Things That You Don't Understand!

FenrirDarkWolf

I was talking with my friends about some things parents did that was surprisingly common as kids. Just really weird mentalities and restrictions our parents used to give us. 
Odd, annoying, little stuff. Like this was a common one: If you went outside to play and you came back in the house for literally anything after any amount of time, you were done for the day. And apparently, some parents took it one step further. If they looked out the window and saw their kid, they'd tell them it was time to come in. 

Then my favorite. If you were visibly, genuinely too sick to go to school and had to stay home, it was basically Grounded Lite. 
"Oh, you're sick so you can't play video games."  That...that doesn't make any sense. I have the flu, I'm not impaired. :l
"If you're too sick to go to school, you're too sick to use the computer. This isn't a day off." YES IT IS! D:<

On 7/15/2017 at 9:05 AM, Tsuujou said:

I was talking with my friends about some things parents did that was surprisingly common as kids. Just really weird mentalities and restrictions our parents used to give us. 
Odd, annoying, little stuff. Like this was a common one: If you went outside to play and you came back in the house for literally anything after any amount of time, you were done for the day. And apparently, some parents took it one step further. If they looked out the window and saw their kid, they'd tell them it was time to come in. 

Then my favorite. If you were visibly, genuinely too sick to go to school and had to stay home, it was basically Grounded Lite. 
"Oh, you're sick so you can't play video games."  That...that doesn't make any sense. I have the flu, I'm not impaired. :l
"If you're too sick to go to school, you're too sick to use the computer. This isn't a day off." YES IT IS! D:<

boy, i remember that one

my parents didn't call me back inside, though; they did the opposite.  to the point that i remember spending a 90+ degree day sitting in front of a fan in the garage because it was too hot to actually play outside but i wasn't allowed in the house.

2 hours ago, Gator said:

boy, i remember that one

my parents didn't call me back inside, though; they did the opposite.  to the point that i remember spending a 90+ degree day sitting in front of a fan in the garage because it was too hot to actually play outside but i wasn't allowed in the house.

Oh I've seen that one too actually. Good intentions at least to force your kids to get some exercise, but not in extreme temperatures like that. lol
I used to fucking hate that shit. My dad did that. Would NOT let me back in the house. Used to piss me the Hell off.

• Like 1

Things I don't understand: the parents in this thread.

I was allowed to play videogames and go outside and do things if I was feeling up to it when I was home sick.
My parents thought the Vitamin D from the sun would be good for me.
I was just told to keep away from where teachers and stuff could see me.

2e 2e 2e 20 2d 2e 2d 2d 20 2f 20 2d 20 2e 2e 2e 2e 20 2e 20 2f 20 2e 2e 2d 2e 20 2e 2e 2d 20 2d 2e 2d 2e 20 2d 2e 2d 20 2f 20 2e 2e 20 2e 2e 2e 20 2f 20 2d 20 2e 2e 2e 2e 20 2e 20 2e 2d 2e 20 2e 20 2f 20 2e 2d 20 2f 20 2e 2d 2e 20 2e 20 2e 2e 2e 2d 20 2d 2d 2d 20 2e 2d 2e 2e 20 2e 2e 2e 2d 20 2e 20 2e 2d 2e 20 2f 20 2d 2d 2d 20 2d 2e 20 2f 20 2d 20 2e 2e 2e 2e 20 2e 20 2f 20 2d 20 2e 2d 20 2d 2e 2e 2e 20 2e 2d 2e 2e 20 2e 20 2e 2e 2d 2d 2e 2e 20 2f 20 2d 20 2e 2e 2e 2e 20 2e 2e 20 2e 2e 2e 20 2f 20 2e 2e 20 2e 2e 2e 20 2f 20 2e 2d 2d 20 2e 2e 2e 2e 20 2d 2e 2d 2d 20 2f 20 2e 2d 2d 2e 20 2e 20 2d 2d 2d 20 2e 2d 2d 2e 20 2e 2d 2e 2e 20 2e 20 2f 20 2d 2e 2d 2e 20 2e 2d 20 2d 2e 20 2e 2d 2d 2d 2d 2e 20 2d 20 2f 20 2e 2d 2e 2e 20 2e 20 2e 2d 20 2e 2e 2e 2d 20 2e 20 2f 20 2d 20 2e 2e 2e 2e 20 2e 2e 20 2e 2e 2e 20 2f 20 2e 2e 2d 2e 20 2e 2e 2d 20 2d 2e 2d 2e 20 2d 2e 2d 20 2e 2e 20 2d 2e 20 2d 2d 2e 20 2f 20 2e 2d 2d 2e 20 2e 2d 2e 2e 20 2e 2d 20 2d 2e 2d 2e 20 2e 20 2e 2d 2e 2d 2e 2d 0d 0a

