Uninterresting conversations

Nova

Ever had the feeling that a friend of yours talks with bout something that totally uninterresting.

One of my friends talked for a period of time only about GTA 5.

THEN I HAD IN FUCKING PRIMARY SCHOOL A CLASSMATE WHO ONLY TALKED ABOUT HARRY POTTER SMHH

And in middleschool there were kool boys who only talked about football.

I mostly dont listen and derp out.

Happened to anyone else.

Friends? What are those? :V

But, in my beautiful area of the Midwest, the most common subjects are:

• hunting
  • fishing
  • recreational vehicles

Speaking as someone who doesn't go outside much, 

ARRERRGRGGRGRGRRRHHHHHH

Edited by Endless/Nameless
  • Like 3

I can't stand it when people talk about sports, politics, religion, current events, activism, culture, science, technology, cars, chores, food, art, music, literature, weather, animals, video games, movies, comics, television, cartoons, performances, history, nature, sex, themselves, me, school, work, and the internet

When people start talking about those things I just get so angry and flip out at them, can't they talk about anything interesting??

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SirRob said:

I can't stand it when people talk about sports, politics, religion, current events, activism, culture, science, technology, cars, chores, food, art, music, literature, weather, animals, video games, movies, comics, television, cartoons, performances, history, nature, sex, themselves, me, school, work, and the internet

When people start talking about those things I just get so angry and flip out at them, can't they talk about anything interesting??

Yeah, I'm tired of people not talking about sticks in the woods, Sherwin Williams brand paint, and the effects of placing your hand in a hydraulic press. Gets really annoying.

• Like 4

i can't stand to discuss pretty much anything for more than a couple minutes before i need a change of subject. 

the readings on my Attention Span-o-Meter decrease when you...

-are a person i don't like or didn't want to talk to in the first place (you get 5 automatic "i'm not listening" points for that unfriendly attitude, son)

-drag out a topic by saying the same thing in different ways or continuing to explain after i've gotten the point

-talk about something we've already discussed without bringing up any new points

-complain about things we both know you have the power to fix but won't

-yammer on aimlessly about inane shit (like how nancy from church has a daughter who just had a kid and they showed up at the potato salad social and she's married now and their neighbor john recently redid his cabinets and you were thinking about getting your cabinets done but you can't decide on whether to paint them ecru or eggshell and you might go to the hardware store later to look at paint swatches and the hardware store is having a sale on refrigerators even though you aren't actually buying one)

-interrupt me

-ignore or brush off something i just said so you can bring up your oh-so-important topic instead

-tell me all about your day, then completely change subjects without even asking me about mine (buttface)

-talk about celebrities, video games, shows i don't watch, movies i haven't seen, or books i haven't read

-go on about your dislike for a thing that i either enjoy or don't mind/care about

and probably other stuff

not saying i've never done these, myself.  some of them i even do pretty frequently, i'm sure.  but that's why nobody talks to me and i don't talk to nobody.  it works out just fine.

• Like 1

I don't really like small talk.

Boring "how is your day/kids/work/weather" type stuff is gonna rank pretty low on things that will hold my interest.

I also don't like being talked AT, when someone wants to talk about something and vent their frustrations but they don't actually want to hear what I think they just want an excuse to talk. 

People who keep trying to convince me that the thing I don't like is really a good thing and I'm being silly for not liking it. Especially when the thing in question is a trivial matter of personal taste ( see: pickles, gravy,  spiderman, teacup versions of dogs/pigs). Spiderman is an obnoxious piece of garbage and I hate almost every iteration of him and no amount of making me give him "one more try" will ever change my mind at this point. 

Your boyfriend/gf is a topic I can tolerate in small bursts but people gushing on and on about their overly sugary love life is grating. 

Your LACK of boyfriend/gf, I can tolerate this in even smaller bursts before I get tired of hearing that you're lonely and no one likes you.

People telling me they're suicidal when they don't mean it. I really can't stand that, if you're just thinking about suicide on a whim because you're kinda sad at the moment but you and I both know it's gonna pass and you'll get over it by tomorrow don't tell me you're going to kill yourself. I have had too many close calls with people who are ACTUALLY depressed to wanna waste time on false alarms. 

