Things that you love! v2

Sar

So, one of my neighbors asked me to fix his jeans.

Everyone at my apt knows I do sewing stuff. I'm surprised people don't ask me more. One Halloween the one 50 year old, who's a little off, half jokingly said I should make a costume for everyone there for free. Yea, um... 15 or so people.... fuck that. Now I know what artists feel when people demand free shit. I need a shirt that says "No I will not fix your computer, I will not fix your clothing or sew you shit, I will not fix your damn car" (the last one because the complex also sees me working on my car sometimes).

But this guy offered to pay me. It looked impossible, a giant ragged rip through the front of the jeans. And yet, I think I surprised myself and did a miracle.

riprepair1.jpgriprepair2.jpg

Like, seriously, I impress myself at how well fixed that rip was. Considering how ragged and huge it was, all I had to do was slightly overlap the edges before I patched it in back and then zig zagged down the line. I didn't realize how good I could be.

Now, try to get my own costumes done and it's nothing but gross sobbing...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Gator said:

^i need one of you around the house because my work pants are completely shot

Same here! Also: I have like 50+ shirts, and maybe 3 pairs of usable pants. It's always harder to find pants, somehow, or maybe, it seems like most pants are boring.

I love going to thrift store, and vintage places, but it seems I tend to find shirts 10 times as easy.

• Like 2

That is actually a pretty good sewing job you did, normally I'd be like "Uh I resign this as a rag". This reminds me, sewing was on the list of "things I need to learn how to do list".

The amazing crime fiction coming out of Italy...some really biting, socially relevant Noire stuff, particularly from Massimo Carlotto. I wish more things by him were translated...I've got two books on the way that I've not yet read, and am very eager!

Also, I signed up to this cool streaming service that has all these European detective shows, and some other stuff, called the Megahertz Network, so now I can watch the Italian version of the show, "Detective Montalbano', based on the books by Andrea Camilleri. Everything is subtitled, and for $7 a month, it seems worth it.

I watched the strangest show, a German Comedy (yes, there are such things), about a guy who cleans up the mess after grisly crimes have taken place...never thought I'd see such a thing, but it was pretty good. Sometimes I wanna watch TV, but most of it just bores me...I watch Bob's Burgers, and that's about it, and sometimes, older shows, or I'll find a BBC/British series I like. But nothing new in the US has hit me lately.

On 3/8/2017 at 5:59 PM, Shiro said:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It's probably the best game I've ever played. Just haven't had this much fun playing a video game before.

This entire video:

Especially the part with the Cuccos. Don't you know what happens when you hit a cucco a lot of times?

• Like 2

The idea of trying to find a Mediterranean climate to live in, eventually, where, say, it never goes much below 50, but not much above 80, and the sea is close at hand, and clean enough to swim in. But such regions are rare, and can often be costly; coastal CA, the south of France.

I have become increasingly fascinated by Sicily, where my ancestors came from, and as the Euro falls in value, and the US seems to be getting crappier, I think that maybe, I'll end up someplace like that, where I can dive for sponges off of craggy rocks, grow olives, and observe the periodic rumblings of the volcanoes, among so many weathered old buildings, and ancient runes.

I doubt I'll be able to afford to live in the US, after I stop working, so I wanna plan ahead, and look at other places...

Snow Days! We finally got a day off, and the University was closed. Really, did not snow all that much, but I had a great time hibernating, and being lazy. The major expedition of the day was to the 7-11 for an energy drink, a weakness of mine...

13 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

Russian orchestra doing Rammstein's Du Riechst so Gut.

'You smell so good'.

...charming.

I like this music though, thanks for sharing. C:

It also struck me that the words for 'smell' and 'smoke' in the Germanic languages are often interchangeable or very similar 'Riechen/Rauchen'. In Scots English there literally is no difference, a chimney 'reeks' and a rotten fish also 'reeks'.

It makes me wonder whether the original word for 'reek' was made up around a camp-fire, which is a romantic notion to imagine.

• Like 1

Corned Beef.

Stopped by a local Irish pub that is very authentic looking inside. Got a small table inside by the fireplace. Figured I'd go today because tomorrow's probably going to be packed. Almost ordered the seafood Shepard's pie, but saw they had a corned beef and cabbage dish and HAD to get it. Absolutely amazing.

Also, I was in and out in 40 minutes and the dish was only $10... will have to go there more often.

On 3/15/2017 at 10:39 AM, Saxon said:

'You smell so good'.

...charming.

The theme of the song is about some male stalker hunting his prey (a woman). The music video features werewolves.

I love a lot of hobo, hillbilly, bum, redneck, and tramp traditions before the Cold War, but especially the stuff they wrote and sang. 

Like Big Rock Candy Mountains and This Land is Your Land of course, but how poetry can be found in pretty much everything related to them, especially with hobos and bums. And everything is either heavily political, like nearly everything by Joe Hill, or a joke that still has some political weight to it, like Woodie Guthrie and his liked to do:

"This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright #154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin' it without our permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we don't give a dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote it, that's all we wanted to do."

• Like 1

Took my clonazepam yesterday, had a decent time shopping at Whole Foods with my mom, and my anxiety wasn't as bad as it usually is when I go out. Doesn't it sound sick that simply not being too anxious made me had one of the best days in a long time? All I fucking did was do light grocery shopping, and I felt a little bit of what I haven't felt in years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WolfyAmbassador said:

Took my clonazepam yesterday, had a decent time shopping at Whole Foods with my mom, and my anxiety wasn't as bad as it usually is when I go out. Doesn't it sound sick that simply not being too anxious made me had one of the best days in a long time? All I fucking did was do light grocery shopping, and I felt a little bit of what I haven't felt in years.

Nah, it doesn't sound sick. I've alternated between a low dose of clonazepam and diazapm for tmj and a feeling of dread/anxiety, and while not that I was kept from doing things, I always felt simply, physically  (painfully) tense...and after trying a LOT of other things I found drugs in this class made it able for em to enjoy things I used to again. It's nice to be able to feel relaxed enough to function like you want, and I'm happy you had a good day. (Not to mention, Whole Foods can be a rather taxing experience, even with drugs:) )

• Like 1