This is a serious matter. 

14 hours ago, Silo said:

2e 2e 2e 20 2d 2e 2d 2d 20 2f 20 2d 20 2e 2e 2e 2e 20 2e 20 2f 20 2e 2e 2d 2e 20 2e 2e 2d 20 2d 2e 2d 2e 20 2d 2e 2d 20 2f 20 2e 2e 20 2e 2e 2e 20 2f 20 2d 20 2e 2e 2e 2e 20 2e 20 2e 2d 2e 20 2e 20 2f 20 2e 2d 20 2f 20 2e 2d 2e 20 2e 20 2e 2e 2e 2d 20 2d 2d 2d 20 2e 2d 2e 2e 20 2e 2e 2e 2d 20 2e 20 2e 2d 2e 20 2f 20 2d 2d 2d 20 2d 2e 20 2f 20 2d 20 2e 2e 2e 2e 20 2e 20 2f 20 2d 20 2e 2d 20 2d 2e 2e 2e 20 2e 2d 2e 2e 20 2e 20 2e 2e 2d 2d 2e 2e 20 2f 20 2d 20 2e 2e 2e 2e 20 2e 2e 20 2e 2e 2e 20 2f 20 2e 2e 20 2e 2e 2e 20 2f 20 2e 2d 2d 20 2e 2e 2e 2e 20 2d 2e 2d 2d 20 2f 20 2e 2d 2d 2e 20 2e 20 2d 2d 2d 20 2e 2d 2d 2e 20 2e 2d 2e 2e 20 2e 20 2f 20 2d 2e 2d 2e 20 2e 2d 20 2d 2e 20 2e 2d 2d 2d 2d 2e 20 2d 20 2f 20 2e 2d 2e 2e 20 2e 20 2e 2d 20 2e 2e 2e 2d 20 2e 20 2f 20 2d 20 2e 2e 2e 2e 20 2e 2e 20 2e 2e 2e 20 2f 20 2e 2e 2d 2e 20 2e 2e 2d 20 2d 2e 2d 2e 20 2d 2e 2d 20 2e 2e 20 2d 2e 20 2d 2d 2e 20 2f 20 2e 2d 2d 2e 20 2e 2d 2e 2e 20 2e 2d 20 2d 2e 2d 2e 20 2e 20 2e 2d 2e 2d 2e 2d 0d 0a

This is a serious matter. 

oh, sorry, that's mine. It's my IRL mute button.

I can't understand how the fuck I won first place in this mapping competition.

"Blah blah blah reverse racism blah blah blah this isn't what MLK dreamed of blah blah and this isn't what the founding fathers intended!!!"

Dude, Dr. King was a hero that called for things like forced desegregation and reparations and the founding fathers were evil people that owned, raped, and tortured other human beings. How does this help you? Where does this come from? Like do you just throw words together?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that xat still exists, let alone the fact that people still use it.

Brings back memories of this flash game I used to play that was pretty big around 2009. People playing the game would form their own little clans and make these yolasite hub pages which basically just embedded the game next to a xat chat room. Fun times.

I also remember asking my parents for money to buy whatever perks they had on there which is fucking stupid, but hey, I was 9.

Maybe I haven't done enough research, but I'm reading that Christian Arabs as an identity apparently exist, however, what I don't understand is, the majority of them are just various ethnic groups in middle eastern countries or from European descent who adapted the Arab culture and language but they don't even identify themselves as "Arabs" nor do they have anything to do with the original Arabic tribes, so how would they be classified as "Christian Arabs"? Good examples of these people would be, Syrian Christians, Copts, Rûm, Maronites, etc. What I'm wondering is, are there actually people who are descendants from the historical Arabic tribes that identify with the Christian faith, and can you distinguish them from say Greeks who've simply been "Arabized", or are the original Arab descendants exclusively Muslim for cultural/religious reasons?

