Cartoons these days...

Vallium

Perhaps some expect from the title that Im going to be grumpy about "the good old days...", but quite the opposite. I love cartoons in general, cartoons are fun, cartoons are made by artists.

Cartoon Network and other networks suffered a brief period of terrible cartoons, made for what they think will entertain children and roll in cash. Essentially cartoons with potty humor, bland overcrazy characters, and no emotion.

I know with the coming of new and better cartoons 'recently', recently has been awhile now, and thats cool. I like seeing the new art styles and the new jokes and the new ideas the producers of the cartoon put into them.

Im quite fond of "Amazing world of gumball" which at first glance looks like a mindless cartoon but actually has interesting humor and the occassional interesting thought. I recently watched this newer one, 'bearstack' which I enjoyed within half an episode.

The only thing I can complain about is they seem to be trying to keep redoing old cartoons, I think even redux's have been done to death. Currently cartoon network has not one, but three, remakes of old shows. "Wabbit" for bugs bunny, a scooby doo remake, and "Teen titans, go". As a separate entity Go! Might be okay as humor show bringing back the characters personalities but the kids really do miss out on the coolness of the original.

TL;DR some cartoon rave/rant

Im actually looking forward to the power puff girls remake. I was hoping they'd do it in the cg animation they did for the special and I was also hoping they'd keep the old voice actors, but hey the new va's dont sound bad at all and the new style they're going for is slightly reminiscent of the original

Edited by DevilishlyHandsome49

Nowadays there seems to be a trend for old school superheroes. They're back like they've never been. Teletoon is filled with them now. That's probably why I don't care much about this channel today.

Gone are the days when I followed 10+ cartoons at a time. There's only a few that I find interesting. Even Pokémon made its return on Teletoon, but watching all the episodes to catch up on the series? Nah. They're now at what, the 17th season? Plus I would have to deal with the french names, ugh! A Charmander is a Charmander, period. And I won't even talk about the ridiculous number of pokemons out there.

>1st gen FTW

[/rant about Pokémon]

Though I kinda miss the Team Rocket. X3 I knew their intro speech by heart back in the day.

Perhaps some expect from the title that Im going to be grumpy about "the good old days...", but quite the opposite. I love cartoons in general, cartoons are fun, cartoons are made by artists.

Cartoon Network and other networks suffered a brief period of terrible cartoons, made for what they think will entertain children and roll in cash. Essentially cartoons with potty humor, bland overcrazy characters, and no emotion.

I know with the coming of new and better cartoons 'recently', recently has been awhile now, and thats cool. I like seeing the new art styles and the new jokes and the new ideas the producers of the cartoon put into them.

Im quite fond of "Amazing world of gumball" which at first glance looks like a mindless cartoon but actually has interesting humor and the occassional interesting thought. I recently watched this newer one, 'bearstack' which I enjoyed within half an episode.

The only thing I can complain about is they seem to be trying to keep redoing old cartoons, I think even redux's have been done to death. Currently cartoon network has not one, but three, remakes of old shows. "Wabbit" for bugs bunny, a scooby doo remake, and "Teen titans, go". As a separate entity Go! Might be okay as humor show bringing back the characters personalities but the kids really do miss out on the coolness of the original.

TL;DR some cartoon rave/rant

Gumball! That's a rare example of a recent cartoon that caught my attention. I wish I had a cartoon like that 15 years ago LOL.

Edited by Jerry

I've never really watched many cartoons besides Spongebob when I was younger and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy....

I wish they'd do a reboot of that show. Its one of my favourite cartoon series, I heard cartoon network has the rights to a sequel/reboot of the series.

Anyway alot of cartoon channels are bringing out fresh and interesting stuff ( albeit I never watch many of them). I feel old looking on cartoon network and only remembering watching about 2-3 of the shows,even though I'm still in my teens :/

Teen Titans Go! Isn't that bad. It's clever at times, and the creators clearly enjoyed the original Teen Titans. Although I'm still a bit salty toward that show because it takes such wonderful, well-developed characters and their awesome stories, as well as a great animation/art style, and then turns it into... well, a joke, basically. That's the point of the show :v

I don't actually watch toons anymore. The last one I watched that I really enjoyed would be Legend of Korra, if that counts. Amazing World of Gumball, and We Bare Bears seem alright, though. I've also tried watching Setven Universe, and it's alright but... overrated, to be honest.

