Election Megathread 2016

DrGravitas

In a way, Rassah is right. I know which shitty people to avoid at this point, irl and online. 

I already saw a "Put back White in the Whitehouse" shirt today, I super needed this too. 

9 minutes ago, BlitzCo said:

Reminder that if you threaten to move to Canada or wherever else after an election, you more than likely aren't gonna do shit. 

tbh if you aren't like a doctor or a millionaire oz and canada won't even let you try, even a lot of their work visa programs now aren't in use because nobody has any jobs up there and they fight hard against foreigners taking them, even ones who want to become canadians.

otherwise I'd be in british columbia like three years ago haha

• Like 1

This is really fucking bad, allow me to explain:

The house and senate are both controlled by the republican party, which means they can pass just about every single bill they want.

What's so bad about that, you ask?

We have a president and vice president who do not care and actively hate latinos, blacks, muslims, womens, and the lgbt community. And they get to elect the next supreme court nominee.

As in, the super conservative side literally has no checks and balances, the senate and the house will both pass their bills, the president will not veto, and the supreme court will rule in favor of "christian rights".

There is no way that this is not bad, my only hope is the FBI now investigates trumps russian ties and removes him from the presidency, but even if they do that..... we have mike pence, a complete and total bigot from lgbt hating christian bigotville.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Johanna Waya said:

The house and senate are both controlled by the republican party, which means they can pass just about every single bill they want.

It's just as well that the Federal Reserve, commercial banks and other financial/non-financial businesses control both parties of Republicans and Democrats.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

I think the democratic party won't exist next year.

20161109_061932.png

20161109_063225.png

They'll exist just fine until the US (and global) system of trade and finance collapses.

It's a shame that people can be so divided over elections, but it's understandable since most people believe that voting for the same two parties makes any real difference (on the big picture at least).

Good news is that gold spiked up. If you have gold, hang onto it. 

1 hour ago, Gamedog said:

Had a nightmare last night that my neighborhood had turned into Germany

glad Americans won't face that problem now 

America was never in danger in turning into Germany. We have white supremacists putting the fear of god in many of them, and that was before President meme machine was running for president.

10 hours ago, Johanna Waya said:

We have a president and vice president who do not care and actively hate latinos, blacks, muslims, womens, and the lgbt community. And they get to elect the next supreme court nominee.

The president does not actively hate latinos, blacks, muslims, womens, and lgbt. He likely couldn't care less. The media spin about how terrible some people are just take things way overboard, and cause a whole lot of stress and strife for people as a result :(

As for the next supreme court nominee, don't forget that the two liberal justices Sandra Day O'Connor and Anthony Kennedy were both places there by a republican, Reagan, who incidentally was also an actor like Trump (cause that's what Trump is. After his businesses failed, he's been making money in acting)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gamedog said:

I like how people claim Trump hates gays and women despite one of his main criticisms against Hillary was that she received funds from the leader of a country who actively kills gays and women

Who's claiming that? Trump doesn't hate women, he only hates ugly women like Star Wolf's sister, Rosie O'Donnell

4 minutes ago, Gamedog said:

I like how people claim Trump hates gays and women despite one of his main criticisms against Hillary was that she received funds from the leader of a country who actively kills gays and women

Yeah, but Trump is white and Saudis are brown and, by definition, oppressed by whitey.

6 minutes ago, SirRob said:

Who's claiming that? Trump doesn't hate women, he only hates ugly women like Star Wolf's sister, Rosie O'Donnell

Libs and dems online

you cant tell me you haven't seen this shit online 

4 minutes ago, Hux said:

Yeah, but Trump is white and Saudis are brown and, by definition, oppressed by whitey.

Shit I forgot

Cute.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-wins-racist-slurs-kristallnacht-anniversary-philadelphia-a7408391.html
Anti-Semitic graffiti sprayed on shops in Philadelphia.

Of course Philly is a shithole though. That's why Will Smith left.

12 hours ago, Johanna Waya said:

This is really fucking bad, allow me to explain:

I think people have missed this.

You guys will say "Trump is president, it's only a figurehead, he doesn't have power."