Things I don't understand. I have something I don't understand that's related to current events.

Why would a country decide to build its biggest city, its capitol and center of its economy and trade, and have most of its population, within missile and shelling range of a country that's run by a fat, short 10 year old with a shitty haircut and a love of huge nuclear missiles to compensate for his tiny penis?

If you haven't figured it out I mean South Korea. Why didn't they put Seoul on the southern tip of the peninsula or something? Terrain, maybe? I'm gonna feel real bad for the people there when the shit hits the fan because some idiot decided that was the best place for a major city.

Mod edit: Leave racial stereotyping off the site. -Vae

Edited by Vae

20 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

Things I don't understand. I have something I don't understand that's related to current events.

Why would a country decide to build its biggest city, its capitol and center of its economy and trade, and have most of its population, within missile and shelling range of a country that's run by a fat, short 10 year old with a shitty haircut and a love of huge nuclear missiles to compensate for his tiny penis?

If you haven't figured it out I mean South Korea. Why didn't they put Seoul on the southern tip of the peninsula or something? Terrain, maybe? I'm gonna feel real bad for the people there when the shit hits the fan because some idiot decided that was the best place for a major city.

It's not like they expected NK to be batshit crazy when they started building the actual city of Seoul in, like, the 14th century or some shit, and you can't just move the capital to some place that's not equipped for it. By the time of the 20th and 21st century, it was too little, too late because Seoul was already one of, if not the, biggest city in SK.

My high school's new website design.

Before:

1Xre5tU.png?1

After:

YQBEEWj.jpg

Dear god.

Tried to hide most identifying information, but yeh, you get the point.

Not sure what the hell they're doing lol. It's been like this for over a month. Looks like it's been taken over by one of the freshman web design classes or something.

On 8/11/2017 at 6:22 PM, FenrirDarkWolf said:

It's not like they expected NK to be batshit crazy when they started building the actual city of Seoul in, like, the 14th century or some shit, and you can't just move the capital to some place that's not equipped for it. By the time of the 20th and 21st century, it was too little, too late because Seoul was already one of, if not the, biggest city in SK.

Doing a little quick research on this topic, during the Korean War the South Korean capitol was moved to Busan at the southern tip of the country, and Seoul was heavily damaged. Might have been a good idea to keep the capitol there instead of moving back to Seoul and rebuilding it. If shit hits the fan, a lot of innocent Koreans could get screwed over badly.

On 8/12/2017 at 3:14 PM, mapache said:

My high school's new website design.

Not sure what the hell they're doing lol. It's been like this for over a month. Looks like it's been taken over by one of the freshman web design classes or something.

I have yet to see a high school website that has a good design. They probably do get students/teachers to design them.

On 8/10/2017 at 10:08 PM, Crazy Lee said:

Also, unless the post was edited and whatever I typed was deleted, what exactly did I post that was racial stereotyping? If it's something still in the post above, and if it's what I think it is, I think you guys are reaching.

On 7/16/2017 at 4:25 PM, FenrirDarkWolf said:

My parents big rule for a while was no video games until the weekend until I was like... 14 or something

Wow, that's kinda cool, really, I mean, how you'd have to find other things to do, instead. If I had kids, I'd hate to see the crazy rules I'd come up with.

5 hours ago, Fossa said:

Wow, that's kinda cool, really, I mean, how you'd have to find other things to do, instead. If I had kids, I'd hate to see the crazy rules I'd come up with.

When I was younger I used to play outside a lot, imagination and all that fun stuff.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2017 at 4:02 PM, FenrirDarkWolf said:

When I was younger I used to play outside a lot, imagination and all that fun stuff.

I'm hoping to do that again, only older! Though the city has been fun, I don't understand why I thought it'd be a place I want to stay in for too long.