The thing I personally miss the most about toons from 10-20 years ago, would be the art and animation styles. Characters would be full and fleshed out, animation quality was pretty sweet, and some of them would even be hand-drawn. Something I've noticed now is a lot of toons are something that looks like they were just made in Flash. Don't get me wrong - I still enjoy the art styles. But there's starting to be too many potatoes with limbs.

Edited by Hewge
  • Like 1

Call me a purist, but I really do not like any of those new Cartoon Network shows. I am happy watching the 'Golden Age of Animation' stuff with Tom and Jerry and the various Warner Brothers characters, during the 1930's to late 1950's.

Those 1960's Tom and Jerry made in the Czech Republic with Gene Dietzche's name on them are just total crap, as are most of the 1970's Hanna Barbera cartoons, (Specifically the Laff-O-Lympics and Wacky Races.) Others were "meh." I did like any permutation of The Flintstones.

Johnny Bravo was stupid, but it did make me laugh, so I thought it was cool when I was in the right mood. Likewise with Dexter's Lab.

And then let's not forget the Disney afternoon. There was only one stinker I thought in that series of cartoons and it was Bonkers, all the rest, solid gold.

I loved when they played Futurama, that show made me laugh all the time. But I do not like the shows Seth MacFarlane put on there, (That might be a separate rant for another time) Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen Hunger Force They sucked too and I didn't know why people thought they were good. I must have totally missed something when Spongebob Squarepants was on. I didn't understand that one either.

I do miss seeing Inuyasha, The Big O, Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, My favorite they played was Full Metal Alchemist on there. Their Anime kept me up late watching back when I watched TV. 

Edited by Skylar Husky
  • Like 1

It's really weird how things have gotten, because I'd argue that we actually have cartoons today that are of a far higher quality, both in animation, and in writing/storytelling, then there ever were pre-90's

By law of large numbers, when we had a lot more to choose from, it's easy to say that there was more quality stuff back then. And in a way, there was. There was just so damn much on the air that you had to be good in order to compete. But today, you have to be genuinely great, especially when it comes to the waning interest in television that sweeps pretty much all generations that fall under the age of 40. Which is also what necessitates the more simplistic styles and methods of animation for cartoons today. Things just need to be cheaper because children's television just isn't bringing in the numbers it used to.

But 'back in mah time', and the generation before mine as well, there was just a lot more in general. If a toy existed, it had a TV show.
A habit that has its roots in 80's cartoons that carried on until the later 90's, and still has some examples today.
Which resulted in a loooot of crap that we sorta just went with because we were kids and we didn't know better, and we liked action figures that you could do call Transformers-style shit with.
Sometimes these animated marketing vehicles managed to actually pull it off and be decent enough to still be around today, but a lot of it we can look back on, and realise that while we might have fond memories of cartoons 10-20, even 30 years ago, we'd be for the most part lying to ourselves if we can actually say in all honesty that they weren't kinda stupid, cheesy, and sometimes even lazy on so many levels. Most relied almost exclusively on their concept, rather than the quality of the show itself.

Some cartoons today do a pretty good job at still creating pretty, interesting, evocative environments in spite of being animated in Flash. My Little Pony does pull this off, it has some genuinely beautiful visual elements.
Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, and Adventure Time have managed to flesh out their worlds and stories through purely visual storytelling damn well expertly in spite of the more simplistic animation styles. And the sound design in all of them, particularly in Steven Universe, is right on point, and also serves to pull of some low-key hidden storytelling elements in the form of musical cues.

Just... Fuck whoever was in charge of Johnny Test's sound design is all I'll say about that.

Now, all that aside, if there was ever a show in my youth that was to be revived, visual style, themes and tones intact, perhaps for a Netflix only release, it would be Gargoyles.

Please give me more Gargoyles.
And maybe a cleanup, not a remake, of the Batman: The Animated Series for a Blu-ray release. I'd love to watch that in high definition. Such a visually striking, and very well written series.

• Like 1

Disney is renewing duck tales for next year. And I loved that show. Im both curious and apprehensive about this remake. 

Tho, I havent watched new cartoons recently, mostly cuz i dont have nick or cartoon network or disney channel, but WE BARE BEARS! MUST WATCH! Its actually quite enjoyable. and bears. who doesnt love bears.

I miss cartoons filled with innuendos and furries :V

That just reminds me I need to watch Gravity Falls again, shit was legit. Although that's probably because one of the producer's was one of the Homestar Runner guys if I remember right and aren't just imagining these things like a weirdo.

I do miss seeing Inuyasha, The Big O, Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, My favorite they played was Full Metal Alchemist on there.

Opinion discarded.