Not exactly. The executive branch is 1/3 of the government, and while Trump can't do everything, he can still veto things, do executive orders, run and control the departments under him, and he controls the military. So if some country pisses him off he could easily tell the generals to go bomb it and they'd have to do it, else it would be disobeying an order from a commanding officer.

Plus, now Republicans control the entire government. They have the presidency, and majorities (not super-majorities) in both houses. And a vice that's a fundie. At least with Obama, if the GOP did something stupid he could veto it. Will that happen with Trump?

Trump might not do much against LGBT people, then again he might. But the GOP might see this as an opportunity to screw over the LGBT community hard. Like, a possible law or amendment against gay marriage. Or regulations and laws against gays much like they have picked away at abortion rights with laws. And with a new Supreme Court justice being conservative, and other current justices being old and possibly dying in 4 or 8 years, we might have a SCOTUS that's conservative and okay with gay rights going away.

So, for all the people here who voted conservatives and/or Trump, if this comes back to screw you over, don't expect any sympathy from me.

17 hours ago, Another Ampers& said:

why does god keep using florida to punish us

It's the dick of America.

18 hours ago, Battlechili said:

Even now, Rassah finds a way to bring up Bitcoin

At this point, Rassah self-promotes himself so much it's become masturbation.

18 hours ago, Rassah said:

The last time I talked about bitcoin here, it was at $415. It is now at $735. So yeah...

I think you constantly forget your audience. The average user here does not have $735 free money just lying around, let alone $415.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

Not exactly. The executive branch is 1/3 of the government, and while Trump can't do everything, he can still veto things, do executive orders, run and control the departments under him, and he controls the military. So if some country pisses him off he could easily tell the generals to go bomb it and they'd have to do it, else it would be disobeying an order from a commanding officer.

JFK also had a lot of authority, but once he stepped on too many important toes...

3 hours ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

JFK also had a lot of authority, but once he stepped on too many important toes...

Am I a bad person for thinking that I wouldn't mind that what happened to Kennedy would also happen to Trump? Preferably in one of his "Let's make America great again" speeches

15 hours ago, Gamedog said:

I like how people claim Trump hates gays

"trump hates gays" is obviously an exaggeration, but i mean he appointed a guy who equated homosexuality to bestiality as an advisor, and has in his actual party platform, in writing, that he'll undo anti-lgbt discrimination laws

so he doesn't appear to have a particularly positive track record so far on the issue

e: "trump hates women" is also obviously an exaggeration, but the person he elected as VP has spent most of his entire career or something trying to defund planned parenthood, so there's that

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

Am I a bad person for thinking that I wouldn't mind that what happened to Kennedy would also happen to Trump? Preferably in one of his "Let's make America great again" speeches

It wouldn't fix anything. The age of the heroic individual is over. Has been for decades, a century even. You don't vote for a person, you vote for a symbol; a system. You vote in an administration of people, centered around an authority who negotiations and organizes it. Kill Trump and his replacement will still follow a similar path, with minor variability. It's a stable, robust system that gives you one big chance to influence its overall course. Influence now will have to go through the hard way.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

It wouldn't fix anything. The age of the heroic individual is over. Has been for decades, a century even. You don't vote for a person, you vote for a symbol; a system. You vote in an administration of people, centered around an authority who negotiations and organizes it. Kill Trump and his replacement will still follow a similar path, with minor variability. It's a stable, robust system that gives you one big chance to influence its overall course. Influence now will have to go through the hard way.

At least we still live in a democratic society, meaning we can vote for our policy makers, instead of having a monarchy/dictatorship where the successor of the head of state is handpicked and indoctrinated by an absolute autocrat (Kings, tyrant, dictators etc. ) 

If you look at North Korea, an absolute opposite to a democratic society, you can notice it's a VERY backwards country and barely anything has changed there for the last 60 years because it is ruled by an authoritian dynasty

So you got some relative progress, which is why I'd take a chance with having an even worse president (especially If I lived in US), even though your domestic policies and decisions have very little to no influence on my country for away from you. 