I find it to be the worst when it is obvious that the other person doesn't actually have anything to talk about at all, but still feel the need to continually talk. I have had a few long car rides with one of these people, in which they are clearly struggling to think of anything to say (even resorting to commenting on the weather or other cars) but seem to feel that if there was silence we would both surely die...

i also have this one friend who is a Halo fanatic and is always ready to talk at anyone about Halo or his scripts (which are usually poorly disguised Halo fan-fiction). I made the mistake of living with him in college, and was punished for this by being forced to listen to excerpts from his poorly written scripts quite a few times and also long rants about Halo (as I was unlucky enough to have played Halo casually at the time, so he believed I was as obsessed as he was with it).

Needless to say, I have not kept in tough with him...

5 hours ago, XoPachi said:

Yeah, I'm tired of people not talking about sticks in the woods, Sherwin Williams brand paint, and the effects of placing your hand in a hydraulic press. Gets really annoying.

I hate it when when I'm walking through the woods and looking at mushrooms and someone doesn't know what an ascocarp or hymenomycota is :V

OP, did you honestly feel it was ever the case someone is simply interested in every subject anyone ever brings up in conversation? I'm into a lot of weird subjects, so I'm usually careful about picking a topic with certain people.

I prefer interesting friends.  However, colleagues at work are an entirely different matter.  I've run into some very uninteresting fellows.  Most of them know by now I prefer not to chat.    I try to avoid them when I see them coming like pretend my phone is buzzing or escaping into a nearby elevator.  It's like hearing "...at band camp" constantly when they appear.  I probably stress more than they do during chance encounters.  

You may be free to talk about whatever you want, but we're also free to be irked about it. 

We're also free to talk about being irked by it. 

And you're free to talk about being irked about us talking about being irked by it. 

But it's not ok to be rude. 

• Like 2

Of course the great irony here is that most people have boring conversations because they are afraid of inking the people they are talking to.  So this thread has been derailed because some people stated (perhaps sarcastically) that this thread about boring conversations was boring, and some people became inked. So the thread about boring conversations became interesting in direct contradiction of all the reasons most conversations stay boring.  Go Team Phoenix!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Everything I talk about is uninteresting. Any time I talk I just seem to make people angry. It'd be better if I just never spoke.

I know right? People seem to run away or look at me like they want me to shut up whenever I talk! Let's get together, we can be miserable together!

i occasionally like listening to people, but it's back and forth. like i think it just really depends on the way someone tells me about something. if it's a topic offered in a way that can be engaging, then i'm usually pretty interested, but if it's just having something told at me inconsequentially i tune out.

• Like 1

Sports.

I really don't give a fuck about Football (American), basketball (not since Jordan retired for good), Hockey, or NASCAR. It's like "whoopdie fucking doo, they did a thing and you sat on your ass for three hours watching it. You want a fucking cookie?" "OMG the team won the game!!!" Why should I care? My only connection to this shit is: I have to ring out all the snacks the local sports fans buy so they can continue watching them do a thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGreatFanatic said:

I know a guy that only talks about FNaF.

Dude he's literally the worst omg

I have a friend who really likes to unsubtley remind you he knows more about tech than you. Like he'll bring it up in anything. He's still my friend but it's literally become a running joke behind his back.

On 6/23/2016 at 7:17 AM, SirRob said:

Explain to me what isnt on that list, please

2 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

There's two in town and I've never been to either of them

Well, you are truly missing out on a great product and brand by not visiting either of these fine Sherwin Williams stores, let me tell you some of the great advantages of Sherwin Williams brand paints over their competitors....

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Osrik said:

Well, you are truly missing out on a great product and brand by not visiting either of these fine Sherwin Williams stores, let me tell you some of the great advantages of Sherwin Williams brand paints over their competitors....

I'm thinking about going with Behr instead of Sherwin Williams. They have a large selection of greys and off-whites to choose from.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xaende said:

I'm thinking about going with Behr instead of Sherwin Williams. They have a large selection of greys and off-whites to choose from.

That may be true, but can Behr really compare with Sherwin Williams when it comes to quality? With 150 years of experience, you can be sure of the quality of a Sherwin Williams brand paint like no other, and with over 1,500 colors to choose from, it is almost certain that there exists a color of Sherman Williams brand paint to your liking.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SkyboundTerror said:

I love small talk. It can often lead to very interesting conversations, and small talk is easy enough for anyone to jump in. People who hate it need to stop being anti-social.

.eJwNyMENwyAMAMBdGAADBiyyDSKIpEpqhN1Xld3

So how is the weather where you are?

• Like 1