Edited by PastryOfApathy

I want more Sym-Bionic Titan. CN cancelled it a while back in the middle of its story. x_x

I love you. Not enough people appreciate how brilliant Gumball is. A lot of people look at it and see the weird clashing art styles and just think it looks stupid, but watching The Amazing World of Gumball is like watching a legit dysfunctional family. They seem so believable in how they interact, and its like I'm watching and listening to the thinkings of an actual child whenever Gumball or his sister or even that goldfish guy talk. Its wonderful. And I really love the 2D art for Gumball. Its just gr8.

I do miss seeing InuyashaThe Big OCowboy BebopWolf's Rain, My favorite they played was Full Metal Alchemist on there. Their Anime kept me up late watching back when I watched TV. 

The Big O and Bebop will probably make their way back on Toonami again. Just give it some time. I mean, AS pretty much owns never-ending rights to air the second season of Big O forever and ever since they paid for its production in part.

And man I loved Inuyasha. Probably one of the best longrunning action anime. 

Edited by Battlechili

Not counting anime I think the last cartoon I watched was Gargoyles. It was on before I went to school in the mornings. I've seen bits and pieces of newer ones on youtube when people linked to them (Spongebob, MLP, Steven Universe, something with a flying illuminati nacho thing for a character) but never felt compelled to pursue it any further than that.

I have been meaning to watch those Avatar series someday but... effort.

Was talking about this with my brother today. I really miss Codename Kid's Next Door and Ed Edd n Eddy. Those shows were so god damned awesome, and the sheer level of adventure present was through the roof. Good god, the Kids went to the moon and battled shitty super villain adults, and it was great. Just. So much imagination!

Then major shoutouts for Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, oldschool Spongebob (I have the first three seasons on DVD because I am a manchild), old school Fairly Odd Parents, Chowder, Dexter's Lab, Courage the Cowardly Dog (when I was in the mood), and hell, Wild Thornberries had a cool premise.

For the most part, I don't care for the new stuff. I tried a bit of it, but eh. Not for me. It's hard to say it's shit when I'm certainly way older and don't have the nostalgia factor, but then ... well, Uncle Grandpa is shit, right? Like, I saw two episodes and it was really bad. Same with Clarence.

But then Gravity Falls and MLP:FiM show up and both of those are amazing, Gravity Falls especially. What a fucking awesome cartoon.

• Like 1

I want more Sym-Bionic Titan. CN cancelled it a while back in the middle of its story. x_x

I love you. Not enough people appreciate how brilliant Gumball is. A lot of people look at it and see the weird clashing art styles and just think it looks stupid, but watching The Amazing World of Gumball is like watching a legit dysfunctional family. They seem so believable in how they interact, and its like I'm watching and listening to the thinkings of an actual child whenever Gumball or his sister or even that goldfish guy talk. Its wonderful. And I really love the 2D art for Gumball. Its just gr8.

The Big O and Bebop will probably make their way back on Toonami again. Just give it some time. I mean, AS pretty much owns never-ending rights to air the second season of Big O forever and ever since they paid for its production in part.

And man I loved Inuyasha. Probably one of the best longrunning action anime. 

even some of the plot regarding gumball...one episode featured the entire family having a shitty day, each telling how it went. In the end though, all their problems involved making the life of a minimum wage employee miserable. So much so that the employee quit, in the cartoon this person actually performed ALL important minimum-wage jobs in the small town so the entire town fell into post-apocalyptic chaos without them. The family realizes how awful they were to this person and apologized, and the person took their job again and were much nicer since. They even made a joke about monetary inflation.

that shit was real...the fact that they dealt with an ACTUAL problem in society. Couldnt believe I was watching a crazy cartoon with some thought-provoking content

@Conker Uncle Grandpa (and probably Clarence) do indeed suck

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

Why do they reboot anything?

1. because it's a safe investment. They know it will make money

2. they already have an audience that would watch it. Nostalgia works.

The nostalgia wears off rather quickly, so I don't see why its such a safe investment after all :U
Especially with damn Scooby Doo. Just let that show die pls or just show the originals. I'd watch that. 

I really, really like the more plot-based cartoons that have come out in recent years. Adventure Time was like, the best thing when it first came out (I still like it, although admittedly less than before) and I'm basically addicted to watching Steven Universe. Cartoons have so much more potential than we originally thought and its good to see that people are capitalizing on that. They don't just have to be silly gag shows for kids anymore. 

Edit: Clarence is actually decent. its sort of reminiscent of Ed, Edd, and Eddy. 

Edited by Monochromatic-Dragon