Edited by Snagged Cub
At least you get another chance to roll the dice for the next president in 4 years
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

At least we still live in a democratic society, meaning we can vote for our policy makers, instead of having a monarchy/dictatorship where the successor of the head of state is handpicked and indoctrinated by an absolute autocrat (Kings, tyrant, dictators etc. ) 

If you look at North Korea, an absolute opposite to a democratic society, you can notice it's a VERY backwards country and barely anything has changed there for the last 60 years because it is ruled by an authoritian dynasty

So you got some relative progress, which is why I'd take a chance with having an even worse president (especially If I lived in US), even though your domestic policies and decisions have very little to no influence on my country for away from you. 

The last administration was not the first. It took 8 years to fix a fraction of the accumulated mistakes, with factions dragging their heels the entire way and new ones being made (as every administration does). Now, one party has again been given free reign with the expressed purpose of undoing the miniscule amount of progress that has been made. It's not just the Presidency, its the Senate, the House, and soon perhaps even the judiciary.

In 4 years we will be back in exactly the same place and what will we have to show for it? Countless missed opportunities as the world continues forward while we fight over the same stupid issues and quietly trashing important, but less noticeable and flashy, works.

• Like 1

The last post I made got me thinking

The elections is like rolling dice.

Rolling dice isn't random. The side to which the dice will land on is based on gravity and other laws of physics. It's just so complex to predict how these laws will determine the side of the dice. Elections aren't random either but the result is not certain and cannot be predicted in advance before the die is cast. You wish for numbers that yields a best possible outcome for you and the people you care about. In this case, the numbers you wish for represents your candidate you will be voting for. But just because you wish doesn't mean the result you wish for is guaranteed to happen. The dice may roll to the sides that show an unfavorable number for you but for some, is is favorable, either directly where a fortunate event happens to them or indirectly where an unfortunate event happens to you or both (e.g another player gets to steal a token from you). In terms of politics, rolling an unfavorable number means a candidate you don't like and who you definitely did not vote for got elected whereas rolling a favorable number means the candidate you voted for got elected and will support policies that are favorable to you and people you care about.

The exception here is that instead of having the static laws of physics to determine the number you roll, the number is determined by the voters, which is a variable, which is why a democracy works; It avoids the pitfall of stagnation better than (more) static options.

How the variability effects the dice rolling, imagine the same as rolling dice just normally except that the laws of physics are slightly different every time the dice are rolled, which makes the resulting side and the number of the die even harder to predict (it's already hard enough to predict even with static laws)

---

I don't know if this is appropriate for this thread but it's about elections in general and I needed to vent out this little "showerthought" out

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

I'm afraid that the USA just like UK, Australia, Russia, Canada, New Zealand, and other developed countries have non-elected policy makers, at least when it comes to the "big picture" stuff like foreign policy, business relations, etc.

The elected government of the day gets some say in the way things are run (eg gay marriage, which potholes get fixed first) but ultimately their overall direction is provided by an oligarchy of private and public interests. Many financial and non-financial entities also exert influence outside of the country they're based in.

In rough order of the level of influence in most developed countries, descending:

-The central bank in most countries is a privately owned and operated entity that is given the exclusive powers such as setting monetary policy and controlling the supply of money.

Controlling the supply of money is a vastly underestimated yet critical function, as it allows the central bank to essentially buy out almost whoever and whatever they need to. If they come across someone who refuses to be bought out they can usually use their control of the money supply to pay others to otherwise influence the intransigent element or otherwise deal with them.

They do not normally act directly in such cases but usually through other financial (eg banks) and non-financial parties to influence key individuals and organizations when needed. When you combine these powers with the fact that central banks intrinsically have strong connections with heads of business and government due to their function in the society and economy this makes them the most influential entity within a country and their influence usually affects other countries as well.

It's not surprising that many of them (eg the European Central Bank) also have special laws drafted just for them such as immunity from investigation and prosecution.

Examples: European Central Bank, Federal Reserve Bank

-The largest commercial banks and other financial organizations are the next most influential entities. This is due to the vast reserves of money they command but also due to similar reasons of the central bank: they perform critical functions in both trade and finance and are also linked with big and small businesses & governments of all sorts due to the nature of their role. They act as the lubricant between the gears of the economy.

