Failures Thread

Endless/Nameless

Have you forgotten something today? flopped a new skill? Misses a goal? Share it here no matter how dreadful or huge! Feel free to also set unattainable goals for posterity, give a time frame for that goal and then post again with whether you failed or failed. I'll start just as an example.

I failed to leave an example. :C

• Like 1

Well, I was going to do my homework earlier, but then I got an automated call telling me we're getting a couple more days off to make time for the schools to recover after the hurricane. 

I guess now's a better time than ever to [attempt to] stop procrastinating. See you guys in the accomplishments thread.

lol yeah right

• Like 1

I have massively failed to get gift art of people's characters done in a reasonable amount of time. 6 or so people have waited a year and it is looking at my past FA notes that has made me act to finish things. If they had noted me for progress I would have had every one done by now.

Naturally I won't let this happen with any commissions I may get in the future if I ever start offering them.

8 hours ago, Lopaw said:

I have massively failed to get gift art of people's characters done in a reasonable amount of time. 6 or so people have waited a year and it is looking at my past FA notes that has made me act to finish things. If they had noted me for progress I would have had every one done by now.

Naturally I won't let this happen with any commissions I may get in the future if I ever start offering them.

You should probably tell them it's not going to happen.

In my senior year I was talked into taking calculus. Never before have I ever failed so hard. That was the only class I ever failed, and this is after going to tutoring every week and still not having a fucking clue what was going on.

At least where I'm going I don't need calc.

• Like 1

Just now, Sylver said:

It's extremely easy if you have the right teacher.

If you break it down, it becomes simple addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It's just arranged a bit differently.

FUCK THAT

I NEVER WANT TO TOUCH CALC EVER AGAIN

There are some memories I try to keep down, and calc is one of them.

• Like 1

I am the failure.

1 minute ago, Sylver said:

If you break it down, it becomes simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It's just arranged a bit differently.

This essentially applies to all math. Formulas are just shorthanded with extensive crazy ass symbols that represent variables, constants and functions which you have to memorize to solve them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sylver said:

It's extremely easy if you have the right teacher.

If you break it down, it becomes simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It's just arranged a bit differently on the page.

Mathematics education in the United States is among the worst in the developed world and calculus is a massive jump in difficulty from college algebra/trigonometry if you were trained, like most students are, to simply identify variables and plug a formula into a TI-84.

• Like 5

My dog got diarrhea from eating something bad at the dog park, and he heard me wake up in the morning and in anticipation of being brought outside, couldn't hold his shit any longer and shit three times in his bed

i run out of my room to the sound of my dog whine-screaming and manically digging out of his crate while the smell of of diarrhea blasts my face 

2 minutes ago, Saxon said:

@Gamedog I hope your pet feels better soon.

Thanks!

he's good now, he bounces back immediately. All he did was hunch over like he needed to shit, for like 30 mins and I was like okay we are having an "outside day" today. Kept him outside with me and he got right back to noemal

wish I knew what he ate though. One time at the dog park he ate moldy dog puke??

1 minute ago, Gamedog said:

Thanks!

he's good now, he bounces back immediately. All he did was hunch over like he needed to shit, for like 30 mins and I was like okay we are having an "outside day" today. Kept him outside with me and he got right back to noemal

wish I knew what he ate though. One time at the dog park he ate moldy dog puke??

I saw a dog eat a shit at the park, then run over to lick its owner.

EW EW EW EW

10 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I saw a dog eat a shit at the park, then run over to lick its owner.

EW EW EW EW

This is why I don't let them lick my face, LOL

people find me weird for that though? I do not like dogs on furniture, in beds, or licking my face. I've seen my dog sneak a piece of cat shit once, and I've seen him eat rotting, moldy, dirty, dead rats on the side of the road

yesterday he picked up a maggoty baby squirrel in his mouth

4 minutes ago, Gamedog said:

This is why I don't let them lick my face, LOL

people find me weird for that though? I do not like dogs on furniture, in beds, or licking my face. I've seen my dog sneak a piece of cat shit once, and I've seen him eat rotting, moldy, dirty, dead rats on the side of the road

yesterday he picked up a maggoty baby squirrel in his mouth

I just don't like dogs, ha.

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

When do you begin learning Calculus in the USA?

Depends on the state. Most students have the option to take pre-calculus and/or trig in their third year of high school, but calculus itself isn't even a requirement to graduate or anything 

the only time someone will learn it is if they're taking AP courses

29 minutes ago, willow said:

Depends on the state. Most students have the option to take pre-calculus and/or trig in their third year of high school, but calculus itself isn't even a requirement to graduate or anything 

the only time someone will learn it is if they're taking AP courses

That is surprising. I would have imagined it would be a requirement for graduation.

1 hour ago, Onnes said:

Do UK students have to study Calculus outside of A-level or other optional programs?

I had to do it last year as part of the maths unit on my engineering course and I expect it to it to come round again in the second year. Most vocational courses in the UK that focus on math-heavy job sectors like engineering and chemistry include this unit or similar.

I feared it until I found there are inergration and differentiation tables to tell you what to do with each term you encounter.

I found loads of US unit/module (whatever they are called ) things like calculus 1 , calculus 2 and pre calculus when I googled for further help understanding and some of those where a bit beyond me though not by much.

2 hours ago, Onnes said:

Do UK students have to study Calculus outside of A-level or other optional programs?

When I did my Maths GCSE (Pre-A-level), which is mandatory, calculus was part of the course. However I am not certain whether this is equivalent to the calculus that Americans can opt to take.

6 hours ago, Cannakitty said:

I'm not wearing any underwear. My genitals are cold.

I hope your genitals feel warmer soon!

~

I failed to go to sleep till the sun came up...went over with my mate to some friends, and stayed up all night, watching old cartoons, and compilations of strange old PSAs, ads, and other odd stff. And saw a goon number of episodes of Get Smart---easily my favorite 1960s TV show.

So now I hope I don't fail to get my schedule kinda sorta back on track, for tomorrow.

23 minutes ago, Saxon said:

When I did my Maths GCSE (Pre-A-level), which is mandatory, calculus was part of the course. However I am not certain whether this is equivalent to the calculus that Americans can opt to take.

I don't recall calculus being taught in GCSE maths, unless the government have decided recently to make it harder again by changing the spec for the millionth time. I do know it has been taught in A-level maths since forever.

Just now, Lopaw said:

I don't recall calculus being taught in GCSE maths, unless the government have decided recently to make it harder again by changing the spec for the millionth time. I do know it has been taught in A-level maths since forever.

Yup, when I did GCSE maths a standard question was about figuring the area enclosed by a leaf described by two lines.

and I was really surprised that A-level physics doesn't rely on any calculus at all; I used an integral in one lesson, when I was showing how I had solved a problem, and the teacher told me to re-write the expression as a product to avoid using the summation. ._.

1 hour ago, Sir Gibby said:

I can't program

like I fuck around with C# and know all the basics to make something but I'm so stumped when it actually comes to building something from the ground-up, it's like I have this huge stage fright or writers block or something

i have no idea how to begin

A blank canvas is intimidating no matter the medium, even in programming.

• Like 3