• Like 1

Theres different ways to hold them, but ideally you want to hold one still and firmly steady while the other one is the stick you manipulate. I usually have my middle finger hold down the base stick on my ring and pinkie finger. My thumb and index finger manipulate the other one. 

Just gotta find the grip that works for you. Its oddly satisfying.

Why music subculture celebrities glorify hardcore drug usage while simultaneously being sympathetic to the plights of those in rehabilitation or who have passed from doing so, why glorify it one moment but hate it the next? Is it a love-hate relationship? Are they aware what they're doing is toxic but they have fun with it until someone gets fucked by it?

So many major rock stars have big hits about drug usage, recently Ivan from five finger death punch got into rehab for his drug addiction issues, and he's committed to trying to get clean while his band supports his struggle.

I don't know, I suppose it just depends on drug tolerance and how responsible someone is with it, even then though there's a lot of crazy bands out there that are always reckless and doped up on the worst kinds of drugs out there.

Some exceptions definitely exist, I know shinedown definitely is about battling drug addiction, and rise Against seems pretty clean.

3 minutes ago, QT Melon said:

When a job application says "must be attentive to details" and when you reply...they can't spell your name right...even when it's printed right in front of them.

Well that's obviously why they're hiring someone that is attentive to details. Because they can't be arsed and need someone to be attentive for them. V:

4 hours ago, Vallium said:

Why music subculture celebrities glorify hardcore drug usage while simultaneously being sympathetic to the plights of those in rehabilitation or who have passed from doing so, why glorify it one moment but hate it the next? Is it a love-hate relationship? Are they aware what they're doing is toxic but they have fun with it until someone gets fucked by it?

Because you can like the fun side of a thing while also hating the negative effects? That's kind of obvious.

These things don't exist in black and white, and you're not forced to pick just one.

If I get drunk and end up feeling like shit because of a hangover, it doesn't mean that I'm going to hate the existence of alcohol in itself.
If someone dies in a skydiving or a carnival ride accident, it doesn't mean that people as a whole are going to condemn those forms of entertainment as being horrible and evil.
If someone gets horribly fucked up in a motorcycle crash, it doesn't mean that their motorcyclist friends are going to suddenly hate using theirs.
Etc.

The irony in your username is pretty appropriate, because people get fucked up by valium.
Doesn't stop people from using it.

1 minute ago, Toshabi said:

North Korea

An authoritarian regime. Had a nice deal with the USA where the US would provide fuel and other supplies at good rates in return for NK's guarantee not to even pursue civilian nuclear power.

The US leadership cancelled their part of the deal, put NK on the "axis of evil" and started running a negative public relations campaign against them. The regime saw the writing on the wall and developed rudimentary nuclear technology, most likely with Chinese help.

Western media typically downplays or omits provocative actions against NK (eg conducting military exercises right next to them, flying nuke-capable bombers near the border) but pays a lot of attention whenever NK does something (eg missile test).

Don't get me wrong, I prefer SK to NK but the NK leadership is well aware of what happens to countries that enter the USA's cross hairs. At the moment they're puffing their proverbial chest out, similar to what a small animal might do when confronted by a large animal.

North Korea also has the honor of being featured in Wargame Red Dragon ;D

latest?cb=20131116160208

North Korean KPAF MiG-29, green camouflage used to hide itself in dense foliage as that's where it spends most of its time due to lack of fuel ;V

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

An authoritarian regime. Had a nice deal with the USA where the US would provide fuel and other supplies at good rates in return for NK's guarantee not to even pursue civilian nuclear power.

The US leadership cancelled their part of the deal, put NK on the "axis of evil" and started running a negative public relations campaign against them. The regime saw the writing on the wall and developed rudimentary nuclear technology, most likely with Chinese help.

Western media typically downplays or omits provocative actions against NK (eg conducting military exercises right next to them, flying nuke-capable bombers near the border) but pays a lot of attention whenever NK does something (eg missile test).

Don't get me wrong, I prefer SK to NK but the NK leadership is well aware of what happens to countries that enter the USA's cross hairs. At the moment they're puffing their proverbial chest out, similar to what a small animal might do when confronted by a large animal.

