unpopular opinions

Joel

2 hours ago, Wax said:

Even though it's CollegeHumor, this video gives actually a pretty good message about weird furries. I too would be very uncomfortable seeing some lion man's speedo-clad bollocks all in my face.

I'm praying my comment got buried lol

11 minutes ago, major lee snake said:

Unpopular opinions, you say?  Well I'll confess one thing.

An A press is an A press; you can't say it's only a half.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

But first we need to talk about parallel universes

20 minutes ago, major lee snake said:

I still can't believe Prince died, yet hardly anyone said a thing about it.  Hell, even Billy Mays' death was somewhat publicized.

EVERYONE is talking about it.

Speaking of unpopular opinions, I was a lot more shocked and devastated by Chyna's death than Prince's.

54 minutes ago, major lee snake said:

I still can't believe Prince died, yet hardly anyone said a thing about it.  Hell, even Billy Mays' death was somewhat publicized.

I've been hearing tons about it. Then again, I'm not that far from his homeplace, so I've got the proximity thing going on.

He was the last person I'd have thought would be next to go. I cant believe just how many icons have left us in such a short amount of time. Rock is dying a literal death now. :\ 

2 hours ago, Vae said:

Socks and sandals are actually comfortable to wear together,
because your feet are warm, but they aren't sweating to shit while cramped up in your shoes.

They actually are comfortable, but one of the ugliest pieces of fashion, ever.

1 hour ago, major lee snake said:

Socks and sandals are the tell-all sign of a legit video game aficionado.  All they need is a trench coat and a katana, and they wouldn't look out of place in a game stop.

But I thought Chuck Taylors or Vans were the choice of gamers. Are you sure you're not just thinking about filthy weebs?

3 hours ago, Rabbit Head said:

Pretty much every fandom ever.

See pg. 174, "furry fandom".

9 minutes ago, Newt said:

I'll one-up you and say that Minecraft is not a fun game, and it has one of the worst (video game) fanbases.

It's fun to kill time with.

My unpopular opinion would be that spring is fantastic and totally worth the allergies.

1 hour ago, Newt said:

I'll one-up you and say that Minecraft is not a fun game, and it has one of the worst (video game) fanbases.

Minecraft with mods is extremely fun, and can make the game amazing... but the devs seem to be trying to kill off any kind of modding community by making Minecraft harder to mod, so I don't play it very much at all anymore.

I was on a plane full of other students and I disagreed with someone that "white women being involved in rap music oppresses black people by participating in their culture without having to pay the price of 'intersectional oppression'". An hour-long argument resulted with 6 other students, who were trying to convince me of the sin of 'cultural appropriation'.

Such bullshit; we should care only about the quality of a musician's performances, rather than their skin colour. I didn't realise this was, evidently, a minority position.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Endless/Nameless said:

I enjoyed Undertale so much when it first came out, but the fan culture around it has made me very uncomfortable. 

I've never had any drive to even play it

1 hour ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Im at a starbucks

...thats an opinion, right?

That's a fact!

9 hours ago, Saxon said:

I was on a plane full of other students and I disagreed with someone that "white women being involved in rap music oppresses black people by participating in their culture without having to pay the price of 'intersectional oppression'". An hour-long argument resulted with 6 other students, who were trying to convince me of the sin of 'cultural appropriation'.

Such bullshit; we should care only about the quality of a musician's performances, rather than their skin colour. I didn't realise this was, evidently, a minority position.

They're just afraid to admit that Eminem can outrap any black rapper. 

7 hours ago, LazerMaster5 said:

They're just afraid to admit that Eminem can outrap any black rapper. 

They said they didn't mind Eminem. They were upset about Iggy Azalea, because she 'sounds too black'. She had, according to them, appropriated the black voice and made it palatable to white people, whilst avoiding the subjugation that black people suffer. They thought that she represented the oppressor stealing the voice of the subjugated and profiteering from it.

I think this is all pretty ludicrous. I put it to them that telling someone they're not allowed to sing in a certain style because of their race, no matter what that race is, is racist. Their response was that only white people can be racist, because 'racism is a power structure'.

36 minutes ago, Gamedog said:

AAVE is one of the most unattractive things out there and I have no idea why people want to defend it like its some sort of gold treasure

I had to look up that acronym. I don't like rap music myself or have any particular fondness of any southern dialect of the USA. I just think that dictating that only black people are allowed to use that dialect and musical style is racist. Other people should be able to enjoy making music in whatever style they please.