Examples: Goldman Sachs, Westpac

-The largest non-financial businesses come next. Due to their size, economies of scale that they provide and the market share they command they typically have great connections with higher-ups in government, financial businesses and non-financial businesses in their own and connected sectors. They are the massive gears in the economy that do some of the heavy lifting, so to speak.

Examples: Monsanto, Google

-Midsize and smaller businesses and non-government organizations are unsurprisingly the next most influential. They're more organized than individuals but they just don't have the same weight as bigger and more systemically critical entities do in influencing the wider system. Unions and citizen/consumer rights groups would typically fit into this category as well.

Examples: Focus Home Interactive, Electronic Frontier Foundation, your local fruit & veg shop

-The average voter.

Examples: Guess who

Important notes:

-The above order does not mean that a socioeconomic system is a 100% top-down ordered affair. It's more of a web of various organizations & influential individuals which sometimes have interests that overlap and sometimes have opposing interests. This helps explain why policies of both public and private entities can appear schizophrenic at times.

-Religion is a special type of organization whose influence can vary a lot depending on the region and country. Where religions operate their influence is usually between midsize and large entities. In some extreme cases they may be among the most influential entities.

-Organized groupings of entities allow such entities to punch above their weight so to speak. Trade associations and price-fixing cartels are common examples.

Examples: Motion Picture Association of America, De Beers

-While the average voter comprises the vast majority of the world's populace their influence (at least when it comes to big picture policy decisions) is smaller than their numbers would suggest because they lack the level of organization characterized by the "establishment" (eg big businesses, banks). There is somewhat of an exception when it comes to citizen rights groups like EFF and unions and such but ultimately these entities do not have the clout to directly take on larger, more influential entities (most of the time anyway).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

Candidates for executive positions are starting to be considered. Speculation at the moment, but even the best of the probable candidates look pretty bad: http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/11/speculation-begins-on-trumps-picks-for-science-energy-agencies/

As Chris Christie is the one in charge of the transition team, it's also quite likely to be a rather corrupt group of individuals, probably including Christie himself in some important position (I guess there is a small positive there; we in NJ will be rid of him a year early...).

2 hours ago, Snagged Cub said:

Then you would just have Pence, a born-again Christian who thinks gay marriage signals "societal collapse", wants to send LGBTQ people to controversial Christian conversion camps (which have been denounced by physiologists as pseudoscience, and banned in a number of states as it pushes many attendees to suicide), and strongly opposes abortion and Planned Parenthood... so he could potentially be worse than Trump for minorities and women.

However, it is already likely he will be a strong VP under Trump, given that he will likely provide the bridge between Trump and the Republican Party establishment, so we are likely to see actions to dismantle LGBTQ and other minority rights regardless.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kazooie said:

"trump hates gays" is obviously an exaggeration, but i mean he appointed a guy who equated homosexuality to bestiality as an advisor, and has in his actual party platform, in writing, that he'll undo anti-lgbt discrimination laws

so he doesn't appear to have a particularly positive track record so far on the issue

e: "trump hates women" is also obviously an exaggeration, but the person he elected as VP has spent most of his entire career or something trying to defund planned parenthood, so there's that

Oh my god

why don't you people understand that these laws were passed through SCOTUS. Trump can't just write away gay marriage and anti discrimination laws

holy shit

why do y'all fear monger so much, take a xanax

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gamedog said:

Oh my god

why don't you people understand that these laws were passed through SCOTUS. Trump can't just write away gay marriage and anti discrimination laws

holy shit

why do y'all fear monger so much, take a xanax

i didnt say trump was going to write away gay marriage laws

3 hours ago, Sir Gibby said:

xwrCocR.png

Holy fuck thank you

these last few days have been shit for me and this is the first time I've seriously laughed 

Just now, kazooie said:

i didnt say trump was going to write away gay marriage laws

You just said he was going to do away with anti desc laws

gay marriage and abortion was earlier in thread 

• Guest locked this topic