North Korea also has the honor of being featured in Wargame Red Dragon ;D

latest?cb=20131116160208

North Korean KPAF MiG-29, green camouflage used to hide itself in dense foliage as that's where it spends most of its time due to lack of fuel ;V

But why do they like looking at things???????

20 hours ago, Jaspers said:

How does a single tiny speck of glitter sparkle so brightly? And why is it so hard to completely remove from clothes? I now understand that sprinkling glitter on someone is one of the most inconvenient things a person can do to someone.

That's exactly why this is a thing:

https://shipyourenemiesglitter.com/product/The-OG-Glitter-Bomb-54

• Like 1

On 02/09/2017 at 1:50 PM, Jaspers said:

How does a single tiny speck of glitter sparkle so brightly? And why is it so hard to completely remove from clothes? I now understand that sprinkling glitter on someone is one of the most inconvenient things a person can do to someone.

This is why my old guard director banned glitter.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Vae said:

Because you can like the fun side of a thing while also hating the negative effects? That's kind of obvious.

These things don't exist in black and white, and you're not forced to pick just one.

If I get drunk and end up feeling like shit because of a hangover, it doesn't mean that I'm going to hate the existence of alcohol in itself.
If someone dies in a skydiving or a carnival ride accident, it doesn't mean that people as a whole are going to condemn those forms of entertainment as being horrible and evil.
If someone gets horribly fucked up in a motorcycle crash, it doesn't mean that their motorcyclist friends are going to suddenly hate using theirs.
Etc.

The irony in your username is pretty appropriate, because people get fucked up by valium.
Doesn't stop people from using it.

Bluh, yeah I guess :/ I just mean that some of those drugs, such as cocaine and heroine, don't have much casual positive effects that aren't outweighed by drawbacks (as far as I'm aware), like other drugs that don't have heavy drawbacks and can be more easily enjoyed responsibly (Like marijuana, alcohol, and carnival rides?). There are a lot bands that abuse the hell out of those kinds of drugs and actively participate in reckless activities, they get sad when bad shit happens, but they still maintain usage of those drugs despite their heavy casualty. I suppose that's addiction for you...

Anyways, stupid question is stupid.It wasn't really a logic one it was an emotional "damn, that kind of sucks" one

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vallium said:

Bluh, yeah I guess :/ I just mean that some of those drugs, such as cocaine and heroine, don't have much casual positive effects that aren't outweighed by drawbacks (as far as I'm aware), like other drugs that don't have heavy drawbacks and can be more easily enjoyed responsibly (Like marijuana, alcohol, and carnival rides?). There are a lot bands that abuse the hell out of those kinds of drugs and actively participate in reckless activities, they get sad when bad shit happens, but they still maintain usage of those drugs despite their heavy casualty. I suppose that's addiction for you...

Anyways, stupid question is stupid.It wasn't really a logic one it was an emotional "damn, that kind of sucks" one

I wasn't taking a stance on the morality or intelligence of doing those things to begin with, and personally I wouldn't touch a lot of them.

The question, in the "Things You Don't Understand" thread, was why people glorify them.
And that's what I answered.
Because some people enjoy the experiences that come from their use.

If you wanted to just rant about this, it would have made more sense in the "things you hate" thread.

2 hours ago, Vae said:

I wasn't taking a stance on the morality or intelligence of doing those things to begin with, and personally I wouldn't touch a lot of them.

The question, in the "Things You Don't Understand" thread, was why people glorify them.
And that's what I answered.
Because some people enjoy the experiences that come from their use.

If you wanted to just rant about this, it would have made more sense in the "things you hate" thread.

But I don't understand it, not from my perspective. It doesn't seem sensible to me...probably because I'm not in a band with constant pressure and need to cut off from the world for a bit. I mean that in more of a "I don't get why people drink and drive" or something, it's really not smart and just sucks

I really don't understand why friends have to indirectly call me an idiot and act like I'm the dumbest person they've ever met all the time - I mean sure I'm rather slow but how about coming up with something new that I haven't heard dozens of times already? If you feel the need to insult me that strongly, at least try to do it better than that.

21 hours ago, Llamapotamus said:

Maybe I should send that to someone I don't exactly appreciate. :D