It would be just as silly as banning non-hispanic chefs from cooking tacos to prevent the 'theft of culture from the oppressed hispanic class'. (Incidentally some people genuinely believe this)

The students I was arguing with even admitted they had 'absolutely no empirical evidence at all' (their own words) to support their claim that allowing non-black people to sing in a 'black style' contributes to the systematic oppression and victimisation of black people.

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

I had to look up that acronym. I don't like rap music myself or have any particular fondness of any southern dialect of the USA. I just think that dictating that only black people are allowed to use that dialect and musical style is racist. Other people should be able to enjoy making music in whatever style they please.

It would be just as silly as banning non-hispanic chefs from cooking tacos to prevent the 'theft of culture from the oppressed hispanic class'. (Incidentally some people genuinely believe this)

The students I was arguing with even admitted they had 'absolutely no empirical evidence at all' (their own words) to support their claim that allowing non-black people to sing in a 'black style' contributes to the systematic oppression and victimisation of black people.

Most people who defend AAVE don't even know what AAVE is, they think it's slang that's particularly popular among blacks, when in actuality it's the manner of speaking that made the crows in Dumbo notoriously racist

You don't need to be well-informed about everything to vote. The individual neurons of the brain haven't a clue what thoughts they contribute their specialized inputs towards forming.

What you DO need to be is open-minded, willing to discuss with civility, and the humility to change your mind when presented with new information. This the foundation of a greater mind, though not a perfect or infallible one for there can be no such thing.

• Like 1

part of the reason the current rock deaths are so shocking is because there are very few people who have come and made as notable an impact on music society anymore.

at the same time, just as classical no longer has eras defined by a set of composers but a trend of what many composers do, this might not even suggest that its due to lack of talent.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gamedog said:

AAVE is one of the most unattractive things out there and I have no idea why people want to defend it like its some sort of gold treasure

The funny thing is that there isn't just one AAVE. Even more, most forms of AAVE are not actually AAVE; they are just regional dialects from an area with large numbers of African Americans. I do defend AAVE out of a passion for language, but it bothers the heck out of me when people defend it when they have no idea what they are talking about.

I hate it even more when a person confuses a Southern dialect with a form of AAVE and defends that, or they mix a Southern dialect with AAVE and defend that creation. What they come up with usually sounds more like Tom or Huck speaking than it does Jim, and Twain didn't even make his accent much different.

I once disagreed with a person that argued that, if for nothing else, we should preserve AAVE for its unique use of 'been' and 'done.' All those times my mother hounded me to do things by saying, "I done told you," and me responding with, "I been done," - but more honestly either "I was fixing to been done" or "I done been on it" - were apparently just cases of us exercising our fluency in a form of AAVE.

11 hours ago, Saxon said:

The wonderful thing is that many black rappers do not actually speak or sing a form of AAVE, and modern rap owes some of itself to Hispanic influence. Some people seem not to understand how culture and language work.

Also, AAVE is not necessarily a Southern dialect. It shares features - many features - but it is different. It is like the "Amish" accent being in the North, but not being a Northern accent.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

Say that in a few years and you'll be lynched by angry 20-somethings out for blood.

But those will be post-millennials or whatever-they're-called-now.

1 hour ago, DevilBear said:

Want a real unpopular opinion?

Millenials really are a bunch of entitled babies.

I find a lot of millennials saying this that don't realize they are millennials by many definitions outside of their own.

"Yes, irate 30 year-old dude, you are a millennial."

I don't know what it is, but a lot of people are doing things to the bottom of their ears - i.e., putting holes in them. I saw one person who works at Best Buy where he twisted or something to the bottom of his ears that made them look like testicles, and I don't want to see that shit. I wish people would stop doing stuff down there because sometimes it makes them look absolutely disgusting.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2016 at 9:31 AM, LazerMaster5 said:

Minecraft is a fun game, but its fanbase isn't very good.

I really enjoy playing minecraft but I don't really care for the building aspect. i instead prefer the constant exploration and seeing all the new random made areas.

Also the menu music is great music to nap to.

Speaking of peaceful things i find riding an intense roller coaster calming and makes me feel very serene after.