute ago, MuttButt said:

Oh hush, I know what you meant, I was only teasing you silly. I like both animals, but my heart will always belong to doggies <3

I don't joke much about cats vs dogs. =p People tend to gang up on cats in such arguments and claim how shitty they are for what makes them special just because they don't understand or don't want to put in that little bit of extra effort.

I've never had to work hard to get a dog to like me, and it took me three years for my cat to show me regular affection. I do have to say though, when you finally get a cat to brush against you and purr without the promise of food, it's pretty awesome.

I've owned both at tone stage or another and picking which I'd prefer is a toughie. Objectively though, I'd give it to dogs.

I think cats and dogs are both endearing in their own way.
Dogs depend on you. They are loyal and try to integrate themselves into your "pack". They can be pretty stupid though and are pretty much screwed without you.
Cats on the other hand usually aren't as loyal. They show affection, but only when they want to. Pet their belly when they don't want you to and you get a fist full of claws right through your skin! They are also more like a roommate than a member of your family. They are just sort of there. They are much more independant though! And if you let your cat run around outside one day it might decide not to come back or to come back in a couple of days.

When it comes to survivability cats definitely trump dogs in every way. When you fall down the stairs and break your neck a dog is gonna be sad and is just gonna starve next to you out of love and loyalty. Also because it can't feed itself.
A cat won't give two shits about you, eats your corpse and then nobs off if it can manage to get out the house.

All in all I think cats are more badass, which is pretty awesome, but they can be massive pricks. Dogs are cute because they depend on us entirely but their stupidity can be aggravating at times.

14 hours ago, Kinare said:

You have to treat them with a bit more dignity and respect than your average dog.

> Implying that dogs aren't treated with the same amount of dignity and respect

10 hours ago, Amiir said:

> Implying that dogs aren't treated with the same amount of dignity and respect

They're not equally treated in many cases. Cats don't get chained up outside and/or left in outdoor kennels with very little room to roam for their entire lives. That's a common occurrence for dogs and seen as normal, whereas if a cat was treated the same way it would be seen as abuse. Dogs are seen as servants as well in many cases, cats are not. I could write a text wall full of examples if you really need it, but I think that sums up my point pretty nicely. Cats are definitely treated like gods in comparison to dogs, which is kinda ironic considering "god" spelled backwards is "dog"...

Edited by Kinare